The Memory

I Couldn't Care Less

FLASHBACK (Beijing, China)

 

Luhan honey, you have to cut down on your sweets! Eat more fruits!” His mom demanded as she handed him a plate of strawberries, taking away his bag of cookies.

 

Luhan eyed the plate with disappointment.

 

“Mom, can't you bake strawberry cake instead? I'll definitely eat that,” an 11 year old Luhan pouted.

 

She giggled, “What's the point of me telling you to eat less sweets if I make you a cake?”

 

Luhan opened his mouth to respond but she cut him off, “Even if it is strawberry cake.”

 

Knowing that he'll never win against his mother, he grabbed a plump strawberry and popped it in his mouth. Ugh, cake is better..

 

Luhan went back to what he was doing before – laying on his stomach, watching his favorite cartoon.

 

BANG. BANG. BANG.

 

Someone was pounding against their front door. Luhan didn't really pay it any attention, but his mother's eyes widen in fear. She hastily ran to the shoe closet and grabbed a pair of Luhan's shoes.

 

OPEN THE DOOR!! DAMMIT! LET ME IN!!” A man hollered from the other side. Luhan finally looked up from his spot near the television.

 

Mom, isn't that --”

 

Luhan go play outside for a few minutes. I see fireflies. Why don't you go catch some to show me?” His mother interrupted, pulling him up from his spot. She handed him the shoes and ushered him out to the backyard.

 

O-okay!” He puts on his shoes and runs outside. His mother closes the door but not before telling him to stay outside until she came out to get him.

 

This has been happening a lot lately. She would abruptly tell him to play outside or go run errands for her. Luhan honestly didn't mind because he liked playing outside and whenever he went to the store, he would stock up on candy (his mom doesn't know about his secret candy stash).

 

It was a breezy summer night. Looking around his backyard, he spots plenty of fireflies flying around. He smiled. This is going to be fun! But then he realized he didn't bring a jar to catch the fireflies. Darn!

 

Luhan walked back to the door, but suddenly stopped. He hears banging noises and muffled voices.

 

CRASSSHHH. He hears something breaking against the floor. Worried, he twisted the door handle and stepped in.

 

Mom, what is going on--”

 

Luhan gasped. His mom was on the floor, gasping for air. A man had his hands on . His stepfather.

 

But he didn't look like himself. He was extremely red in the face, his eyes unreadable, his clothes shaggy.

 

What is happening?....M-mom???

 

Luhan's mom, with terrified eyes, ordered him to leave. “Luhan, you're not supposed to be here! Go outside!” Her voice came out raspy. 

 

He, however, did the complete opposite. He ran towards the man and starting throwing punches with his little fists.

 

LET GO OF HER!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY MOM?!??!?!” Luhan screamed as he continued to pry the man off of his mother.

 

The man snapped.

 

He release the grip he had on Luhan's mother and turned towards Luhan. The boy froze. Those eyes. Those bloodshot eyes were coming towards him, but before he could react, the man grabbed a fist full of his collar and roughly smash him against the wall.

 

AAAHHH OWWWW

 

His mom lets out a deafening scream, but Luhan doesn't hear it. He could only feel the burning pain that was the result of his back slamming against the wall. It stings.

 

SUN HE LET HIM GO!!!” His mom got up from where she was and took hold of the man's arms, trying to pull them away from her son. The man didn't budge.

 

Glaring at Luhan, he snarled, “You listen here punk! I am your father. Whatever I do with your mother doesn't concern you! If you interfere again, I will do more than push you against the wall.”

 

Still pinned against the wall, hearing his mom crying, begging the man to let him go, Luhan does the unthinkable - he talks back.

 

You. Are. Not. My. Father.” He clenched his teeth at the man.

 

His mother's eyes widen, extremely scared for her son's life now. The man, however, scoffed and inched closer to his face. His breath reeked. 

 

You're right. My son would at least look like a boy. Just look at you! You're just a pretty little wuss. A pathetic excuse for a son.” He jeered at Luhan, whose eyes were starting to water.

 

He doesn't know any better! Let Luhan go!!! He's just a boy!” His mother continued to beg.

 

His stepfather ignored her and continued, “Don't try to be the hero. You little princess.” He let out a devilish laugh.

 

Luhan just glared at him, refusing to show signs of defeat.

 

The man growled, “Don't give me that look. You're just a kid. Learn your place!”

 

And you need to learn not to lay a hand on my mother.” Luhan replied with a shaky voice. He knew he was going to get it now, but anything was better than letting this man have his way.

 

The man raised his right hand, ready to smack Luhan's face with it.

 

WHY YOU LITTLE --”

 

Luhan winces. Bracing himself for the impact he knew was coming, he closes his eyes, but it never came.

 

He heard a loud smashing sound and what sounded like china falling on the floor.

 

ARGHH!!” His stepfather moaned.

 

He slowly peeked and saw that his mom had grabbed the plate on the table and smashed it against the man's head. He was now howling in pain, crouched over holding his head.

 

Seizing the perfect opportunity, Luhan's mother snatched him away from the wall and threw him in his room.

 

MOM!! WHAT ARE YOU --”

 

Luhan! BE QUIET AND STAY IN HERE!” She ordered. Shocked by the fact that his mother was raising her voice at him (it was the first time), he stood still.

 

She left him inside the room and he heard her locked the door from the outside. Panic strikes him.

 

M-MOM. MOM! MOMM!!” He yelled, banging his fist against his door.

 

His heart skips a beat when he hears the familiar deep voice yelling from the other side of the door. He couldn't make out the words, but he knew they were directed angrily towards his mother.

 

Luhan hears more banging and slapping. His body started shaking until finally his wobbly legs gave in and he fell to the floor. Realizing that he can't do anything to save his mother, he lets out a heartbreaking cry. Tears start making their way down his cheeks.

 

For hours, Luhan, still on the floor, had to hear his mother's muffled screams. Dark thoughts start to swirl inside his mind. What if he kills her? What if I can't ever see her again?

 

Those dark thoughts terrified him to the core.

 

Having cried himself to the point of exhaustion, Luhan's eyelids start to close. Before he knew it, he had fallen asleep.

 

But he could still hear the muffled screams....even in his dream. 

 

Luhan honey..wake up.” His mom's soothing voice called out. He wakes to find himself on his bed with his mom sitting on the edge.

 

He doesn't say anything. He just looks at her. Taking in her appearance as if he was seeing her for the first time. What happened last night forever changed how he perceives his mother. 

 

Although she covered her bruises with makeup, he knows they're there. He frowned. 

 

Mom. Why did he do that to you? We should report him!” He muttered.

 

No. Luhan listen to me. Your stepfather was not himself last night. He didn't mean to hurt us.” She reasoned, but he could tell she was also trying to convince herself that what she said was true.

 

He looked away. She sighed, “Luhan. Look at me.”

 

She gently caress his cheeks, urging him to turn around and face her. He obliges.

 

I'm okay. You don't have to worry about me honey. I can take care of myself.” She smiled. He grimaced. It was a painful smile.

 

Mom, why was he like that?..I've never seen him like that.”

 

With a sad tone, she answered, “He had a few drinks and needed to get his frustrations out.”

 

By hurting you??”

 

Better me than you.” She ruffled his messy hair affectionately. It pained Luhan. The thought of his mother taking a beating for him was, to say the least, unpleasant.

 

Mom, can't we leave him? We can go live elsewhere. That way he won't hurt you anymore,” Luhan pleaded.

 

His mother shook her head and calmly replied, “I can't leave him.”

 

Why not?!?”

 

Because I love him.”

 

Luhan, unable to say anything, just stares at his mother disbelievingly. He didn't understand how someone could love a person who hurts them. Mom...

 

She continued, “Now I know this is a lot to ask of you, but I need you to be a big boy and just act like it never happened.” N-never happened?...what? How can I? 

 

I can't do that Mom. I can't,” He said flatly.

 

Try. Try for me. Please.” She squeezed his hands. Feeling her warm hands on his, Luhan couldn't help but cry. He can't believe his mother was asking him to forget the whole incident.

 

He murmured quietly between his sobs, “F-fine.”

 

She kissed his forehead and told him, “I love you Luhan.”

 

I love you too Mom.” He wiped his tears with the back of his hand.

 

Good. Now come eat breakfast. I made your favorite chocolate chip muffins.”

 

He forced a small smile onto his face. It was time to act like everything was okay...

 

FLASHBACK ENDS

 

Luhan opens his eyes. With the memory still raw on his mind, he takes out his phone and dials a number.

 

Hello?” A woman's voice answered on the other line.

 

Hi, Mom,” Luhan said weakly.

 

Luhan!! Honey! Is everything okay? Why are you calling?” Her voice was laced with excitement and concern.

 

I just wanted to hear your voice.....I miss you.”

 

Awwww. My baby misses me,” the woman on the phone cooed.

 

Mom, I'm not a baby!” Luhan groaned.

 

His mom giggled. He soften at the familiar sound. His lips curved slightly upwards.

 

Okay okay. You big baby,” his mom joked.

 

Mommm.”

 

His mom laughed. “Alright. Alright. I won't call you that – even if you are my precious baby.”

 

Luhan smiled. “Mom, I really want to see you.”

 

Hm?”

 

I'm coming to see you,” Luhan exclaimed as he got up from the step and made his way down.

 

What about school?” His mom asked, clearly shocked about his sudden proposal.

 

It's fine. I'll call you when I get there.” After saying bye to his mother, Luhan left campus.

 

He bought a bus ticket to Busan and waited for the bus to arrive. Even if he didn't have anything packed, it didn't matter- he wanted to just leave for awhile.

 

He desperately wanted to get out of Seoul.

 

When he had decided to transfer to Korea to finish his education at Suk-Myeong University, his mother had came along. She lives in Busan, a port city south of Seoul, in a small house next to people she knew when she was back in China. She lives alone.

 

Looking out the window, he sighed. The trip will definitely be a lonely one

 

 

~~~~~~ 24 hours wasn't that bad right? Lol. To make up for the crazy cliffhangers I've been leaving you with, expect a double update!

More will be revealed about Luhan's past - like what happened after that incident? Why is his mom in Korea? Where is the stepdad? Etc. It'll come sooner or later :) 

To be completely honest, I am stuck on how I want Luhan to act around Sehun when they see each other again....but after a few angsty chapters, I'm in the mood for fluff!! But I know the next chapter being fluffy is pushing it, so it won't be, but soon! 

Thanks for commenting!!