006

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

Soojin straightened the front of her coat as she slid down from the cab, her eyes went to the French restaurant’s doors with curiosity. The girl was wearing one of her tailored fitted pantsuits and matching black satin pumps.

“I didn’t expect they’d reply so quickly.” She murmured to herself as she went up the steps, she was greeted by one of the staff.

“Do you have a reservation, ma’am?”

“Yes, I’m with mister Ahn.” She replied, the lady nodded and led her to one of the tables. Soojin glanced around, realizing that they had reached one of the less crowded areas of the restaurant.

“Sir,” She heard the hostess speak, Soojin turned to the table and paused.

I was expecting someone older.

“Hello, I’m Im Soojin, I was the one who reached out to you.” She stepped forward, the male smiled and stood up to shake her hand.

“Yes, nice to meet you. I’m Ahn Bohyun. My father wanted to be here himself, but something suddenly came up at the office. Please, take a seat.” He smiled as he pulled the chair for her.

“I wasn’t expecting someone so young, how long have you been working with Swiss Bank?” Bohyun asked as hors d’oeuvres were being served.

“Long enough that they sent me alone to meet clients.” She smiled, she didn’t really enjoy discussing specific details about herself when working, she’d rather talk about the client and what they want, then discuss how the bank can help.

And if she was honest with herself, Ceylon Telco was not that big for her employers to be chasing around. Well, whatever her bosses want, they must get.

“So, what are you proposing?” The male asked a polite smile as he leaned closer to the table.

“Here, I have printed out different offers for Ceylon to consider. As well as interest rates and other services that bank can provide. Also, I’ve added our portfolio, if ever you would like to dive into the stock trading with us, of course~”

“No, maybe we can talk all about that later, the chairman isn’t even here, you don’t have to do that much to impress me, miss Im. Trust me,” Bohyun smiled as their second course arrived, Soojin’s eyes went to the soup briefly.

“Then, what…would you like to discuss?” She said as she picked up her spoon and smelled the faint scent of seafood in it, she pressed her lips together before helping herself to some.

“You, miss Im.” He said, his smile widening.

Oh god, no. Please, no.

“Yes?”

“Did you study here? Or abroad?”

“I studied here.” Soojin replied for the sake of being polite, and of course, she couldn’t be rude to a client. Even if he was being a little greasy.

“Really? Then that must have cost your parents more, I hear that you have to at least speak three languages just to work for your company.” Bohyun mused as he finished his soup, Soojin didn’t miss how his eyes trailed down to her neck then to her chest.

“I think so.” She nodded along, really wanting to discuss work instead. This was why she dressed up and left the hotel. And faster she finishes with one client, then she can deal with the next.

“Then, do you have a place here?”

Why is he asking that?

This is why I should not have been sent alone.

“I’ll..probably be living with my family while I’m here.”

“You’re staying for long? Then we should meet up more.” Bohyun chuckled and placed his hand over hers, Soojin gritted her teeth together and slowly pulled her hand away.

“Of course, I still need to see Chairman Ahn if he would like to join our bank.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll put in a good word for you.” Bohyun winked at her before continuing with his meal, Soojin almost rolled her eyes.

 

 

 

“Hi,” Jisoo smiled as the male reached the table, Shownu kissed the side of her head before taking his seat across hers.

“Did you wait long? I’m sorry, I got caught in a meeting,” He said as he looked around them, it was almost eight in the evening and he was hungry.

“It’s fine, I already ordered for us. Bad day at work? It’s a Friday.”

“Great, thank you. Well, not really. I have this project I need to check and Baekho’s..not reacting well to it.”

Jisoo frowned at the mention of his cousin, she really didn’t understand why the younger male was always so hostile towards Shownu. They were the only two sons of YooMin Group, their company, no empire, is way too big for one to be greedy.

Well, people did call her boyfriend the “golden boy” of the clan, maybe that was the reason. And she kind of agreed with that, he was the superior YooMin son. Or maybe she’s just being biased.

“Is that the out of town one? You mentioned that the other time.” Jisoo said as their food arrived, Shownu puffed his cheeks and sliced her steak for her.

“Yes, and I had to meet with KB Financial. Anyway,” Shownu put his napkin on his lap.

“How was your day?”

“I had to meet some executives from KNOC, they wanted to discuss some importation issues.” Jisoo nodded along while moving the pasta around her plate.

“And the minister mentioned about KangSan buying CJ Oil. I guess it really did push through.”

“Yes, Changkyun said they were offering it for reasonable price, and it’s for one of their smaller companies, I think.” Shownu nodded along, Jisoo glanced at him. When she first met him, she had no idea that two of the largest, also most lowkey, companies not just in their country, but in Asia were close like family. While YooMin succeeded in hotels, malls, and their huge hold on Samsung, the KangSan Ims were all about construction, the automobile industry and shipping lines.

It was crazy how connected her boyfriend was, and how down to earth and calm he was. Not to be cliché, but he was nothing like the other guys she’s met before.

“You want to join me to the club tomorrow?” Shownu spoke again.

“Yes, what time will you come pick me up?”

She saw how his lips curled up briefly, his expression turning sheepish.

“About that,”

Jisoo’s forehead creased, going anxious. Going to public events with him were fun, it was okay, but there were events like going to the club. The country club. She’s probably been there five times ever since they started seeing each other, usually it was a charity event, for brunch and polo matches. Not that she was ever maltreated at the place, but the whole environment was just too…posh and exclusive.

“Is it okay if I’ll be sending a car for you? I don’t want to be late because of me, and theb guys will be there too.”

“Why? You have work tomorrow?”

“Conference call from Boston. It’s quite urgent.” He said apologetically, Jisoo chuckled and shook her head.

“It’s fine, oppa. I’ll see you there tomorrow. Please don’t bail on me,”

“I would never.” Shownu winked at her.

 

 

 

Ara brushed her bangs away from her face as she approached the concierge.

“Miss Cho!” The lady greeted her with familiarity, she smiled back as she reached the counter.

“I need help parking, but the valet’s busy.” She said as she glanced at her waiting Audi, the lady frowned slightly, following her gaze.

“Yes, we’re quite packed today. It’s the match.” She grinned before taking the keys from her.

“Don’t worry, young miss. I’ll make sure your car gets parked. Leave it to me.” She said, Ara thanked the lady and was about to get to the courtyard when a black Masersati SUV pulled over.

“It’s oppa.” She said, but Jisoo was the only one who stepped down from the vehicle.

“Unnie,” She called out, Jisoo was looking at the pavilion with wide eyes. But then she saw her, and she smiled.

“Hey, good thing you’re here. This place is always..a little too much for me.” Jisoo chuckled as she walked over to her. Both women were dressed in neutral colors, Ara was wearing linen dress that reached her knees with a pair of green mules while Jisoo opted to go light denim jeans with a white shirt tucked in, but she was wearing heels. Ara grew worried about that a little.

“So many people.” The girl commented as they crossed the lobby, Ara nodded and glanced at the posters.

“It’s a polo match and it’s for a good cause, I guess that’s why everyone’s here.” Ara replied as they headed towards the courtyard. Jisoo grimaced as they stepped on the grass.

“Why are you alone? Changkyun?” Chaerin said as they reached their reserved table, Ara smiled at her husband and Seri.

“We decided to go separately, uncle called him in for a work emergency. But he’ll be here.” Ara grinned as she sat across Chaerin and Hyungwon.

“What kind of emergency? Did he lose his bride somewhere?” Chaerin made a face, Seri shushed her, Ara grinned at the two.

“Hyung didn’t come with you?” Hyungwon looked to Jisoo, Seri smiled at the girl and gave her a small wave. Chaerin scrunched her nose and looked around them, she spotted a few of her college friends across the lawn and smiled at them.

“He has this conference call, he texted just minutes ago that he’s already on his way.”

“It’s probably that merger thing in New York. Or was it Boston? He asked Soojin to look into it.” Seri commented with a shake of her head.

“There’s way too much pressure on him, I feel bad.” Chaerin said as she pulled her iced tea closer to her, Seri noticed how the girl’s eyes went to Jisoo, then her brows rose, seeing her shoes.

“Chaerin-ah,” Seri spoke before the girl could speak, Ara and Hyungwon grinned at each other.

“Let’s go look at the horses, some of our friends are competing today.”

Hyungwon saw Changkyun arrive, the older male waved him over.

“You know the players?” Jisoo asked them with interest.

“Since it’s a fundraiser, most players present here are old pals.” Seri mused as she stood up.

“I bet some of them are wearing their Christian Louboutins too~” Chaerin was already being dragged away by her friend, Hyungwon could only smile as Changkyun reached them.

“Hi, I’m glad to see I’m not the one who’s terribly late.” He mused, noting Shownu’s empty chair before kissing Ara’s cheek.

“Hi.” Ara said as the male sat down.

“Why did they leave the table? To get food? The match is about to start, hyung.”

Jisoo was looking at the grass field with interest, final preparations were being made and some of the pergolas were still being set.

“That and probably to keep the peace.”

 

 

 

“Come on, every time she plays, we don’t even need to bet which team wins.” Changkyun chuckled, the first match had ended, and lunch was being served.

“She has gotten better over time, I remember back then, Minah would even train on school days.” Seri commented, she glanced at the field again, the friendly match ended with Team 1 winning. That resulted to the charity of their choice to receive the cash price and benefits from the players’ families.

“Have you ever tried learning?” Jisoo nudged her boyfriend, Shownu grinned and shook his head.

“I know how to ride a horse, but the game is..a little too much for me. And,”

“He never had the time.” Changkyun mused, the older male rolled his eyes.

“But, oppa, it was never your cup of tea.” Seri said over her salad, Chaerin pursed her lips.

“What about your plus one?” She whispered; Seri turned to her.

“He cancelled last night, it’s a work thing. He has to drive to Incheon.”

“What a waste, I was planning to give him a hard time.” Chaerin whispered back, Seri sighed at her, but both were smiling.

“What are you two murmuring about? Should I be worried?” Hyungwon chimed in, his hand on his wife’s lap.

“No. We were just talking about holiday plans.”

“Right, did auntie tell you about the dinner?” Shownu looked at his cousin, the two were related because of their mothers being siblings.

“I know, next week. Are you coming? It’s RSVP only.” She pointed out, Seri noticed that Ara was staring at something.

“Yes, can you ask if I can have a plus one? I want to take Jisoo with me.” He asked her, Chaerin’s brows but she nodded back.

“Okay, I’ll ask for you.”

“But what are they staring at?” Changkyun blurted out while setting his spoon down, Shownu glanced over his shoulder, he saw his white G Wagon already parked by the pavilion’s curb, he shrugged and went back to eating.

“Maybe it’s time for the next match?” Hyungwon asked, following their gaze. Seri looked up, even some of the guests were starting to turn their heads. Others were already murmuring to each other, Seri tried to listen in.

“It’s her!”

“When did she arrive?”

“Does that mean she’ll take over now? What about her brother?”

“Their father’s getting married, maybe that’s why.”

Chaerin finished her plate and noticed that even the polo players were not focused on the field anymore, she turned her head and paused.

“Soojin-ah! It’s been so long!” One of the female guests stood up, Changkyun’s brows went up and Shownu leaned back on his seat.

“Soojin?” Chaerin and Seri chorused, Hyungwon spotted the familiar figure in the crowd, and he let out a small laugh. Ara spotted the older girl easily, she was wearing a baby blue poplin dress that rested right above her knees and a pair of -colored espadrilles, her Hermes Kelly hung over one shoulder carelessly. And, just like the old days, guys would always stop and stare at her.

“S—She’s in town?” Chaerin said, Shownu continued eating. He felt Chaerin and Changkyun’s gaze on him. Jisoo blinked at the two and her eyes went to her boyfriend.

“Since when, hyung?”

“About a week.” Shownu said with a small sheepish smile, Seri was about to speak when Soojin reached their table.

Hi.” She said with an infectious grin, Changkyung eyed her warily, while Chaerin stood up to attack her with a hug. Seri chuckled and joined the two.

, how could you not tell us you’re back!

“Chaerin, language! There are kids here.” Seri sighed, she was sandwiched between the two.

“That’s why I said it in English!”

“That can get emotional.” Hyungwon mused as he looked at the three ladies,.

“You knew she was back?” Jisoo peeled her gaze away from them, Shownu nodded back before picking up his champagne.

“She’s here for work. And she didn’t want to tell the others yet.”

“Chae Hyungwon.” Soojin said, the two girls had already freed her, Hyungwon grinned before giving the girl a quick hug.

“Glad to see you, miss Im. Welcome home.” Hyungwon mused, Soojin walked to her brother next.

Hello, brother.”

“Let me guess, you checked in at one of YooMin’s hotels and hid there, not bothering to even text me or leave a Post It somewhere and~” Changkyun stopped when his sister kissed the top of his head and hugged him.

“How could I possibly leave a Post It, your office is at the top floor, baby brother. I wouldn’t get past security.” She chuckled; she blew Ara a kiss over his shoulder.

“Glad to see my dream sister-in-law is with us.” She grinned at him; Ara grimaced at her words then the older girl let go of her brother.

“Jisoo, hi. We meet again.” She said as she stretched one hand to the girl, Jisoo smiled back and shook her hand.

“Whoa, how long has he been hiding you? A week?” Seri mused, as Soojin took her seat beside Shownu.

“I had some work things to settle.” She said before turning to her friend.

“Son Hyunwoo.” She said as she showed her the car keys in her purse.

“Yes, you can use it.” He said to her before pouring her some champagne, she smiled in victory while Changkyun asked for her plate. Soojin leaned her elbows on the table and looked around, Jisoo noticed how most of the male guests were already looking at their table now, most of them were trying to catch the newcomer’s attention.

“Are you staying for long?” Hyungwon spoke.

“Maybe a couple of months, I have some clients I need to meet.”

“How did the Ceylon thing go? You called me about it.”

Seri looked up from her plate briefly, Soojin gave him a one shouldered shrug.

“Yes, we have Im Soojin for more than two weeks!” Chaerin chuckled as she raised her glass for a toast, they raised their glasses.

“But before that, I checked with my father’s secretary, so all of you are going to my father’s wedding, huh? And no one bothered to tell me, some friends you are.” Soojin stated, and slowly the glasses went down. Changkyun grimaced and looked away.

“Im Soo.” Shownu spoke softly, the girl sighed and finished her champagne in one go.

“Well, welcome home to me.”

Shownu smiled and nodded for her to start eating.

“It was French and fine dining. He tried holding my hand. Twice.” She whispered to him as she sliced her fish, his head turned.

“What?”

“I hate him already.” Soojin continued as she started eating.

“What are you two whispering about?” Jisoo jokingly said, Chaerin and Seri looked up. Soojin stopped chewing, she swallowed.

“Ah, French cuisine and touchy men. They don’t mix well.” She replied, Changkyun stifled a grin.

“Oh.” Jisoo blinked, confused.

“Hyunwoo, please explain. I’m going to need something stronger.” Soojin mused as she stood up to walk towards the bar, not noticing a couple of guys follow her.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++