007

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

“Will she be staying for long?” Ara spoke, Seri followed her gaze and crossed her legs.

“I hope she will. It’s been a while since she was in town.” The older girl said, the two Im siblings were speaking with some of the event’s benefactors, Shownu was also with them.

“It’s your first time seeing unnie in Korea, right Jisoo unnie?” Ara said, the girl nodded back and smiled.

“I met her in New York years back, and that was it.”

Chaerin and Hyungwon had left their table to chat with some friends, Ara nodded along.

“Actually, Shownu oppa and the Ims grew up together, that’s why everyone here kind of groups them together.” Seri supplied as she jutted her lips at the three, Changkyun was nodding along as the elders spoke to them, while Soojin was speaking with Shownu in hushed tones.

“They’ve known each other since they were kids, well, the rest of us included, but those two go way back.”

“Two?”

“Yeah, Soojin unnie and Shownu oppa have been friends since they were in diaper days. That’s why they kind of hate each other already.” Ara jokingly said, Jisoo followed their gaze and smiled.

“That’s cute. Friendships like that are rare nowadays.” She said, Seri looked at the girl, her brows and she hummed in agreement.

“True.” The lawyer leaned back on her seat.

“Does that make sense? He wants me to come meet with his son?” They could hear Soojin speaking, Changkyun was grinning behind the two.

“Maybe he wants an in with Swiss Bank.” Shownu mused at her, Soojin slapped his arm, appalled.

“Just come up with something when they call, Soo.” He said as he pulled the chair for her.

“Did Chairman Gong already ask for your hand in marriage, darling?” Chaerin joined them again, Hyungwon took his seat.

“Oh yes, it took him twelve minutes this time, noona.” Changkyun joked along, Soojin plopped down and shook her head at them.

“Chairman Gong?” Jisoo said to Shownu as he sat down.

“Well, it’s kind of an ongoing inside joke, the chairman has been trying to set up one of his younger grandsons with Im Soo.” Shownu said with a small laugh.

“The Samsung chairman? Wow.” Jisoo mused, Chaerin made a face at her statement and Soojin caught that. Her eyes immediately went to Seri.

“What was that?” She mouthed.

“She hates her.” Seri mouthed back, Soojin grimaced and picked up her drink.

“Noona, are you moving out of the hotel? I already know you’re home.” Changkyun said, Shownu’s eyes went to the girl.

“Give me a few days, does appa still stay there?”

“Yes.”

“Then, after the wedding?” Her forehead creased, before Changkyun could reply.

“Hey, you two can discuss that later. The match is about to start.” Shownu carefully said, he caught Soojin’s frown, but the girl turned away.

 

 

 

“So, what’s really the plan, miss Im?” Chaerin said, the three girls were at a private cabana now, enjoying some late afternoon snacks.

“I was sent to meet up with three potential clients. I already met one of them.”

“Oh, for how long will you be here?”

“Four months max, I think. But, seeing as to how I was asked to open a small office here for work stuff and all, I think maybe over a year. I have no idea what’s going on in their heads.” She continued as she finished her margarita.

“But that’s good, Soojin-ah. You haven’t been home in a while.” Seri nodded along.

“She’s right, help me get rid of her.” Chaerin added and took another canape.

“So, you hate her.” Soojin turned to Mrs. Chae, the latter nodded as she chewed.

“Yes, we hate her.”

“No, I don’t. We don’t.” Seri chuckled as she relaxed on her seat.

“But, why? I met her before, she was nice and, a good talker. And she seems to understand Hyunwoo really well.” Soojin glanced over her shoulder to where Shownu was showing Jisoo around the club.

“Her explanation is going to amuse you, Im Soojin.” Seri mused.

“I just don’t like her. There’s something about her…vibe.”

“Her vibe?” Soojin repeated, Chaerin gave her a one-shouldered shrug.

“You..You have always been his biggest block.” Soojin stated, Chaerin scoffed.

“No, it’s you. Girls don’t like you around him. Not me, I’m the sweet cousin.” Chaerin pointed out.

“Sweet?” Seri echoed.

“Hey, I’ve never openly called one of his girlfriends Squidward to her face. And, that girl from college, you made her cry because you thought her hair was like Paige’s bed.”

Paige was Chaerin’s pet hamster, and she had a bed made of wood chips.

“Well, someone has to tell the truth. You’re always so nice to them even though it’s pretty obvious that they’re just using him~”

“What are you two fighting about? One of you just got back.” Shownu walked towards them, Seri hid her grin behind her glass and looked away. Shownu sat down beside Soojin and raised his brows at him.

“We were talking about Squidward and Paige, oppa.” Chaerin told her cousin.

“What?”

“Spongebob’s friend, and her deceased pet hamster.” Soojin quickly supplied, glaring at her friend.

“Anyway, since, we’re complete now,” Shownu begun, Hyungwon joined them and sat by his wife.

“How about a dinner? It’s been a while since we had Soojin back.” He said wrapping one arm around the girl’s shoulder.

“We’ll be hosting then.” Hyungwon volunteered, Chaerin beamed and nodded.

“Sounds great, oppa. Let’s have barbeque and, what was that thing you like so much?” Seri said turned to their friend.

“Lamb skewers, Soojin loves those. So, is the next weekend good?”

“Yeah, I don’t really have much to do on weekends now. I’ll ask our chef to prepare something.” Soojin said.

“It’s a deal then, it’s good to have you back, miss Im. Please don’t get into too much any trouble while you’re here.” Hyungwon teasingly said, Soojin discreetly gave him the finger. Chaerin and Seri laughed, while Shownu swatted her hand away.

“Welcome back, Im Soo.” He stated before kissing the side of her head.

 

 

 

“Hey, did you know?”

Jisoo looked up, she was speaking with her old college classmates who were also at the event.

“What?”

“About Im Soojin being back.” Her friend, Shinhye spoke, her eyes were all the way across the manicured gardens, to where the cabanas were. It was kind of an exclusive members only area in the club.

“No. She just appeared.” Jisoo nodded along.

“Wow, I never really expected to see here today. It’s been years. The mothers will grow crazy again.” The other girl, Minah said with a small smile.

“The mothers?” Jisoo picked up her mango pineapple smoothie.

“Well, I don’t know if you’re aware but Soojin’s kind of…popular around the circle. Most parents would love to have her as a daughter-in-law, not only is she one of the two KangSan heirs, but also, look at her.” Shinhye said, Jisoo followed her gaze. The friends were still talking, it looked like Chaerin and Soojin were playfully arguing over something.

“She’s got the looks, the brains plus the background. And, she’s always been admired for leaving the country to work for the Swiss Bank. Well, to put it simply, she’s quite the catch.” Minah added and crossed her legs.

“Actually, growing up, I remember hating on her. You see, every girl had this puppy love crush on your boyfriend, you know.” Minah continued, Jisoo started laughing.

“What?”

“She’s right. I had a crush on him on second grade, and he’s like…I think he was in fifth grade by then.” Shinhye was laughing now.

“Because, those two have always been really close, you know? Although, you have nothing to worry about. That’s what they’ll always be, friends. But, my kid brain didn’t get that yet, and thought that Soojin was keeping handsome Son Hyunwoo all to herself.”

Jisoo started to shake her head, amused.

“Well, please don’t hate me now. I didn’t really mean to date him.” She said, the two girls groaned at her words.

“We were kids!”

“It’s just funny that you hated on her.”

“I know, but, there was this thing before, I’m not sure if it’s true but, their families kind of banned them from being together. Like, they’re not allowed to date each other.”

“That’s…weird.” Jisoo said, Minah nodded.

“I know, but, people talk and come up with the weirdest things. To be honest, they have the best friendship, Soojin, Seri and Chaerin. Shownu’s like their legal guardian or something.” Shinhye chuckled, Jisoo grinned, she looked up just saw Soojin and Shownu left the cabana. The girl met her gaze and was smiling at her.

“Jisoo-ssi!” Soojin walked over to them, she greeted the other two ladies with warmth.

“Just so you know, you can say no.” Shownu said intervened, Soojin made a face at him.

“What do you think about clubbing tonight? My treat. Shinhye and Minah too, come join us. ” Soojin announced as she sat down with them.

“I’m game.” Minah raised a thumb at her.

“You don’t even have your card~”

“Shut up, Son Hyunwoo.” She shushed him, Shownu chuckled and left them to get some drinks.

“Sure, that sounds exciting, and please, just call me Jisoo.”

“That’s all set then, see you later.” Soojin said, she stood up and headed for the pavilion, her brother was already waiting for her there.

 

 

 

“What about Ara?” Soojin spoke to her brother as they approached the white G Wagon, the younger Im had asked his secretary to drive his car back downtown.

“We went separately, noona.”

“Then, shall I drop you off at home? Or~”

“Noona, about the wedding,” Changkyun began, he noticed how the girl paused and she puffed her cheeks.

“I can’t say I’m not annoyed that you didn’t tell me, surely you had an idea, but I guess it’s kind of on me, huh? For leaving and not replying to messages.” Soojin continued in English, Changkyun frowned at her before speaking.

“No, I just…I wanted to tell you, but I didn’t know how to. I was worried you’d~”

“Lash out? Eomma was the one who messed up, why would I take it on appa and her tight -ed girlfriend.”

He grimaced at her words, but the girl was smiling.

It’s not a big deal, really. I’m not a fan of dad’s choice to marry now, but it’s his life. Let us let him live it, as long everything’s fine.

“What about you? Are you still going to work with the bank? You’re home now.” Changkyun returned to Korean, the girl ran her fingers through her hair before speaking.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to work here, Changkyun-ah. Besides, I’m enjoying life right now.”

“What about me? You left me here. Alone.” He pouted at her, Soojin made a face at him.

“We all know the board prefers you over me, baby Im.” She cooed in reply.

Changkyun open the door for her, Ara was waving at them. Soojin blew her a kiss, Changkyun smiled at the interaction. His sister and girlfriend getting along really was a blessing.

“Are they making you work alone?” He asked as he backed the car from the lot.

“No, I have a colleague coming in a couple of weeks.” Soojin replied while checking her reflection.

“It’s really good to have you in town, noona. Although, going to Shownu hyung first may not be the most ideal thing to do.”

“Why? I needed to settle things first before~”

“I know, but hyung has a girlfriend.”

“So?” His sister replied, impatient. Changyun exhaled and opted to give her a shrug instead.

“Nothing, I’m just saying, noona.”

“Anyway, I’m sure our father has already heard of my being back. So, please tell him not to call me yet.”

“Are you going to his wedding?” That brought a grin to his face, the girl scoffed before speaking.

“Why? Was I invited?”

“You could come as Seri noona’s plus one.” He chuckled in reply.

“I’ll give her a call later, thank you for the suggestion, brother.”

Changkyun winked at her before stepping on the gas.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++