Chapter 14

Too Many Worlds

 

Tonight, an annual dinner party is going to be held, hosted by your family.  It’s going to be attended by various kinds of companies; including the Wu company, along with Baekhyun’s uncle’s company and other top organizations and corporations. 

You sighed when you heard about the event from Chen.  He laughs at you, even though sighing is something you always do when you’re scheduled to attend those kinds of parties or events.

You lean back against your chair.  “It’s—“

“Tiring,” Chen joins in your sentence, the two of you speaking in unison.

“So that means—“

“You won’t be having lunch with Kris-ssi, unfortunately,” Chen chuckles at your groan, taking the turns that would lead you home.

Parties aren’t ‘parties’ in definition.  It’s a gathering, where people judge each other, where people throw tricky questions and answer back in the same manner.  It’s also where secrets are shared and where secrets are exposed.  Where people speak behind each other’s backs.  It’s a terrifying event, but held to maintain a good publicity.  From the cover, it indicates a good relationship and a generous teamwork.  But inside, decisive things happen.  Dangerous, decisive things. 

Moreover, the one tonight is held by your family.  Your family.  The owner of the country’s number one company.  The things that happen will surely be a hundred fold compared to any other parties.

He guides you out of the car and up the stairs towards your room. 

“Jongdae-ah, let’s skip this dinner party,” You slightly back away from your room.  “Please?”

“Agasshi,” You hear Lena’s voice and turn your head towards where Chen was, silently begging him to say yes.

You playfully slap his arm as you hear him chuckle for who knows the how many times today.  “Help me out, don’t just stand there and laugh!” You whisper aloud, evoking laughter from both Chen and Lena as you get pulled into your room by Lena’s slender arms.

“See you tonight, agasshi,” You hear Chen say, and you stick your tongue out at his direction.

The door closes behind you and Lena starts; “Now, what should we dress you up with?”

As usual, the maids fumble around you, helping you into the dress Lena picked out, putting make up on your face with their professional hands, matching your outfit with a clutch, jewelries and heels, which you have no trouble walking in with.  It’s included in your etiquette lesson.

You feel the one strap dress, reaching your ankles, the heels in perfect height to match it.  It was tight at the stomach, your fingers felt the beads that spreaded out in the pattern of a flower, only stitched at the front, right at the center of your stomach.  You follow the lines of fabric that came together in the flower, and notice that the cloth was sewn in an apple shape, still nicely but naturally falling from your waist.  A similar pattern of beads is also sewn by the base of the strap to your dress.  From the stomach and up, the satin tightly wraps around your torso, as it alternates on top of each other.

“Ooh, this is nice,” You say, smiling at yourself.  “Lena, what’s the color?”

“Beige, agasshi,”

You nod at her voice and lift your right hand up towards your head.  “And my hair—“

“Don’t!” Lena exclaimed, taking your wrist.  You laugh at her and she clicks her tongue, humor in her tone.  “It’s an updo; it’s braided at the right side of your head, it’s kind of hard to explain because it’s this pretty bunch of braids, your forelocks are also braided to the side.  Aigoo, so pretty,” She pats your cheek gently.  “You have on a golden earring, and you have a golden clutch along with golden heels,” Lena finishes.

“I see, I see,” You grin.  “Thank you, Lena,”

Preparations took time, as usual.  You got home at 2 in the afternoon and at exactly 4.30, you’re ready to go. 

You step outside your room and don’t find the need to call out for Chen because he takes your arm in his and guides you like he always does.

“Lena did an excellent job,” He says, and snaps his fingers afterwards.  “Ooh, new way to compliment you!”

You laugh at his witty sentence.  “Thank you, Jongdae,”

An amount of time that felt like 2 hours passed and finally, Chen fully stops the car, announcing that you have arrived.  The noisy crowd outside, which, you know is the media, gradually increases in volume as your car arrived.  ‘Here comes the blind second daughter,’ You think.  As blind and as second as you are, you are still the daughter of the Park family.

Chen opens the door and goes to your side of the car, opening your door and taking your hand, gently guiding you out the car as the noise of people and camera shutters fill your ears.  You gracefully step onto the ground outside the car and put on a smile, not overly happy but not overly sour.  Just enough.

You glided along the line of road you presume was carpeted, between the crowd of people on each side of it, loudly yelling and taking photos of you. 

The quiet of the hall of the dinner party calms you down and you evidently sigh, wondering how even you can manage to keep up with things like that.

Chatter now fills your ear, seemingly quiet in the hall you presume is spacious.  You don’t do anything but eat and be present at parties like these, because you can’t exactly wander around, can’t you?

Chen takes you through the hall, and you hear him call your father.  The two share a quick talk, and you figure out that your mother is here and that Rin and Kris has just arrived.

The party’s beginning then.

You’re prepared and ready; but not for what’s to happen tonight.

 

 

omo what's happening?

XD

tis gonn be biiiiigggggggg