Déjà-Vu

Teach Me To Fall For You
*Jikyoung's POV*

"Oh my gosh," I said, speechless at what Yasmin was telling me. "He seriously thought that? And he chased you, all that way?" I asked. She nodded. "That's the second wierdo I've attracted since I got here," she said. I frowned. "I got hassled by some guy at the subway station. That was when I met Kai," she explained. I nodded knowingly, and couldn't help noticing that she had gone a little red at the mention of Kai. I didn't say anything-she looked too tired to be up to teasing. Just then, the bell rang. "Well, I guess I'll see you last period," I said. Yasmin nodded and smiled. I got up and headed for my science class, but I had only gone a little way when I saw Kai and…I mentally facepalmed. Kai was with the guy who had pulled me out of the road. I pretended I hadn't seen them, and I thought I'd got away with it. That was until Kai said hello. "Oh, hi. Thanks for phoning me yesterday, I was worried," I said, hoping that I didn't look as awkward as I felt. He smiled. "Don't worry about it. This is Lu Han by the way," he said, motioning to the boy. My eyes drifted to his face. There was no doubt that he was handsome...in an innocent, baby deer sort of way. "Hi. We've met before," I said, before mentally slapping myself. Great thing to say. He smiled shyly. "Hi," he said quietly, before turning back to the hallway in front of him. 'Very shy,' Kai mouthed at me as he turned to follow Lu Thingy down the hall. I rolled my eyes and carried on to science.

 

*Yasmin's POV*

I was still angry about Jeongmin. Why would he think that I wanted to see him? I pushed my way off the bus at my stop and sighed. Looking around, I marvelled at how nice the city looked. It was the end of the rainy season, and it was a crisp evening, gentle sunlight thrown onto the road. Office workers were still filtering out of their buildings, wanting to get home. The trees would be turning soon, and a few already had a golden tint in the leaves. "This is so nice," I said to myself in English, feeling a brief pang of homelessness. Canada was always beautiful at this time of year; it was when the stereotypical image of the country became real; the forests became rich and enchanting; the bears and wolves could be heard in the rural areas; the air became colder and the inhabitants began preparing for Winter. I wondered how the friends I had left behind were doing. Like Molly, my friend from baseball, or Chad, my oh-so-American partner from my old music class. I was still wrapped up in my memories that I hadn't noticed that I had walked into the path of a photographer. "Oh sorry," I apologised and bowed briefly before carrying on walking. I was now in a park, which meant I wasn't far from home. I couldn't wait to get in and relax. "Yasmin," I heard behind me. I froze-I could recognise that voice anywhere. "Yasmin, I know it's you." I turned and glared at Jeongmin.

"What luck," I said coldly, looking back and realising that the photographer had been taking wedding photos-and it was his 'family wedding'. I tried not to lol at him. "Did you get my message?" he asked. I nodded stiffly. "Good. I didn't want to spring myself on you, so I thought it would be better for your mother to tell you," he continued. My head snapped up, fuming at his cheek. "Well aren't you the gentleman," I said sarcastically, walking away from Jeongmin. "Yasmin...we really need to talk," he replied. I stopped dead in my tracks and swung round to face him. "Oh, we need to talk do we? Now? Right now? We didn't need to talk eight months ago, we didn't need to talk when you screened my calls, when you left me with no reason? But we need to talk now? Right. That makes sense." I glared at him. 

He stepped forward, extending his arm. "Yas-" "No! You are not going to play that card. You are not going to blank me for eight months, then come at me with some apology. The damage has been done. I have no need for your stupid apologies, they're not enough. Nothing can erase the pain, nothing. I'm never gonna get back any of those hours I spent crying over you. And for what? You to blank me, treat me like a stranger even though we were..." I trailed off. I couldn't say it. "We were what?" he asked, testing my resolve. My head snapped up and I looked him dead in the eye. "You know what we were," I growled. "I don't know what games you were playing then, and I don't know what games you're playing now. I don't know what you're looking for, this twisted idea of perfection that you think you'll find by leading people on, but I do know one thing: if you treat your next girl the way you treated me then she will walk away before you get the chance to." He stood there, dumbfounded at my emotional offensive.  "Woah. I didn't realise I'd hurt you so much," he mumbled.

"Oh, I'm a mess because of you. I have nightmares. I cry myself to sleep-sometimes I don't even sleep at all. I'm socially awkward, I hate seeing couples. But most of all, I'm scared because of you. I can't go near anyone because I'm scared that they'll be like you. If anyone shows interest in me, I push them away. You've stopped me from being affectionate. Someone is going to have to teach me how to love again. Heard enough? I don't want to 'talk'. Have a nice life."

And with that, I spun on my heel and strode away, tears forming in my eyes as my strong facade crumbled away.