002

Happy Without Me

 

Two years ago, 20XX

 

 

 

“You have to stop being so nervous, she’s just a fellow human being.” The lady from the other line sighed at her friend.

“I know that, but it’s my first time meeting her. And…of all places, New York!” She frowned as she leaned in to her seat, she was currently sitting at a posh restaurant that was situated in the heart of Manhattan.

“I told you it’d be a good thing flying to New York for the business summit. It’s a trip with the boyfriend too.” Her friend teasingly said, Jisoo rolled her eyes and eyed the windows, she had the perfect view of Central Park.

“I’ve never met her, you know, I’ve only heard rumors. Her brother’s nice, super polite, but, it’s Im Soojin.” Jisoo murmured again as she picked up her cappuccino, her boyfriend, Shownu had left her at their table to go fetch his friend. Soojin was said to be at Central Park, she had friends to meet up with.

“Stop worrying, I met her once before, she’s actually okay. Pretty, ridiculously pretty. But, you know she never gave off a weird vibe.”

“You mean spoiled demeaning child of the old rich vibe?” Jisoo mused, her friend chortled.

“Exactly, it’s amazing how she’s been away and working for the Swiss Bank. I bet her family’s begging her to come home by now.”

“I heard the same thing from Shownu oppa too. Anyway,” She glanced up and she paused. She let out a small inaudible gasp.

“I’ll call you later, thanks for waking up.” Jisoo mused, her friend snorted and ended the call. She turned to the windows again, and her brows rose. There she was, one of her boyfriend’s closest friend and Jisoo couldn’t help but stare. She’d seen photos of her, Shownu had shown her Soojin’s social media accounts before.

“Ridiculously pretty.” Jisoo shook her head, Im Soojin was dressed in, what she presumed was a Louis Vuitton long leather coat, its tie was cinched to her waist. A pair of oversized sunglasses rested on her head as she crossed the street, while chatting with Shownu. She was speaking rapidly to him, and she was smiling too.

Jisoo’s eyes went to the girl’s feet, of course she was hearing stiletto boots.

She straightened up as they neared the restaurant, the two stepped in the establishment and Soojin discarded her coat, revealing the Balmain mini dress she was wearing inside. Shownu caught Jisoo’s eye and smiled at her.

“I know, I did tell them not to take it yet, but somehow director Song let it silde and now it’s a mess.” She heard the girl speak as they reached her, Jisoo stood up and smiled at the girl.

“Soojin-ah, this is Jisoo. Jisoo, this is Soojin, Changkyun’s older sister.” Shownu announced, Soojin met her gaze and the girl broke into a smile.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Soojin-ssi.”

“Oh no, let’s drop the honorofics. You’re Son Hyunwoo’s girlfriend, no need for that.” The girl chuckled, keeping gher tone casual and she gestured for her to sit.

“Oppa said you’re here for work as well?” Jisoo asked, noticing the stack of three Cartier bangles on the girl’s arm.

“Yes, I have a couple of clients that I need to meet.” She said as she picked up the menu, Shownu took the seat beside Jisoo.

“When does the summit start?” She asked her.

“This afternoon, we decided to roam around for a bit.” Jisoo continued.

“Hyunwoo-ah, how about you take her to that Italian place, the one Hyungwon suggested. They serve the best pizza there. Well, the best in the city.” Soojin turned her gaze to her.

“For how long are you staying here?” Jisoo asked, she wanted to get to know the Im girl more.

“I leave in two days actually.”

“Two days? You said you had enough time to join us in Chicago.” Shownu turned to her, Soojin put her menu down and pointed at one of the dishes, he nodded back at her.

“I had to reschedule flights. I’m needed back at the office.” She actually looked sheepish, Shownu rolled her eyes before calling for the waiter.

“Well, enough about him. Tell me, how did you two meet? Please tell me he made the first move, because knowing him, he doesn’t-”

“Im Soojin.” Shownu muttered, Jisoo grew amused and chuckled at her boyfriend, she reached out to pat his arm.

“He sent me flowers a week after we started talking. So, I think that counts as him making the first move?”

Soojin grinned at her before looking at her friend again.

“Good job, Son Hyunwoo.”

 

 

 

Oh Seri looked up from her laptop as a bright pink Hermes Birkin landed on her table with a soft thud.

“Chaerin, hello.”

Her friend sighed and plopped down on the seat across hers, the other girl grimaced and set her laptop aside, knowing fully well that she wont be able continue working now that her friend was here.

“Are the wedding preparations going well?”

“Yes. It’s going so well, that I want to start something just to see what happens.”

It was Seri’s turn to sigh.

“Then why do you look so….annoyed?”

“My cousin flew out to New York the other day. And somehow, Im Soo’s there too for work.”

“So, you’re jealous you wont be able to see her as well?”

“No. I can always fly to Switzerland anytime.” Chaerin scoffed while eyeing her engagement ring, Seri tilted her head at the girl and proceeded to ransack her friend’s purse. Chaerin always carried candies with her.

“So, what is it that leaves you so unsettled, Mrs. Chae Hyungwon?”

“That cousin of mine flew with his girlfriend.” She spat, Seri eyed her warily.

“May I remind you that, Shownu oppa is older than us and also, like us, he is free to do what he wants and date freely.”

“He can date freely.”

“Exactly.” Seri said as she popped a cherry candy in .

“Just not her.”

Seri shook her head at the girl.

“Why do you not like the Han girl? She’s actually nice, Chaerin-ah. I spoke to her the other time oppa invited her over for dinner.“

“I don’t…know.”

“What?” Seri hissed at her, Chaerin chuckled and got a piece of candy for herself.

“It’s…She has this vibe, you know. We don’t even know her, Oh Se. We don’t even know where she came from. She just randomly popped out like some rabbit at one of those arcade games.”

“Arcade games?” Seri muttered as she started arranging her things, with Chaerin in her office, it was a sure bet that she would get no work done.

“I mean, you know.”

“I really don’t get it. Or, do you really just want to antagonize your cousin’s girlfriend?”

The girl grew quiet, she was checking her fingernails.

“Chaerin-ah, at least be nice to her. You don’t have to like her. Yet.”

“The “yet” bothers me. If oppa marries her, then-”

“It’s still too early to talk about the “m” word.”

“I hope we never have to talk about it.” Chaerin made a face and crossed her arms.

“Please grow up, you’re about to be married soon.” Seri pleaded, Chaerin let out a laugh.

“My mother said the same thing.”

“I give up.”

 

 

 

Shownu stepped out of the hotel and glanced around, he found Soojin standing by a falafel stand, waiting for her food.

“I got hungry again. I’ve been having irregular meal times.” She said to him, Shownu shook his head at her. After their lunch, Jisoo had excused herself, her office had called, requesting that she take part in a video conference with some executives.

“That’s not good, Im Soo.” Shownu said, the girl got her food and she walked with him.

“I don’t care. Anyway,” She said as they crossed the street, Shownu had one palm pressed on her back as they moved amongst the crowd.

“I’m quite surprised.”

“Okay, spill it out now.” He said to her, wary, but Soojin glanced at him, offended.

“Did you just assume that I would say bad things? Wow, I’m hurt.”

“I know you better than I know myself, you brat.” Shownu pointed out, but he was smiling. Soojin scoffed in reply.

“I’m just surprised, I mean I like her. The Hans are great business partners.”

“I don’t see her like that, Im Soo.”

“I know, I just had to point it out. Like I said, I like her. But, I’m more surprised with you.” She said as they entered Harry Winston together.

“Why?”

“You’ve only been together for..eight months now, right? But, flying together?”

“I didn’t know you were a conservative when it came to things like this, Im Soo.”

Soojin rolled her eyes and looked around, she paused as a lady approached her.

“Do you want something? Your birthday is in a month.” Shownu started to look around, he saw the sales associated hand his friend a bag.

“No, I’m good. But going back,” Soojin said as she thanked the girl and took the bag.

“I’m sure your parents will start talking about this, and you two went alone.”

“It’s only been eight months.”

“Yes, and I also happen to know you well. Eight months…” She trailed off and scrunched her nose at him. Shownu blinked at her.

“I just want to know if you’re serious about her, because the moves we make will always be monitored, you’re aware of that, right?”

“And, you tend to be too giving, Hyunwoo-ah. And I’m not around to check on every girl who flirts with you while you can’t for the life of you, understand what’s going on.”

“Did you just call me…unfeeling?”

She let out a laugh and handed the bag to him.

“It’s for Ara, her birthday was last week, right? Tell her I say hi.”

Shownu nodded and they left the store, he nudged his friend. Soojin paused and looked at him.

“Why?”

“I kinda miss having you nose around my life. When will this banker stint of yours end? Surely, Swiss Bank can let you go now.”

“Nope. I’m not letting go of them.” She shot back as they headed to the next shop.

“So, can I get you a birthday present?” He asked again, Soojin sighed at him, knowing he wouldn’t drop it.

“Fine. But let’s set a budget-”

“Okay, I’ll have it sent to your hotel later. See you.” Hyunwoo mused as he kissed the side of her head and headed off.

 

 

 

“So, what do you think?” Shownu spoke as they stepped out of the hotel, Jisoo glanced at him with a curious smile on her face.

“What are you talking about?”

“I know you had your reservations about meeting her, and I was worried you two wouldn’t get along.”

“Soojin? I was more worried she wont like me.”

“Soojin’s not like that.” She blurted out, the male chuckled and laced her fingers with his.

“She may be…a little..difficult sometimes, but she’s never like that. She actually likes you and warned me to be nice to you.”

Jisoo chuckled and leaned into his arm, the male smiled and kissed her cheek.

“I’ve always heard rumors about her back home, she…she’s quite popular among my friends, you know.”

“I hope it’s not the bad kind of popular.” Shownu mused as they crossed the street, the couple had decided to take a walk after having dinner.

“No. She’s, you know, she’s somewhat regarded as the standard. Smart, beautiful and successful. I was..intimidated, but watching her destroy that brownie earlier kind of changed things.” Jisoo mused.

“Don’t be fooled, that girl technically ran away from her family.” Shownu snorted, the car arrived and he opened the door for her.

“Do we have other plans tonight?” She asked as Shownu got in the vehicle as well, the male smiled as the car started to move forward.

“There’s this place a few blocks away, I spent a couple of summers when I was young there. I’d…like for you to see it.”

“Does the place have ice cream?” She whispered, her cheeks growing pink from the cold.

“It does have an ice cream parlor nearby.”

“Great, I’ll accompany you there.”

“Jisoo,”

“Hmmm,” She hummed back as she fiddled with the cuffs of his leather jacket.

“I think you had too much wine.” Shownu chuckled as the girl leaned back into the seat.

“I think so too. But, ice cream.” She raised one finger at him.

“Yes, ice cream.”

“Ice cream cures everything.” She murmured as she leaned on Shownu’s shoulder and watched sa the busy streets of downtown New York buzzed by.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++