The Twisted

I Couldn't Care Less

LUHAN!!!”

Sehun's heart skipped a beat.

 

The older boy was standing in front of a red minivan, inches away from the car's bumper. His face was extremely pale, as if he seen a ghost. His eyes wide due to shock. His whole body was trembling.

 

The driver was yelling at him. “HEY KID! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL YOURSELF!?!”

 

But Sehun could only process one thing – Luhan was unharmed.

 

He ran over to where his boyfriend was standing and snatched him up, ignoring the shouts coming from the driver. The man eventually drove around them, leaving the two lovers in the middle of the street.

 

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?!” He shouted at Luhan, who seemed as though he was in a trance.

 

Sehun wrapped his arms tighter around Luhan. Both of their bodies shaking.

 

HOW COULD YOU RUN AFTER ME LIKE THAT?!!? WHY DIDN'T YOU LOOK BOTH WAYS!?! WHAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO YOU?!!” Sehun continued to shout at his boyfriend, his unstable voice nearly unrecognizable. His eyes began tearing up.

 

He didn't know which was worse – the thought that Luhan could have been seriously hurt or the thought that it would have been completely his fault.

 

The thought of losing Luhan only made it harder for him to breathe as he held the boy tighter. He's probably hurting the older boy, but right now he just needs to have Luhan as close to him as possible.

 

S-Sehun-ah,” Luhan finally spoke, snapping out of his daze.

 

And the tears came rolling down.

 

YOU'RE AN IDIOT YOU KNOW THAT?! THE BIGGEST IDIOT,” Sehun said in between horrendous sobs.

 

The idiot in his arms only buried his face in Sehun's neck, circling his arms around Sehun's waist. “Sehun-ah.”

 

Sehun couldn't tell which of their hearts was beating faster, but it didn't matter...

 

The only important thing is that Luhan was safe.

 

Safe in his arms.

 

Sehun-ahh,” Luhan repeated, voice muffled against Sehun's neck.

 

Promise me you won't do that again,” Sehun whispered in a hoarse voice.

 

His boyfriend nodded and pressed himself deeper against Sehun's chest. Sehun rested his face against Luhan's hair – waiting for his heart to calm down.

 

They stood there for a few minutes. Sehun taking in the beautiful sound of Luhan's steady breathing.

 

He almost forgot about the reason why he ran away.

 

Almost.

 

When they got back to the house, hand in hand, Luhan's mother knew something had happened but since neither of them wanted to say anything, she didn't question them. And for that Sehun was grateful.

 

You two look tired. I think you two should just sleep here for tonight and catch an early bus back to Seoul. How about it?”

 

You're right Mom. We'll spend the night.”

 

Luhan's mother clapped her hands. “Alright then! Sleepover!”

 

During dinner, they held hands under the table (since coming back, Sehun's hand has not once left Luhan's). Neither of them said much, but Luhan's mother didn't mind. She did her best to talk about different things, to lighten the mood, but Sehun could tell she was worried. If she found out that her only son almost got into a car accident, she would flip so it's better that she doesn't know.

 

That night, in Luhan's bed, Sehun ran his fingers through Luhan's soft hair while the boy cuddled his side.

 

Sehun-ah?”

 

Yeah?” Sehun lets his hands slide down to rest on Luhan's back. He knew what was coming.

 

Do you want to talk about it? About why you ran out like that?” Luhan murmured against his chest. Sehun could tell that Luhan was thinking about this the whole time, and that only now has the older boy found the courage to ask him.

 

It's nothing,” Sehun lied.

 

Luhan sees right through the lie. “You wouldn't have acted like that if it was 'nothing'.”

 

Sehun doesn't respond to that. Luhan sighed and pushed himself on his elbow to look at Sehun. “Are you sure it's nothing? You know you can tell me anything.” Not this....

 

Sehun gave Luhan what he hoped was a genuine looking smile. “I know. Don't worry about it – I'm fine.”

 

Luhan looked at Sehun – his big doe eyes searching for the truth behind Sehun's facade. Unable to find it, Luhan plopped down on his pillow.

 

Okay, Sehun-ah. I'm always here if you need to talk..”

 

I know.”

 

They stare at each other for a while before Luhan, who tried hiding his exhaustion, finally yawned. “Goodnight Sehun-ah.”

 

Night.” Sehun watched as Luhan's eyelids slowly close. “I love you,” he whispered.

 

I love you too,” Luhan whispered back before falling asleep.

 

Sehun laid there – eyes not willing to leave the sleeping boy. It was ridiculous and he was probably just paranoid, but he couldn't take his eyes off of Luhan.

 

He was afraid that if he looked away, even for a second, Luhan would somehow disappear.

 

If he falls asleep now, he may wake up to find that Luhan is no longer there. And the thought of that happening terrified him to the core.

 

With eyes still fixated on his boyfriend, Sehun caressed his cheeks. His heart fluttered when Luhan hummed softly in response to his touch.

 

Sehun's eyes wandered down to Luhan's pinky – where he imagines the red string that connected him to Luhan. When Luhan tied the red string around their pinkies that day, the older boy didn't know that they were bound to each other in more ways than one. Neither of them knew.

 

How could Luhan possibly have known that his stepfather was the same man that abandoned Sehun and his mother?

 

How could Sehun possibly have known that his father was the same man that beats Luhan and his mother when he drank?

 

Sehun shuts his eyes. Clenching his fist, he resisted the urge to scream.

 

To scream at how tangled their string of fate was.

 

To scream at how twisted life can be.

 

******

Luhan wakes up to familiar brown eyes gazing at him. “Mhhmm....Sehun-ah.” He scooted closer to his boyfriend, arms automatically making their way around Sehun's waist. He waited for Sehun to kiss him good morning like he always did....

 

Sehun doesn't.

 

Luhan looked at him. He opened his mouth, ready to ask Sehun what was wrong, but the younger boy cut him off.

 

We should get up if we want to get on the earliest bus back to Seoul,” Sehun stated. His voice wasn't groggy like it usually was in the morning. Did he not sleep?

 

When they got to the kitchen, Luhan's mom had a lavish breakfast prepared.

 

Mom...we can't finish all of this.”

 

His mother giggled. “I know that, but I couldn't decide on what to make for breakfast, so I -”

 

So you made everything?” Luhan asked his mother incredulously.

 

She nodded. “It took me a long time, so you two better enjoy it!”

 

While eating, Luhan noticed that Sehun wasn't really there. It seemed as though his mind was elsewhere. Twice Luhan had to tap him on the shoulder to get him to pass the orange juice.

 

At the front door, after telling them to be careful and to call her when they got to the house, his mother gave each of them a hug.

 

Luhan honey, make sure you visit me more often okay? Sehun, call me whenever he's giving you a hard time.”

 

Luhan had to stop himself from rolling his eyes at his mother (she would smack him in the head if he did).

 

Bye Mom.”

 

Bye hon -” His mother abruptly stopped when her eyes caught something in the distance. Sehun and Luhan both turned to see what she was looking at.

 

Luhan's heart rate quickly picked up. His hand instinctively searched for Sehun's hand. He doesn't know if he grabbed a hold of Sehun first or Sehun grabbed him first.

 

Hello,” the middle-aged man said when he walked up to them. His stepfather.

 

Luhan could feel his palms sweating, and he could feel Sehun stiffen next to him. When the man got closer to them, Sehun took a step protectively in front of Luhan. Surprised by the younger boy's move, Luhan's stepfather took a step back, as if to show that he meant no harm.

 

Luhan tried his best to calm his racing heart. He held Sehun's hand tighter, or was Sehun gripping his tighter? He couldn't tell.

 

He hasn't seen the man in almost over four years. His hair was graying, but otherwise he looked the same.

 

Luhan's mom, who was quietly witnessing all of this, cleared . “Luhan honey, shouldn't you greet him back?”

 

It's fine. It's fine. We haven't seen each other in long time. It'll take some time to get use to.” He smiled at Luhan. “You've grown up well. Heard from your mother that you're a sociology major? How is that going?”

 

Fine,” Luhan answered curtly.

 

Sensing the tension, the man decided that it was better not to continue the conversation. Instead he turned to Sehun, who Luhan realized was staring at the man the whole time. Expression unreadable.

 

And is this....?”

 

Sehun. My boyfriend.”

 

Ah. I see. Hi Sehun. Nice to meet you.” The man held out his hand and Luhan gulped.

 

Surprisingly, Sehun shook the man's hand – though Luhan notice that it was a very firm handshake, almost as if they were having a silent strength battle.

 

Nice to meet you,” Sehun replied, eyes still trained on the man in front of him.

 

Well you two should go before the bus leaves,” Luhan's mother spoke again and Luhan couldn't have been more grateful. He wanted to get out of here as soon as possible.

 

After waving bye to his mother, the two of them walked to the bus station.

 

Sitting on the bus, Luhan gave Sehun quick glances every now and then. The boy, who sat closer to the window, hasn't said anything since they left his house. Luhan was starting to worry. He was about to ask Sehun something when –

 

Is your stepfather Korean?”

 

Surprised by the sudden question, Luhan stuttered. “Y-yes.”

 

What's his name?” Sehun finally turns to look at him.

 

Bewildered as to why his boyfriend would want to know the man's name, Luhan gave him a puzzled look, but he answered, “Sun He.”

 

Oh.”

 

Sehun turns his attention to whatever was on the other side of the window, leaving Luhan alone with his thoughts. Alone with his questions.

 

Since that incident, Sehun has been acting different. Luhan would often catch Sehun staring at him, but it wasn't the same adoring gaze he use to give Luhan – it seems as though Sehun was trying to figure out something or was he hiding something? Regardless, the look he gave Luhan had a hint of pain that Luhan couldn't ignore. Only when he came over to nuzzle the younger boy did he break out of his reverie.

 

Also, the younger boy no longer initiates any skin contact. It was always Luhan who held his hand first, who kissed him first, who hugged him first. Luhan would be lying if he said it didn't hurt...

 

Aware that Sehun was bothered by something, Luhan desperately wanted to ask him, but he couldn't bring himself to do so because whenever they were alone, Sehun seemed distant.

 

Why did he run out like that? What happened? Why won't he tell me? Those thoughts slowly eating him inside.

 

One night, after deciding that he couldn't take it anymore, he asked his boyfriend, who was pretending to be asleep, “What's wrong?”

 

What do you mean?” Sehun responded, his back still facing Luhan.

 

Sehun-ah, I think I know you well enough to know that something is definitely up. Something is bothering you. I want – need to know. Did something happen? Did I do something wrong?”

 

No and no. I'm just tired. Sorry..”

 

Silence.

 

Feeling like he'll suffocate if he stayed there any longer, Luhan got up. He closed the door quietly behind him, after grabbing a bundle from under the bed.

 

Outside in the yard, he inhaled – taking in the much needed cool night air. He exhaled and unrolled the sleeping bag.

 

Months ago, he dreaded sleeping in the bag but now he was actually climbing into it on his own accord.

 

When he got situated in the bag's inner space, he looked up at the stars or at least he tries to – his vision was growing blurry. Tears were threatening to fall, but Luhan refused to let a single drop escape.

 

Crying would only make him feel worse.

 

******

Sehun jerks awake. Trying to catch his breath, he wiped the sweat that formed on his forehead. He had that nightmare again.

 

Ever since they got back from Busan, Sehun has been dreaming the same dream – he'd wake up to an empty bed and no matter how loud he screamed for Luhan, nothing happens.

 

Flipping on his back, Sehun turned his head to Luhan's side -

 

Did he not come back?

 

Realizing that he must have fallen asleep after Luhan had left, Sehun got up to look for his boyfriend. When he got downstairs, he expected to see a familiar lump on the living room couch, but seeing none, he turned his attention to the dark kitchen. He's not there either...

 

Luhan?” He called out only to be met with silence.

 

Lu?”

 

He ran back upstairs and gently knocked on Baekyeol's door. He cracked it open and stuck his head inside. Chanyeol, who was a light sleeper, cocked his head up when he heard Sehun open the door.

 

What's wrong maknae?”

 

Glancing around the room, Sehun could see that Luhan wasn't there. His head started throbbing. “I'm looking for Luhan hyung. Do you know where he is?”

 

No..you can't find him?”

 

No.” And that was when panic took over. Sehun started fidgeting with the door handle.

 

Chanyeol, sensing the younger's panic, told him, “Don't worry. He's probably around the house somewhere. Check the other rooms and the patio.”

 

Okay. I will.”

 

Sehun checked in all of the other rooms, but still no Luhan. He ran downstairs (tripping on the last step) and flicked on the light switch. There was nothing outside in the patio.

 

He ran to the kitchen, flicked on the light, and took a quick look around – no Luhan.

 

WHERE DID HE GO!??!?!?!

 

Sehun was about to run out the kitchen when something caught his eye. From the kitchen window, he could see a dark lump on the grass, near the tree. Luhan??

 

Sehun bolted out the door, not bothering to put on shoes. It wasn't that dark outside so Sehun could see the honey colored hair sticking out from the distance. Luhan!

 

******

What is one disadvantage of sleeping outside? You wake up to extremely annoying, loud chirpy birds.

 

Ughhhh. Luhan groaned as he opened his eyes. His face was a bit stiff from sleeping outside, but otherwise he was warm – especially his back.

 

He blinked rapidly when he noticed a sort of net in front of him. I don't remember getting a net.

 

Luhan froze when he felt a pair of arms wrapped around his torso. What the...

 

Slowly turning his head, Luhan found his boyfriend's face an inch away from his own. Sehun? What is he doing here?! Am I dreaming??

 

No, you're not dreaming,” Sehun mumbled, eyes closed.

 

W-wha-what are you doing here?” Luhan sputtered, unable to comprehend the situation. Why was Sehun sleeping outside with him? How did he even get in the sleeping bag without me knowing?

 

You honestly didn't think I'd let you sleep out here alone did you?” Sehun opened his eyes to meet Luhan's. A familiar warmth crept onto his cheeks as a result - Sehun hasn't looked at him that way since the incident.

 

Rendered speechless by his boyfriend's sudden change in attitude, Luhan turned around – his back towards Sehun.

 

He could hear Sehun sigh from behind him. The younger boy pulled Luhan closer to him. He ghosted his lips over Luhan's ear. “Are you mad?”

 

Luhan clutched the material of the sleeping bag – trying hard not to squeal at how warm his boyfriend's breath felt against his skin or how y alluring Sehun's voice was early in the morning.

 

Taking Luhan's silence as a yes, Sehun huffed. “I'm sorry. About everything.”

 

Luhan ignored the fact that Sehun's lips were still hovering too close near his ear, and tried to listen to what he was actually telling him.

 

Please don't stay mad at me.” Sehun kissed his ear. ASDFGHJKL. SEHUN!

 

Yahhh...Don't! No! Stopp!!” Luhan demanded when Sehun started nibbling his ear.

 

But you're enjoying it,” Sehun said (Luhan could hear him smirk).

 

No, I'm not!”

 

Your ears are red.” Sehun started planting kisses all along the side of Luhan's face while Luhan cursed his stupid ears for giving him away.

 

Giving up on resisting his younger (eager) boyfriend, Luhan shifted around to lay on his back with Sehun hovering over him.

 

Are you ever going to tell me why you ran out that day?”

 

He felt Sehun stiffen a bit, but the younger boy quickly relaxed. He smiled at Luhan before pressing his lips firm against Luhan's.

 

I love you,” he said when he parts their lips. Sehun lets his fingers run through Luhan's messy morning hair. Sensing that Luhan was watching him intently, Sehun shot him a real smile before kissing him again.

 

Luhan knew that Sehun was kissing him to distract him. To keep him from asking about the incident.

 

Only because he really missed having Sehun kiss him again, as in really really kissing him, Luhan lets it slide.

 

But he hasn't forgotten.

 

 

~~~~~~ Whew! A lot happened in this chapter. First of all - LUHAN IS OKAY EVERYBODY!!! NO PHYSICAL INJURIES!! Can't say the same for his emotional pain.  Also Sehun finally meets Luhan's stepfather!! Gasp. The tension. Also, don't judge Sehun too harshly for treating Luhan that way - he's traumatized from finding out that his father is Luhan's stepdad. And then the chapter ended in Hunhan fluff, though the problem remains unsolved. Will Sehun ever tell Luhan? Or will Luhan find out on his own? We shall see in the coming chapters. 

 

My favorite part of the chapter was Sehun's reference to the red string and also the last part where Sehun slept with Luhan outside in the sleeping bag..Awwwwwww :)

 

The chapter was quite difficult to write, that's why I couldn't upload it as fast as I had planned. Apologies to those who went insane waiting for my upload. I love reading your reactions so do keep on commenting! Hope you liked the chapter. Thanks for reading :D