The Silence

I Couldn't Care Less

Are you going to keep ignoring me?!” Sehun shouted at Luhan's back.

The older boy hasn't said anything to him and it's driving Sehun crazy. He doesn't know what he did to deserve this type of treatment......okay maybe he does.

 

Being 2 hours late to a meeting isn't exactly acceptable, but no matter how many times Sehun tried to explain that he didn't mean to be late, the older boy was mute. He didn't even acknowledge Sehun.

 

The fact that Luhan refuses to speak or even look at him aggravated Sehun. A lot.

 

YAH!! Tell me what's wrong!” Sehun practically screamed, having had enough of the silence.

 

Nothing.

 

The older boy just kept on walking ahead. Sehun glared at Luhan's back as he ran to catch up.

 

They were in front of the house and Luhan was getting his keys out when Sehun made a final desperate attempt to get the boy's attention. He grabbed a fist-full of Luhan's shirt and held on, as if his life depended on it.

 

Luhan stood frozen to the spot.

 

Can you at least tell me why...?” Sehun pleaded from behind him.

 

Luhan released a sad sigh. “Forget it,” he muttered so quietly that Sehun had to strain his ears to catch it.

 

Are you mad at me?” Sehun bravely asked, even if he was becoming deathly afraid of the answer as the silence continue to creep between the two.

 

Nothing.

 

Luhan didn't move nor speak. He couldn't. It was all too much. He was completely drained.

 

I'll take that as yes.” Sehun persisted, still holding on to Luhan's shirt. He was gripping it so hard, wrinkles would surely form if he lets it go.

 

Was it that important? Whatever it was, you can just tell me at home, why make me meet you at the playground? And since I didn't show up, you should have left. What kind of person waits 2 hours?” Sehun continued.

 

Luhan's eyes moisten, but he willed himself not to surrender.

 

He holds on to the tears... the tears that were threatening to slide down his cheeks. The tears that Sehun can't see.

 

Luhan sniffed. “I'm really tired.”

 

Sehun could only see his back, but he could tell that Luhan was trying his best to steady his voice.

 

A pang of guilt strikes Sehun.

 

He slowly lets go of Luhan's shirt.

 

The older boy put the key in the door and turns it. Sehun reluctantly followed him inside.

 

Hey Luhan hyung! How did it go?” The Baekyeol couple popped up in the hallway as soon as Luhan got in, almost as if they were waiting.

 

S-Sehun???” Baekhyun's eyes widen as he saw the maknae step in right behind Luhan. Both boys possessing dark expressions.

 

The Baekyeol couple exchanged glances with one another.

 

Sehun was about to ask them what, but Luhan suddenly slung his backpack off his shoulders.

 

Luhan ped his backpack and got out a pack of sparklers.

 

Here. I didn't get to use it, so..have fun.” He handed the pack to Chanyeol and left the hallway without another word.

 

Sehun watched the figure disappear from view. Once again, something tugged his heart. Why.....

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat. “Umm. You were with Luhan hyung?”

 

Sehun snapped out of it and turned his attention away from the spot where Luhan had been.

 

Yeah,” he simply answered. The couple once again looked at each other and nodded.

 

What??” Sehun questioned, slightly annoyed because he feels as though they know something he doesn't.

 

Nothing,” the couple exclaimed. They turned to leave, whispering to each other.

 

I need to lie down.

 

Sehun crept up the stairs. He was anxious for what awaits him at the top of the stairs. Finally, he stands in front of his bedroom, hand on the doorknob – not really sure if he should turn it. Was he ready to face Luhan? To be alone with him? Sehun gulped and twisted the handle.

 

Luhan was in his pajamas, walking towards the bed when Sehun came in. The older male stopped and bit his lip, looking uneasy.

 

Luhan doesn't meet Sehun's piercing gaze.

 

Sehun finally spoke, “Look. We need to talk about this since we share a room. I don't want a person I share a bed with mad at me. So just spit it out.”

 

Sehun waited for Luhan's response, holding his breath, but Luhan doesn't say anything. He just stood there, causing Sehun to grow impatient.

 

...I'll start then. The club had an emergency meeting. We had to arrange a new piece for the dean and the president was panicking, and it went on forev--”

 

What am I to you?” Luhan interrupted. He finally looks at Sehun – straight in the eye.

 

Taken aback, Sehun stuttered, “W-what?”

 

Am I not important?” Luhan continued, voice firm with an unreadable expression.

 

What? How is that question relevant--” Sehun knew he said something wrong. Luhan's unreadable expression turn to one of hurt. Sehun instantly wish he hadn't said that.

 

Beads of sweat were starting to form on Sehun's forehead and he could feel his head throbbing. Luhan's hurt expression quickly changed to one of indifference.

 

If you weren't going to come, you should have text me,” Luhan calmly stated.

 

I forgot okay?” Sehun blurted out. He saw Luhan's right hand balling into a fist.

 

 “It's not okay, Luhan said through gritted teeth.

 

Listen. This is all because of that stupid meeting. Can we move on? What was it that you wanted to talk about?” Sehun insisted.

 

Let's drop this all together,” Luhan said flatly.

 

No,” Sehun replied firmly. He really wanted to know the reason behind why Luhan is reacting this way.

 

It was nothing.”

 

Like I'm supposed to be believe that! It's obviously not nothing if you waited 2 hours. Only a dummy would wait that long.”

 

Don't. Call. Me. That.” Luhan pronounced each word with such intensity, it stunned Sehun.

 

I-I.. what else would I call you?! Are you really not going to tell me what it was you wanted to tell me!?!?”

 

Forget it! I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU RIGHT NOW!” Luhan raised his voice. His eyes were starting to get misty.

 

FINE!” Sehun shouted back and got in the bed. He pulled the covers over his head -- heart beating frantically.

 

He waited for what seems like hours to hear Luhan's footsteps, but soon the lights flicked off, and the room became dark.

 

Honestly, even if he knew that they just got in a big argument, he expected to hear a creak in the bed on the side that belonged to Luhan, but he never did. Instead, he heard the bedroom door close quietly behind the older male.

 

Sehun just laid there, staring at the ceiling, but not really aware of what he was looking at. At first he told himself, he just went to the bathroom, but hours later it was clear that Luhan was not coming back.

 

The bed had never felt so cold.

 

For hours, Sehun tossed and turned. He desperately wanted to sleep, to ease his still-throbbing head, but it evaded him.

 

Giving up, Sehun walked out of his room quietly, making sure not to wake his hyungs. When he got downstairs, his eyes automatically looked towards the couch, secretly hoping to catch a glimpse of familiar honey brown hair, but the couch was unoccupied. He sighed.

 

He walked towards the kitchen..The lights are on..I wonder if he is...

 

Sehun got to the kitchen and upon sight of the person in the room, his shoulders droop.

 

Hey Sehun. Ice cream?” Chanyeol offered. He had a huge bowl of chocolate ice cream and a bottle of whip cream next to the bowl.

 

No. I'm fine.” Sehun opened the fridge and got out a cool water bottle. He gulped down the drink. He watched Chanyeol eat his early morning (it was 2:15 A.M.) snack.

 

Sehun opened his mouth as if to ask something, but closed it before any words came out. Chanyeol caught this.

 

Luhan hyung is asleep in our room,” Chanyeol said, looking at Sehun – waiting for some kind of a response from the maknae.

 

Oh.”

 

Sehun bid his hyung good night and left the kitchen. When he got to his door, he couldn't stop himself from glancing towards the door next to his room, the door to Baekyeol's room. The door that had Luhan behind it.

 

Sehun ruffled his hair in frustration. Why was he even frustrated? He shook his head and went inside his room.

 

He didn't get much sleep.

 

The next morning during breakfast, Sehun was picking at his food when Luhan walked in. Sehun looked up at him. Looks like he slept fine. Sehun mentally slapped himself for worrying about the older boy.

 

Unlike the previous weeks, Luhan didn't sit in his usual seat (the one directly in front of Sehun), instead he sat at the other end of the table. Without knowing, Sehun sighed.

 

Sehun kept his head down, eyes glued to his boring cereal, but whenever he hears Luhan's voice from the other end, he would stiffen. The older boy was talking to his other hyungs like normal. Sehun clenched his teeth.

 

Why am I feeling like garbage?Why is he affecting me so much?

 

Even when the group walked to campus, Luhan, who would usually walk next to him, stayed away. Sehun did his best to act unconcerned, but he knew better.

 

During lunch, Sehun's eyes quickly searched around the cafeteria for a certain person.... Luhan wasn't there.

 

Sehun mentally cursed as he sat down. He wasn't really in the mood to eat, and he knew perfectly well that his roommate wouldn't come...

 

But a small part of him wishes that Luhan would find him sitting alone and join him like he always did.

 

Sehun stared at the strawberry cake on his tray. He hated strawberry-flavored cakes, but he would always get it because..........

 

FLASHBACK (Weeks earlier)

 

Sehun-ah!” Luhan waved excitedly at the maknae from across the cafeteria. He then swiftly made his way towards Sehun, placing his tray down with a clang.

 

They have strawberry cake today!! I wanted to get more than one but the dessert lady wouldn't let me!” The older boy exclaimed, pouting a bit.

 

Sehun gave the boy his piece. Luhan eyes widen. “You're giving me your strawberry cake?” He was reluctant to accept the yummy piece of cake.

 

Just take it. I'm full so I don't want it.” Sehun shrugged.

 

Oh-okay! Thanks Sehun-ah!” Luhan bit into the cake, often looking up at Sehun and smiling. Sehun rolled his eyes, but he was really trying not to chuckle at the cute boy.

 

(Minutes earlier)

------Sehun was in line getting his food when he heard a familiar voice coming from the dessert section. He looked towards the direction and spotted Luhan.

“WHATT!! I can't get another piece?!?! What if I pay for it??”

Luhan was glaring at the lady, who kept shaking her head. “We can only give each student one. Cafeteria policy.”

Luhan had his mouth wide open, still shocked.

“Cafeteria policy!?!? That's stupid!”

The lady pointed for him to leave.

Come on...noona...” Luhan was trying to work his aegyo on her, but she didn't soften.

After giving her one last cute pout, he gave up and went to the drinks area.

Sehun came over to the dessert area (an area he doesn't visit often), took one strawberry cake and placed it on his tray. ------

 

FLASHBACK ENDS

 

From that day on, Sehun would always grab something from the dessert area because he knew Luhan would most probably want a second piece.

 

It became a somewhat enjoyable routine – Luhan would keep on eyeing the dessert on Sehun's tray. Sehun would then lie that he was full and couldn't finish it, giving it to the older boy instead.

 

Sehun got up and threw away the untouched food. Lunch wasn't appealing anymore.

 

The rest of the day, Sehun became extremely moody. His classmates noted that he was scarier than ever.

 

At home, he tried to keep his mind off the other boy. First, he spent an hour playing on his keyboard, but it soon got boring. He later joined his hyungs in the living room. He was watching Tao and Chen play a video game, but his mind was elsewhere.

 

It's raining really hard out there,” Xiumin said as he looked out of the window.

 

Did Luhan hyung bring an umbrella?” Suho asked. He came over to the couch, ready to sit next to the maknae, who abruptly stood up and ran up the stairs.

 

What is wrong with Sehun?” Xiumin asked. Suho shrugged, clearly puzzled as well.

 

Seconds later, the maknae came down with something in his hands. He walked past his hyungs; without saying bye, he was out the door and in the pouring rain.

 

Under his umbrella, Sehun stood in front of Heavenly Cafe. He noticed that Luhan was wiping the tables.

 

Judging from how everyone else left as soon as they were done cleaning, and Luhan was still taking his time inside the cafe, Sehun knew that the boy didn't bring his umbrella.

 

Luhan hesitantly walked towards the door of the cafe (his boss was making him leave so he could lock up) and opened it, feeling the cold wind hit him. He frowned.

 

But from the corner of his eye, he spots something.....an umbrella.

 

Luhan looked around outside, checking to see if the owner of the umbrella was near.

 

Seeing nobody, he took the umbrella and opened it – it had music notes all over. Luhan smiled.

 

Luhan was turning the corner when he noticed someone a few feet away from him -

 

A familiar silhouette wearing a soaked teal hoodie.

 

 

~~~~~~ Awwwww Sehunnie :/  Since a few of my readers request that I make Sehun suffer, I did.  Honestly Sehun would suffer regardless because he can't get away with hurting Lulu like that! Not with me as the author! Lol. How was it? Is he suffering enough? More? Hehe.

Favorite part - the flashback..cute how Sehunnie gets dessert to share with Lulu :)) 

Comment and subscribe! THANKS!!