017

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

“Okay, so you want me to take the telco one? But haven’t you already met them?”

Soojin looked up from the kitchen counter, Kai was pacing around the suite, the male didn’t unpack properly last night and now he was rummaging through his luggage.

“Yes. I have to meet MinSung Hospitals in a few days.”

“Huh? I can just take MinSung, you’ve already created rapport with~”

“No, you should take the Ceylon account, I..I didn’t know my friend was seeing the son, I just..dont want any complications, you know.” She fibbed, Kai reappeared, still in his sweatpants. But he has holding onto a pair of dark slacks and a coat.

“Okay, you take the hospital people.” He mused as he walked to the fridge.

“I’m moving out today, so feel free to use all rooms.”

The male scoffed and started to grab some cereal, Soojin drummed her fingers on the table as she checked her emails, Jongin was about to speak again when the doors opened.

“Hi, so, I know I should have called, but I~” Seri halted when she noticed the topless man standing by the fridge, Soojin followed her gaze and she grimaced.

“Am…Am I interrupting something?”

“Yes, breakfast.” The male smirked at her, Seri’s brows went up.

“Good morning, Soojin’s beautiful friend.” He crooned at her, Soojin saw how the girl’s forehead creased as she struggled to hide her disdain.

“No, this is my colleague.”

“Work husband.” He corrected, Soojin sent him a look before continuing.

“He got in last night, and…he’s setting up camp here, I leave in a few minutes for the house.” Soojin started as she walked towards her friend; Seri slowly nodded back.

“Jongin-ah, this is Oh Seri, a good friend of mine. Seri, this is Kim Jongin, my work…husband.” She sighed when Jongin gave Seri a wink before stretching his hand to her. Seri pressed her lips together before shaking his hand, the male picked up his cereal.

“I’ll see you at work later. I might need two more cups of coffee.” Kai gave them both a wave before disappearing to his room.

“You’re friends with…guys like that?” Seri blinked at her, Soojin chuckled before taking the girl’s arm and guiding her towards the living room area.

“Dinner went well, right?”

“It did, Chaerin got along with Bohyun.” Soojin nodded along, keeping her expression neutral.

“Wait, is that why you’re here? You’re worried over that? Oh Seri!” The Im girl sighed at Seri, the latter rolled her eyes and leaned back on the couch.

“I just..I don’t know, you’ve seen how she is with Jisoo.”

Soojin nodded along and crossed her legs.

“Yeah, but you know her, Chaerin..will always be Chaerin.” Soojin continued, Jongin reappeared from his room again.

“What is it now?”

Seri eyed him warily before taking out her phone.

“Do you think you could give me a tour before we officially start working? Your friend should join us too,” He strolled over to them, the male was already dressed in a casual suit, he had a cream-colored turtleneck inside his coat.

“You’re Korean, but you need a tour.” Seri said to him, Soojin grinned, she had a feeling that the two would not get along well.

“I haven’t been here in ten years.”

“But, isn’t this home?”

“No. Not really. Although, I might make it~”

“Kim Jongin, I’ll see you later. Behave.” Soojin interferred, she stood up and grabbed her purse, Kai blew them both a kiss as they left.

“Wow, what a pain.” Seri mumbled as they walked towards the elevators, Soojin could only laugh at her statement.

 

 

 

“I thought it was a busy week,” Shinhye said as she joined her friends at their table, Minah jutted her lips at Jisoo.

“Did something happen?” The newcomer spoke, Jisoo pursed her lips as she set her tea down.

“Not..really. I just, I don’t know.”

“Is it..about work? Or…your love life?” Shinhye mused as she picked up one of the sweet rolls.

“Work’s okay. But, I kind of can’t stand her.” Jisoo stated, the two girls paused, stunned.

“Stand who? Is this about the mean cousin again? That Mrs. Chae?”

“No, not her. She’s basically harmless.” Jisoo muttered as she leaned back on her chair.

“Then who are you talking about?” Minah asked, Jisoo eyed her cup briefly before speaking.

“Im Soojin.”

“What? Why?” Shinhye leaned forward, intrigued.

“I had a feeling this would happen.” Minah nodded to herselg, Jisoo exhaled and carefully set her cup down.

“I can’t really explain it, but she acts like she’s better than everybody else, she’s…sometimes a bit of a know-it-all.”

“Why? What did she do?”

“She loves acting as if she..she can fix everything, she interferes with a lot of things. And,”

“What do you mean interfering? I thought you and her got along well,” Minah tilted her head.

“I don’t think she’s a good friend to Shownu oppa, I mean, how could she be all nice and cozy with his aunt and cousin? I just..think she’s being friends with both sides just to wait and see which one would benefit her.”

“Jisoo, she’s one of the KangSan Ims. She doesn’t need “sides”.” Shinhye sighed at her friend.

“I just…I don’t like how she seems to be the center of everything. That’s it.”

“They’ve always been a tight circle, maybe you’re simply not used to her yet?” Minah kept her tone light.

“Well, she’s leaving in a couple of months, I’ll just have to put up with her.” Jisoo rolled her eyes, she reached for her phone and smiled as she realized she received a text.

“Jisoo, I don’t think you understand, she’s literally one of them. Just because she’s going back to work that doesn’t mean you won’t ever get to see her again.”

“But I’m the girlfriend, I’ll simply have to talk to oppa about it.”

Shinhye and Minah glanced at each other briefly, then Jisoo stood up, her phone already on her ear.

“I’ll have to take this call.”

 

 

 

Changkyun was smiling as their household staff started hauling in boxes into the house, his older sister was away for work and requested if he could oversee her things. The family butler was directing the men to her old bedroom, Im Soojin had packed a lot of clothes.

Changkyun was about to head back in the house when a familiar Audi rolled in, the car pulled over at the curb and the driver slid down.

“Hyung, I didn’t know you were dropping by.” Changkyun smiled at him, the older male shrugged and walked towards him.

“The guard didn’t inform you? I was buzzed in.”

“I don’t think they bother to buzz you.” Changkyun mused as the two males entered the house.

“Soojin?”

“She’s at work, her colleague arrived last night, and they have some catching up to do. Noona didn’t tell you?”

“I didn’t…call her yet.” Shownu trailed off as they entered the living room, the younger male turned to him and chuckled.

“I’m guessing dinner with Seri noona’s boyfriend didn’t go so well?”

“No. Yes.” Shownu muttered, his forehead creasing as he watched more of Soojin’s luggages being loaded into the elevator.

“Noona got mad at you?”

“I think so. Is she moving back in tonight?”

“Yes, Ara’s planning to hold a small get together. She said she’d call you.” Changkyun stated, he waved to one of the staffs and asked for some snacks.

“She did. What time do you think~”

“Changkyun-ah, I think I left my iPad with one of the boxes,” His sister’s voice came from the foyer, the two men turned and Soojin was already standing by the entryway.

“I haven’t checked everyting, noona. I’ll go ask them.”

“Please. Thank you.” She said, Changkyun padded towards the stairs, Hyunwoo stood up from the sofa and looked at her.

“Soojin-ah, I didn’t mean to…say those things, I was just~”

“Worried for Seri, I know.” She said as she shook off her coat, revealing her ankle length knitted dress inside, the girl shook off her heels.

“It’s just you said he made you uncomfortable.”

“I did, but that doesn’t mean I’d go confront the man right then and there.” Soojin exhaled as she rolled up her sleeves and helped herself to some freshly squeezed orange juice on the table, she handed a glass to Hyunwoo.

“I’m just going to have to…watch him.”

“Watch him.” He repeated, Soojin gave him a small shrug.

“Anyway,” She moved on, Hyunwoo grinned before mussing her hair. Soojin chewed on her lower lip and set her glass down.

“About the other day at your office, I’m sorry if I overstepped my boundaries. I just..your aunt was being too much and, people were watching.”

“What? Since when did you apologize for dealing with her?” Hyunwoo chuckled as he picked up one of the mini sandwiches.

“I thought…I had the impression that it may have made Jisoo uncomfortable.”

“No, I was happy you stepped in. I never know what to do when auntie starts those kinds of things. It makes me uncomfortable.”

Soojin paused, but she nodded back.

“Well, I just didn’t want to offend your future fiancé.” She said quietly, Hyunwoo eyed her warily before pulling her in for a hug. Soojin sighed before patting his back.

“I’m glad you’re in town for this, Im Soo.”

“Good for you. Me? Not so much, my father’s engagement party is next week.” She grumbled, the male chuckled, he pressed his nose against her hair before letting go.

“I’ll be there.”

“You better be.”

“For damage control.” He finished, Soojin gave him the finger before picking up her stable bag.

“I’m going. I’ll see you at dinner?” She said while walking towards the door, Hyunwoo picked up another sandwich.

“Yes. Ride safely!”

 

 

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Meadow.” Soojin hummed as she checked the horse’s straps again, the stable hand smiled as he readjusted the saddle for her.

“A light stroll today, young miss?”

“Yes, I’m still trying to relearn how I did this.” Soojin mused as she put one foot on the stirrup and lifted herself up.

“Your brother was right when he purchased this lady. He said that she’d be the perfect companion for you after Doritos passed away way back.”

Soojin couldn’t help but smile at her old horse, Doritos was a pure-bred Friesian with a temper, but she had loved him dearly. Changkyun said that maybe the horse was grumpy because of how he was named.

“Well, I wish Meadow and I would get along, and she’d excuse my rustiness.” She mused as she ran her fingers through the Thoroughbred’s mane. Soojin tugged on the reins and the horse set off to a trot. They made their way out of stables, the girl smiled as the horse increased speed.

“I don’t when we’ll be able to get to play, but I hope it is soon.” She whispered to the horse, it chuffed and Soojin tugged on the reins to decrease her speed.

“I go home here, my father’s getting married to some…girl. Hyunwoo’s proposing. Things are going well, but Seri’s boyfriend gives me the creeps.” Soojin murmured to herself as they went deeper into the property. Her phone buzzed and she immediately picked up.

“Im Soo, babe, I need to ask you something.” Chaerin sounded chippy on the phone, she smiled and hummed for her to speak.

“What should I bring to dinner tonight?”

“I haven’t had raw crabs in a while, the marinated ones.” She answered as she let the horse slowly increased her speed.

“Okay, I know a place. And, one thing,”

“Hmmm?”

“You’re back to riding. Anyway, Ahn Bohyun seems to be good for our Seri, huh? He’s outgoing and chatty, he balances her out.”

“What a way to describe our friend as introverted and quiet.” She shot back, Chaerin chuckled in reply.

“You know what I mean. But, I really do think he’s the perfect guy for her.”

“W—Well, it’s too soon to tell, Mrs. Chae.”

“Eh, I’ll leave you and your Meadow to yourselves. I’ll see you later.” Chaerin said before ending the call, Soojin smiled and chucked her phone back in her vest, she made the horse increase speed again. Soojin smiled as she leaned down, letting the cool icy air brush against her cheeks. Her eyes went to the wooden pavilion she had seen weeks ago. It started to grow bigger as they neared the place.

“Right, maybe I should tell Son Hyunwoo about this place.” She mused to herself as Meadow kept her pace. Soojin’s eyes were on the pavilion, and then she gasped. One of her hands flew to as her eyes remained on the building.

The girl was about to turn her head, to check if there were other people around, but then the world turned black. Meadow shrieked as her owner landed on the grass with a loud distinctive crunch.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++