Chapter 17

Too Many Worlds

 

“All this time, we did not even glance her way but at the renowned annual dinner gathering, she had spoken up and shown us what she was really made of.  Courage.  Intelligence.  And most of all, setting aside the fact that she has the inability to see, she was a woman of radiant beauty.

The blind second daughter of the Park family has made her way into reality.”

“She was only another daughter of the Park family until at the night of the annual dinner, she had stood up and took the side of her family and the Wu’s, outspeaking to the attendants of the party, which had barely any experience of being outspoken.  Everybody could only listen to her words, the one escaping her lips, the one reflecting the genuine truth.

Now, she isn’t just another blind daughter.  She’s the blind daughter of the Park family.”

“Without fear, this young lady faced a hundred politicians, directors, managers, people of higher rank than she is. 

Or are they truly, of a higher rank? Could anyone be positioned so, if compared to a daughter of the Park family?”

You intently listen to Chen’s words, your misery worsening by the second.

He was reading off an article on the newspaper.  And an article off the internet.  And an article in a notable magazine.

Sure it was full of good things, great things, really.

But you’re in the media.

You’re everywhere; on the internet, on the newspaper, on the magazines, Chen had read off of all the similar articles with quite the considerable lengths to you, and you were literally everywhere.

You’re in the media.

You’re publicly exposed.

“What am I going to do, Jongdae?” You frown, trying to think and focus on a solution but not being able to come up with any.  You’re messy.  Confused.

“I,” Chen said through clenched jaw.  “I truly don’t know, agasshi,”

You’re horrified, bewildered.  Everybody around you would talk to you about the articles, they would gush over it, applaud you for it, praise you, compliment you, any other things they could do, they will.  Happy things. 

But for you, you don’t want to be known.  You’ve avoided being known for 15 years.  For God’s sake, why, should you be known now?

Another question; why do you not want to be known? Why do you flee the prying eyes of the media and the general public?

Because you have school.  You have your work.  You have other lives to live.  Without being known.  As the blind second daughter of the Park family.

If people see these articles, which, they would, without a doubt, you’re immediately exposed.  Who else is blind and has a guy always sticking to you at all times?  And Chen had told you that your pictures were everywhere too.  Pictures that clearly state that the second daughter of the Park family is you.  Maybe your idea of wearing a disguise at work and at school was right.  Maybe you were supposed to actually do it.  It just didn’t make any sense and it was too troublesome at the time it popped into your mind but now, you wished with all your life that you had done the very idea.

Their view of you would change.  At school, you bet that people would die to be related to you.  Guys, to get closer to you and ask you out.  Girls, to become your best friends.  Teachers, to think highly of you and guarantee you the A*’s.  Feeling a bit haughty? No.  It’s the truth.  Being the daughter of the owner of the biggest company in the whole country is not what anybody can obtain.  It isn’t what anybody can be.  But being someone close to her can give you a lot of things.  And it’s something you can be.

At work, where people are actually trying to live off what they get, the morning greetings will stop.  The friendly exchange of small talk will stop.  You’re no longer the youth that made her way up from a scratch, you’re the daughter of the Park family that earned her way up and nobody would even believe that the designs you’ve made were those of your own hands.

In the streets, people will recognize you.  They will all judge you, try to talk to you, try to gain your attention, criticize you, whatever possible action they could do, they will.

Because now, you’re not just a girl.

You’re the blind second daughter of the Park family.

And your life of being normal has just been shattered.  Completely.

“Jongdae,” You snap out of your confusion as the only idea you could think of made its way into your mind.  “Take me to the office, please,”

Without hesitation, Jongdae guides you to the car and the two of you leave home, speeding towards the building of the magazine company you work at. 

At the entrance, the security guards recognize your car’s number and bow at you.  “Miss, what do you need at such a late time?”

“Is the owner here?” You ask, smiling up at him.

The guard nodded at his friend to check it out, and after half a minute he nods at the mutter his friend had given him.  “Oh, it’s a pity, miss, she had just left for home,”

“I see.  Then, I’ll be off too, ahjussi.  You’ve worked hard, thank you very much,” You dip your head in a bow and nodded at Chen for him to drive away.

The company owner’s home.  You’ve been there for some tea with her. 

“You remember her house right, Jongdae?”

“I do, agasshi.  I’m making our way there and let us hope that the owner has not fallen asleep,”

“Let us hope,”

The two of you share a silent ride, hoping, that the talk you’ll be having with the owner would bear results.  Scratch that, hoping, that you would get a chance to talk to the owner tonight.

“Agasshi, we’re here,” Chen says after the ride.  You didn’t pay attention to how long it took and you didn’t dare yourself to ask Chen what time it was.

Here goes nothing,’ You think to yourself as Chen presses the bell for you, the muffled ring it makes playing in your ear.

A few seconds of silence that could kill hangs in the air.

“Coming,” The familiar voice of the company’s owner said from behind the door.

You held yourself from cheering aloud as you waited for her to open the lock on her door.

“Hyun-sajangnim, good evening,” You deeply bow as Chen signalled to you that the door was open and the owner was standing there.

“Dear me,” She said, slightly taken aback by your presence.  “Come in, come in!”

Chen guided you inside and behind the owner, following her towards her living room, the one where you had tea with her previously.

“What brings the,” The owner said, pausing for a second.  “The two of you here?”

See.  She doesn’t have any idea that Chen is your assistant.  Your life assistant.  She only knows that the two of you are working partners.  Of course it would be strange for the both of you to come to her house at the middle of the night.

“Choi-sajangnim, I, I have a lot to tell you,” You quietly say.

“I’m listening,”

“But you have to promise me one thing,”

“And what is that?”

“You’ll wait for me to finish until you say something,”

The older female hesitates at this, but then sighs and gently answers you.  “Alright,”

You’re very close to her, of course.  Unless why would she let you in her house at the middle of the night? And you’re glad for the relationship you have with her, because she kept her promise, and she stayed quiet, listening, to your whole explanation.  First, you tell her who you really are.  Then, you tell who Chen is.  That needed more than 5 minutes of an explanation until you could get to the point, where Chen shows her the articles, leaving it to her to comprehend the situation properly.

“And I, am here, to humbly ask of your help, Choi-sajangnim.  Please, just please, help me with this tomorrow at work.  With everybody at the office,” Your voice had a begging tone, as you were completely desperate for this.

The owner thoughtfully stays quiet, and you don’t know if she was contemplating your request, or if she was overly shocked, or if she would be like the others; just tricking you to get on your good side.

But after the years you’ve known her, she was like family to you. 

“I would help you with all I can.  With all the power I have, I shall put it to use for your help,” Choi-sajangnim says firmly as she takes your hand, gripping it tightly in reassurance.

You lift her hand and stick it to your forehead, repeatedly thanking her.  You know it when people lie and when people tell the truth.

Choi-sajangnim was the latter.

She guides you and Chen out, before locking the door quietly telling you; “We can all only hope, that everybody can believe in me and believe in you, my dear,”

You hold on to her words all the way home, both fearing and anticipating for tomorrow to come.  It might be the time where you can continue with what you love, or it might be the second you stop, forever.  For school, there’s nothing you can do about it but wait and see for what’s about to happen.  Oh, another irony. 

“Jongdae, if it works, then I’m glad.  If it doesn’t, stay with me, okay?” You clutch Chen’s arm before you enter your room.

“Agasshi, I am always, truly always, beside you,”