026

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

“Of course, I’ll be there.” Soojin said as she walked in the suite, Kai was already up, making his breakfast.

“Changkyun just left town, I’m sure he told you.” The girl continued while fixing her hair, her friend turned to her with raised brows.

“Coffee for me.” She mouthed, the male nodded back and walked towards the espresso machine.

“Eunwoo did call me, I’ll see you later then.” She said with a smile, she put her Airpods away and looked at her friend.

“Party tonight, you remember, right?”

“Yes, and I have a meeting with the Ceylon Ahns this afternoon.”

“Ugh, I had lunch with the son yesterday, he’s still….greasy.” Soojin murmured as she browsed through her phone, Kai noticed that she was glaring at the screen.

“Your brother and Ara left?”

“Yes, so now I have KangSan duties. I came by just to tell you that I might not be able to answer all your calls today. My brother’s schedule is insane.”

“Is that why you look like you want to incinerate your phone?” He replied as he started eating, Soojin sighed and picked up her coffee.

“No. I’ve been trying to reach Hyunwoo for almost two days now. We made plans for tomorrow, no, it’s his plans.”

“He’s probably out with the girlfriend, let the man live.” Kai mused at her, Soojin finished her cup and set it down.

“Well, I have my Saturday on hold for him so, I need to know if we’re still going, because I have Hyundai Group waiting for my confirmation.” She said under her breath, Kai grimaced and nodded along.

“Ah, you’re busy.”

“Very busy. I’ll see you later tonight.”

“I’ll come by and pick you up, work wifey!” Kai called out to her, the girl sighed and stepped out of the suite.

 

 

 

Shownu ed his coat as he stepped in his father’s office, his mother was already inside.

“You called for me, chairman?”

“Yes, I did. Your grandfather’s death anniversary is coming up. Eomma wants to check if everyone’s free next weekend.”

Shownu nodded and sat down, the Son matriarch had decided not to follow tradition years ago. Which was why instead of having the usual family dinner and other practices during her husband’s death anniversary, the Sons now hosted an intimate barbeque outing with family and chosen friends.

“Is Soojin available?” Mrs. Son asked, Shownu paused, but he slowly nodded back.

“I think she is, Changkyun is out of town.”

“Then, call her.” Mrs. Son waved a hand at him and picked up her tea, Shownu paused.

“Now?”

“Why? I don’t think she’s busy as of the moment, it’s almost lunch time.” Chairman Son pressed, the male winced and took out his phone.

“Eomma, abeoji, I was actually on my way to see her. We made plans to get lunch together, it’s her first day at KangSan.”

“Oh, wow.” Mrs. Son smiled, genuinely surprised.

“Soojin’s finally said yes to her father?” Chairman Son asked while nodding approvingly.

“Not really, abeoji. Changkyun asked for a favor.”

“Good, you can go now. Tell her we’re expecting her to join us at home, I’ll be cooking her favorites.” Chairman Son stated as Shownu hurried out of the room, the latter exhaled before hurrying to the elevator. KangSan’s office was at least a ten-minute drive from their building and he parked at the reserved slot by the curb, security greeted with him familiarity as he breezed through the doors.

“Sir, hello.” Chankgyun’s secretary stood up as he approached the doors, Shownu smiled back at the male.

“Is Director Im in?”

“Yes, go ahead.”

Shownu pushed the doors open, and Soojin looked up from her sandwich. He saw how her brows rose then they bunched together.

“Where have you been?” She said as a form of greeting, the older male mustered a smile as he walked towards her.

“It’s been…a difficult few days, Butterscotch.” He said as he leaned down to kiss the top of her head.

“How difficult? I don’t see your arm in a cast.”

“Huh?”

“What made it so difficult that you couldn’t even call back?” She flexed her fingers at him, Hyunwoo could only smile at her, apologetic.

“Well, good thing you’re here. Are we still on for tomorrow?”

“Y—Yes, of course. I’ll come by to get you.” He quickly nodded as he took the other half of her sandwich, Soojin glanced at him briefly.

“How’s your first day going?” He asked as he picked up her coat, the girl stood up and shrugged.

“Not bad. What are you doing?” She asked as Hyunwoo walked to her, gesturing for to put her coat on.

“Let’s get lunch.”

“I just had mine.”

“That’s not lunch. That’s pre-lunch.”

“Hyunwoo~”

“Come on, you should get something..heavier than a sandwich, Im Soo.” He urged her, the girl made a face but slid her arms through the sleeves.

“You know, I don’t get why you couldn’t just text me that you were busy. Are things okay?” She asked as she picked up her purse, Hyunwoo turned to her and nodded.

“Yes, just..busy.”

“Aunt is not…bothering you, right? Baekho?”

“No, not her. Not Baekho. It’s work, and Loen being a pain.”

“I warned you about them.” She pointed out as they walked out of the doors, Hyunwoo smiled and nodded at her. Soojin exhaled and looped her arm with his.

“We should go for steak, to celebrate my first day.”

“Sounds good.”

“Wait, scratch that, how about a sushi boat?” Soojin was smiling as they entered the elevator, Hyunwoo nodded along.

“I could go for sushi.”

Soojin grew quiet as she checked her phone for messages, Hyunwoo glanced at her.

“Im Soo, would it be okay for Jisoo to join us?”

Soojin looked up to meet his gaze.

“Why?”

“Why, what?” Hyunwoo replied, the doors opened and the two stepped out to the lobby, Soojin watched as the valet jogged towards her friend’s Levante.

“I mean, why does she have to join us? I’m pretty sure you see each other every day, by now she’d be sick of you.” The girl chuckled and walked ahead, Hyunwoo watched as Soojin got inside his car. He sighed and put his phone back in his pocket.

 

 

 

“Noona, thank you for coming!”

Kai watched as a handsome young male approached his friend, Soojin broke into a smile before hugging the stranger.

“Of course, Eunwoo would bite my head off if I don’t show up. You look great, Jaehyun-ah.” She said while squeezing his arm, the male chuckled.

“I brought a friend along, we work together and like I mentioned on the phone, we’ll be staying in Seoul for quite a while. Jongin this Jung Jaehyun, he owns this wonderful place. Jaehyun, this is Kim Jongin.” She made quick introductions, before excusing herself. She spotted the Chaes already seated at a private booth, the girl took the time to roam around. It was Jaehyun’s opening, his new business venture was sports lounge style club slash bar that was situated in the heart of Gangnam. The walls were decorated with different sports memorabilia, there were even claw machines and pin ball machines.

“Noona,” Eunwoo hummed as he slung one arm over his cousin’s shoulder, Soojin chuckled.

“Soohyuk hyung couldn’t make it, but he asked me to remind you to show up next week at thw Chungs. Luncheon with the fam.”

“I know, he called me yesterday. Thank you.” She mused as Eunwoo handed her a drink.

“I was just talking with Chaerin noona, I had no idea that she wasn’t a fan of Shownu hyung’s girl.” He spoke, Soojin followed his gaze, Hyunwoo and Jisoo had arrived, and the couple was seated with the Chaes.

“Yeah, she…she’s been vocal about it.”

“What do you think? You should be vocal about it too.” Eunwoo grinned as the two walked.

“I have no right to be, if…he’s happy then, I am.”

“That’s a very diplomatic answer, Im Soojin-ssi.” He mused, he saw Seri and Bohyun walk in, the younger male tilted his head.

“What is it? You really have to get over your crush on Seri, or you could just tell her.” Soojin said teasingly, Eunwoo had a crush on her friend when he was in grade school.

“It’s not that, it’s just…Soohyuk hyung mentioned that her guy gives off..weird vibes.”

“Vibes? The mafia prince knows that word?” Soojin chuckled, trying to play it off.

“Kind of. I’ll let you hang out with your friends.” Eunwoo dropped his arm, Soojin exhaled and made her way towards their booth. Chaerin smiled as she saw her, Hyungwon stood up to make room for her.

“Did you come alone?” Hyunwoo asked as she sat down, Soojin felt Jisoo’s eyes on her.

“I came with Kai. Your mother called about next weekend, how come you didn’t mention it earlier over lunch?” She asked, Seri was checking the menu when she noticed how the older male had paused. Jisoo’s eyes snapped towards her boyfriend.

“Is it the barbeque night for grandpa Son?” Chaerin chimed in, not noticing the sudden tension.

“What else?” Soojin shrugged, finishing her drink.

“It must have slipped my mind, are you still coming?”

“Oppa, why does it sound like you’re uninviting her?” Chaerin snorted as she asked for another drink, Seri met Hyungwon’s gaze and the male’s brows rose.

“I’m not.” Hyunwoo replied, he was looking at Jisoo intently.

“I’ll be there, even if you don’t want me to be. I’m going for halbae.” Soojin shrugged.

“You call the late president Son halbae?” Jisoo spoke, Bohyun turned to the group.

“Sometimes it’s halbae, or grandpa Son.” Soojin’s reply was quick, the girl was distracted with the fruit tower.

“But…But you’re not his grandchild. Is that..acceptable?” Jisoo questioned, Seri’s eyes widened, while Chaerin grinned behind her glass.

Soojin looked at Jisoo, but she was smiling, unbothered by the question.

“The Sons never told me off about it, but if it makes you uncomfortable, I can stop calling them that. But you’d have to explain to Mrs. Son why I’m going to address as Mrs. Son.”

The table turned quiet as Soojin picked up a grape.

“I meant his grandmother, halmae, grandma Son.” Soojin finished, Bohyun’s brows went up and he looked away.

“Well, that’s going to be an adventure.” Chaerin chuckled as she leaned back on her seat, Hyungwon flinched at Seri, the girl pressed her lip together.

“I mean, I can call her now, if you want.” Soojin took out her phone and Jisoo visibly tensed.

“Soojin-ah, it’s fine. Drop it.” Hyunwoo interfered, and then, Soojin’s brows rose. And that was the only giveaway to her friends, the only sign of her temper.

“Sure, like a dog. I’m going to drop it.” Soojin winked at him, Hyunwoo paused, he stretched one hand towards her.

“Soojin-ah, I~”

“I’m going to get something stronger.” Soojin murmured as she stood up and slid down from the booth.

 

 

 

Soojin chewed on her lower lip as she reached the bar, she didn’t mean to lose her temper earlier. She wasn’t supposed to answer that way, snappish and mean.

“Your group of friends are fun.”

She turned her head, Jongin had plopped right next to her, the girl stared at him with wide eyes.

“Did…I say something wrong?” He paused, he turned to the booth she just left, his eyes narrowed at Bohyun briefly.

“No, no. I just…I needed some air.”

“Bohyuh got into your nerves already?” Jongin leaned back on the stool, the girl shook her head and simply leaned against him.

“You see, I knew it. Something is bothering you.”

“No~”

“And it wasn’t your arm, or your sudden friendship with that tatted doctor.” Jongin continued, Soojin sighed and shook her head.

“It’s just the stress, today was my first day with Kangsan.”

“Sure, go lie to yourself.” Kai snorted and threw back another shot, Soojin eyed him warily.

“You…You shouldn’t be drinking like this.”

Chaerin followed her cousin’s gaze, the male was watching as Soojin spoke with her friend at the bar. She was leaning against his arm as they spoke, looking all comfortable with each other.

“Maybe she’s not in the best of spirits, she looks tired.” Seri offered, Jisoo had remained quiet as she fiddled with her empty glass.

“I never questioned why she addressed your grandparents that way, and I’m related to you.” Chaerin faced her cousin.

“I was just..curious, your relationships are fascinating and~”

“You didn’t have to disrespect Soojin like that.” Chaerin turned to her, Hyungwon looked at his wife. The table turned deadly quiet, Chaerin was looking at Soojin as she spoke.

“You should be mindful of your place. She’s been nothing but kind to you.” She finished as she left the booth, Hyungwon looked at the group.

“I’ll..get going. We’ll get going.” He nodded as he followed his wife to the doors, Bohyun nudged Seri.

“Are things okay?” He whispered, Seri turned to him and shook her head.

“Oppa,” Jisoo touched his arm, Shownu looked at her.

“I need to talk to her, excuse me.” He softly said as he left the table, Jisoo watched as her boyfriend approached the Soojin and Kai. The male had looked up to greet him but Soojin didn’t react as he leaned over to talk to her.

“They better fix this soon, if those two starts not talking to each other again, I don’t think we’ll be able to survive it.” Seri scratched the back of her head.

“Do they fight often?” Bohyun asked her, Jisoo exhaled and leaned back on her seat.

“Almost never, but Soojin can go on without talking to him, but it…can drive him crazy if she continues it.” Seri whispered to her boyfriend; the girl paused when she noticed Kai sauntering over to them.

“What was that?” He asked as he plopped down beside Jisoo.

“What did he say?” Seri asked him, the male shook his head.

“He wanted to talk, but Soojin preferred to not listen.”

Seri flinched and shook her head; Kai’s eyes went to Bohyun briefly and he nodded back at the male.

“Are they…going to be okay?” Jisoo looked at Seri, the young lawyer looked at her, her forehead creasing. Soojin may have reacted badly, but it wasn’t Jisoo’s place to question her like that.

Soojin had finally turned to her friend, Hyunwoo was talking.

“They better be, if Soojin doesn’t show up next week, then he’ll be in trouble.”

“I..just never expected that she’d be…this important to his family.”  Jisoo carefully said, Kai glanced at her, curious.

“I hope you don’t misunderstand this, but the Sons would never let go of Soojin. And the same thing with her family too, there’s way too much at stake if those two stop speaking to each other, so,” Seri pushed drink away.

“If you could at least deliver your words better and not cause trouble, I would greatly appreciate it.”

“Seri, I’m his girlfriend, I think it’s only right that I ask questions, Soojin hasn’t been around very long~”

“No, you’re the one who hasn’t been around her very long.” Seri cut her off, Bohyun and Kai sat up, surprised at her tone.

“I’m sorry, but those two have always been great friends. And, I know one can get suspicious of them, and I’ve seen it happen.” Seri met her gaze evenly.

“She usually wins.” Oh Seri finished, she picked up her empty glass and transferred tables.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++