Chapter 13

Too Many Worlds

 

You just finished with work and you’re in the car, going through your plans.  Chen, too, knows about this because he adds in the little details he remembered while you recite it from your head.

“Baekhyun-ah!” You speak into the phone.

“Oh! Jagiya!” His voice came through.  “What’s up?”

“I want to see you,” You simply say, listening to his chuckle across the line.

“I’m free.  Where?”

“In my sister’s apartment,”

You nod knowingly as you notice the less composed tone he has as you told him your place of appointment. 

“What building and what number?” Baekhyun asks.

“Spade Building, apartment 2903.  I’m on my way right now, okay! See you there,” You snap the phone closed.

“Agasshi, remind me to never get on your bad side,” Chen suddenly says, a shiver in his voice.

You laugh at Chen’s words, urging him to hurry on.

The two of you go through the usual corridors and you reach your sister’s apartment, pressing the bell as usual and greeting her in a tight hug. 

“Unnie,” You say, following her hand into the room.  “I’m inviting Baekhyun over, it’s okay right?”

“Oh?” Rin responds, the grip of her hand on yours loosening the slightest bit.  “Sure, sure! Haven’t seen him in a long time,”

The two of you sit on the sofa and wait for Baekhyun’s arrival while Rin talked to you about the meetings she attended within the last week.

Just when you were laughing about the funny way Rin describes the attitude of a manager, the bell rings.

“That must be Baekhyun, unnie!” You clear your throat, cutting off your laugh.

“Right, I’ll get it, so wait, okay?” She says, the shift of the sofa’s cushion indicating that she had gotten up.  You listen carefully to the pad of her slippers against the floor and to the click of the lock, the oiled hinges silently opening as your sister pushes the handle down and pulls the door open.

“Baekhyun-ssi!” You hear her greet. 

“Rin-ssi, hello! Is your sister he—Jagiya!” You hear Baekhyun’s voice, chirpy and happy and all as he notices your presence.

“Hi, Baekhyun,” You turn your head towards the source of his voice, putting on your best smile.

The three of you move onto the dining table, and you purposefully make Jongdae sit beside you so that Baekhyun is across you, and your sister beside you.

You listen to the conversation Baekhyun and Rin had developed, your head lowered as you know the facade they’re playing.  Under the table, Jongdae’s hand find yours and he grips it reassuringly, giving you the encouragement to proceed with your plans.

“Unnie, Baekhyun-ah,” You start.

The two of them stopped their conversation an answered.  “Yes?”

“I know, okay.  I know,”

You shake your head at Rin’s slightly nervous chuckle.  “Know what, sis?”

“Baekhyun-ah,” You ignore her question and call Baekhyun’s name.  “I’m breaking up with you,”

Rin and Baekhyun aren’t idiots like you so as you utter the 5 words, they shift in their seats, the scrape of their chairs against the floor noticeable to your ear.

Rin was the one to begin.  “I’m, I’m so—“

“Unnie,” You cut her off.  “Don’t apologize, okay.  Take care of Baekhyun.  I’m sure you can do it better than I did,” You chuckle, continuing.  “And Baekhyun-ah.  Baekhyun-ah.  You too, take care of my sister.  You’re a good guy.  Sorry for not being the girl you can love,” You smile at his direction, the tug at your lips quickly disappearing.  Baekhyun-ah.  “Thanks for coping up with this blind girl for a long time, hm?” Once again, you let a chuckle escape your lips.

“The two of you, thanks for taking care of me.  But I hope you won’t lie again to me in the future,” You stand up from your chair and bow towards them, tightly gripping Chen’s arm as the two of you exited the apartment without waiting for your sister and Baekhyun’s words.

You and Chen go back home and he guides you to your room as usual. 

Just before he closes the door behind you, you call him.  “Jongdae.  Can you, can you stay with me for a bit?” You keep your back towards him as you made your way onto your veranda, sitting at the metal bench as the night wind swiped your hair back.

You hear Chen settle beside you and you once again hook your arm through his.  “Sing something, would you?”

Chen has a beautiful voice.  His voice would become the consolation for you whenever you needed it.  And now, you need it more than you ever do.

Chen quietly sings a song, the song you always want him to sing.  You lean your head onto his shoulder and slowly bury your head in his arm, clutching it tighter towards yourself.  His other hand goes to your head and he gently caresses it as he sings the words;

‘Baby don’t cry, tonight,

Just treat it as if nothing happened,’

You let the sobs that choked you out as you cried onto Chen. 

“It’s painful, Jongdae,”