018

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

Ara chewed on her lower lip as she continued pace, her eyes went to the Soojin’s sleeping form and she sighed again. She had received the call from Changkyun about two hours ago, his sister fell off her horse and was being rushed to the hospital. He was in Ilsan for a meeting, and he did not even have to ask, Ara drove to the hospital right away. Fortunately, Shownu and Chairman Im were already at the ER when she arrived.

Now, she was left in the room with Soojin while Chairman Im went home to get some clothes for his daughter while Shownu was downstairs to process the girl’s documents. Ara halted when the doors opened, Shownu stepped in with a bunch of papers.

“She’s still asleep, oppa.”

“The doctor said she’d be out for some time. Did Changkyun call?” He asked as he loosened his tie.

“He’s already on his way back, he took the chopper.”

The older male nodded and sat down on one of the leather couches, his eyes travelled over to Soojin briefly.

“What..exactly happened?”

“I called the club, they said she took Meadow out for a practice ride, I spoke with her he mentioned she was only taking her for a slow walk, nothing strenuous.”

“Then…why did she fall?”

“She hit her head, I don’t know how it happened, but Soojin didn’t seem to notice that she was riding too close to a tree, she hit one of the branches. And then she fell.” He murmured; Ara exhaled.

“Chaerin and Seri are already on their way, you should go get something to eat. I’ll watch over her.”

“But, unnie is an exceptional rider, oppa. How could she not see the tree coming?”

“Exactly.” He replied as he stood up, Ara watched as the male walked over to Soojin, he reached down and fixed the covers, pulling the blanket over her tightly.

“Was..she on her phone?” She voiced out.

“I don’t think so, she spoke with Chaerin while riding, but the times don’t match. She..must have been distracted.” He nodded at her, but his eyes were on Soojin, Ara picked up her purse and turned for the doors.

“I’ll get you something to eat too, oppa.”

 

 

 

“I really thought that they were having a board of directors meeting here, in this floor.” One of the nurses joked as she returned to their station, her workmates grinned.

“I know, I’ve never seen the director run like that!”

“But who is the young lady? Patient Im Soojin? Is she a celebrity?”

“I don’t think so, maybe she~”

“What if she’s one of those rich kids? Well, it is a horseback riding accident, what if~”

“Gossiping?”

They straightened up but relaxed as the young doctor sauntered over towards them, he eyed the patient charts briefly before taking two of them.

“Doctor Y~”

“I’d love to gossip but, I have to go do my rounds, I’m sorry, ladies.” He winked at them before moving away, the nurses chuckled and watched him go.

“Well, if you’re the owner’s son, you’d not care about these things too.” One of the nurses mused.

Soojin grunted as she tried to stir, but there was this piercing pain on her scalp. The girl groaned when she realized that something was wrong with her right arm too.

“I’m sorry about that. But, it might be a few weeks before you can stretch your arm.” A voice spoke, she slowly opened her eyes, and blinked, disoriented.

You’re at the hospital, miss Im. Your father and brother were here earlier, your husband just left.” He informed.

I have a husband?” She murmured, she heard a soft humming sound, and then she the bed was being reclined. Her eyes focused on the male checking her dextrose.

What..happened to me, doctor?” She spoke after examining his white coat, the male tilted his head before disposing of his gloves, her eyes went to his tattoos.

You suffered a bad fall from a horse, when you got here, we had to give you stitches. Right over here.” He leaned over, his finger brushing over the bandage on her hairline.

And my arm?” She shifted her right shoulder and grimaced, and he grimaced with her.

Yeah, I wouldn’t do that again. But you landed on this arm, but no worries, it’s just a minor fracture.” He continued as he pointed towards her injured arm, Soojin nodded along, but she paused.

I’m sorry, but…do you speak Korean?

“I do, when you got here, you were half unconscious, and you were muttering in English, so, I assumed you didn't speak Korean that much.” He mused at her, Soojin exhaled and nodded.

“How are you feeling, miss Im?”

It’s just Soojin. Everything’s…cloudy. My back hurts, my scalp is itchy.” She muttered under her breath as she checked the time, it was almost three in the morning.

“It must be the painkillers, don’t worry, we’ll be running tests on you later just to be sure.” He examined her cast, Soojin scrunched her nose before speaking.

Does that mean I don’t get to go home tomorrow, doctor…?” She trailed off while trying to see his ID, the male chuckled and pulled back.

You can call me Christian. And, sadly, no going home yet.

Well, I guess I get a few more days to ponder over things.” She muttered under her breath, the doctor dimmed the room lights.

You should go try to get back to sleep.

“Wait, doc…Christian,”

“You know what, Ian sounds better.” He mused at her, Soojin nodded back before speaking.

Do you think I..Can I at least walk around?

You can, but maybe when the sun’s already up, okay?

Soojin made a face but nodded, the doctor smiled before leaving the room.

 

 

 

Jisoo stepped out of the elevator, she had run into Seri and Chaerin at the lobby, she followed the two girls towards the Soojin’s VIP suite, it was her first time on the floor.

“I can’t believe it. She fell? Off a horse? Her?” Chaerin muttered as Seri pushed the door open, the latter sent her a look.

“I mean, come on, she’s won trophies and~”

“Now’s not the time, Mrs. Chae.” A bored voice echoed from the room, Jisoo couldn’t help but smile.

“Well, look at you, you look radiant today.” Chaerin said dryly as she set the basket of flowers down, Seri was smiling as she brought over the pizza towards the patient.

“I knew you’d like this better than those ginseng drinks.” She mused as she patted her head, Soojin chuckled and yanked the box from the girl.

“And, we ran into Jisoo downstairs.” Seri added, Soojin looked up and nodded. Chaerin walked over to them, and her eyes went to Soojin.

“Broken arm, stitches on the head. Wow.” Chaerin frowned, Soojin rolled her eyes in response as she took a huge bite from a slice.

“How are you feeling, Soojin-ah?” Jisoo spoke to her, Seri started to pour some juice for the girl.

“Peachy. I’ll live.” Soojin replied, she was about to grab another slice when the doors opened again.

“Why can’t they just let a girl eat~”

“It’s good to see you are up, young miss.” Shownu’s secretary said politely as he walked into the room, Jisoo eyes went to the bags he was carrying.

“Is that sushi?” She asked him with a curious grin, the male nodded as he set the bags on the table and slowly took the containers out.

“Is oppa still at that meeting? I texted him earlier.” Chaerin asked him, the male nodded before speaking.

“Yes, it’s taking quite some time.”

“Wait, is it that meeting with GaEul Group?” Soojin set the pizza down, concern filling her eyes, the secretary pushed the brought the tray over to her.

“Yes, it~”

“Wasn’t that for yesterday? We were talking about it last week, it’s about the merger. Was it delayed?” Soojin asked, she knew that meeting was very important to him and YooMin.

“Yes, vice president Son moved it the moment he got the call from the club. Don’t worry, young miss, things are going well.” He smiled as he offered her chopsticks, Chaerin chuckled before taking a seat.

“Reasonable.” Seri mused at her, Shownu’s secretary excused himself before leaving.

“I did text him, I wanted sushi.” Soojin hummed to herself as she started eating, Seri paused, her eyes going to Jisoo briefly.

“Changkyun’s not here today.” Seri spoke, Chaerin stood up and helped herself to a slice.

“He was here earlier, he spoke with my doctor. I have tests to be done today, I hate it.” She muttered as she opened a container of sashimi.

“I heard Shownu oppa was already here last night, it must have been bad, Soojin-ah.” Jisoo said conversationally.

“I can’t really remember anything. But, abeoji did say he was here, if he wasn’t, I wouldn’t have that.” She jutted her lips towards the Louis Vuitton luggage.

“I refuse to wear hospital clothes.” Soojin chuckled as she continued eating, Jisoo nodded back and picked up her purse.

“I have to get to work, I hope you get well soon, Soojin-ah.”

“Thanks.” Soojin smiled back at the girl and watched as she left, Chaerin made gagging noises and Seri shushed her.

“I literally can’t stand her, and I’ve already had my coffee. She’s the problem. Not me.” Mrs. Chae pointed out.

“Still, she came to see Soojin, that was nice of her.” Seri added, Soojin smiled as the two bickered, and then she sighed as she put the chopsticks aside, she sent a silent apology to the Japanese people before picking up a piece of sushi with her fingers.

 

 

 

“Are you okay? Why would you fall?”

Soojin exhaled as she leaned back on the bench, the girl was talking a walk around the hospital and she had decided to join the other patients at the sky garden.

“Hey, oppa, why would you ask me that? Do you think I wanted to happen?”

She could almost see her older cousin rolling his eyes, but he went on.

“I’ll be seeing you at uncle’s engagement party, right?”

“I like that people ask me that. You’re the fourth one to do so.” She mused back, the older male grunted in reply.

“You better be there, oppa.”

“Of course, we haven’t seen each other in a while. I miss having to clean up after your mess.” He mused in return, Soojin chuckled before ending the call.

“I don’t think you should be going about, noona.”

Soojin glanced up and saw her brother, she made a face at him. Changkyun sat down beside her and stretched his legs.

“I asked my doctor, he said it was okay.”

“Doctor? Doctor Yoo?”

“Christian.” She replied, Changkyun blinked back at her, confused.

Christian Yoo?” He asked.

“I don’t know what his family name is, but he said it was fine.” She shrugged, Changkyun exhaled and took his sister’s hand in his.

“I was so worried when they said that you hit your head badly, noona.”

“Why? Are you worried I wouldn’t be able to take over your responsibilities once you leave for your trip a week after our father’s engagement?” She said dryly, Changkyun grew sheepish, but he sighed at her.

“You know I don’t mean that. I was planning to move~”

“Don’t move the trip, I know Ara’s excited over it. Besides, I’ve been away for too long, it’s time for you to unwind.” She mused as she leaned her head against his shoulder.

“Thanks, noona.”

“And, I was told your tests are all clear, they said you can go home tomorrow.” Changkyun spoke, Soojin nodded and picked up her coffee.

“Okay. I have to go speak to Kai as well.”

“Hyung came by last night when you were asleep, I think it was his first-time meeting Shownu hyung. You should have seen his face when he introduced himself as your husband.”

“The idiot that he is.” Soojin muttered, Changkyun chuckled and leaned back.

“So, no dinner party for me? Or can we still have that? I know Ara wanted to cook her specialties.” She whispered to her brother.

“We’re having it this weekend, noona. You think Ara would deny you?”

“Of course not, I am her favorite Im.” She claimed.

“And I come second. I know that.” Changkyun scoffed playfully. Soojin was about to reply when her phone started ringing, she looked at the screen before standing up to take it.

“Yes, president, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to call you again. Something came up and I had to be..absent, when can we meet?” She spoke politely.

“I heard you were in accident from your colleague, no need to apologize, miss Im. How about this Friday? But, I do have to apologize in advance, I had to fly to Shanghai yesterday for work, I will be sending my son in my stead.”

Soojin grimaced, she had had enough of these presidents and their sons.

“Ah, I see, president. Friday, lunch then, sir?”

“Yes, I’ll set the time and place, I’ll have my secretary email you by the end of the day. I wish you a speedy recovery, miss Im.”

“Thank you, president Yoo. I look forward to doing business with you.”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

DPR IAN is Doctor Yoo (Yoo Barom, Yu Barom)

009a3a7b9d72275b8054be498b82ef828b44a205.gif  eafd78d6ab0312a1743fff5b3c3d87234598c764.gif