013

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

 

“Shake hands?” Soojin couldn’t help but repeat his words, the male grinned at her.

“What kind of crap is that?” She stated as she walked towards him, he let out a laugh before enveloping her in a hug.

“I didn’t know you were back, for how long this time?” He asked as he dropped she pulled back.

“For…long, actually. It will take me months.” She said as he got tow champagnes from a passing waiter, and handed one two her.

“Is it for work?”

“Yes, I have a couple of potential clients I need to meet, and the bank thinks I may need more time to do it.”

“But you’re always rushing to get out of here.” He replied, Soojin eyed him warily before taking a small sip from her glass.

“What’s new with you, Park Chanyeol? Is work treating you right?” She asked him, she saw Shownu and Jisoo heading to their table. Seri was waving her brother over.

“Since when did that happen? I’m busy, but if you want to take me out to lunch, I’m free.”

“Should I ask you out?” She grinned back at him, her brows rose as Seri started to introduce her brother to Jisoo.

“Give me two business days to mull it over.” Chanyeol snorted back, but he was teasing.

“I mean it, lunch would be nice. For old time’s sake.”

Chanyeol was quiet for a few seconds before turning to her, Soojin made a face at him.

“Okay, lunch is on me. Coffee will be on you.”

“Oh my, a coffee date too? When did I get to lucky?” Soojin gushed, Chanyeol flinched and shooed her away.

“I’ll go say hi to the Sons, run along now.” He said with a smile, Soojin rolled her eyes at him, but the male reached out to squeeze her hand before stepping away from her.

 

 

 

“Well, how did it go? You guys looked so cute that it hurt.” Chaerin cooed as Soojin rejoined them, Ara was grinning at the older girl.

“I didn’t know his family was invited. You good?” Shownu said as he pulled a chair for her, Soojin shrugged.

“We’ve always been good. It’s fine.” She said, not taking a seat.

“Can I talk to you?” Soojin said, Shownu paused before nodding. He slowly stood up, murmured a few words to Jisoo before following his friend to the garden, away from the crowd.

Soojin chewed on the insides of her cheeks as she neared the house, she stopped by the marble steps and waited for Hyunwoo.

“What is it? Did he say something?”

“No, it’s not Chanyeol.”

“Then, what’s up, Butterscotch?” He said, it was clear that her friend was in a good mood, but there was just something that bothered Soojin and if she weren’t able to say it, it would continue to nag at her mind.

“Did I just witness your girlfriend of three years being introduced to Sehun, just days after her meeting your niece for the first time?” She said, Shownu tilted his head and leaned against the balustrade behind him.

“I don’t..follow, Im Soo.”

“Hyunwoo, how does she not know Sehun yet? She’s Seri’s brother.”

“Seri is the one who’s..always around me, Sehun has always been busy. And, he has another set of friends.”

“Still, Seri…Seri’s close to you, I would have figured that, I don’t know, you made the effort to introduce her to one of your closest friend’s..brother? Don’t you find it strange?”

“We don’t have to make a big deal out of it.” Hyunwoo said to her, not wanting to argue.

“Son Hyunwoo, you’re serious with her.”

“Im Soo, please, not tonight. I’m having fun, my girlfriend’s here and she gets along with my parents. And I’m still worried she might bolt any moment.” Hyunwoo exhaled, he pushed himself off the balustrade and placed his hands on her shoulders.

“Why would she bolt? The food is good.”

“Butterscotch, please.” The older male sighed and leaned down to meet her gaze, Soojin crossed her arms and stared back.

“I just wish you didn’t have to be so late on introducing her to everyone. It’s…weird, makes one think. You know what I mean.”

“I think I do. I should have thought about it. I just figured that it didn’t really matter, Sehun…Sehun is always there.”

“Don’t even try reasoning out with me.” She said, shaking his hands away, the male chuckled and slowly steered his friend back to the crowd.

“So, Chanyeol?” Hyunwoo asked, keeping his tone casual as he slung one arm around her shoulder.

“There’s nothing to talk about. So, don’t.”

“You two were chatting for quite some time.” He hummed in a light tone.

“Do you want to go back to discussing Haeyoung, Sehun and Jisoo?” She bit back, Hyunwoo flinched and shook his head.

“Okay, moving on. Make time for me next week.”

“What for?” She asked as they neared the party, Jisoo smiled at the two as she started eating.

“I need your opinion on some things.” He replied as they sat down.

“Is it about stocks again? Because I’m starting to feel like I’m being taken advantage of.”

“I wouldn’t dare, Im Soo.” He winked at her, Soojin shuddered and began eating.

 

 

 

“Noona, are you not coming home?” Changkyun asked as he stood by the windows, Soojin was busy typing on her laptop.

“What?”

“Home. Here in Seoul. Not at the hotel.”

The older girl briefly looked up before scrunching her nose.

“You can’t stay at the hotel forever, noona. It’s not good.”

“I don’t think I can stand abeoji’s…presence that much, and the woman’s there too, right?”

Changkyung turned quiet, he walked around the office before taking a seat. His eyes went to the desk across him and leaned back.

“Your colleague is coming when?”

“In a couple of weeks, he has quite the workload back in the main office. So, it will take him some time before flying here.”

Her brother hummed a reply, Soojin glanced at him before closing her laptop.

“What’s wrong? Do you need me to be home?”

“It would be better, noona. You’ve been gone for quite some time.” He said quietly while staring at his nailbeds, Soojin chewed on her lower lip before leaning on her desk.

“Is something bothering you?”

Changkyun remained quiet for a few moments before speaking.

“You’re going to hate me for saying this. I..I feel a little overwhelmed, noona.”

“Why would I hate that?” Soojin sighed, she stood up and walked around her desk. She sat down beside her brother and Changkyun leaned his head on her shoulder.

“I mean, things about work. It…gets too much sometimes. And I’m worried that I might do something wrong, or,” He trailed off, Soojin’s brows rose but she was nodding along.

“Do you need me there?”

“Noona, I know how you feel about working with the family and I do understand you have things you want to accomplish. But, sometimes, I~” Changkyun stopped, not knowing how to continue. But Soojin took his hand in hers.

“Okay, noona gets it. It’s alright.” She said to him, the younger male paused and looked at her.

“I’ll think about it, I’m sure I can work things out. I’ll divide my time here, and..let’s soo how things unfold from there, okay?”

Changkyun looked ahead, his forehead creasing.

“I’m sorry, noona.”

“What are you saying? It’s fine, it’s not like I can run away from responsibility forever, right? And, don’t you have that trip with Ara?”

“I do, I leave in a few weeks, will you be okay? Just come home, noona.”

“Only because the house is nearer to the club, I have riding practice on weekends.” She made a face at him, the younger Im chuckled and kissed the side of his sister’s head.

 

 

 

“I’m really sorry for cancelling last minute,” A voice made Seri look up, she smiled as Bohyun planted a quick kiss on the top of her head.

“It’s fine, it was uneventful.”

“I think I saw your brother on the news.” Bohyun said as he glanced around the café, Seri shrugged and took a small sip of her cappuccino.

“Oppa’s busy lately, and with that warehouse issue we have, there’s been a lot of eyes on him.” Seri trailed off, Bohyun smiled and leaned over to hold her hand.

“You seem happy.”

“Remember that friend I mentioned?”

“Ah, the one who works overseas? You said that she’s in the country for work.”

“Yes, I’m just happy that after years, my friend group is finally complete. And, I know she’s not planning on staying longer, but,” Seri trailed off, her eyes went to the doors, she spotted two familiar figures walk in.

“You wished she’d just stay permanently?”

“Yes. Everyone knows that she may work overseas now, and things are good for her there. But, she will always have to come home, you know? She’s the eldest of the family, and…well, we’re all kind of dependent on her.” Seri let out a small chuckle, Bohyun tilted his head and nodded.

“Maybe, we should set a date? I’d love to meet all of your friends, babe.”

“Hmmm, do you want to meet one now?”

The male’s eyes widened, but he was intrigued.

“What? Do you keep one in your purse?”

Seri chuckled before raising her hand and speaking.

“Oppa,” She said, Shownu’s eyes went to her, he paused and broke into an easy grin. Bohyun followed her gaze, he paused. The male looked so familiar but he couldn’t quite put a name to his face.

“Miss Oh, hello..” The male beside him greeted her with a polite bow, Seri stood up as the two males walked over to them, Bohyun slowly pushed himself away from the table and followed suit.

“I rarely see you out of your office, how are you?” Shownu spoke as he reached them, his eyes went to the male before his friend.

“This is Bohyun, Bohyun oppa, this is one of my friends, Son Hyunwoo, well, Shownu.” Seri made quick introductions and gestured towards Shownu’s secretary.

“And this is secretary Han.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” Shownu extended one hand to the male, Bohyun blinked back, the name finally rang a bell.

“Yes, nice to meet you.” The taller male greeted back, Shownu’s eyes went to the girl.

“Is that all you’re getting? Do you want something to eat?” He asked, Seri shook her head.

“I just ate before leaving the office, oppa.”

“Are you sure?” The male eyed the coffee with disdain, Seri chuckled and shook her head.

“Excuse me, you’re…with YooMin Group, right?” Bohyun spoke, the male’s eyes went to him. Seri looked one with a small smile on her face, secretary Han had excused himself to get their drinks.

“Yes, I work with YooMin. And, you work for?”

“My family runs Ceylon Telco.”

Shownu’s brows went up briefly but he nodded back, Bohyun was about to speak when the male turned to his girl again.

“I have a meeting in a bit, I’ll see when I see you?” He said before leaning over to give her a one armed hug, Seri nodded back.

“Okay, maybe next week? Dinner with the usual suspects?”

“Sounds good. Be careful.” Shownu replied as he patted her hand, the male turned his back towards Bohyun and stepped away from the couple.

“You didn’t tell me you knew the YooMin people.” Bohyun blurted out as they sat down, Seri blinked at him.

“YooMin…people?”

Bohyun chuckled and took a small sip from her coffee.

“Isn’t he the vice president? Wow.”

“Well, that…that’s always been his job description.” Seri trailed off, her eyes went to Shownu again before facing Bohyun.

“So, dinner with my friends?”

“Of course, I’d love to chat with him more.”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++