Chapter Two: Memories

I'm Yours

Eunkyung had met Kikwang in their sophomore year. They were seating partners in their one class they shared. Although Kikwang was extremely shy at first, he began to open up to his partner and eventually they became best friends. By the end of sophomore year, they were sharing drinks and everyone in their year knew them as inseparable.

“Yah Eunkyunggie! I’m going to audition to become a star one day! You have to cheer me on or else I’ll hate you forever!” Kikwang had said once to her at lunch one day in their junior year.

 Not many knew, but Kikwang was extremely talented. He had danced and joined underground competitions and even sang in front of her a few times. Eunkyung hadn’t taken him seriously at the time, but when the time came in the middle of their senior year for him to leave for training, Eunkyung had realized Kikwang was actually going to be a star. She also realized something else.

She liked him.

She didn’t recall exactly when she started to feel for her quite handsome best friend. But she couldn’t explain why she suddenly became jealous of girls that would come up and talk to him in their senior year. Their classmates only found out about his talents then, making him an instant girl magnet. Another time that she couldn’t explain was when Kikwang gave her a back hug one day after class in the hallway in an effort to surprise her. She had never felt her cheeks get that warm and her heart beat twice as fast.

And now Kikwang was going to pursue his dream.

“You better keep in touch with me you pabo.” Eunkyung had told him the night before he would leave. She had stayed over his house for dinner to throw him a congratulations/goodbye party with his family. They now stood outside together, leaning against his porch and enjoying the night atmosphere together.

“You know Kwanggie, I don’t know if I’ll be able to imagine you as an idol.” Eunkyung had told him with a smirk. “You’re too goofy.”

“Yah, my talents will cover that up! Plus my good looks.” He grinned at her as she rolled her eyes.

“Aish, you’ve become so cocky this year just because all the girls at school found out about your acceptance!” Eunkyung exclaimed, shaking her head.

“Do I sense some jealousy Eunkyung?” Kikwang had suddenly asked. This had caused Eunkyung to tense up slightly.

“Andwae…like that would ever be possible.” Eunkyung scoffed,  and quickly regained her composure. But Kikwang seemed to sense something otherwise.

“I don’t think so.” He said and suddenly he was closer to her, his chest almost hitting her shoulder. This wasn’t the first time her and Kikwang had been so close to each other. So why was it only now that her cheeks were going red? Eunkyung inhaled sharply as she felt his warm breathe against her ear as he whispered,

“Are you sure you don’t like me Eunkyung?”

“I’m sure.”

“Really?”

“Positive.”

She turned her head to look at him, but gasped instead, as Kikwang leaned in without hesitation to capture her lips.

His lips were softer than she imagined.

With one quick movement, Kikwang had Eunkyung’s body against the railing of his porch, his own body pressing against hers with his arms gripping at the railing on each side of her. Eunkyung’s arms wound themselves around his neck as their kiss began to get heated, their tongues dancing together.

So many things were whirling in Eunkyung’s head. It didn’t quite register right away that she was making out with her best friend. Her best friend. Kikwang had always been the goofy, funny kid with the adorable laugh to her…the one who could cheer her up instantly and also the one that was the very source of her migraines at times. She was kissing him.

It felt like eternity when Kikwang finally pulled away, Eunkyung immediately missing the feeling of his lips on hers.

He released the grip on the railings and moved away from Eunkyung and back to beside her, saying nothing. He was unable to look at her. His cheeks were slightly flushed from their sudden decision to attack each other, as was hers. Eunkyung looked away too because she caught the glimpse of sadness in his eyes before he looked away. She knew.

“Eunkyung I shouldn’t have...we can’t—Kikwang started.

“I know.” she simply replied before he finished. Kikwang was going to be an idol after a few years of training. There would be no time for…whatever they had together. There wouldn’t be time for it for a long, long while.

They had promised each other the next morning, the day of Kikwang’s departure to Seoul; that they would forget about their kiss the night before, as if it never happened. Well, Kikwang was the one who wanted to forget. Eunkyung would never forget it.

“I’ll keep in touch Eunkyung.” He had said with a smile, kissing her forehead swiftly before turning his back toward her, toward his dream.

Like the best friend he was, he did keep in touch with her for the first year of his training. He was only allowed to come down once in a while…maybe 3 times a year if he was lucky. It was his second year of training when Eunkyung barely got her calls returned, and was always cut short to talk with him because of his vigorous schedule. By the third year of training, Eunkyung declared herself forgotten in Kikwang’s new life.

It’s been two years now since his third year of training, and Kikwang was indeed an idol…a very popular one at that matter. The group was known as BEAST, a heart throbbing group of good-looking boys with singing and dancing talents. That’s all Eunkyung really knew about her former best friend’s group.

That’s all she allowed herself to know.

---

Thank you to everyone who has liked my fic so far! I'm still in the process of writing the story, so please be patient with me. :) I plan to update daily, but it all depends. Especially with my winter break ending on Tuesday, I'll be back in school. :/ No worries though! I still plan to keep you guys posted as much as I can. This is my first fic, and it's seriously a lot of fun to write.