Chapter 21

Too Many Worlds

 

Days flew by and Chen stays in the hospital, going under further treatment so that his bronchitis won’t act up anymore.

During his absence, you spend most of your time with either Kris, Rin or Baekhyun, plus Eun and Choi-sajangnim at working hours.  Well, with everybody knowing the fact that you work, Rin has decided to accompany you at work.  Occassionally, Baekhyun and Kris would come along, so that makes the three of them.  Like right now, for example. 

“Oh, executive director, these are?” Eun asks, surprised by the entry of the four people into your office, including you.

“Eun-ssi, here is my sister,” You introduce Rin and hesitate at the two men waiting to be introduced.  “And these are, umm,”

“We’re her friends,” Baekhyun comes into the conversation, a chuckle in his voice.  “We’ll just be watching so we hope we wouldn’t be a disturbance,”

You let the people that came with you settle down on your table and you begin your work, just like how you would.

“Eun-ssi, a meter’s length of last time’s lace please,” You call out politely, your hands occupied by the sewing machine.

Rin starts.  “Hey, you sure you can—“

“Here it is,” Eun sets the fabric by your hand.

“Thank you,” You say.  “Unnie, don’t worry,”

“But—“

“Eun-ssi, read out the first line on the design, please,” You continue, clearly not hearing Rin’s words amidst your concentration.

“’Sleeve; overlap 3 pieces but don’t tightly sew,’”

“Alright,”

You hear Kris and Baekhyun laugh, an exasperated sigh escaping your sister’s lips.  “Sorry, sorry.  I’ll be done in a few so I’ll listen to you then,”

You don’t really have a lot to do today, because you’ve ran out of things to do.  Whenever you’re given a request, you finish it right then and there so you don’t set them aside and end up with a pile of work to do later on.  Procrastinating doesn’t really fit in your schedule so you don’t risk that thought.

“So,” You sigh and take a seat on the table, after bowing at Eun at her dismissal as your assistant.  “What was that again?”

“Nevermind,” Rin answers.  “I was about to ask you if you’re sure you can do work without accidentally sewing down your fingers but I’ll pass out on that now.  You’re amazing,”

At the sentence you laugh.  “It’s been a lot of years since I last sewed my fingernails,”

You and everybody spend a little more time before the alarm rings to indicate the end of your work, and you stand up with your arm in Rin’s, as you start towards the hospital for a visit to Chen.

***

“Rin-ssi has been playing my role at the office, hasn’t she?” Chen asks you as you settle down on the seat beside his bed, the one you always sit on whenever you’re visiting (which is what you do every single day).

“Oho,” You knowingly chuckle.  “So you’re the one telling her to worry,”

“Yes, of course,” Chen answers, in a way that makes it look like it was the most obvious thing in the whole world.  “I’m not there and who can watch over your work? You always speak when you’re working with the scissors or the sewing machine, and even I wonder how you manage to split your concentration into two without losing track of one activity,”

“Hey,” You made a face.  “Arghh, really, when you worry, I get more distracted then I’m supposed to,”

“So we practically have the same feelings,” Chen laughs.  “When you worry, I get distracted because I try to not make you worry,”

“See!” You follow suit into the laughter. 

The conversation doesn’t even make sense but you’re enjoying it more than you know.  This kind of visit have been going on for 5 days or so, and there isn’t a day when you just sit by Chen’s side and do nothing.  There is always something to talk about and laugh about when you’re with him.

“You sick person,” You poke at the back of Chen’s hand.  “Hurry up and get well soon so I can link arms with you again,”

Chen catches your finger and grips it in his warm hand, slightly shaking it while he speaks.  “It’s just another 2 to 5 days, you have to be patient,” He lets go and takes your whole hand in his, running his thumb across your knuckles.  “Trust me, I want to get out of here soon, too,”

“Mm,” You nod. 

Telling the truth, it isn’t that you’re lonely, but any other person’s company doesn’t make up for Chen’s absence.  Whoever it is, you acknowledge that they’re beside you, but they’re never Chen. 

“Chen, it’s almost 10,” You hear Kris enter the room.  He then sets his hand on your shoulder.  “It’s late, you’ve got to go.  Rin and Baekhyun is outside,”

“Okay,” You stand up from your chair and let go of Chen’s hand, which slightly holds on to yours a little bit longer, making you stop in your tracks.

“Sorry,” Chen sighs.  “Rest well, agasshi,” He finally lets go completely and you are taken out of the room by Kris, which is where Rin comes to greet you.

You hear their hushed voices, especially Kris’, seemingly asking Rin and Baekhyun to hurry off.  It’s strange, but it’s what they do everyday when you visit Chen.  It’s been 5 days and no one has bothered to tell you what they were talking about, so you purposefully stall time at the corridor, there in front of Chen’s room.

“Oh, I think I left my phone at the table,” You remember, finding the door’s handle and pushing it down.  You’re familiar with the room’s layout by now, so you felt your way towards Chen’s bedside table and find your phone on it.  “Sorry,” You take it and say goodbye to Chen.

When suddenly, he starts coughing.

“J-Jongdae?” You panic.  He was coughing in rows.  And it just keeps coming. 

Your hands feel his bedside table for something that could halt it, and instead of finding it, you knock over an object which you presumed was a glass of water because it shattered loudly on the floor and you feel  drops of water wet your feet.

You flinch and step back, hearing a group of people come into the room. 

“Get some more of that,” You hear the familiar voice of Chen’s doctor say, followed by a patter of the nurse’s footsteps as she leaves the room.  “I’m sorry, but besides Kris-ssi, everybody, please leave the room,”

“Come on,” You hear Baekhyun say by your side as you get pulled away from Chen’s bed, exiting the room.

So that’s why they always told you to leave at 10.

Because at that hour, Chen’s sickness would start acting up.

“We, um, kind of wanted to keep it from you,” Baekhyun says as you pull away from the hospital.

“And we were doing so well for 5 days,” Rin sighs.  “It was our own initiative, really.  So Chen didn’t tell us to do anything,”

“Is it his healing phase?” You ask. 

“You could say that,” Rin answers.  “It’s the effect of his medication, yeah,”

“Oh,”

You can say nothing anymore.  You were in that room and Chen was coughing so badly in front of you and all you did was knock a stupid glass of water to the floor.  It isn’t about your opinion on the matter, it’s about what you can do.  And what is it, what can you do? Nothing, really.

Because you’re blind.

What can a blind person do to help someone sick.  What can a person without the ability to see do to aid the healing process of a person with a disease.  Not even help, what can they even see.  You can’t even see how Chen’s doing.  All you do is visit and talk to him, but you don’t see how he’s doing.  That flips your whole perception about the whole situation.

You’re doing practically nothing to help Chen.

“Unnie,”

“Yes?”

“Has Chen told you what he’s been feeling lately?”

“He doesn’t actually tell me, but if he does, it contradicts the situation he’s in,”

“Which is?”

“I don’t know, he says he’ll be well in no time but his lips are practically colorless and he’s beading with sweat from fever most of the time,”

Rin’s words confirm your obliviousness to the situation.  You’re always oblivious aren’t you.  You’ve never actually knew a lot of things to begin with, and now, you just know completely nothing. 

15 years of complete obliviousness, and now, Chen’s illness has made something click in both your heart and mind. 

“Unnie, I want an eye transplant,”

 

OOOO sorry for not updating after a long time nyam

i was making Coincidentally for my friend (as the foreword states)

BUT Y U NO COMMENT ON COINCIDENTALLY YYYYYYYYYYYYY D"""""""""""""""";

 

but i still love you guys keke

and agasshi is getting an eye transplant!

 

and i'm starting school tomorrow! i'm a high school student rn B-)

 

+i was scrolling through allkpop and there was the jonghyun-taemin kiss stage thing

i thought it was um ographic

 

AND I HAVE A POSTER I HAVE A POSTER I HAVE A POSTER FINALLY KEKEKEKEKEKEEKEEEEEEEE

it's by theshoecastle

omg my first poster :""DD thank you theshoecastle!

do you guys like it

i like it :3

so many things so many things to talk about keke ^^