Chapter 5

Too Many Worlds

 

It’s impossible for an object to make your day but your phone had done it.  You excitedly squeal as Chen’s hand guides you through the school’s parking lot after you had heard what your phone received.

Agasshi, can I guess what you’re happy about?” Chen obviously notices your expression and opens the door of your car, helping you in.

“Shoot,” You grin, waiting for him to properly settle on the driver’s seat.

“It considers Baekhyun-ssi,”

“Bingo.  Continue,”

“He’s coming back to Korea,”

“Bingo! In two days, Jongdae-ah, in two days!” You play Baekhyun’s voicemail once more.

Jagiya, guess what, the things in Europe ended early and I’m coming back in two days! Finally, I get to see you.  Don’t you dare go out your house later on, because I’ll be coming over with your cookies! Heheh, miss ya,’ It clicked as it ended.

If you were with your parents, there’s no way for you to squeal and be all giddy about this, but with only Chen in the car, you freely expressed your feelings regarding the return of your boyfriend. 

“Oh, I’m immediately in a good mood today,” You sigh contentedly, tucking the phone into your bag.  “Today, Jongdae-ah?”

“2 press conferences on behalf of your sister, work, and then a dinner party, and finally a magazine interview.  On behalf of your sister,” Chen recites.

Yeah, always on behalf of your sister.  It’s too outdated for you to ponder over the status.  Over your status, where you’ll always be the second daughter and whatever you do that concerns publicity is ‘on behalf of your sister’.  So now, it’s just a formality.  You think of it as an honor, that you get to represent your sister.  At first, it nags at you how the words you speak are not of your mind, how the actions you reserve in front of them is seen as those of your sister’s, but now, life just goes on.

“Tomorrow?” You ask further.

“You are to discuss some matters concerning the company and for work, the CEO would like to speak with you.  After dinnertime, your library session is in schedule.” He thoughtfully taps the steering wheel.  “And the day after tomorrow, another meeting with the company’s managers and directors, a gathering for work, and although you do have a bit more in the evening, I’ll make it vacant,” Chen finishes.

“Aw, Jongdae-ah, you’re the best,” You beam at him.

And the day goes by.

You change into a proper dress and go over to the first conference building, mentally and physically preparing for the questions everybody inside are about to throw at you.

Generally, the questions are the same.  They have the same purpose of knowing how the company is doing and whether or not the current economic crisis of the world play a huge role in trying to bring down the company’s booming success.  And then how the engagement with the Wu family’s son acts as a supporting foundation for the both the Park and Wu companies’ future.  Blah blah blah, questions thrown and answered, pictures taken and hands shaken. 

Once, a question took you aback due to its unexpected nature.

A person representing a newspaper had asked you; “Being the second daughter of the Park family, it is undoubted that you feel all the pressure from both your parents and your sister.  Do you yourself have any future plans? Considering that your sister is bound to take over the company, what are you going to do then?”

They are people who need not know your true mind, thus, a prepared answer you stashed away in your mind comes to surface as you answer; “Taking over the company or not, I still am the daughter of the Park family and it is an honor for me to assist any purpose the company intends to grant.  I will tend to the family’s business as my sister have done, and may the company prosper, both in the present and for the future,”

Why did it take you aback? Because it's about you.

Chen shuts off the alarm in your office and finishes up for work today, reporting to the CEO that you’ve made a couple of dresses that might serve a purpose in the company’s needs. 

“Jongdae-ah,” You start a conversation in the car, as something that has been nagging at the back of your mind since the second conference of the day surfaces back to your thoughts.  “Am I tarnishing the company’s name?”

At this, you notice that Chen’s breathing changes, indicating that he’s preparing to answer you.  It isn’t that he has something scripted in his head, but Chen is the only person that always answers to your questions truthfully.  With his heart.  That’s why you ask him.  Only him.

Agasshi,” He begins.  

Why were you asking the question actually? It’s because the media had dispersed in hushed voices, and to your surprise, they were talking about you.

“She’s the second daughter, right?”

“Yeah.  She doesn’t really have a presence though, whatever she attends, it will always be in the name of her sister,”

“Park Rin is the first born anyways, she’s the one meant to take over the gigantic business of the Park family,”

“And moreover, the sister is blind,”

“I heard that she’s been blind since she was 3 or something,”

“Why doesn’t she get an eye transplant? Truly, the family is capable of doing at least something of the sort,”

“She really should.  Soon.  If she wants to go around representing her family and her sister, that defect, that flaw she has should be ridden off soon,”

“Not that it’s any of my business, but a blind second daughter.  Really? We’ll be thinking that the Park company is sending out blind people to speak out their thoughts to the public society,”

You bitterly chuckle to yourself at the reminder that sparks in your thoughts, waiting for Chen’s continuation.

“You must know that you only see the media from its cover.  They, too, have hidden minds.  Do you know what the majority of the people that was in the room with you thought of your very presence? You, although unable to see and always positioned below your sister, dominated the hall with your beauty, your intelligence, and your articulate words that strike those questions to their cores.  As much as they do not involve you in the matters of reality, the impression you’ve left them is majestic,” Chen explains.  “I won’t say I understand, but I know you, and I know it pains you to hear them speak that way, but you do not tarnish your family’s name, nor do you act as a flaw in the company,”

“What am I, Jongdae?  What am I to everybody?”

Chen breathes out and answers; “You are the essence.  To everything,”

Chen speaks truth.  The company is not the company without the blind second daughter.  The unattended conferences and the unanswered questions of the public will not be provided with an answer if it weren’t because of the second daughter.  If it weren’t because of you.  There is no other company that allows a blind girl to work in their conscience, not even glancing at the matter of representation.  But here you are. 

You swipe your hand across your face and tuck a lock of hair behind your ear.  “Thank you, Jongdae,”