015

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

Soojin scrunched her nose as she looked at her schedule, she was about to have a packed two weeks. And with her colleague coming in a few days, it might lessen her load a bit.

She drummed her fingers on her desk and leaned back on her seat, she heard the doors open and she paused.

“I’m here with food, therefore I come in peace.” A familiar voice spoke, Soojin chuckled as Seri put the box on her table.

“I was about to call you regarding dinner, I’m happy for you, Miss Oh. Finally someone has reached your standards.” She mused as she stood up to greet her friend with a hug.

“Don’t say that.” Seri shot her a look, Soojin chuckled as she opened the box, she basically beamed as she saw the different type of pastries.

“What brings you here? I know you’re just as busy as I am. If not, more.”

Seri smiled before taking a seat across the girl, Soojin chose a raspberry tart and started nibbling on it.

“I wanted to talk about dinner.”

Soojin paused, finally noticing the worry in her friend’s eyes, she tilted her head, confused.

“Why? Do...Do you want me to cook something?”

“No. I was...You know Chaerin can be a bit...protective.” Seri said carefully, Soojin nodded at her friend.

“She’s made everyone aware of how she feels about Jisoo, and I..honestly understand why she’s like that. She can be overbearing about it, but I know she means well. She always does.”

Soojin hummed along, she did notice how Chaerin was a little too negative about Jisoo. She never understood why, but it wasn’t unlike Chaerin to be doubtful when it came to Hyunwoo’s girlfriends. Soojin mentally winced, Chaerin was in for a surprise then. Hyunwoo was about to propose.

“You’re worried that Chaerin and your boyfriend might not...vibe with each other?”

“That and...among other things.” Seri nodded along, growing quiet, Soojin smiled before standing up and placing herself beside her friend.

“Okay, I got it. I’ll be there for dinner, and I’ll try to soften her blows a bit.”

Seri chuckled and leaned against her friend.

“I can’t wait to meet your special someone.” Soojin said teasingly.

“I’m sure you guys will like him.”

 

 

 

Ara pressed her lips together as she looked at the couple across her. Changkyun remained quiet beside her as he waited for the server to return.

Soojin was browsing through the menu, the girl was seated at the head of the table, which amused Ara. Usually Chairman Im would take that seat, but the moment Soojin arrived, the elder had stepped away and let the girl take the seat.

“Why are we here?” Soojin looked at Changkyun, the younger sibling sighed before speaking.

“Soojin-ah, I’m hoping I’d see you at our party next week.” Mister Im finally spoke, Soojin glanced at her father and his bride.

“What party?” Soojin said, a small smirk forming on her face, Changkyun let out a light chuckle, his sister was enjoying this.

“Our engagement party, daughter. I’m really hoping that you’d be there.”

“Ah, are my friends coming too?” Soojin asked, her eyes still on her brother.

“I think they are, I’m sure Shownu hyung will be there.”

“He has to be there.” The patriarch whispered to himself, his bride turned to Soojin with a smile.

“We invited all your friends, Soojin-ah. Don’t worry.” She spoke sweetly.

“Now, I feel like a five year old who needs her friends to keep her entertained.” Soojin hummed with raised brows, Ara looked at her lap. The other young lady flinched and looked away. Changkyun hid his grin, their father’s fiancé fell for that trap.

“Anyway, I’ll be transferring to the house in a couple of days. My colleague is coming, and he’s taking the suite.”

“That’s good to hear, Soojin.”

“I’m still the lady of the house, right?” Soojin said pleasantly as their entrees arrived.

“O—Of course.”

“Then, I hope no one changed our decorations, I do hate it when things get moved around without me knowing, especially in the home where I grew up in.”

Mister Im nodded at his daughter, while his woman was already quickly typing on her phone.

 

 

 

Bohyun was smiling as he stepped down from the car, he walked around the vehicle and opened the door for Seri.

“Why are you nervous?” He chuckled as she noticed her fidgeting with her phone.

“They’re your friends, if they make you feel this way, then are they really yours?” Bohyun mused as they went up the restaurant’s stairs. Seri had reserved a room for their group at a popular Korean restaurant just a few miles out of downtown Seoul.

“It’s not that. It’s the teasing that comes after.” She hissed at him, the tall male chuckled and brought her hand to his lips.

“We’ll survive that.”

They were led to a room, and Seri found Hyungwon with Shownu and Jisoo inside.

“Chaerin had to take a call.” Hyungwon said as they stood up, she nodded at him, her eyes went to the other couple in the room.

“Well, oppa, this is Chae Hyungwon. He is Chaerin’s husband. Hyungwon-ah, this is Bohyun oppa.” She made quick introductions; Hyungwon nodded and shook the male’s offered hand.

“Nice to meet you.” Bohyun said before turning to Shownu and the girl beside him.

“This must be...your other close friend?” He turned to Seri briefly before giving Shownu a small nod.

“You’ve met Shownu oppa, this is his girlfriend, Jisoo. Jisoo, this is Bohyun oppa.”

“Hi.” Jisoo happily said as she shook the older male’s hand.

Shownu slowly took his seat while the others chatted. He glanced at the male beside Seri briefly, his forehead creasing. He felt like he should be remembering something about him. Did he already know about Bohyun before meeting him?

He tilted his head, he felt Jisoo’s hand on his arm, and he looked up.

“Changkyun and Ara won’t be able to make it. I think traffic got really bad.” Chaerin said as she stepped in, Seri nodded at her friend, then the latter’s eyes went to Bohyun. A small teasing grin started to form on her face.

“Why, hello, nice to finally meet you.” Chaerin hummed, Seri grimaced but she nudged to the male beside her.

“This is Chaerin, and she’s usually nice when I ask her to be.” Seri recited while sending her friend a look, Chaerin rolled her eyes before sitting next to her husband.

“She told me to be on my best behaviour tonight.” Bohyun spoke to the girl, Chaerin snorted.

“She told me the same thing.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you too, Mrs. Chae. Did I pass your test?” Bohyun asked, Jisoo let out a small laugh. Shownu’s brows rose and he picked up the glass of tea.

“I’m not sure, how nervous was she on the drive here?”

Hyungwon chuckled and shook his head at Seri, Bohyun was about to speak when an attendant pulled the doors open, and Soojin walked in.

 

 

 

Bohyun turned his head as another person joined them, he paused, stunned.

“Im Soo.” He heard Shownu speak, the male stood up and pulled a chair for her. Soojin smiled before taking the seat right across him and Seri.

“You’re just in time, Soo.” Hyungwon said to her, Soojin chuckled, then her eyes finally landed on Bohyun. It was when Shownu caught it, the look of shock that she quickly hid with an easy smile.

“First, he asked if I studied abroad, which was fine, you know. A normal question, I get that a lot. But then he started touching my hand, then asked if I had a place in town.”

“Just those things. He was being greasy and acted like he was the toughest guy in town and all. And trust me, he’s not the most good-looking person. He’s cocky as hell. Ugh.

Shownu’s eyes widened as he recalled Soojin’s words, they never got to talk about it again. And he wasn’t sure whether the girl had told him Bohyun’s name back then, she simply called him the Ceylon son.

“Soojin-ah, this is Bohyun oppa. Oppa, this is Im Soojin.”

Bohyun flashed the girl a smile before giving her a polite nod.

“Nice to meet you, miss Im.”

“Same here, nice to meet you.” Soojin said returned his nod, she leaned back on her seat and let Chaerin take over the conversation. Jisoo turned to Soojin and spoke.

“How was the drive here?”

“Traffic was really bad, Changkyun told me that they diverted back. Ara’s having a headache too.”

“I was worried we’d be late tonight as well. But, Soojin-ah, about the thing the other day, at oppa’s office,”

Soojin’s brows rose but she nodded for the girl to continue, half of her focus was on Chaerin and Bohyun as they conversed.

“Oh, that.”

“Thank you for stepping in, but I think there was no need to. I feel bad for how his aunt treats him and, I mean no harm by saying this. But, I had the situation under control. She was coming for him and~”

“Soojin-ah.”

Jisoo looked up, they hadn’t noticed that Shownu had left his seat, now he was standing behind Soojin’s seat with a hand on her shoulder.

“Y—Yeah?” She looked up, now confused. Three conversations were not easy to analyze and juggle.

“Do you want to ask the chef regarding tonight’s specials?” He said softly. Jisoo’s forehead creased and her eyes going to her boyfriend.

“Right now? Must we?” Soojin sighed, but the male only pressed his lips together in reply.

“Okay. Specials. Sure.” She murmured as she stood up, Hyunwoo waited for her by the doors and the two slipped out of the room. Jisoo pressed her lips together and leaned back on her seat.

“She shouldn’t have intervened.” She said under her breath as she eyed the doors warily, her eyes went around the table as the others continued to talk. Jisoo puffed her cheeks and tuned them out, it was already tiring enough to listen to Chaerin acting all friendly with other people.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++