The Reason

I Couldn't Care Less

 “Lu, I'm here.”

Sehun wrapped his arms around Luhan, who jerked awake, forehead glistening with sweat. Sehun could see the terrified look in his eyes when the older boy turned to face him. Luhan blinked at Sehun a few times, as if he wasn't sure if Sehun was actually there. And when it finally hit him that Sehun was in fact lying next to him, the fear in his eyes quickly turned to one of relief. He grabbed Sehun's shirt, bunching it with his trembling fist.

 

Sehun-ah,” Luhan said as he buried his face in Sehun's shirt, his voice muffled against the fabric.

 

Yeah. I'm here,” Sehun responded as he tightened his hold around his boyfriend. He could feel Luhan's temperature rising, his breathing uneven – all of which only made him pull the boy closer to him.

 

It's okay. I'm here now,” Sehun repeated as he kissed the top of Luhan's head while rubbing circles on his back. Having no experience in consoling a distressed boyfriend, Sehun wasn't sure if he was even doing it right, but judging from the way Luhan's grip on his shirt loosen, he assumed that it's working.

 

Luhan lifted his head so Sehun could see his face. He looks tired...

 

Almost out of instinct, Sehun caressed his face while whispering, “It's just a dream.”

 

At the mention of the said dream, Luhan looked away, eyes focused on Sehun's collarbone. Sehun kissed his forehead. “Are you okay?”

 

Luhan nodded as he leaned in, pressing his forehead against Sehun's lips, a move Sehun takes as Luhan telling him to continue kissing his forehead. He happily does so – letting his lips rest on his boyfriend's forehead, breaking contact every once in a while for air.

 

Several minutes later, when Sehun's lips are a little swollen, and when he was sure that his boyfriend was feeling better, Sehun stopped rubbing circles on Luhan's back and started running his fingers through Luhan's soft hair.

 

Baby --”

 

Luhan looked up at him, eyebrows raised.

 

You big baby,” Sehun continued, teasingly. He chuckled when Luhan rolled his eyes.

 

Don't call me that.” Luhan huffed as he wrapped his arms tightly around Sehun's waist.

 

What else am I supposed to call someone who was having a panic attack because of a dream?”

 

You're never too old to have nightmares,” Luhan mumbled.

 

But you can be too cute,” Sehun joked as he lifted Luhan's face up to kiss his nose.

 

With cheeks tinged pink, Luhan gently smacked Sehun's arm. “Sehun-ahhh, you can be so cheesy!”

 

Sehun snorts. “And whose fault is that?”

 

Definitely not my fault.” Luhan insisted.

 

Keep telling yourself that.” Sehun pressed his lips against Luhan's, smiling into the kiss. “Bambi.”

 

Luhan smiled at the familiar nickname. After pecking Sehun on the cheek, the older boy proceeded to cuddle him, head resting in his favorite spot. Sehun noticed (more like felt) that Luhan's fever has subsided. Thank goodness.

 

Luhan was quiet for a while, comfortably listening to Sehun's steady breathing. And most other times, Sehun would have been okay with this, but tonight was different. He didn't like that Luhan was silent - not after what happened. He wanted to know what could have caused Luhan to be so frightened? What sort of dream did he have for him to wake up sweating in fear? Why was he calling my name?

 

Sehun knows he shouldn't ruin the moment, but he has to know.

 

Do you want to talk about it? About your dream?” Please talk to me...

 

Luhan tensed, his breath hitched as soon as the words came out of Sehun's mouth, but he doesn't move. No indication of whether or not he was going to tell the younger boy what was bothering him.

 

It's okay if you don't want to talk about it now. I understand,” Sehun assured him.

 

Luhan sighed. “No. I think it's about time you know about.....my past.” He buried his face deeper into the crook of Sehun's neck, sighing against Sehun's bare skin.

 

You remember when I told you that my childhood wasn't filled with rainbows and cupcakes?” Luhan started.

 

Yes.” How could I forget?

 

M-my dad died when I was nine.... Car accident.”

 

Not knowing how to respond to such information, Sehun stayed quiet.

 

So you see, Sehun-ah, we share more than just a room. We both lost a parent when we were nine...” Luhan's voice faltering at the last part.

 

Even if Luhan was trying his best to talk about the subject matter, Sehun knew that it was extremely difficult for him. He could feel Luhan's lashes fluttering against his neck. The older boy was trying to keep himself from crying. Sehun placed his chin on Luhan's head.

 

Lu...”

 

I'm fine, Sehun-ah.” He cleared his throat and continued. “My mom remarried a year later, and I couldn't understand why or how she could forget about Dad so fast, but after meeting my stepfather, I didn't question her choices any more. He was a nice man, certainly caring towards my mom and I...”

 

Luhan swallowed. “But that all changed when I was eleven.” He became silent.

 

Dying to know, Sehun asked, “W-what happened when you were eleven?”

 

Luhan hugged Sehun a little tighter. “I-I found out my stepfather b-beats my mother whenever he drank.”

 

Sehun's chest tighten. He could feel his shirt getting wet from Luhan's tears. He kissed the top of Luhan's head, hoping to ease the pain even just a little.

 

It was also when....when he first a-attacked me.” Luhan sniffed.

 

A-attacked?? Sehun felt a pang in his chest.

 

H-he h-hurt you?” Sehun sputtered, unable to fully comprehend the words he just asked -- unable to accept it.

 

Luhan slowly shook his head. “Not that time – my mom was there. He had me pinned against the wall, but she stopped him from doing further damage.”

 

And that was when it all clicked.

 

The reason why Luhan was petrified when that punk slammed him against the bathroom wall, the reason why he winced when Sehun had extended an arm towards him, the reason why he ran away crying, the reason why he visited his mother that day....

 

It all made sense.

 

Sehun clenched his fist unknowingly. “When you said 'not that time' does that mean he –?”

 

Yes. I was in high school at the time. It was the only time he hurt me. I've never told my mother about it, but I have a feeling she knew.”

 

Rendered speechless, Sehun laid there – head throbbing, heart beating insanely fast. This was definitely not what he expected.

 

Luhan's voice brought him back. “My mom and I left him four years ago, but today when my mom was here, she told me that he's back. He found her.”

 

So your dream...” Sehun's voice cracked.

 

Luhan nodded. “I dreamt that he was h-here, with his hands around my n-neck and I was c-calling your name and and --”

 

Unable to take it any more, Sehun cupped Luhan's face and gazed into his tearful eyes. “Shhhh. It's fine. I'm here and you know I won't let anyone hurt you. Ever.”

 

He pressed his forehead against Luhan's, thumb brushing away Luhan's tears. “I love you.”

 

Luhan sniffed, a little smile making its way to his face. “I know,” he whispered.

 

Sehun bit his lip. “Is that all you have to say?”

 

Thank you?” Luhan teased, eyes smiling at Sehun. AISHHHHH.

 

Not saying another word, Sehun planted a warm kiss on his lips, which caused Luhan to smile – his usual bright smile that Sehun loves so much.

 

You know I love you very much right Sehun-ah?”

 

Oh, is that so? Thanks.”

 

Shut up.” Luhan giggled – something else that Sehun loves about Luhan.

 

Luhan yawned and Sehun smiled at the sight. “You need sleep.”

 

Mmhmm. You're right.”

 

With Luhan cuddled to his side, Sehun feels that everything is perfect. Having his boyfriend next to him, even if they were in the hospital, will always feel special. Will always feel right. Having Luhan next to him means everything. Something he never wants to lose.

 

It's amazing how Sehun could feel such indifference towards his new roommate when they first met, such hostility towards the boy that entered his life without notice, and how that has now completely changed. Now he feels as though life without Luhan isn't worth living.

 

All of the days before he met Luhan seemed so far away, so foreign.

 

The seconds spent without that beautiful smile, the minutes spent without those sparkly doe eyes, the hours spent without that sweet voice, the days spent without those enticing lips, the weeks without that angelic face, the months without that small body that perfectly molded into his own whenever they touched, and the years without that love all cease to exist.

 

His moments with Luhan were his life now, but he felt as though loving Luhan as he does now will never be enough.

 

He'll always want to love him more and more each passing day. And -

 

Sehun-ah,” Luhan murmured from his spot on Sehun's chest, breaking Sehun's train of thought. I thought you were asleep dammit.

 

Yeah?”

 

You're breaking hospital rules,” he whispered as his hands sneakily slid down Sehun's lower back.

 

................”

 

Luhan laughed, sending vibrations through Sehun's chest. Ughhh why must you do this...

 

Sehun rolled his eyes and pulled Luhan closer to him (trying his best to ignore Luhan's wondering hands).

 

Just go to sleep Bambi. Please.” You're driving me crazy and it's like 2 AM in the morning.

 

Apparently aware of Sehun's internal struggle, Luhan giggled before planting a quick kiss on his jawbone. “Okay, Sehun-ah. Sleep well. Goodnight.”

 

Sehun groaned.

 

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SLEEP IF YOUR HAND IS SLIDING UNDERNEATH MY SHIRT?!?!

 

 

When they checked out of the hospital, Sehun noticed that a few of the nurses were holding back tears. Luhan has certainly been charming them while he was here. Two of them even gave him a box of assorted cupcakes, which Luhan was more than pleased to receive.

 

Munching on a cupcake while they were in the taxi (Sehun failed in trying to take it away from him), Luhan told him that buying cupcakes from bakeries is always the better option. “Don't bake cupcakes unless you're an experienced baker.”

 

Being reminded of the horrible baking attempt, Sehun wanted to stuff Luhan's face with a fat cupcake, but that would only make the boy happier. He settled for a simple “Shut up.”

 

As soon as they entered the house, they heard poppers popping and noisemakers blaring. 

 

WELCOME BACK LUHAN HYUNG!!!”

 

The other boys were all there, each holding party blowers (except Kris). Chanyeol even had a party horn. Whose brilliant idea was that? Giving the loudest person a party horn...

 

Sehun shook his head in disapproval. Luhan, however, squealed at the welcome reception.

 

AAAAAAAAAA YOU GUYS!!!” He then gave them all a quick hug.

 

Sehun cleared his throat. “He was only away for a day...”

 

Luhan narrowed his eyes at him and Sehun remained silent after that. He watched as Luhan enjoyed the party, telling the others what happened while he was in the hospital (exaggerating the part about the blood sampling).

 

Oh yeah! Sehun! Welcome back!!!” Lay exclaimed, causing everyone to look towards Sehun with wide eyes.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes. “So you just now realize that this party should really be for me? Unlike Luhan hyung, I was actually away for ten days.”

 

Everyone laughed at the maknae's disgruntled face.

 

Sorry bro. I guess we didn't notice you were gone for that long,” Kai said as he took a sip from his cup.

 

Now Kai, that's not true. Sehun, don't pay attention to him,” Kyungsoo asserted.

 

Yeah, we really did miss you Sehun,” Xiumin said with a grin.

 

But we forgot all about that when Luhan hyung was sent to the hospital,” Chen added. Everyone (except Sehun) laughed again.

 

Nice to know I have such loving hyungs,” Sehun scoffed.

 

Kris gave him a firm pat on the back. “No problem kid.”

 

Tao swiftly came over and asked him, “Did you bring us anything from Jeju?”

 

Sehun gulped. Crap. I forgot to get them something.

 

Luhan smiled. “Yes he did, but he'll give it to you guys later.”

 

Aww maknae that's sweet of you,” Baekhyun cooed as Chanyeol grinned.

 

While the hyungs were busy singing karaoke (a few of them were decent singers actually), Sehun went over to where Luhan was standing.

 

Uhh I didn't get them anything,” he whispered into his boyfriend's ear, even though no one could hear him over the loud music.

 

I know that's why I got them gifts. I knew you would forget,” Luhan responded with a cute wink.

 

Unable to express his feelings at the moment, Sehun gawked at his boyfriend, mouth agape.

 

Luhan gave him a blinding smile in return. “What would you do without me?” he asked in a playful tone.

 

I hope I never have to find out,” Sehun answered honestly as he entwined their fingers.

 

 

 

~~~~~~ Heyyyyy everyone!!! It's been a while! I hope you like the chapter! Serious mood at first, but then it ended in my signature fluff. Lol. So cutee! Luhan is such a tease, even when he's sick.

There will be more drama up ahead though, so prepare for that. Also I wanted to say "WELCOME!!" to all of my new subscribers. Can't believe I have 200+ :DD This is awesome. Hoping to not disappoint you all. I will try my best to update whenever I can, which would mean whenever I'm not busy with school work. Thanks for reading ♥

 

(Also, I was re-reading my old chapters and noticed a few typos, so I fixed them, which is why you may see the chapter labels written in blue -indicated as updated- but nothing really changed.)