014

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

“You’re sending him?” Soojin had to pause as as she spoke, the older male from the other line sighed.

Surely, you saw this coming? You two are the only Korean~”

“His Korean is bad. It’s so bad that even the ladies at the Asian mart avoid him.” She pointed out as she put the Audi sedan in park.

He’s there for work, Sammy. Just like you.

But unlike me,” She began as she slid down from the car with her phone wedged between her ear and shoulder.

My Korean is impeccable.” The Im girl said as she grabbed her stable bag and trudged towards the club’s entrance.

I don’t think that’s why you’re there, Samantha.” Mr. Schmid huffed, the girl grinned and waved at the concierge, two staff walked after and offered to take her items.

Anyway, fine. I’ll welcome the workmate here with open arms. I’ve close deals with Korea Energy, sir. I believe they will be sending someone over in a couple of weeks.

I know, I got your email. Good work, darling.

Soojin scoffed at his teasing tone and ended the call, she chucked her phone inside her denim jacket and looked on as the groom approached her with one of her family’s Thoroughbreds.

“It’s good to see you back, young miss.”

“Thanks, ahjussi. It’s been a while; I’m worried they’ve forgotten about me.” She mused as she carefully approached the stallion, the animal huffed slightly but leaned into her touch.

“He just retired last year, but I’m sure he’ll warm up again. He remembers you.” The male mused as he adjusted the reins for her. Soojin smiled and lifted one foot to the stirrup, and she was on top of the horse with ease.

“Maybe a light walk would be best, young miss? The weather calls for it.”

“Yes, thank you for reminding that I’m rusty.” Soojin muttered under her breath, but she was grinning.

“It’s a little noticeable.” He mused in return before stepping away, Soojin tugged on the reins and the animal started to move. The stallion maneuvered around the path with ease, Soojin looked on, distracted with the new changes in the polo club, not noticing the other visitors staring at her.

“It’s the Im girl, right?”

“She’s back? Wow.”

She leaned forward, her chin touching the horse’s mane.

“It’s weird being back.” She murmured as the horse trotted on, she let her helmet hang on her arm.

“I know I should be happy that I am, but somehow…I get this weird feeling, it’s…strange.” She puffed her cheeks, her eyes landed on the wooden pavilion a few meters ahead.

“That’s new. Perfect for weddings.” She mused to herself before sitting up straight and directed the animal to the nearby pond instead.

 

 

 

Baekho looked up from his phone as his cousin stepped in the room, he rolled his eyes as the other directors in the room stood up to greet the male.

“Please, sit down.” Shownu spoke, the other people in the room took their seats.

“We’re here to discuss the Samsung dealings, so far, we’ve managed to complete about thirty percent of the proceedings, but they seem to be….asking for more time, vice president.”

The male nodded, gesturing for them to continue speaking.

“And, we checked the schedule, we might have to adjust again.” Another lady spoke, Shownu leaned back on his seat, his forehead creasing slightly.

“Then, we should just cut them off. They’re taking too much time.” Baekho leaned on the desk, he felt eyes go to him.

“What do you think, vice president Son?” One of the directors turned to Shownu again, Baekho drummed his fingers on the table.

“Director Kang has a point, they’re taking too much time. And it’s costing us a lot. But, I don’t think it’s time to do that yet.”

Baekho’s brows rose but he looked at his hands. Typical of his cousin to never agree with him.

“Samsung has been with us for years, and even if we pull out now, we’re already in too deep. I think it’s better if we give them two more weeks, just that. If they fail to deliver by then, we must deliberate what to do with them next. How does that sound?”

The other directors were humming in agreement, Baekho exhaled and nodded back, uncaring.

“Next, we have to discuss the Loen Group proposal, what are your thoughts about, sir?”

Baekho leaned back on his seat as the meeting droned on, there really was no point in voicing out his opinions. Everyone wanted to listen to his cousin, and people followed him too. He was the family’s golden boy, YooMin Group’s favorite son.

He felt his mother’s gaze on him and he fastidiously ignored her glares. He felt the other people stand up, and followed suit, not really listening.

“Are you okay? You seem out of it.” He heard Shownu speak as they piled out of the conference room.

“It’s nothing, hyung.”

“About the Samsung~”

“Forget it, it’s not like I was right. Right?” Baekho met his gaze, the older male paused at his words.

“I didn’t mean that~”

“Come on, nephew. We all know your every move is calculated here, no need to appear diplomatic.” Baekho felt his mother’s hand on his arm, Shownu looked away before speaking.

“It’s not like that, auntie.”

“Really? Then, you always disagreeing with him is not a move? You basically embarrassed him infront of the board.” The lady replied, Baekho grimaced and pulled away from his mother.

“I wasn’t, auntie. I just~”

“Oppa, what’s going on?”

The three looked up just as Jisoo walked towards them, Baekho nodded at the girl in greeting, which she ignored.

“I don’t think you should be speaking to the company’s vice president that way.” Jisoo spoke as she eyed the woman warily, Mrs. Kang scoffed and looked at her.

“I don’t think you should be interfering in family matters.”

“This is the place of work, right? YooMin’s office? And you’re one of the directors, so, there shouldn’t be any sort of family matter occurring here. Don’t you think?”

Shownu pressed his lips together and gently tugged Jisoo to him.

“You got quite the mouth, girl. And he hasn’t even put a rock on you yet.” Mrs. Kang smirked at her, Jisoo rolled her eyes before smiling at her.

“Your son can’t even get a promotion here. So, I suggest you stop~”

“Auntie, Baekho-ya.” Another voice chimed in, Baekho smiled, relief lightening his face. Shownu let out breath as Soojin came in to view, she was dressed in her riding clothes, except for her shoes. The girl was wearing white leather sneakers instead of her boots.

“Noona,” Baekho grinned at her, Soojin chuckled and squeezed his arm before greeting Mrs. Kang.

“Soojin, dear, it’s good to see you.” Mrs. Kang smiled as the girl kissed her cheek.

“You look as youthful as ever, auntie. But, why is everyone talking here?” Soojin said with a confused smile, Shownu met her gaze, the girl was trying to diffuse the situation.

“Well, someone overstepped her boundaries today. How about you remind the outsider where her place is, dear? I’ll see you next time.” Mrs. Kang said with a flourish of her hand before leaving them, Soojin tilted her head and turned to Baekho.

“I’d invite you to lunch if I didn’t smell like horse piss.” She said to him, the tall male laughed and shook her head.

“I’d still go to lunch with you despite the horse…scents, noona.” Baekho joked back, Jisoo looked away, her forehead creasing.

“But, sadly, I have meeting, noona. I’ll see you around.” Soojin gave the male a wave as he walked towards the elevators.

“Thanks.” Shownu muttered to her, Soojin shrugged and glanced around the hallway.

“Your aunt is a real piece of work.” Jisoo stated, the male shook his head and gently steered her towards the elevators.

“I didn’t know you were coming over, did you call?” He said as he reached for his phone in his coat pocket, Soojin exhaled as she looked at the two from the back.

“I didn’t, I was just dropping by to tell you that I’d be out of town for the weekend.” Jisoo said as Shownu pressed the button, Soojin smiled as the girl turned to face her.

“Oh, is it for the conference?”

“Yes, two days in Busan, and another day in Jeju.” Jisoo made a face at her, he nodded back and turned to Soojin.

“I’ll go say hi to uncle, and probably shower or something.” She said as she dusted her pant, Jisoo paused, noticing the beaten-up Birkin she was holding.

“Shower?” The girl repeated.

“I keep a set of clothes here. Or…a few sets. Anyway, it’s nice seeing you, Jisoo. Have a safe trip.” Soojin stated, Shownu caught the girl’s eyes again before she left the couple.

“She can shower here?” Jisoo asked as they got in the machine.

“Yes. Do you want to grab something to eat?”

“N—No, I just wanted to say hi before I leave for tomorrow.” Jisoo stated as the doors closed, the male nodded in reply. The whole ride down to the lobby was quiet and Jisoo chewed on the insides of her cheek.

“Oppa, about earlier, with your aunt and cousin, I..I don’t like how they treat you. And, to be honest, Soojin shouldn’t have stepped in. They were being too much.” She softly said, Shownu looked at her and nodded.

“It’s alright, we don’t have to talk about it.” He said with a measure smile as he kissed the side of her head.

 

 

 

Changkyun was smiling as he walked into his girlfriend’s office, and then he paused, noticing Chaerin seated on one of the couches.

“Noona,”

“Don’t give me that look. I wanted to talk to your sister, but she was out riding.” She said to him, Haeyoung looked up from coloring book and beamed at him.

“I figured that, noona did say she’d start training again. What brings you here?” He asked as he walked over to Ara, he took one of her hands in his and kissed her palm.

“We made plans to eat and maybe do some shopping. Are you up for it?” Ara answered for the older girl, Chaerin grinned at the couple.

“Ah, this feels like a trap.” Changkyun nodded to himself.

“Well, you’re already here, so, you’re coming with us.” Ara smiled as she stood up and picked up her coat, Haeyoung glanced at Changkyun before blowing him a kiss.

“Be strong, uncle.” She called out, he chuckled and sauntered over to her, he sat down next to the girl.

“But, noona did say she’d drop by Shownu hyung’s office. I think they made plans this afternoon.” He commented, the two women nodded, then Chaerin’s phone started ringing.

“It’s her.” She said as she tapped on the green icon and put it on speaker.

“Hello, sweetie.”

“Hey, I…I think I just witnessed something that I shouldn’t have.” Soojin quickly said, Chaerin tilted her head.

“Did somebody get…shot?”

“No. Jisoo…Jisoo was talking back at Baekho’s mother.” Soojin spoke, Changkyun and Ara turned towards the phone.

“Talking back..how?” Chaerin blinked at the device, confused.

“Something about…work and, I don’t know, does she not know? About the whole Baekho and Hyunwoo thing?”

“She knows.” Chaerin snorted and crossed her legs.

“Really? I was just worried that…I don’t know. I don’t want to overthink about it, it’s not my problem.”

“Trust me, if it involves my cousin, then it is your problem.” Chaerin chuckled as she examined her nails.

“But, why are you there if you came from the club? You must smell bad, sweetie.”

“Hyunwoo made plans, I decided to go straight here to shower.”

“You went there to shower while his girlfriend was there.” Chaerin repated, her forehead creasing. Changkyun grimaced and looked away, while Ara fixed her hair using her computer’s camera.

“Why? I can’t do that? Going back to the hotel would have cost me another thirty minutes. And, my vintage Chanel suit’s here.”

“Soojin-ah, the girl~ You know what, nevermind. I’m glad you’re fresh and showered.”

“Thanks. I just hope Jisoo doesn’t get in trouble with Baekho’s mother.” She murmured, Chaerin rolled her eyes so hard that Ara smiled.

“She interfered, she’s already in trouble.”

“Stop being mean to her, she’s actually nice.” Soojin replied souding distracted.

“You just said that she was being rude to his aunt.” Chaerin pointed out, Changkyun stood up with Haeyoung in his arms.

“Whatever, Seri arranged dinner.”

“Yes, see you there.”

The line went dead, Changkyun was shaking his head to himself.

“This is what I wanted to talk about with her, noona tends to act like nothing’s changed.”

“What do you mean?” Ara asked the male as she righted her coat, Chaerin stood up and got her purse.

“Hyung has a girlfriend now, and they seem serious and going steady. I don’t think my sister should go around taking showers at his workplace, or randomly popping in his office.”

“Good point. But they’ve always been like that.” Chaerin shrugged as they stepped out of the office.

“I don’t really see why it’d be an issue. Or it’s probably because I’m used to them already.” Ara continued as they approached the elevators.

“Probably the latter, I just don’t want any trouble for my sister.”

“But, Changkyun-ah, when has trouble even come for your sister? You think Son Hyunwoo would allow that?” Chaerin chuckled as they got in the machine.

 

 

 

“Really, thank you for doing this. But, you don’t have to.” Soojin said as they walked through the double glass doors, the store’s attendants were all smiling at them.

“The manager will be down shortly, sir.”

Hyunwoo nodded and thanked the man, Soojin’s eyes wandered around the display. She walked towards the precious stones display, her eyes landing on a stumming garnet piece.

“Well, we’re here for me. But, tell me if something caught your eye.” He spoke as he stood beside her, Soojin made a face and turned to him.

“You’re buying jewelry, for you? Are you…Did you eat something wrong?” She blinked at him, her friend was not the type to sport any jewelry. He was a watch guy.

“Sir, the room’s ready.”

“Look around, join me when you’re done.” Hyunwoo patted her elbow, the girl nodded back and waved him off. Soojin continued to roam around, enjoying the jewelry store herself. Her eyes landed on a pair of diamond earrings.

“It has a matching necklace, miss Im. Would you like to see it?”

“Yes. But, can I try the earrings on first?” She asked as she looked at the emerald cut pair, the lady nodded and immediately took them out. Soojin smiled and she tied her hair up and started putting them out.

“How many carats? What about the clarity~”

“Im Soo?”

She turned her head, and saw her friend standing by the doorway. Soojin pursed her lips before speaking.

“I was starting to really enjoy my time here. Just go on with your stuff.” She said, Hyunwoo exhaled before turnig his gaze to the sales associate.

“Can you put that in my tab? She can wear it around, yes?” He asked, the lady nodded back.

“Yes, of course, sir.”

Soojin sighed, unfazed. She padded after her friend with her new earrings, Hyunwoo held the door for her and her eyes immediately landed on the table. She halted, suddenly realizing why they were at a shop like this.

“I’d like you to look. I need your honest opinion, and please be nice.” He said as he pulled a chair for her, the manager stood up to greet her.

“It’s good to see you again, miss Im. Your father was here last year, he was with his bride.”

“Oh, please don’t destroy the mood.” Soojin said with a pleasant smile as she shook his offered hand, the girl sat down beside Hyunwoo and looked at the tray laden with different rings before her.

“I’ve been thinking about what ring to get when the time comes, and I’ve narrowed it down to these.” He said as he looked at the rings before them, Soojin smiled and elbowed him.

“Oh my god, I was not expecting this.” She leaned back on the seat and studied the seven diamond rings before her.

“What do you think?”

“Show me your favorites.” Soojin said as the manager listened in, letting the two move the rings around.

“Young miss, the necklace.” The sales assistant from earlier arrived, the manager paused, stunned. The piece of jewelry was placed before them, Hyunwoo tilted his head and picked it up from the box.

“It comes with the earrings; I’ll pay for it.” Soojin reached for her purse to get her checkbook, but the male grunted and shook his head.

“I’ll take care of it, help me out with this first.” Hyunwoo said as he gestured for her to turn her back to him. Soojin smiled to herself and let him put the necklace on her, she faced him again.

“Well?”

“It suits you. Now, help me.” He touched her chin briefly before facing the tray again, the manager looked away, now very confused.

“This one..seems to scream Jisoo?” She said as she pointed towards the five-point two carat piece.

“But, this one’s pretty too. Elegant.” Soojin leaned over to pick up another ring, Hyunwoo nodded along and took the two.

“But, Hyunwoo-ah, when are you…planning to ask her?” She asked him as he pointed toward the five carat rock, the manager nodded and called for other staff. The ring was packed and packaged discreetly, the store manager and staff quietly left.

“Hmm, maybe in two weeks? I think I found the perfect place for it.” Hyunwoo said to her, Soojin exhaled and she sniffled.

“Really?” He grimaced as he saw her eyes go moisten.

“I’m just really happy for you, Son Hyunwoo.” She blurted out before leaning over to wrap her arms around his neck.

“Thank you, Butterscotch.”

“Thanks for the diamonds too.” She added quietly, feeling sheepish that she had chosen jewelry for herself before Hyunwoo could decide on a ring for Jisoo.

“That was my bribe. Don’t tell anyone yet.”

“Crap, should have gotten the bigger ones.” She sighed, Hyunwoo snorted and patted her back before letting go.

“Now, for the highlight of our day. Lunch.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++