Chapter 3

Too Many Worlds

 

“Hello, head designer,”

“How have you been?”

You smile and bow towards the greetings the company’s employees give you, replying to them and engaging yourself in small talk, something you enjoy very much as you don’t get to do it at home.  You enter your office; a spacious room with practically everything you need inside.  A chalkboard, where you roughly draw out your ideas, a drafting table where you do most of your work, a table with coffee makers and teapots, along with snacks, a wide table at the middle of the room where you do most of your work and a row of clothes, hung, as a result of your work and as a sample.  It’s funny, how a blind person becomes a designer.  It might seem impossible, but since the age of 13, clothes has been your escape from your inability to see.  The texture of the fabrics, the pain that stings your finger when your stitching misses its target, the flourish of a finished outfit on a mannequin, something you can’t literally see but you feel.  The gush of the models that put your outfits on, their happy exclamations and the delighted sentences the CEO gives you, it makes you happy.  When what you make or do makes people happy, it is when you are the happiest.

Work is a 4 hour period of your everyday life that brings you the day’s delight.  Chen, too, is your assistant in this place.  He probably knows as much about clothes as you do, remembering the amount of time he spends with you.

“You can already make something by yourself, Jongdae-ah,” You say, your hand gently pushing the fabric under the sewing machine.

“Perhaps,” He replies, concern in his voice.  Just when he’s about to speak some more, you stop him.

“Yes, I’m paying attention to my work,” You laugh, knowing that he always does that whenever you converse while you work.  “Oh, right,” You finish, setting the sewn fabric aside.  “Jongdae-ah, can I have the chalk?”

You pick out a chalkboard for your office because it’s easier for you to draw with it.  The chalks are sharpened (something Jongdae came up with), so you draw on it like you can with paper.  The difference in the chalkboard’s texture with the chalk’s result of drawing helps you to properly pour out your ideas of dresses.  It took time, but as years passed, it’s like you can see.  Your hand glided on the chalkboard, drawing on the pre-prepared body figures embedded on the chalkboard the dresses and the outfits you want them to wear and you want your hands to create.

“What do you think?” You step away and let Jongdae survey your work.

He thoughtfully immerses the both of you in silence, looking at the pictures of four dresses you’ve drawn.  Of course, you’ve given an arrow for each part of the dress to describe in detail what it’s made of and how you’re going to manage making it.  You know it isn’t tidy, but Jongdae is Jongdae.  He mutters to himself as he reads out your notes, having completely no trouble with the writings you’re not even sure how they’re placed.

“I’m going to stop saying ‘brilliant’ and ‘as usual’, so,” He chuckles.  “Let’s get to work?”

You beam at him, glad that he was satisfied with what you’re plotting.  You’re determined to finish at least two dresses today.  Chen opens a door by the corner of the room, which is the door to your fabric closet.  The various scents of fabric waft about the room and you enter with Chen, your fingers feeling the neatly rolled fabrics, ordered in shelves according to color, which is where Chen plays the most part in.

“Some cashmere, linen, chiffon, silk and satin, chantilly lace and cotton, and georgette, I think,” You say, remembering the materials for your dress.

Agasshi, we’re only doing two today,” Chen firmly states.

You sigh.  “Meh,” Your fingers tapped the roll of linen by your side.  “Linen then, the cream colored one and the light blue, and also the chantilly lace and cotton, black, gray and white, plus the chiffon.  Ribbons.”

The two of you began on the dresses, Chen properly providing you with the colors you want and getting the equipments you needed, paying attention to the things you’re likely to miss or make a mistake at, greatly assisting you in your work.

2 hours pass, and another, and another.  The alarm clock by your table rings, signalling the end of your 4 hour work.  That was exactly when the last bead was sewn into the collar of your linen dress and the ribbon tied as the only strap of your lacy dress.  You feel the body of the mannequin and pat them satisfiedly, although not seeing but Chen’s smiling voice is enough to let you know that the work done was satisfactory.

The both of you exit the office building and walk down the street, the night wind cold on your cheek.  Your phone rings and Chen picks it up for you.

“Your sister,” He mouths.

“Hello?” You speak into your phone.

“We don’t have dinner with father and mother right?” Your sister’s voice came across the line.  “You want to come over and have it with me instead?”

“Oh, yeah, we don’t,” You remember.  “Where, unnie?”

Your sister laughs at your question. “In my apartment, of course,”

 

 

xD i'm glad for the positive responses!!!

HELLO PEOPLE I LOVE YOU

this story is so slow i know omg i'm so sorry ;~;

i'll be sure to make something happen by the next chapter kekekekeke ^^

 

your comments are so nice ;~; can i reply to them how do i do that 

STAY WITH ME OKK 

this is just the beginning >:D