Chapter 4

Later

Early the next morning, Chun finally made a realization to finally clear it all up. That he’ll no longer be staying any longer on his comfort zone. Anyway, sooner or later, he’ll come to realize and the people around him that the truth would find it’s way to reveal itself. So, he decided to call Charlene and talk to her about the matter he needs to clear up with her.

!@#$%^&*

Charlene was busy making her way to the bathroom when her cell phone rang. She got it quickly from below her pillowcase and then, immediately looked at the caller ID. When she found out that it was Chun, she anxiously greeted him as if they’ve missed each other’s company for a whole month.

“Wei, Chun!” Charlene exclaimed with a weird smile plastered on her face.

“Char…” Chun sounded drunk.

“Hey, what’s with you?” Charlene asked. “What happened?” Charlene asked again and didn’t receive a response. “Are you drinking?”

“…” Chun was speechless.

“I’ll go there!” Charlene exclaimed. “Right away.” She softly spoke and attempted to end the phone call, but she was stopped by Chun.

“No!” He yelled over the other line.

“What’s wrong?” Charlene asked, now even more sincere in her way of talking.

“You come by at the restaurant we always eat at, yeah?” He was stuttering. “I’ve something to tell you that’s very important.”

“Just tell me now.” Charlene replied, who is almost on the verge of crying just by the thought of her not knowing what Chun’s problems are. That sometimes, she really finds it hard whenever he just can’t trust her. He just can’t trust her with everything and tends to even regret the wedding.

“Wei, Chun!” Charlene exclaimed.

“At about 12 in the evening.” Chun ignored her and hung up the phone, even before he could say bye.

After the phone call, he threw his cell phone hard on the ground, leading it for the battery to come off the phone.

He messed up his hair and then ran a hand through his face, as if he is regretting what he just did. Should he really tell her the truth? The truth that he doesn’t love her? Would she comply with his actions? What could possibly happen? Those are the questions that ran through his mind as he drank another bottle of beer.

!@#$%^&*

Ella woke up and looked as if typhoons just got pass her. Some of her buttons were misplaced and some were ed, her hair was all in a mess that it isn’t in any way recognizable to her usual hairstyle. Humongous black circles under her eyes made her look even more like an addict. What could she do? Fate just wouldn’t let her off. Fate just wouldn’t let her not see him.

She managed to walk a few steps forward to go to the bathroom as she swayed from left to right as if drunk. She gripped hard on the sink edges and then looked at herself in the mirror.

“This is me, isn’t it?” She asked no one in particular and laughed with no particular reason. “I’m going crazy, am I not?” She asked herself again. “It’s his entire fault.” She spoke softly and landed her on the bathroom tiles.

She was feeling lost and she didn’t know what to do. How could life possibly go on, if she’s in here, spending her time pitying herself? She still loves him, yet she keeps on denying. Why can’t she just admit it? Because she’s even happier to see him happy, but then… He actually isn’t happy for whatever’s fate bringing them, so it must be that she gets the chemical reaction to feel unhappy too to even pity herself.

“I mustn’t be like this.” She laughed haughtily. “I’m not going to lose to him, because I certainly would find a job for me today.” She stood and fell afterwards, leaving her no choice but to sulk over the floor. That she just can’t do it. That when she thought she was stronger, it turns out that it’s the other way around.

!@#$%^&*

“So?” Charlene was trying to cheer him up for a little bit, but it just won’t work. “What important thing is it that you wanted to tell me?” She kind of felt happy, thinking that it’s a good thing.

Chun was there, right in front of her, staring at the windowpane there is on the restaurant. He turned to face Charlene and then stopped and examined her face afterwards. He examined her whole features, until she realized that really is it that he had no feelings towards her. In the past, just looking at Ella makes his spine feel a chill, but for Charlene? There’s none.

“As I was saying…” His features were damn serious, making her a little dejected.

Charlene, for a little bit, examined her Adonis-like features and realized that perhaps, he is the one. That he is the one who she should love. But then, it was only for a while that she did that. You know—just to reduce the intensity building up in between them and to lighten her feeling for whatever he has yet to tell her.

“Go on.” Charlene encouraged Chun as she looked intently in his dark orbs.

Chun managed to gaze away. Just by the thought of her interlocking their gazes, makes him even more feel embarrassed and regret whatever he has to say to her.

Charlene noticed this and kept her eyes all to herself as she found the table quite amusing.

Chun was currently looking at the windowpane yet again and then…

“Elle…” He whispered, not clear enough for Charlene to hear.

He stood up from his seat and raced through the main entrance of the restaurant, leaving Charlene with her jaw-dropped expression as she completely glued herself to wherever she was in.

She’s patient, yes she is. She’s used to playing safe, so she stayed in wherever place she was currently in and waited for Chun’s arrival.

“Ella!” Chun exclaimed and gripped hard the wrist of the woman who he taught was Ella.

“Let go off of me.” The woman slapped his arm away and spun herself around for him to see that she isn’t the one who he’s looking for. “I think you’re mistaken.”

“Sorry.” Chun apologized and shot her eyes out wide on the ground.

He’s just starting to go insane. He’s starting to go crazy, but he managed to swallow his pride and then walked back in the restaurant to find Charlene still there, waiting patiently for him.

“I’m sorry.” Chun apologized; Charlene just smiled and turned up to see his all bewildered face.

“Ch—“

“Let’s go.” Chun walked a few steps ahead of her to exit the restaurant, leaving Charlene thinking of all the possible thoughts of why he’s acting this way.

“Is it because of her?” Charlene asked herself.

Who is the ‘her’ she is talking about? How would we know? Only we could read with our eyes and patiently wait for the next chapter just as Charlene waited for Chun’s comeback.

Everything now seems like a blur to Charlene. Why is he acting this way? Was there something he hasn’t told her? Why? Why? Why do all questions that aim for a reason start with a ‘why’?