Chapter 16

Too Many Worlds

 

“What did I just do?” You squeak, burying your face in your hands.

You’re back in the car with Chen now, and you’re off towards home. 

You hear Chen chuckle and lean back on your seat, sighing heavily.

“Agasshi,” Chen starts.  “Back then at the hall, it was one of the times I was most proud standing beside you.  Me, the assistant of the Park family’s daughter,”

Your lips tugged to a smile at his words, not fully, though, because the horrifying moments you experienced could not completely leave your mind.

“What you did wasn’t wrong, it was right, instead.  You were on your sister and Kris-ssi’s side, and, ooh, I just can’t explain how awesome you were back there,”

Finally, you grin.  ‘Awesome’.  “Do you think father will request a word with me?”

“I must say that he most probably will,” Chen answers you, but continues before you could heave another sigh.  “But for a whole different purpose,”

True, by the time you got home and Lena and the maids helped you clean up and change, you hear the intercom click as it played your mother’s voice; ‘Dear, can you come down for a second?’

Chen guides you downstairs and helps you into your seat at the table.  You nearly flinched when you hear your father clear his throat.  Other girls would say something like, “Am I in trouble?” at times like these, but you stay quiet, not a word escaped your lips before your father began the conversation.

“That was,” His voice said, pausing.  “Quite a stunt you pulled there,”

He did not ask you a question, nor did he ask you to speak, so you stayed quiet, holding back a nervous fidget as hard as you can.

“Thoughtless, without a doubt,”

You lower your head and press your lips together.

“But, you deserve my gratitude, my daughter,”

Your jaw slightly fell open at his words, and you dare yourself to lift your head and turn towards the source of his voice.  “Gratitude, father?”

“Soyoung, you continue,” You hear him sigh and push his chair back to leave the table, his steps fading away.  Inside, you slap yourself for asking him.

But then, you hear the gentle chuckle of your mother.  “You have to understand that he does not have the ability to properly express himself with words,” She says.  “He has quite a shy character when it comes to showing affection,”

Affection?

“Dear,” Your mother referred to you, catching your attention.  “I and your father are both proud to call you our daughter.  For your bravery against all those people in the hall, we are very proud.  For spreading out the truth for them, for standing up for your sister and us, for considering well of our alliance with the Wu family, we both thank you,” You hear her stand up from her chair and take your hand, guiding you to your room.

Before she closes the door, she calls you once more.  “Sweetheart?”

“Yes, mother?”

“Know that we both love you very much,”

The door clicks and your tears streamed down your face; the naive tears of happiness.

***

The events of last night still didn’t properly register itself into your mind. 

My daughter? Proud? Gratitude? They love me very much?’ You ask yourself as you repeat the words over and over again in your mind.  “Ugh,” You repeatedly shake your head.

“Still about yesterday, agasshi?” Chen asks you at the canteen table, helping you with your bread.

“Mm, yeah,” You nod.  Chen fully understands your shock about the conversation last night.  Glad that you weren’t there for some disappointment and trouble was one thing, but what your parents had said was a whole different one. 

One, your father almost never calls you ‘his daughter’, and he even rarely speaks to you.  But last night, he spoke directly to your face and called you his daughter at the same time.  Two, he gave you his gratitude.  Three, your mother said that she and your father are both proud of you.  Four, she, out of the blue, told you that she and your father love you very much.

Okay.

For other people, those are maybe the things their parents always say to them, whenever they do simple things.  But for you, they barely say or do those things that when they actually do, it takes you so much aback you need a whole night to think about it.  Plus another half of a day. 

When you get straight A*’s, when you rank first out of the whole school at the finals, when you win debates, when you achieve many, many things, all they did was ask Chen about it, and simply nod in approval, as if those things are the things you’re obliged to do.  You’re so used to it that the normal things they’re supposed to do as parents aren’t normal to you.

Strange, isn’t it?

The bubbly feeling in both your stomach and your heart didn’t stop throughout work.  You were all smiles, all grins, all chirpy and happy, both alone and when with other people. 

“Jongdae,” You say, a smile on your lips.

“Yes, agasshi,”

“Father called me his daughter,”

“Yes, agasshi,” Chen chuckles.

“And they were proud of me,”

“Yes, they were,”

“And they were thankful towards me,”

“Surely, they were,”

“And they love me very much,”

“Of course, agasshi,”

The conversation was repeated throughout the day, over and over again, and you’re thankful for the millionth time towards Chen for understanding you so well.  He just replies, nods, chuckles, with so much variety that you wonder how he came up with all of the ways he answered your sentences.  Other people would tell you to just stop it already, but not Chen.  He just listens, and answers, never without a smile in his voice.

“Unnie?” You say to your phone after you dialled your sister’s number.

“Yeah?”

“Can I come over?”

“Sure! I’ll invite Kris and Baekhyun over too, then,”

“No problem.  Be there in 10 minutes!”

As you arrived, you hear a familiar voice call your name.

“Oh, Kris-ssi! Hello,” You bow towards his voice and wait until his steps fall beside you before continuing on your way towards your sister’s apartment.

“I gotta say,” Kris says.  “It was amazing, what you did back at the hall,”

At this you smile.  “Being blind has its advantages.  I didn’t have to acknowledge the eyes of the people in there, didn’t I,”

Kris laughs and pats your head.  “Thank you, lil’ sis,”

Rin welcomes you with her usual tight embrace, pulling you in, leaving Chen and Kris by the door, not even completely done with taking off their shoes yet.  She sits on the sofa with you and squeals about what you did at the dinner party.

“My sister is so cool!” She giddily jumps on her seat. 

“Amazing, really,” You hear Baekhyun say, and you laugh at the buckets of compliments being thrown at you.  He then continues.  “I was saying hi to her and she was like, “Hey, shut up for a second, there’s something playing on the speakers,” Well that shut me up,”

Everybody laughed at Baekhyun’s sentence.  “I did not do that!” You clearly stated.  “It was, ‘Can you please be quiet for a moment?’ and I even apologized at first!” Even you couldn’t hold back your laugh.

“It was like a movie, oh my god,” Rin exaggerated.  “She went, ‘Oh really?’ and everybody was like, quiet and all and it was so silent and,” She finished off with another squeal, the “yeah” and “right”s from Kris and Baekhyun following suit.

“You cherish your sister a lot, don’t you,” Kris says. 

“And mother and father too,” Rin adds in.  “Including Kris’ family,”

The laughter died down and you nod, affection showing through your voice.  “I mean, you guys are the people who are always around me, right.  Why wouldn’t I cherish you?” You smile.  “I’m glad that nothing really bad happened, and I’m glad that no one is actually in harm’s way.  Baekhyun too,”

As the topic was closed, Baekhyun and Kris went out and home, leaving you and Rin at the apartment.  You told Rin about what your father and mother had said to you, as you know that those things were normal for your sister, considering that she is the first daughter they had. 

“Yeah, I thought they would start showing how they really felt towards you,” Rin hugs you before you go home.  “It was really amazing, what you did at the hall,”

Your smile didn’t leave your face throughout the way home and until you rest your head on your pillow, ready to get some rest after a whole day of just pure happiness.

But nothing truly goes the way you like, because your door bursts open and you hear Chen’s voice, quiet but very alarmed.

“Agasshi, this is bad,”

Oh no.

 

omg i really like to ruin happy stuff don't I

I TOLD YOU RIIGGHHTT it's gonn be bigggggggg

'big' isn't only chap 15

>:D

 

btw, even though this fanfic is still far from over, i think the next one i'm writing will be starring Lay.

Lay is so cute omg he's just so blank all the time

HAHA OKAY that was random

 

DON'T FORGET THAT I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!! 

A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!