Chapter 9

Too Many Worlds

 

The material of his sleeve was familiar.    

You’re not a designer for nothing.  You’re not a blind designer for nothing.  Once you touch a material, you never forget its texture.

And that perfume.  The perfume Baekhyun had on.

You’ve sensed it somewhere else. 

“Jongdae,” You call for Chen’s attention in the car, leaning forward and finding his shoulder.  You grip it tight, and say; “I have to go to—“

At that second, your phone rings, startling you.  You feel your pocket and pull it out, flipping it open.

“Hello?”

Rin’s voice came through the line.  “Oh! Hey, lil’ sis! I just want to tell you that I won’t be in the apartment today.  The company needs me to make some decisions and I’m seeing father at the main building, so I’ll probably stay there until morning, which is when the meeting ends.  I—“

“—who!”

Hm?

“Eish!” Your sister’s irritated hiss came out muffled through the phone.  “I gotta go, heheh.  See you tomorrow, if you wanna visit!”

You would think that the line is cut off as Rin hangs up, but apparently, you notice that the rustle from the phone indicates that she throws her phone somewhere without hanging up on you.

You were just about to snap your phone closed when you, again, catch your sister’s voice.

“—phone!” Rustle, rustle.  “—you thinking?”

Muffled silence.

“—might be blind but she isn’t deaf!”

Who is she talking to?’ You fight against your will as you speak to Chen.  “Jongdae, Rin’s apartment.  Now.  Hurry.  Please,”

***

Your stomach churned as anxiousness clouded your mind.  Rin was talking about you.  Who else was blind in her life? She was panicked.  She’s hiding something from you.  .

You don’t know what to think or presume.

You don’t want to.

You follow Chen’s guide into your sister’s apartment building, up the lift and towards door 2903.

And just when your hand finds the bell, someone covers your ears from behind you.

You sense some shuffling behind you but you were oblivious to what it was.  The hands that blocked your hearing did not move and you were about to turn around when it tightened its hold on you, blinding you further to the condition of your surroundings.

You were too shocked to move.  Too scared.

When it loosens the slightest bit, Chen, clearly not the owner of those hands, says; “Agasshi,  we must leave,”

He rushed to hook his arm with yours and pulls you away, down the corridor and down the lift, not speaking a word until he lets you into the car and with a loud screech of the tires, drives away towards who knows where.

“Kim Jongdae,” You tried to keep your calm.  “What, was that, about?”

“I’m sorry, agasshi,” Chen immediately says, pain in his voice.  “I’m very sorry,”

“Who was that? What’s going on?” You repeatedly ask.  “Why—“

Another voice says.  It wasn't a stranger's.  “Calm down.  We’re going to your house,”

It was Kris.