010

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

Changkyun looked up from his phone as his secretary served Soojin her coffee.

“I’m thinking of riding again. I need practice, you know.” Soojin said as she leaned back on the sofa, cradling the mug in her palms.

“That’s great, noona. Do you want me to call the club for you?”

“No, I should go there myself to settle things.” Soojin continued with a yawn, Changkyung glanced at his sister.

“Are things with your office coming along okay, noona?” He pulled away from his desk and took the seat across hers.

“Yes, I’m just waiting for some approvals from the main office, and I’m good to go.”

“What about those companies you need to meet?”

“Oh, about that,” Soojin finished her cup and shook off her heels, the eldest of the Im siblings was clad in her usual office get up, a matching Prada work suit that fit her frame perfectly.

“I met up with Korea Energy’s chairman for lunch earlier, it was..nice. He was interested in joining us, but then I need his other bank statements for that. He seemed wary when I asked.”

“Oh, I did hear..murmurs about them.” Changkyun nodded along, pouring himself a cup of tea.

“Well, now, I wait. And, try to grasp back how to live here. Again.”

“Appa wants to go out to dinner.”

“I got his message.” Soojin rolled his eyes, Changkyun sent her a pleading look as he loosened his tie.

“I already said yes, but on one condition.”

“Please be the mature person. No, please be the bigger person here, noona.”

The girl chuckled before picking up a praline from the coffee table.

“I only asked for Ara to be there too. And I can’t be the bigger person, I’m only five three.” She pointed out as she stretched her legs.

“Before you say something, or something in the line of the dinner being a family thing, Ara is like my family to me. I don’t know about you, but she’s…permanent to me.”

“I am your family too.” Changkyun made a face at her, but he was smiling.

“Like I said, I don’t care if you’re coming or not.”

“Noona!” He whined, the girl let out a hearty laugh before speaking.

“Please don’t break up, okay? Or else I’ll hunt you down.”

“I’m..your brother, noona. You’re supposed to be on my side.” He muttered under his breath, as the doors opened. A smiling Ara walked in, carrying a box of cronuts from Soojin’s favorite café. The older girl’s eyes practically lit up as soon as she saw both the girl and the cerulean blue box in her hands.

“See? This is why I love her more!” Soojin stood up and made a beeline for the girl, Ara paused, confused. Soojin reached her and took the box.

“I had a feeling you’d be craving for them, unnie. I got them just this morning.”

“I know, you’re the best. Please marry into the family, alright?” She winked as she gathered her purse and coat.

“Are you leaving, noona?” Changkyun stood up, he greeted Ara with a quick kiss on the cheek before following his sister.

“Yes, I still need to shop for clothes. Grandma Son’s birthday, remember? She has a theme this year.”

“She has?” Changkyun blinked at her, then at Ara.

“She has.” Ara mused just as Soojin closed the door behind her, Changkyun nodded to himself before gesturing for her to sit.

“Unnie seems…happy to be back.”

“She might not say it, but I know she is.” The youngest Im mused as he took his phone from the table.

“It’s pretty exciting seeing her, Haerin unnie and Seri unnie together again. It reminds me of high school and college.” She continued, amused.

“You mean, Shownu hyung’s three problems?”

Ara chuckled and shook her head.

“Shownu’s girls. That’s what those mean…students called them. Shownu oppa’s admirers hated them to their core, especially your sister.”

“I know, noona used to enjoy taunting them. The spoiled brat.”

“And whose fault is that? That oppa never says no to her.” Ara chuckled as she picked up a praline for herself.

“True.”

“But, I have a feeling there’s someone who’s not happy that she’s back.” Ara commented, Changkyun turned his eyes to her.

“Your father’s fiancé. I want to feel bad for her. However, I am on your sister’s side.” She grinned at him before brushing the bits of chocolate from the side of his lip.

“I don’t even know what side she’s on. Did she tell you?”

“No, I’m just waiting for her next move.” She mused back, Changkyun chuckled in reply.

 

 

 

“Hi!” Jisoo said as she walked towards the waiting male, Shownu smiled back and opened one arm to her.

“I’m sorry I had to move our lunch; it got a little hectic at the office.” He replied as he kissed the side of her head.

“Your cousin giving you a hard time again?” She asked dryly, Shownu only smiled in reply and opened the car’s door for her.

“To make it up to you, I made a reservation at your favorite restaurant.”

“The Japanese one? But they have two month long waiting list.” Jisoo balked at him, Shownu smiled and just gestured for her to get in the vehicle. The girl shook her head at him and slid inside the Porsche, she watched as Shownu walked around the car.

“How was work? I heard about the shift in the world price.” Shownu began as he drove away from the building.

“Yes, I’m thinking it’s because of the ongoing issues with those two countries. Abeoji’s losing it over the whole thing, I try to focus on the brighter side of things.”

“It will work out. I hope the chairman is feeling better now.” Shownu said, he had met with his girlfriend’s parents just a few weeks ago.

“He is, I’ll tell him you said hi.”

Shownu hummed in reply as they left the compound, Jisoo glanced at him before speaking.

“So, about your grandmother’s party…Should I be prepared for anything? I saw in the invite that she has a theme.”

A warm smile appeared on his lips before speaking.

“You have nothing to be prepared for. And, halmae really did decide on a theme this year, I’ve been advised to follow it. Do you have something in mind?”

“I went shopping with the girls yesterday. And I heard stories.”

“Good ones, I hope.” Shownu smiled and took her hand in his free one.

“Actually, they’re just scary ones. Your grandmother…seems to be quite the character? Now, I’m just nervous, not scared.” She mumbled to herself, Shownu chuckled, he was about to speak when a familiar tone played around them. Jisoo’s eyes went to the car’s infotainment screen.

IM SOO

“It’s Soojin.” She said, Shownu pressed one of the buttons on the wheel before speaking.

“Yes, Im Soojin?”

“Hyunwoo,” The girl’s voice echoed around them, Jisoo smiled at the girl’s voice. It was quiet for a few seconds before Shownu spoke again.

“Hey, I’m here. What’s up?”

“Hyunwoo, I need three mill.” She sounded preoccupied, and there were people talking in the background from her side.

“Alright.”

“Can you send it now? I need a few things, and a car. I already made an appointment with the bank, but it’s tomorrow. And I need things done now.”

“Okay.”

“Can you send it now?”

“You can send it to you.” Shownu replied with ease as he switched lanes, Jisoo looked at the screen then at her boyfriend.

“Okay, I’ll send a check over to your office tomorrow, cool?”

“Just deposit it anytime, no need for the check. Do you need help with the car? I can send someone over.” Shownu replied.

“No, Hyunwoo. I’ll send it to me now. You’ll probably receive a text or something.”

“Okay. I’ll see you at the party.”

“Yes. Sending the three mill now.”

The line went dead, Shownu ended the call and music resumed playing. Jisoo pressed her lips together and tilted her head.

“She needed three million?”

“Yes, I think she’s finally realized she needs more than just furniture for her to set her office.”

“Is it in Korean Won or US Dollars?” Jisoo blinked, confused. Shownu glanced at her briefly.

“I don’t really know. Probably in dollars?”

“Three million?” Jisoo mouthed to herself.

“How will she send it to her?” She continued, Shownu smiled at her.

“She manages some of my international accounts. And I manage her local ones here.” He replied with ease as the car pulled to a slow halt, Jisoo looked around, they were at a traffic light.

“Oh.” She blurted out, Shownu glanced at her.

“Sorry, I had to take her call. It’s been a while since she got back. And she was rushed to fly back.”

“No, it’s fine. But, wow, three million.”

Shownu simply nodded back, he stepped on the gas as the light turned green.

“Oh, right, the girls mentioned we’re having brunch tomorrow. Please come.” He said to her, Jisoo nodded along.

“I’ll be there.”

 

 

 

“Okay, I’m taking care of the pasta. You, the bread.” Haerin said as Seri tied her hair up. Soojin was bobbing her head to music as she sliced the vegetables on the counter.

“I think we bought too much.” Seri commented as she started making the dough. Haerin was already swaying her body, following the beats of the music in the background.

“But, we eat too much,” Soojin hollered from the counter, Haerin raised a thumb at her, the girl was in the middle of preparing the mimosa.

“Does he even know we’re here?” Seri asked as rubbed her nose, flour streaking across her cheek.

“I don’t know. Who cares?” Haerin chuckled as she grabbed a few pots and started checking the recipe on her phone. The three were dressed casually, Seri was in a periwinkle wrap dress with a pair of ballet flats. Haerin had an oversized printed shirt on matched with denim mom shorts.

“Exactly.” Soojin chuckled as she dumped more spices into the pot, she oversaw making of the sauce, the girl was dressed simply, a striped crop top and wide leg jeans.

“Should I prepare three types of bread? What does oppa like again?” Seri queried as she checked the oven, Haerin and Soojin started dancing around, the lawyer chuckled and looked at the two.

“He eats everything. I think we should check if Jisoo has allergies?” Soojin called out as Haerin spun her around, the latter rolled her eyes.

“How about we find out?”

“What?” Seri sighed at her, Haerin chuckled.

“Toss in a few shrimp there, or some pine nuts on the salad.”

“Hey!” Soojin slapped her arm, the girl snorted again before returning to the bowls, she was checking the water was boiling.

“Don’t be mean. I mean, stop it.” Soojin called out as she began slicing the tomatoes.

“I don’t have to be nice~”

“Hello, welcome to my house. I’m glad you girls showed yourselves in.” Another voice joined them, three heads turned to him as Shownu lowered the music’s volume.

“I thought we were going to have catering?” He asked as he ran his fingers through his hair.

“No, we decided to cook, for a change.” Soojin was the one who spoke first, she walked around the counter and began pouring him coffee.

“Good morning, cousin!” Haerin greeted him and she pulled the older male to join her dancing, Shownu sighed and gave in, helping her turn.

“I thought you guys were having a rave party.” Hyungwon walked in, he was carrying two shopping bags with him.

“What’s that?” Seri asked as he placed the bags on the counter, the girl peeked at them.

“More champagne. For the mimosas.” Haerin chuckled and clasped her hands together, Soojin walked towards the older male with his coffee.

“I thought you knew we were using your place.”

“I know. I didn’t expect you guys were cooking. Good morning.” He murmured distractedly before giving her a one-armed hug.

“You should go shower; we’ll clean up here.” Soojin said as she tried to tame his wild bed hair, Hyungwon was chatting with Seri as he prepared another round of drinks.

“What are you guys making?” Hyungwon said as he sauntered over the other counter, he smiled as he saw the pasta.

“I think I can make those tiny pizzas. Changkyun and Ara are coming too, right?” Seri asked, Soojin nodded back as she dumped the tomatoes into the pot.

“How did the meeting go, Soo?” He asked, Soojin rolled her eyes.

“Not so good, the guy, the Ahn~”

The doorbell rung, Seri looked at Soojin then at Haerin.

“Changkyun and Ara will be here in an hour. That’s not that them.” Soojin supplied, Seri shrugged.

“Must be from work? I heard Samsung’s been begging at their knees again.” Haerin chuckled as she popped an olive into .

“I’ll get it.”

 

 

 

Jisoo slid down from her Audi coupe and glanced at Shownu’s front curb, there were already a couple of vehicles parked. Her brows, she didn’t know that they were brunching early. She had wanted to arrive ahead of everyone else.

Jisoo walked towards the door, her eyes studied the cars before her. Some of them looked familiar, she wasn’t sure what models they were. But she was certain that none of them were common cars.

She was about to ring the doorbell when a white Bentley rolled in the property, her brows rose in curiosity as the car halted. The front door opened, but the passenger had already left the car and was currently making a run for the gardens. Jisoo watched as the little girl jogged towards the back of the house.

“Young miss!” The lady spoke as she chased after the girl, Jisoo blinked to herself.

“Does he have a niece?” She murmured as she pressed the doorbell, she heard the soft chimes from the inside. She heard the Bentley roll away and park beside the Ferrari.

The doors opened and she turned her head, Soojin’s smiling face greeted her.

“Hi, you’re early.” The girl said as she opened the door widely, Jisoo nodded back.

“Yes, I…I had nothing to do at home, I decided to leave earlier. Am…I disturbing?” Jisoo blurted, now she was confused why she said that last sentence. But, Soojin laughed it off and pulled her into the house.

“Of course, not. We’re the one disturbing.” She said, Jisoo could hear the music playing from the kitchen.

“You’re cooking?”

“Not just me, Seri’s here. Haerin’s the one assigned to make the pasta. I’m on sauce duty.” Soojin continued, Jisoo noticed that the girl was walking barefoot.

“Oh, I can get you slippers. They’re at the~”

“I know where they are. But Hyunwoo has heated floors.” Soojin took her by the arm, Jisoo slowly nodded back and followed her.

“Jisoo’s here.” She announced, Seri and Hyungwon waved at her, but Haerin was staring the glass doors and they slid open.

“Eomma, appa!” The toddler from earlier blurted out.

“Oh my god, it’s my favorite daughter!” Soojin said as she ran over to the girl, the child giggled as she was lifted and peppered with kisses.

“I missed you so much. You make me regret ever deciding to work overseas.” She crooned, Seri rolled her eyes and continued kneading the dough.

Shownu walked in, his eyes were on the two.

“Good morning, little girl.” He greeted as he approached them and kissed the child’s cheek. The girl simply stretched her arms to him. Seri paused from her kneading, she looked up and studied Jisoo’s weighted gaze.

“Is it her first time meeting her?” Jisoo muttered to Hyungwon.

“I think so?”

“Oh.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

*wink wink