Chapter 39

Too Many Worlds

“Eun what are you doing?”

You frown at Eun, who is tidying up her hair in the mirror.  You know Eun.  She never does that.  Never ever, does that. 

“What?” She frowns back at you as if paying attention to her appearance was the most normal thing to do.

“Well, it’s just that—“ You a breath through your teeth in irritation.  “Never mind,” Shaking your head, you walk away into your studio, setting down the stack of files on your table loudly.

“Something wrong?” Hyosung takes a file and flips through it.

“Noootthhiinnggg,” You groan.  “Unless you know something about Eun having a crush on someone that I don’t because she’s been really weird lately,”

  “Err, you don’t know about it? Everybody, including the kids knew way back,” Hyosung lifts her eyebrows in mock suprise, teasing you with a grin.

“Tell me,” You slap her arm with a file.

“It’s Jihoo, isn’t it obvious?”

“But they’re complete opposites..” You say, taken aback.

“Maybe that’s the part where they come together,”

“Sajangnim!” The door bursts open and Woonha comes into the studio, a wide grin on his face.

“He knows too?” You mutter towards Hyosung.

“No, he wouldn’t care,”

The two of you laugh as you answer Woonha’s greeting.  “Hello, Woonha-ssi.  What’s with all the happiness?”

“I got an approval to shoot at the streets!”

Literally the streets.  Woonha had been wanting to do something like so, shooting pictures and a commercial film smack in the middle of Seoul.  Regarding the fact that it’s a really, really busy place, he had to go through quite a lot to get an approval, which, he obtained after months.

“Yay!!” You give him a high five and laugh at his excitement.  “Who are you planning to use?”

“Everyone, just everyone, please,” He counts the team with his fingers.  “You, Joonie, Mimi, Jihoo and Eun, each for a different concept which I already have in mind and—“ His sentence is cut off by his own excited squeal.  “Waiting, by the gate, hurry hurry hurry!” Woona zooms out the studio as fast as he came in.

You tidy your stuff up and walk into the shop.  “Hey Eun,”

“Hm?”

“We’re going with Woonha, hurry.  Ask Jihoo to come with us, I’ll call Yoojoon and Kyoungmi,”

“Got it,”

You frown at the bizarre response you got.  Eun would usually protest if Jihoo were involved in anything, because of his, rowdy, nature, but she just went ‘got it’ this time.  Love really does change people.

“Woonha-yah, you’ve got the clothes?”

An unfamiliar voice piques your interest as you make your way towards Woonha’s car. 

“Of course I’ve got the clothes, you think I’m an—“ Woonha raises his voice to answer, but upon seeing you, he halts in his tracks.  “Oh, you two, come out for a second,”

Two handsome guys exited the van, out to meet Woonha.  The one with blond hair was shorter than the other, with brown hair, sideswiped handsomely.  Both of them had excellent figure, fashionable clothes covering it cleanly fitting the slightly cold and windy weather. 

“What’s the—oh,” Blondie starts, but steps back in slight surprise in seeing you there.

“Kids, meet the sajangnim of this shop!” Woonha announces grandly.

“Oh! Hello!” Blondie bows, followed by the other ‘kid’. 

“Kim Jaemi,” You bow at him too, offering a handshake.

“Luhan,” He replies with a pretty smile, shaking your hand.

“If it isn’t rude, may I know how old—?” You trail off, the words slipping out without thought.

Luhan’s laugh tinkles in the air.  “I get it a lot, it’s okay.  I’m 22,”

“I bet you get the words oh-my-God-you-don’t-look-your-age a lot too?”

He laughs again and nods.  “Yes, that’s right,”

You turn towards the other guy and smile at him.  “Kim Jaemi,” Again, you offer a handshake.

“Lay,” He gives you a thin smile and shakes your hand. 

“He’s 21,” Luhan adds in chirpily.

“I expected that,” You laugh, truly expecting the fact that the Lay, the guy with the older face, was younger than Luhan.

“Lay and Luhan will be working with us all!” Woonha says again, clapping his hands in excitement.  “Well, actually, with you.  You three are together for the film and the shoot,” He goes to the van and asks you, “It’s okay if I bring the rack of clothes over, right? I kind of need a lot of choices,”

“It’s fine, it’s fine,” You answer. 

“Ya, Woo Jihoo! Hurry!!” You hear Eun shouting from the shop. 

“Oh shoot, I haven’t called—sorry, gotta make some calls,” You flash Lay and Luhan an apologetic smile as you take out your phone to dial Yoojoon and Kyoungmi, telling them to meet everybody at the spot of shooting.

By the time you’re done with the two kids, you return to the van, to see Jihoo squinting at Lay and Luhan, saying; “Ulzzangs,” As if the two were too bright for him to see properly. 

You might be hallucinating but a slight sparkle catches your eye as you glance at Eun’s left hand.  Oh God, are they getting marr—

“Not getting in, sajangnim?” Lay waves at you, snapping you out of your thoughts. 

“Oh yes!” You swiftly run over and jump in, settling on a chair without a slip.

“Good one,” Lay glances at your stilettos and gives you a thumb up.

“Thank you,” The two of you laughs quietly as the engine rumbles and the van takes off towards its destination. 

The spot was not a very long ride from the shop, so you got there only after about 20 minutes.  You come off the van and immediately shiver because of the weather, the cold wind brushing your whole body.

Your shoulders are suddenly heaved down by something and you realize that Lay had put on his warm cardigan on you. 

“Wouldn’t want to get sick before the shoot even began,” He smiles.

“Thank you,” You smile back and wait for Woonha and his crew to sort through the clothes.  You, Lay, Luhan, Eun, Jihoo, Yoojoon and Kyoungmi (who had already gotten there before you), sit down on the chairs provided and run over your script.  You with Lay and Luhan, Eun with Jihoo, and Yoojoon with Kyoungmi.  Repeatedly glancing over at Yoojoon and Kyoungmi, you notice a similar air hung above them, like the one you feel when you’re around Eun and Jihoo.  You notice again how they comfortable lean their heads closer to each other and read the script, the scene somehow unusually affectionate.  Even an idiot could tell that they were dating.  All the employees in your shop are dating and you’re forever alone.

“You’ve got us, sajangnim,” Luhan nudges your arm, grinning as if he just read your thoughts.

You laugh at the sentence and wrap Lay’s cardigan tighter around yourself, the three of you immersing yourselves into the script.

“All right! Let’s start with the maknae line!” Woonha calls over from the van.

People passing by stares at the crew and your team, whispering things that exclaim everybody’s ulzzang-ness.  You lower your head slightly to avoid recognition from people who might just recognize who you truly are.  When you draw attention, you’re used to doing things like that, since you’ve started Eunbok.

“Isn’t that the guy from the magazine?”

“The blond one, I’ve seen him somewhere,”

“His body is great, huh,”

A thick crowd was starting to form, and things, the ones you’ve hidden away, those you don’t want to touch or even remember, starts to surface in your mind.  Slowly, but surely, like the growing crowd around you, it clouds your mind and unknowingly, distrubs your rhythm of breathing. 

The chairs around you were already taken away because filming had already begun for Yoojoon and Kyoungmi, so there was nowhere you could sit on.  Trying to turn away from the crowd in front of you, you find another, behind you, and at your sides. A very quiet whimper escapes your throat as you, again, pull Lay’s cardigan around yourself as tight as you can.    

Suddenly, a strong arm wraps around you from your side through your back, hugging your shoulder tightly.  You almost shout in alarm when Lay quietly whispers.  “Shh,”

Almost immediately, you calm down.  Lay slightly moves his hand up and down your arm, rubbing warmth into it, even if he knows that you’re warm enough already.  His ‘real’ presence was what calmed you down.  You feel like you’re not alone.  And that alone is enough to shoo your fears away.

For 2 periods of shooting the two of you stayed like that, you leaning into him and him having his arm around you.  You could’ve dozed off if not for the loud call Woonha directs at you, Luhan and Lay. 

“Last one! Go change, you three!”

Luhan, who was away buying bubble tea and food, trots over back to the spot right when Lay lets go of you.  You directly feel a sense of longing, for his warmth and silent company.  Luhan goes to change first and you quietly stand beside Lay in waiting.

“Thank you,” You breathe, keeping your head down.

“You’re okay right?” He asks.

You nod in response.

“Then you’re welcome,”

Lay then takes his turn to change and Luhan goes to run over the script with Woonha first.  You’re the last to change and inside, the male crew switches with the female ones.  They picked out a set of outfit for you and you swiftly change into a casual, fitted, black shirt, the sleeves falling slightly above your wrists, and over it, you put on a tan coat, falling to your knees.  The stylists say to keep it ed, so, the straps fall nicely over the coat.  The leggings come next, a highlight for the shape of your legs.  The dark ankle boots match perfectly with the leggings, and the red scarf tops it all, making you pop even though you’re dressed in dark colors. 

Glancing at the mirror, you see that the stylists had slightly curled your hair, so that if falls beautifully in waves down your back and on your shoulder.  The make up you had on was thin, barely visible, maybe none at all because the stylists told you not to look to closely.  They didn’t know what to do with your face anymore, they said, because you’re that pretty.  You laugh at that and shake your head in bewilderment.

You step down the van gently and tuck your hands into the pockets of your coat, the shoulder bag slung on one of your shoulders.  You trot over towards Woonha and nod at the briefing he’s giving you, Lay and Luhan, surveying the location to match his concept with the filming.

“We can’t do this over and over again because sooner or later, your lips will turn blue,” Woonha says.  “Literally,” Definitely not joking.

The concept was kind of cliche because it’s about a man that glances at a phone somebody left behind and coincidentally, it had the wallpaper of a woman and her boyfriend, showing off their new couple rings.  Not long after, the woman comes back to regain her phone, thanking the man for taking care of it when he actually wasn’t doing anything like so.  The man notices the absence of the ring on the woman’s fingers and well, things just happen from there, including a flashback and stuff, but it ends up with the man successfully gaining the woman’s heart.

 But it’s pretty.  As expected from Woonha.

You play the woman (of course) and Luhan plays your boyfriend that broke you up and Lay plays the new guy. 

The shooting begins.

Lay sits in a cafe alone, sipping his hot drink and finds a phone on his table, pressing its button to glance at its screen, interested in the wallpaper.  Then, on cue, you rush into the cafe, glancing left and right before your eyes fall upon the table Lay is at, a rush of relief washing over your face.

Lay lifts the phone up and waves it at you.  “This yours?”

“Yes!” You take it from him and tuck it into your bag safely.  “Yes, thank you so much for taking care of it, thank you!”

Lay glances at your hand and smiles.  “You’re welcome.  Try not to be careless next time,” He laughs.

You laugh along and look at the seat across him.  “Erm, may I?” You point at it.

“Oh, please, help yourself,” Lay stands to pull the chair back for you.

“Thank you,”

The two of you chat comfortably and then Lay goes to the topic at hand.

“I didn’t mean to be nosey but the guy on your phone, is that—“

“He’s my ex,” You smile, taking the phone out and looking at it again. 

“Still?” Lay looks at your eyes, an understanding passing through the contact.

“Mm,” You pause, a sad smile on your face. 

“CUT!” Woonha shouts and claps.  “Pretty, pretty.  Luhan, flashback scene!”

You move out the cafe and ‘reenact’ a scene from the past, where Luhan buys you the couple ring and puts it on your finger, the two of you taking a picture to commemorate the 2 years you’ve spent together and the new ring he bought after the last one broke.  Luhan was an excellent actor because he totally aced that scene, naturally acting out everything with you, improvising here and there.

“Marvelous as usual, Luhan.  Cafe!” Woonha makes all the crew go back and forth professionally, filling the cafe with the shooting equipments again.

At the second cafe scene, Lay, who already had his phone on the table plays with it, spinning it around randomly as he listens to your short story. 

“Well, don’t bother, he’s got a new girl now,” You laugh sadly and sigh.  “And  I was telling you about it and you didn’t  even ask,”

“It’s fine, I can see the need,” Lay smiles at you.  “Say, you drinking that chocolate?”

You glance in surprise at your full mug and gasp.  “Oh yes!” You gulp it, too fast, because it burns your tongue.

Lay laughs at your silliness and quickly switches on his phone’s camera, snapping a picture of you with a scrunched up face and a chocolate mustache above your lips.

“Hey!” You couldn’t help but laugh at Lay’s picture-taking, trying to grab his phone and delete your picture.

“Nope,” He keeps it away from you and takes your phone instead, taking a picture of himself using the front camera. 

Lay’s fingers flies above the screen and switches the wallpaper to his own picture, and he switches his wallpaper to your scrunched up face. 

“See, matching wallpapers,” Lay smiles.

You, realizing what he’s trying to do, grins at him thankfully and take your phone back.  “Indeed, only, you look a lot better than I do,”

The scene ends with your combined laughter, Woonha completely satisfied with the results.

You exit the shop, laughing around with Lay, who really  kept the picture on his phone. 

“Don’t you dare send it to anyone!” You laugh, threatening him playfully.

“Luhan hyung, I’m sending a picture over!”

You squeal in protest and chase him around the set, the two of you barely containing your laughter.

***

“Yeol, tell the secretary I’m out for some food,” I sigh from fatigue.

“But you have a meeting,”

“Don’t care.  Just for a while,”

Chanyeol shrugs and lets me out, as I sneak quietly from the emergency stairs outside the building.  Noeseong is annoyingly situated at the center of Seoul, so I’m always faced with traffic if I go out with cars and faced with a slow crowd when walking. 

True, as I exit the (my) building, the crowd sweeps me away with its continuous, persistent rate of moving.  I squeeze my way through and enter a regular coffee shop, purchasing a hot drink and a cookie to bring back to the office.

A crowd was gathering at the cross section of the roads and I come over, just out of curiosity, to see what’s going on.

It was a photoshoot for a brand.  I glance at the shooting director’s chair and catch Samsung’s logo. 

I let my eyes trail over the camera’s direction and look inside the cafe becoming the center of the shooting site, and catch the models, sitting across each other with the woman’s back to me.  They were laughing, so it meant that the scene was happy.

The man was very handsome, his figure proportional and his face statuesque.

I shrug and make my way back to my building, running back up the emergency stairs.

Silently, a thought crosses my consciousness.

You're fine,’

Confused?

Here's reality; I forgot nothing.