Chapter 43

Too Many Worlds

 

You let out a quiet sigh on the way home.

“Why? Are you cold?” Lay asks you in concern.

“No, I have a lot on my mind,” You give him a thin smile.

As Lay stays quiet, you take it as a gesture for you to continue.

“Have you ever been tired, Lay?”

“About?”

“I don’t know, about everything?”

“I don’t think that’s what you think is your problem, though,” He shrugs, not answering your question.

“Then what do you think it is?”

“That all your fatigue is cause by one central point of a problem,”

You ponder over his words for a few seconds and grin.  “That’s right,”

“Which is the one you’ve been talking to me about all this time,”

“Yeah,”

You let silence fall between you.

The problem was what made the relationship between you and Lay happen.  The problem was the reason for his kiss on your lips.  The problem, was the one you two had an understanding about, the one that caused Lay’s inability to become the one in your heart.

Yes, Lay fell in love with you, and yes, you do know.

But you two understand, that he can’t make you happy even though to him, you can. 

“You know, someone told me that it can be a bad day, but it’s not a bad life,” Lay says, jamming his hands into his pockets.  “Maybe yeah, you had a really, really really really bad few years, but it’s not a bad life, isn’t it?”

“I have Eunbok,” You say, glancing at Lay’s nod.  “I have my family, and Kris and Baekhyun,” He nods again.  “I have everybody around me,” He nods once more. “And I have you,”

Lay finally grins.  “I’ve been waiting for that,”

You laugh at him and punch is arm lightly.  “That’s why I put you last,”

It’s been like this, recently.  You and him, just the two of you making your way home, with Lay taking you home first even though his own house is completely the other way.  You’ve been feeling bad for it, but he wouldn’t take it.  Won’t let a girl go home alone, he says.  Even your mother and father and Lena knows about it, Rin, Kris and Baekhyun, too, probably.  You’re that close to Lay, and yet, no, you two are not together.

“You know, Lay,” You tap your shoe on your doorstep, shaking off the snow from your shoes.  You face Lay and shake your head.  “You really are taller than I am,”

Even on the doorstep, Lay is still taller than you. 

He chuckles and smirks handsomely.  “Makes it easier for me to do this,”

His hands cup your cheeks and he presses his lips on top of your head.  “See you tomorrow,” He gives you a mock salute and backs off quickly, before you kick him on the shin.

“I’ll get you back for that!” You laugh at him, who is running backwards.

“With what? Another kiss?”

In frustration, you make a snowball and in complete failure fling it at him.  His laugh still rings in your ears even though he turned his back on you and waved you goodbye already.  You shake your head and take off your shoes as you come into the house, announcing your arrival. 

The sudden silence takes you aback, like it always does.  And you can never get used to it.  Your smile just disappears and the sad expression pastes itself back onto your face.  You look around, behind the pillars of your house, onto the doors of the various rooms, down the halls, but what you’re always looking for just never appears.

You come into your room and hang your bag in your closet, changing into your nightgown and wrapping your thick sweater around yourself as you make your way out to your veranda.

You set your elbows on the railings, looking out at your garden, with the lights sparkling off of the surface of the fountain, the quiet bubble of the water and the rustle of leaves in the night becoming the music to your ears.  The missing element still isn’t there, the one that completes everything everytime.

“Agasshi,”

Speak of the devil; that voice.

Your eyes widen at once and stupidly, your head swivels around along with your body, and you meet eyes with him.

With Jongdae.

“J-Jong—“ Your voice gets caught in your throat as you avert your eyes from him, covering your mouth with your hands.

The box you’ve buried; it exploded right there and then, piercing your heart and your mind with things you’ve hidden in it, in fragments, but so clear, it leaves you with no energy to move.

There’s no way out of this confrontation.  Jongdae is blocking the door.  Down the veranda? Not unless you really want to kill yourself.  ‘It can be a bad day, but it’s not a bad life’ Lay’s words ring in your head. 

But why is he here?

“Agasshi, please,” Jongdae reaches out to touch you, but you flinch, without purpose slapping his hand away as you realize you’re stepping away from him.

You wince as your back meets the metal railings of your veranda with a bump, and you crumple to the ground, frantically looking for a way to just escape this person, this man in front of you.  Your feet pushes yourself away from him, and your sweater slips down your shoulders,  exposing your arms to the cold night wind. 

“Stay away from me!” You grit your teeth, as you refuse to cry in front of him.

Why are you doing this?

“Don’t come closer!”

Isn’t he supposed to be the one you long for? The one you can always cry on?

“Don’t—“ You sob, the tears now freely streaming down your face.  “Just don’t, if all you’re gonna do is say goodbye,” You find the strength to stand up and you lean onto the wall, still not wanting to meet his eyes. 

Yes, he is.

You cover your face as the sobs rack your body and you start to lose strength in standing again, before suddenly, a strong arm slips around your waist to support you, and warmth spreads all over your skin.  A hand takes yours away from your face and cold fingers wipe your tears away from your cheeks and from your eyes, and your vision clears.

There he is, Jongdae, Kim Jongdae, staring right at you with the saddest expression you have ever seen register on his face in your whole lifetime.

Having no strength to get away from him, you close your eyes as his face approaches yours, and willingly, with your consciousness, you let his lips set itself upon yours.

His very presence, his breath, his mind and soul, his body, everything courses through you through that kiss as it deepens and you put your arms around his neck, pulling him closer to yourself, if it were possible.

Unfortunately, he becomes the one to pull away from the kiss, his lips tracing its way onto your eyes, kissing your tears away, and onto your cheeks.  “I’m sorry,” He breathes through every kiss.  “I’m sorry,” He pulls your hair down and lets its warmth cover the back of your neck, as he lowers his head and sets it upon your shoulder, after giving your neck a kiss, sending tingles up your spine, one you’ve never received from anyone in this world.  “I’m so sorry,” He breathes once more and you feel warm wetness touch your shoulder, and then you realize; Jongdae, he’s crying.

“Jongdae,” You whisper, concern clouding your face as your hand goes to the sides of his head, trying to pull him up straight so you can look into his face. 

“No,” He grits his teeth as he speaks, refusing to straighten up.  “After all I’ve done to you, why wouldn’t you hate me? You would have a better life with someone else than me.  Why don’t you push me away when I kiss you? Why do you let me touch you?” His lips grazes your neck again and he obliges to the pull you give onto his head, setting his hands on yours, the one resting at the sides of his head. 

You gaze straight into his eyes, staring deep into him, wiping his tears away with your thumbs.  “Because,” You say, closing your eyes and moving towards him, kissing him again, slowly, making sure that every feeling, every affection you feel for him is delivered, as he returns the kiss onto your lips.  “Because of that,” You pull away this time.

Jongdae rests his forehead on yours, keeping his hands on yours too, tightly holding it against his head, as if the slightest lack of hold he allows would make you drift away, along with the cold night wind.

***

It takes all my willpower not to touch her more, to not set my lips upon her once more.

She’s beautiful.

With all her messy hair framing her beautiful, small face, her breath, coming in white puffs of air from the cold, her slightly exposed shoulder, her neck, everything about her.

And yes, I can differentiate between lust and love. 

“I’m so—“ I start, but she plants a kiss again on my lips, halting my words and pulling away as quickly.

“You’re here,” She kisses my eyes and cheeks, exactly as how I kissed her before.  “That’s all that matters now, she rests her head on my chest, her hot breath tingling my neck, sending little tingles up my spine, like nobody has ever given me.

I tuck my chin onto her shoulder and she tucks hers on mine, as I whisper to her ear;

“I love you, Park Rain,”

***

You gasp slightly as you hear him call your name.

It feels warm.

And delightful.

“I love you too, Kim Jongdae,”

I face him once again and let him give me another peck on my lips.

A simple exchange of gazes, kiss and a few words.

Something only a lifetime’s worth of relationship can do.

Something only he can do to you and something only you can do to him.

***

I guide her onto the metal bench we always sat on in the past and let her rest her head on my lap.  I look down into her statuesque face and caress her hair, tracing her jawline, neck and collarbone, pulling away before I can’t stop myself.

The relief I had as she said those words along with my name almost made me cry in joy.  But only once will I cry in front of her, only once, will I be weak, for now....

“Oh,” I take the object from my pocket and take her hand, lifting it up onto my lips.  “Park Rain, will you marry me?”

At the words, I chuckle as she blushes, but she keeps her gaze on me. 

“Yes, I would be glad to,” She smiles, the most beautiful smile I’ve seen on her face as she lets me slip the ring onto her finger, and with her elbow she props herself up, pecking me on my lips for the millionth time in the night.

“And happy birthday too, although it’s kind of late,” I smile as she rests her head back, waving a key above her forehead.

“A car?” She brightens up, sitting up and grinning at me.

“Just wait and see,”

***

“Yeah, yeah, I know, I’ve arranged the event  and everything and you guys are having it tonight, right here in this house,” Your mother pats your head and your father chuckles, patting Jongdae’s shoulder.

“The dre—“

“We got it!!”

The whole team of Eunbok rushes through the doors of your house, a black dress case covering something underneath it.  Eun was front in line and the rest came along, grinning until their cheeks seem to hurt.

“And we’ll be the wedding photographers,” Woonha comes in afterwards, the rest of the crew yelling congratulations at you and clapping for the two of you.

“So this is Chen,” A voice comes from beside you.

“Lay!” You throw your arms around him and he spins you in a circle before setting you down.

“Didn’t know you would be married that fast, but,” He glances at Jongdae and steps away from you.  “Congratulations and,” He drops his voice and whispers in your ear.  “Are you making him jealous on purpose?”

You glance back at Jongdae and laugh.  “Yes I am,”

Jongdae pulls you away from Lay quickly and grins at him.  “You must be Lay,” He shakes Lay’s hand and politely bows at him.  “Thanks for taking care of her all this time,”

Jongdae faces the crowd of people in front of him and bows, 90 degrees, “Thank you, to all of you, for taking care of her all this time and from keeping her from breaking down and from not losing your hopes from myself, simply for having that little bit of trust in me, as Chen, and as Kim Jongdae,” He straightens up only to bow again.  “Thank you,”

Everybody answers to his bow and they clap once again wishing you a long-lasting marriage before you two even got married.

“We’re not even married!” You laugh, automatically linking your arm with Jongdae’s.

“But it’s 12 o’clock midday so, gotta get ready!”  Eun just pulls you away from him and Jihoo pulls Jongdae away from you, the two sharing a wink before coming into one of the rooms in your house, now magically transformed into a dressing room for you.

“And now, let’s begin!” Eun claps excitedly, gesturing for Kyoungmi and Hyosung to start with your wedding preparations, setting the dress aside, keeping your excitement at bay for its appearance.

Female make-up artists and hairdressers tidy you up, dabbing lipstick on your lips, brushing blush on powder on your cheeks, lining your eyes, coloring your eyelids, blowing your hair, and so on. 

“Now, for the dress,” Eun smiles.  “Close your eyes and if you try to open it just a crack, I’m gonna kill you,”

“Okay, Eun,” You grimace at her tone, closing your eyes as the people around you undress you, replacing the clothes you were wearing with a slightly heavier wrap of clothing, spinning you around before letting you stop, helping you step up on some higher part of the floor.

“Here we are, now open your eyes,”

***

“So lucky,” Lay shakes his head at me.

“I know right,” Luhan nudges his elbows at Lay, shaking his head too at me.

“Hey,” I glance at them.  “It’s been a lifetime since I was with her, where have you two been?”

The two laughs at me.

“Know that I kissed her, though,” Lay smiles smugly.

“Don’t care, wasn’t her first kiss,”

“Thought so,” Luhan laughs, patting Lay’s shoulder.

“A bit mean, though, Chen,” Lay shrugs and I nod.

“I know, but you know,” I make an explaining gesture with my hand at him, as if I was explaining everything to him. 

“I got it, I got it,” Lay nods, smiling at me again.  “Well, have a long life and marriage with her, then,” He shakes my hand and exits the room with Luhan behind him, asking him questions about what he understood.

I let the people around me dress me up, slipping my arms into the tuxedo prepared and nodding at them with thanks as I glance at myself in the mirror.

I just need to see her now.

Everybody peeks out of the room I’m in to ask whether or not she’s done and someone shouts yes, so at the count of three, I am let out of the room, and am faced with nobody.

Lay laughs aloud at me.  “You’re only going to see her for the wedding kiss, Jongdae, and that’s still—“

“4 hours to go,” I roll my eyes but cope with the condition as the house starts to recieve guests and the time goes by.

One hour.

Two hours.

Three hours.

“And now, let us welcome the bride,” Lay announces as the person in charge of the vows.

And from the end of the hall, I see her, the most beautiful, bright, precious woman I have ever seen in my life.

“Agasshi,” I say breathlessly, keeping my eyes on her as she walks down the red carpet.

People murmur in amazement at her moving figure.

Wrapped in white clothing, the dress falls down to her ankles and drags in a long, translucent cloth behind her back.  It tightly fits around her slender arm, the neckline wrapping around her neck.  Her hair, tidily set up in a complicated, braided, bun behind her head and her glowing face, a bouquet of her favourite flowers in her hand and her father by her arm, helping her up the stairs and onto the same, level ground as I am after taking her bouquets, leaving her arms empty.

“Agasshi?” She asks quietly.

“Rain,” I smile, taking her hand.

“We’re getting married,” She blushes at the word.

“Yeah, we are,” I clutch tighter onto her hand.

We go through our supposed vows and I just keep my eyes on hers, not leaving it for even a milisecond and finding it completely difficult to just blink.

“Do you, Kim Jongdae, take this woman, Park Rain, the second daughter of the Park family, as your wife?”

“I do,” I clearly pronounce.

“And do you, Park Rain, the second daughter of the Park family, take Kim Jongdae as your husband?”

“I do,” She says, with the brightest smile on her face.

“And now, you may kiss the bride,” Lay says finally, closing his book.

I slip my arms onto her waist, no longer strange to me anymore and plant my lips on hers as she pulls me closer to herself with her arms around my neck.

The audience erupts in applause and petals of her favorite flower fall around my unison and hers, and as the two of us reluctantly let go of each other, her father gives her the bouquet and we both throw it into the crowd, coincidentally having Eun catch it.

“You’re next, Eun!” She yells and the crowd applauds again, the wedding coming to an end and our life just beginning.

With me loving her and with her loving me, with all our hearts, minds, souls, bodies and lives.

 

THANKS FOR COPING UP WITH 43 CHAPTERS OF TOO MANY WORLDS GUUUYYYYYSSSSS

you know i wanted to make a sequel for this and omg this chapter is slightly, err *fans myself* WHOO, :x BUT THAT WOULD RUIN THE ESSENCE but i'll consider it if you guys really want one, an extra chapter for the gift revelation and some little bit of . IF you guys really want one KEKEKEKE

by the way YES IT'S OVER after 43 chapters of fighting, tears, laughs and whatnot, Too Many Worlds end happily with Agasshi (turning out to be Park Rain (Park Rain and Park Rin, geddit? keke)) and Kim Jongdae (uri Chen Chen) married, and Eun and Jihoo getting married.

I LOVE YOU. ALL OF YOU :***

And here are the sequels you've been requesting!

Non-

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/351017/too-many-worlds-sequel-romance-sequel-you-chen

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/351015/too-many-worlds--sequel-romance-sequel--you-chen