Chapter 6

Too Many Worlds

 

The constant rustle of paper and the chatter of the management board indicates restlessness, which had settled in the room as the meeting progressed.

Once again, it might be strange that your family sent you to do meetings like these, but they have a reason to do so.  Since you were a little child you were taught the ways of the company, taught lessons of business management, economy, accounting, and many other subjects that would prepare you for these matters.  It was difficult at first, as they had to provide you with the sufficient books, remembering that you cannot read, and also with the specially altered stationaries that would assist you, but now, it’s all a breeze.  Everything that you are taught, you swiftly learn and apply, properly using the knowledge you’ve obtained in, previously, study cases, but currently, in real life. 

The company completely knows of your capability.  To them, you are both the flawed and gifted second daughter.  That’s why you are involved in their matters.

“Excuse me,” You stop their discussion.  After listening to them, you figure out that they’re fussing over nothing.  “Let me ask you gentlemen; what is the problem?”

“It’s the labour’s efficiency,”

“And then?”

“We can’t exactly fire the ineffective workers because if we do, we’ll be short on labour and—“

“Have you been giving their pays on time?” You cut one of the managers off.

“We, uh,” He hesitated, then continued.  “Only delayed the pay for a week or so,”

“Only? Don’t do that.  Please, pay them on time.  Then, have you been allowing them to go the day-offs?”

“Yes, but only for one day every month,”

“Make it three.  You get three right? Make theirs three too.”

“But—“

“Gentlemen,” You cleared your throat.  “These people are like you.  Though what differs you is the amount of money you receive after you work, but they, too, are people.  They need a break and they need their money.  It all comes back to us again, right.  The decrease of their efficiency until it gives us anxiousness is what we have caused.  There is no problem on this matter; just pay them on time and announce that they will have three day-offs in a month instead of one.  Matter solved?”

The people around you sighed, both in relief and guilt.  “Solved.”

You stand up and bow towards everybody, smiling at their apologies and telling them that it’s completely fine, as long as they fix what they promise to. 

“It seems simple when you speak,” They say.

“It really disturbs us but you finish it just like that,”

“Our gratitude is truly with you,”

You chuckle at their words and take Chen’s arm as he guides you out of the meeting room and out of the building, into the car and onto the next schedule.

Meetings, you solve problems that pull at your mind.  Although you’re glad that it’s solved everytime you participate in it, but you, too, have limits.  The continuous matters that keep coming out do tire you very much. 

By the time the meeting at work ended, you’re completely exhausted.  You drink from the water bottle Chen handed you and sigh aloud, leaning back on your seat in the car.

“Tired, agasshi?” Chen chuckles, pulling away from the parking lot.

“Very,” You answer with a word, unable to utter anymore.

“Home, then?”

Before answering, you think twice and decide against immediately going home.  “To unnie, Jongdae-ah,”

***

Your hands feel the wall for the bell and you press it, smiling at the sound it makes.

“Coming,” Your sister’s voice says just before the door of her apartment opens.

“Unnie!” You extend your hands and find her shoulders, hugging her.

Rin caresses your hair and pokes your cheek.  “You look tired.  A lot of things must’ve happened?”

“No, it’s just the meetings,” You sigh, still keeping up your smile.  Taking off your shoes and stepping onto the floor, your feet grazes a pair of footwear that was neither your size or your sister’s. 

“Oh, Kris-ssi is here?” You ask.

Rin laughs at your question and answers you while she guides you into her apartment.  “Those are my house slippers, silly,”

It was late and you kind of feel guilty about paying your sister a visit, but you’re glad that she welcomes you well anyways.  You share a quick conversation, you telling her about your day and she about hers, sipping tea on the sofa.

“Unnie, Baekhyun is coming back tomorrow,” You smile into your cup and finish your tea, giving it to your sister to set down on the table.  It was once again time to leave.

“Happy, aren’t you,” Rin chuckles, helping you up and passing your hand to Chen.  “He gave you chocolate bits, didn’t he?”

You laugh.  “How did you know?”

“Lena told me,” She answers.

You leave her apartment and go home, having enough for the day. 

There will be a lot to come tomorrow, still.  But, tomorrow is the day Baekhyun comes back so, it’ll be worth the energy.

***

 

The day passes like yesterday did, with all the meetings and with the gathering as an extra.  You didn’t feel tired at all though, because even though you finished at 6 PM, you are to go home and wait for Baekhyun (and your cookies). 

“Do I still have time to spare, Jongdae-ah?” You ask in the car, finished with the work gathering.

“Yes, why, agasshi? Do you want to visit your sister?”

“Yes, I think I left my scarf at her sofa,”

Just like yesterday, you ring the bell and enter your sister’s apartment.  “Sorry, unnie, I left my scarf, right?”

“Aw,” Rin giggled.  “I was hoping you’d completely forget so that it becomes mine,”

You playfully slap her arm, feeling the armrest of the sofa for the familiar fabric of your scarf. 

Instead, you find something else.

“What’s this? Unnie, you bought a new coat?” You ask, your fingers running through the crumpled material.

“Oh!” Rin pads over to you and pulls the coat away.  “Yep, it’s brown.  Just got it today.  It really caught my eye by the shop’s window,”

You shake your head and click your tongue.  “Unnie, you have a lot of coats already! Really, now,”

“Hey, who’s the unnie here?”

The two of you laugh and you tie your scarf on your neck, hugging Rin before exiting the apartment.

“Baekhyun is coming back tonight?” She asks.

“Yes! Yes he is!” You excitedly reply, now wanting to hurry home.

“Okay, okay, go on home then.  Have fun with Baekhyun!” Rin laughs, closing the door after you exit and locking it behind you.

Walking out the apartment’s building, you recall several things.  ‘Strange,’ You think, absently fiddling with Chen’s sleeve.  “Jongdae-ah,” You start.

“Yes?”

“Oh, wait, never mind,” You backtrack through your memories of your visits to your sister’s apartment.  “Hm,”

 

YEOROBUN ANNYEONGGGGGGGGGGGG!

whuddup yao kekekeekkekeke~

has any of you noticed something?

oops i shouldn't give you hints

 

anyways i'm REALLY really glad you liked this fic KEKE

keep liking keep liking!

saranghamnida ^^