The Patient

I Couldn't Care Less

 

Sir, can you please drive a bit faster?! I need to get to the hospital!” Sehun half-hollered at the taxi driver, who merely glanced back at him. The man didn't drive any faster causing Sehun to groaned loudly in the back. If he wasn't seated between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, he would be banging his head against the window at how slow the car was moving.

 

Sehun, you need to calm down. Luhan hyung is perfectly fine,” Baekhyun said, trying to use his soothing voice on the antsy maknae.

 

Sehun glared at him. “Then why is he at the hospital if he's 'perfectly fine'?”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and sighed. “Were you not listening when we explained to you why Luhan hyung is at the hospital?”

 

All I heard were the words Luhan and hospital in the same sentence, and that is enough to – sir, can you PLEASE DRIVE FASTER!?” Sehun barked at the man before Chanyeol grabbed his mouth, muffling the maknae's cries.

 

Sorry sir. He's just an overprotective boyfriend. Don't pay him any attention,” Baekhyun told the driver, while giving Sehun a nasty look, as if he was embarrassed to be in the same cab with such a person.

 

Now Sehun, I will let go if you promise to behave. Stop yelling at the innocent man. He can't be speeding or else he'll get a ticket. Do you want that to happen?” Chanyeol asked, hands still on the maknae's mouth. Sehun shook his head and after deciding that Sehun will cooperate, the older boy released his grip.

 

Baekhyun placed his hand on Sehun's thigh. “Sehun, listen to what we have to say. ALL OF IT.”

 

They're treating me like a psych patient. Sehun resisted the urge to scowl at his hyungs and took a deep breath.

 

That's it. Take a deep breath. In and out. In -” Sehun shot Chanyeol a murderous look. “Okay never mind.”

 

Baekhyun squeezed Sehun's thigh. “Luhan hyung is okay. He's conscious now.” C-con-conscious?!?!

 

Sehun's eyes widen in panic, his mouth hanging open (that was when Baekhyun realized he chose the wrong words).

 

Scratch that! I didn't mean it,” Baekhyun said, trying to do some damage control. Too late.

 

WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE'S CONSCIOUS NOW?! WHEN WAS HE UNCONSCIOUS?!”

 

Chanyeol had to hold Sehun back from pouncing on the smaller hyung.

 

Sehun if you don't stop acting like a crazed animal, I'm going to tell Luhan hyung about this,” Chanyeol threatened.

 

It worked because Sehun stopped fidgeting. He may be worried sick about his boyfriend, but he knew that if Luhan found out about how he almost attacked jumped on Baekhyun, he would be in some serious trouble.

 

Chanyeol lets go and gave his petrified boyfriend a comforting pat on the back. Sehun remained still, though he was shooting lasers at the taxi driver because it's been 10 minutes and they were no where close to the hospital.

 

Tell me what happened. Start from the beginning,” Sehun said calmly.

 

Baekyeol couple glanced at each other, clearly nervous at the maknae's change in tone. Baekhyun cleared his throat.

 

When Luhan hyung got back from the airport, he wasn't feeling too well, but he told us he'll be fine after taking some aspirin,” Baekhyun claimed.

 

He insisted on going to work at the cafe, even though Baekhyun and I offered to take his shift,” Chanyeol added. “After work, he wasn't looking too good – pale and kind of green.”

 

Later at night, he started vomiting – a lot.” Sehun mentally groaned at how horrible this story is going.

 

Then in the middle of the night, Baekhyun and I heard him going downstairs to drink some water, but we heard a loud thud instead. We rushed to the kitchen and found him on the floor uncons-” Chanyeol decided not to finish saying that particular word, aware that Sehun was now clutching the seat, knuckles white.

 

He probably fainted because of his ridiculously high fever. We took him to the hospital, and rest assure, he is doing fine now.”

 

Yeah, we visited him before we went to the airport to pick you up. He's back to normal.” Chanyeol chuckled. “He even asked us to sneak in some chocolate cake from home.”

 

Sehun couldn't help but roll his eyes at the last part – even when sick, his boyfriend could not neglect his unhealthy obsession with sweets.

 

Why didn't you guys call me sooner?” Sehun asked, though he already knew the answer. Stupid Luhan probably didn't want to worry him.

 

He told us not to call you, saying that you'll go nuts if you knew.”

 

And he wasn't wrong about that part,” Chanyeol quipped, eyeing the maknae accusingly.

 

Sehun sighed. “Sorry.”

 

Baekhyun gave him a small smile. “You're forgiven. We understand.”

 

Can we keep this little incident among us?” Sehun mumbled.

 

Chanyeol arched a brow. “You mean the part where you almost chewed Baekhyun out?” He exaggerated.

 

Or the part where you almost cursed an innocent old taxi driver?” Baekhyun added with a playful smile.

 

Both,” Sehun murmured, not looking at his hyungs.

 

They laughed. “Okay, we won't tell Luhan hyung.”

 

When they finally got to the hospital, Sehun ran out of the taxi, waving his hands absentmindedly at his hyungs, who simply grinned. Deciding that Sehun really needs to spend some alone time with his Luhan hyung, the pair did not follow him into the hospital, choosing to go home instead.

 

Taking the stairs instead of the elevators (he has no patience for elevators during moments like this), Sehun arrived on the 5th floor, where Luhan was supposedly in room 521. When he got in front of the door, he held on to the door knob and twisted it, opening the door just a smidge. He stopped himself from opening the door fully when he heard voices in the room. One of the voices definitely belonged to his boyfriend, and the other was an unfamiliar one – a woman's voice.

 

Luhan honey, how do you expect me to live peacefully if you're fainting all over the place and running fevers of 105?” Luhan honey?

 

Mom, I'm fine. And I didn't faint all over the place – just the kitchen.” Oh, she's his mom..I shouldn't interrupt.

 

Hush. Where did you go? Why did you get on a plane when you know you'll get sick?”

 

Luhan mumbled, “Jeju.”

 

Jeju?!?!? What does Jeju have that was so important that you hopped on a plane? You could have taken a ferry boat!”

 

Sehun,” Luhan said softly. Sehun felt a twist in his stomach at the mention of his name.

 

Sehun?? You mean to tell me the reason why my first trip to Seoul is to the hospital is because you wanted to see your boyfriend?? You could have just video chat him honey.” She knows about us?

 

Mom, it's not the same,” Luhan whispered.

 

Well, was it worth it?”

 

Y-yes...” Sehun could tell Luhan was blushing because he could feel his own cheeks warming up from just eavesdropping.

 

Luhan's mom sighed. “I think I need to have a talk with Sehun -” Sehun felt a lump in his throat. “- to ask him what kind of spell he cast on my only son to make him this lovesick.”

 

Mommmm,” Luhan whined. “I'm not lovesick.”

 

Lovesick or not, you're lying in a hospital bed,” his mom deadpanned. “Imagine how worried I was when that nice friend of yours, Suho I believe, called me to tell me you were admitted to a hospital. I broke my favorite tea cup, the one with the cute blue jay, when I heard the news.”

 

Mom, I'm good now. They're just keeping me here overnight to run some mandatory tests.”

 

Yes, because you were unconscious for an hour.” Sehun felt his chest tighten. An hour??

 

Where is Sehun anyway?” Luhan's mom asked and Sehun felt his whole body stiffen. He wanted to enter the room and see Luhan, but his body was not cooperating, too scared of what was waiting for him beyond the door.

 

His plane should have landed 30 minutes ago,” Luhan answered.

 

Why isn't he here yet?” Crap.

 

He's probably freaking out in the back of some taxi.” Sehun's lips twitch upwards at Luhan's reply. His boyfriend knew him too well.

 

Good,” Luhan's mom stated.

 

Mom. It's not Sehun's fault I'm here.”

 

I know, but he should still freak out if his boyfriend is this sick. By the way, do you need me to stay overnight with you?”

 

No Mom.”

 

Luhan's mom giggled. “I get it. Sehun is going to stay with you right? Don't want your mom here to make it awkward. Gotcha. Tell Sehun not to keep you up or else -”

 

Sehun had to stop himself from choking on his saliva. Luhan's mom was definitely not a typical mom.

 

Mommm!” Luhan cried out, probably flailing his arms around (Sehun couldn't see).

 

His mom was laughing softly when a phone suddenly rings. Sehun heard some fumbling going on and he assumed that it was Luhan's mom trying to turn off the phone because the ringing stopped. There was a certain uneasiness in the air, he could feel even through the door.

 

Who was it?” Luhan asked. The playful mood quickly shifted to a somber one.

 

That was....him,” his mom replied, voice a little unsure of how to answer.

 

A deadly silence filled the room.

 

Sehun could tell that this was definitely something he shouldn't be eavesdropping on, a personal family matter, but he couldn't tear himself away from the door.

 

Mom..you...” Luhan broke the silence, voice noticeably shaky.

 

Luhan honey, I know what you're going to say, but it's different this time. He's different.” She whispered the last part.

 

Luhan scoffed. “You believe everything he says.”

 

He changed.” It sounded like she was pleading to her son to believe that the words she'd said were true.

 

I don't know why you can't let him go,” Luhan exclaimed sadly.

 

You should have a better understanding of why - now that you have Sehun. Love is complicated honey. It's not something you can easily end, no matter how hard you try.”

 

I don't think you tried hard enough.”

 

Luhan.” His mother's voice now stern. “I know you're worried about me, but I don't need you to decide this for me.”

 

Mom, he's not worth -”

 

Luhan.” His mom cut him off. “ Put yourself in my shoes. If Sehun -”

 

Don't compare Sehun to that man,” Luhan said in a voice Sehun has never heard from him before. It sounded hostile, borderline spiteful.

 

His mom sighed. “That's not what I'm trying to do. I just want to explain it in a way that you'll understand. People make mistakes, honey. If Sehun, hear me out, made a horrible mistake, wouldn't you be able to forgive him? Eventually?”

 

Yes...” Luhan responded and Sehun lets out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

 

Why?”

 

Because I love him.”

 

And I love him.”

 

But how do you -”

 

Know that he truly regrets his past actions? Because I love him enough to trust him. He really has changed.”

 

Luhan sighed, seemingly tired. “How did he find you?”

 

I'm not exactly sure, but I'm glad he did. Having you live so far away was difficult for me, still is sometimes, but now that he's a part of my life again, the days don't seem as long and I smile more.”

 

Mom, you know I just want you to be happy..”

 

I know.”

 

You know I'm never going to fully accept him.”

 

I know and it's okay.”

 

You're not going to resent me?”

 

Of course not! I love you very much Luhan. You won't find someone who loves you more than I do.”

 

I can think of one person...”

 

The mother son duo laughed and Sehun took this as his cue to knock on the door and enter.

 

S-Sehun??” Luhan's eyes widen.

 

Erm hey.” Smooth. Very smooth.

 

Sehun-shi?”

 

Sehun turned to the woman standing at the foot of Luhan's bed, automatically bowing.

 

This is my mom,” Luhan introduced her to him.

 

N-nice to meet you. I'm Sehun,” he stuttered (he's never been good at meeting parents). Feeling embarrassingly flustered, he bowed again. She giggled.

 

Sehun looked at her.

 

She was a small beautiful woman, who looked a bit young to have a 21 year old son – I see who he gets his baby face from. She had delicate features, her skin pale and her face wrinkle free. Class was written all over her clothes, her jewelry, and her neat bun (which would have made anyone else look old, but it only made her look younger). Her eyes were the youngest part about her. They had a youthful sparkle to them. Vibrant.

 

She smiled at Sehun, a smile quite similar to one belonging to a certain hospital patient, who was currently fiddling his fingers from his spot on the bed, eyes darting between Sehun and the woman.

 

Luhan's mom walked over to Sehun and started inspecting him. Her slender fingers slightly touching his face. I guess he also inherited his tendency to poke people's faces from her as well.

 

Hmm. He looks better in pictures,” she said with a playful look in her eyes.

 

Mommmm,” Luhan moaned.

 

She laughed, a sweet motherly sound. “I'm kidding. You're a very handsome one, Sehun-shi. Almost as good looking as my son.”

 

Luhan groaned and plopped down on the bed, hands covering his face.

 

Sehun and Luhan's mom both turned to look at him. “He can be a bit dramatic,” she whispered to Sehun. He grinned and nodded.

 

Mom, don't you have to -” Luhan started, only to be cut off by his mother.

 

Give Sehun a lecture on how to treat my son?” She teased.

 

No.” Luhan gave his mom a look Sehun assumed was a silent plead for her to leave. She got the hint.

 

Ohhh look at the time! I have to leave now.” She wiggled her eyebrows, a gesture that only made it more obvious that she was Luhan's mom.

 

She walked over to Luhan, gave him a tight hug, and ruffled his hair, much to his displeasure. After reminding her son to take his medications and to call her when he gets out of the hospital, she came over to Sehun and quietly told him, “I know it's hard to resist that face, but don't let him have anything sweet – at least not until he's fully recovered.”

 

I heard that!”

 

Sehun smiled while Luhan's mom turned around, pretending that she didn't just say that.

 

Okay honey, I'm leaving. Sehun take care of him for me.” She winked at Sehun before closing the door behind her.

 

Sehun decided that he likes Luhan's mom. She's everything he envisioned his boyfriend's mom to be like (and more). Bambi's mom.

 

So how was your flight?” Luhan snapped him out of his thoughts.

 

Taking in Luhan's pale appearance, Sehun is reminded of the terrified feelings he had before he got to the hospital. He growled. “Is that really something to ask me? All I got when you left was a text, telling me you were tired. Tired??? Don't you think that's an understatement, considering the fact that WE'RE IN THE HOSPITAL?!”

 

Luhan flinched. “S-sorry...”

 

Sehun narrowed his eyes. “You could just tell me what was going on with you -”

 

You would have overreacted,” Luhan pointed out. True.

 

Sehun groaned. He rarely wins arguments against Luhan, especially not against a sick Luhan, who had a stuffed bear next to his pillow.

 

It's okay to at least inform me. What was the worst that could happen?”

 

Luhan tapped his index finger against his chin, a gesture that was meant to look like he was thinking, but it only made him look like a weird, but cute person who was tapping his chin. “Hmmm. You would either immediately get on the next flight to Seoul, leaving all your luggage at the hotel, or sneak onto a ferry.” All possible.

 

Can you at least picture how I felt when Baekyeol told me you were vomiting and that they found you on the kitchen floor? Do you know how horrible it is, as your boyfriend, to hear that from someone else?”

 

Awwww. I'm sorry Sehun-ah.” Luhan cutely pouted, thinking he could get Sehun to forgive him with just that alone.

 

He was right, but Sehun wasn't going to show it. He wasn't going to let his boyfriend have that satisfaction – not after how he acted like a crazy person in a taxi.

 

Sehun walked over to the hard uncomfortable looking blue couch at the other side of the room and sat down, ignoring the disapproving stare from Luhan. He had to resist the urge to smile when Luhan frowned at him.

 

Did the other hyungs visit you yet?” Sehun asked nonchalantly.

 

They were with me the whole time when I first got admitted, and they visited again a few hours ago,” Luhan replied, seemingly frustrated at how far Sehun was sitting from him.

 

Ah I see.” Sehun started flipping through the magazine left on the side of the couch, indifferent to Luhan and his adorably twitching eye.

 

What are you doing?” Luhan's tone a lot more serious than it was a minute ago.

 

Reading this magazine,” Sehun replied without looking up.

 

No. I mean what are you doing over there?

 

Sehun looked up to find his boyfriend sitting up with his arms crossed, eyes expressing resentment, like someone had insulted him. “Sitting down?”

 

Luhan huffed. “That is nice and all, but don't you want to come sit next to me? I mean it has been a day since you last saw me.”

 

Nah. I think I'm good.”

 

Aishhh!!” Luhan flopped back down on his bed, biting his bottom lip in annoyance (Sehun had to grip the couch cushion to keep himself from jumping on his boyfriend at that very second).

 

Zzzzzzzzzzzz Sehun gets a text from Chanyeol -

 

Hey do you want us to bring the cakes Luhan hyung wanted?

 

Sehun peeked at the older boy who was staring at the ceiling, boring holes through it. He smirked.

 

No hyung, that won't be necessary.

 

Sehun was trying his best to focus on the article in the magazine, but the older boy, who was tossing and turning on the bed, kept him distracted.

 

Sehun-ahhh,” Luhan cooed. Don't give in. Don't! “Come here..” He patted the spot next to him.

 

Sehun gave him his best impression of an uninterested face.

 

I won't bite,” Luhan assured, resulting in Sehun letting out a strangled noise.

 

That's what you said last time,” Sehun countered, taking pride in how he made Luhan blushed a rosy shade of red.

 

I-I...” Luhan stuttered, but luckily for him, a nurse came in. She was carrying a small white box. Sehun noticed the evil eye Luhan was directing towards the small box.

 

As if he knew Luhan would need him, Sehun got up from his spot and went to stand by Luhan, to hold his hand. The older boy was surprised at first, but he smiled when Sehun squeezed his hand.

 

I just need to take samples of your blood for some tests. It won't take long,” the nurse told him as she opened the box to reveal the needles and several blood collection tubes. Luhan shut his eyes tight upon spotting the objects, and squeezed Sehun's hand. He made a small noise when the needle penetrated his skin, but otherwise remained silent (his lips were turning purple from him biting it so hard).

 

When the nurse lady left, Luhan still had his eyes closed, hand firmly holding on to Sehun's. Sehun cleared his throat. “She left.”

 

Luhan started shrieking and thrashing around in bed. “DID YOU SEE HOW LONG THAT NEEDLE WAS?!?!? IT WAS THE SIZE OF A RULER! AND WHY DO THEY NEED THAT MUCH BLOOD? IF THEY HAD TAKEN ANY MORE I WOULD HAVE DIED FROM BLOOD LOSS!”

 

Rolling his eyes at Luhan, Sehun went back to his spot, though he was trying his best not to laugh at his adorable boyfriend.

 

Minutes later (and after complaining about how plain his band aid looked), Luhan has somewhat calmed down.

 

Sehun-ahhh.” Here we go again... “I need you to comfort me.” He outstretched his arms, inviting Sehun in for a hug. He really likes testing me.

 

Why do you need comforting? You look fine to me.”

 

Just come here and lie next to me.” Luhan wiggled his finger as he scooted to the other side of the bed, leaving room for Sehun. You must resist!

 

That bed won't fit us both.”

 

We'll figure it out!”

 

It's against hospital rules.”

 

Screw hospital rules! I want you now!” Oh dear lord.

 

Sehun shook his head. “What if you throw up on me?”

 

Arghhh! Forget it!” Luhan dramatically laid down and turned away so that his back was facing Sehun. He heard the older boy mumble something like “You're so mean.”

 

Sehun sighed. How was he supposed to tell his boyfriend that if he got in bed with him, he would smother him (with love and affection of course) to the point that he'll have to press the help button.

 

At night, after failing to get Sehun to buy him “Get Well” cupcakes, Luhan fell asleep. Sehun got up from the couch and pulled the blankets up to cover his sleeping deer. He gave him a soft kiss on the forehead before heading back to his couch to lay down. It was a long day, and he was extremely exhausted.

 

Luhan's sleeping face was the last thing he saw before falling asleep.

 

Hours later, Luhan's panic cries woke Sehun up. Startled, he glanced towards his boyfriend, whose face was scrunched up, almost like he was in pain.

 

S-Sehunn,” he mumbled. “Nooo. Nooo. S-Sehun.”

 

Luhan's body started trembling, and Sehun rushed over to the bed.

 

Sehun-ah! SEHUNN!!”

 

 

~~~~~~ What a packed chapter! First it started off light with Baekyeol and the appearance by Luhan's awesome mom (she is hilariously cute), then it got darker when the conversation about Luhan's stepdad came up, then it went to mushy fluffy Hunhan, and finally ended in a cliffhanger. Lol. I take my readers for a ride. (BTW Luhan's past will make more appearances). Don't you think Luhan's fear of needles is cute? Lol. He's so adorable! And Sehunnie being distant with him = awwwwwww. Teasing your sick Lulu isn't going to work out. 

 

I hope you like the chapter (I did). Thanks for reading! Do subscribe and do leave comments :)