020

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

Soojin grimaced as her grandmother glared at her through the screen, driver Park smiled from behind the wheel as the girl balanced the laptop on her lap.

“How could you be so careless? You got us all worried, you brat.”

“Halmae, it’s just a~”

“You were unconscious, Im Soojin.” The elder hissed, Soojin sighed and shut her trap.

“Halmae~”

“And, you went home and did not tell us? We only found out because your father called us, he thought we already know that you’re in town.” Her grandmother continued, Soojin flinched, she glanced at the windows and noticed that they were already near her office.

“When will you be flying back, halmae? Will you both be here next week?”

“Your father’s getting engaged to that lady next week, right?” The elder actually rolled her eyes, Soojin smiled in reply.

“Why didn’t you block it then, Mrs. Im?” She hummed back, the lady eyed her warily before speaking.

“Your grandfather and I decided to just let him be, as long as he doesn’t add the woman in our family registry.”

“She has a name, halmae.”

“And what is it?”

Soojin leaned back on her seat, smiling, she also had could not recall her father’s fiancé’s name.

“I’ll see you next week, Soojin. Please send our love to your brother.” The woman said to her, Soojin blew her a kiss before setting her laptop aside, she looked up as the vehicle slowed to a halt.

“We’re here, young miss.” The driver spoke, he slid down from the car to open the door for her, Soojin was careful as she alighted the vehicle, not wanting to dislodge her cast.

“Im Soojin, I’m glad to see you’re finally up on your feet.” Kai greeted her with a playful grin as the driver came around with Soojin’s purse, the other male took it from him.

“I have to get back to work at some point, I don’t trust you.” She added before turning to the driver.

“Thanks for driving me here, ahjussi. I’ll call you this afternoon. You don’t have to stay here.”

“No, the vice president specifically assigned me to you today, young miss. Don’t worry, I’ll stay~”

Kai grinned as the girl shook her head.

“Then, go up with us. It can get too cold here.” Soojin said, the driver nodded with a smile and followed the two.

“How did you meeting with Ceylon go?” Soojin asked Kai as they entered the elevator, the tall male turned to her and let out a sigh.

“I met the son too. Wow.” He said, the doors pinged open and driver Park let them go first. Soojin smirked in reply as they got in their office, Soojin walked to her desk and slowly sat down, she turned to her computer.

“I’m meeting with MinSung in two days, so far, they seem…pliable.” She said to Kai, the male shook off his coat before taking a seat.

“The Yoos?”

“Just one Yoo. The son.” Soojin muttered darkly, Kai let out a chuckle.

“I’m going to pray for him then. Or for you.”

“Don’t start. It’s still too early.” Soojin raised one finger at him as she went through her emails, Kai smiled and leaned over his desk.

“So, Attorney Oh Seri and you go way back?” He suddenly spoke, driver Park looked up from the magazine he was reading.

“Yes. And, no, Jongin. Don’t.”

"Why not?"

"Why yes?"

Jongin stuck his tongue out in reply, Soojin chuckled and went back to reading her emails.

 

 

 

Jisoo smiled as Shownu’s car rolled into the curb, the male slid down from his Urus and walked over to her.

“I hope you aren’t busy, Ara just suddenly called and invited everyone over.” He said before leaning over to kiss her cheek.

“It’s fine, oppa. dinner with everyone seems fun.” She said as he opened the car’s door for her, Shownu tilted his head before speaking.

“You’re probably one of the few who think they’re fun.” He replied, Jisoo turned to him briefly.

“Ara did mention we’re having Japanese cuisine tonight.”

“Only because Soojin requested it, Seri it’s not a big fan of fish.” Shownu supplied, the girl nodded before getting inside the car. Jisoo leaned back on the seat as Shownu drove away from the building.

“Is Soojin doing okay? She went back to work today, right?”

“She did. She can’t drive yet, so, driver Park is with her.” He continued as they reached one of the bigger roads, Jisoo turned her head to him.

“Your personal driver?”

“Yes.”

“Her family…does not employ one?” Jisoo blinked, a little confused, she was in the process of brushing her hair down.

“They do, but driver Park has been with us for a long time, he knows her well.” He replied, he glanced to his left, they were already a couple of minutes away from Ara’s place.

“Ah, really?” Jisoo nodded along and pressed her lips together.

“And, some of their newer staff aren’t used to her yet. But, don’t worry, I’ll be fine without driver Park. It’s only for a few days.” He said as they reached the residential street, Jisoo hummed before speaking.

“A few weeks, oppa. Her arm’s in a cast.” She corrected him, the older male simply chuckled as they entered the Cho property.

“Oppa, Jisoo unnie!” Ara was standing by the doors, the girl looked so at home in her cream-colored wrap dress. Haeyoung was standing right next to her with a lollipop in hand.

“We brought some wine over.” Shownu said as he took out a shopping bag from his trunk, JIsoo was smiling as she gave the girl a quick hug.

“Thanks, oppa.” Ara said as she took the bag from the older male, Jisoo was about to lean down to say hi to Haeyoung but the girl was already waving at the car that just rolled in.

“Haeyoung-ah!” Soojin had rolled down the window as the Rolls Royce vehicle wheeled in, Shownu went down the steps.

“Put your head back in.” He said, Soojin eyed him warily before leaning back into her seat, he grinned as he opened the door for her. Jisoo watched as the male leaned over and stretched one arm to her.

“How was work today?” He asked as he took her bag, Soojin waved at the two women before speaking.

“It was okay,” She answered him, Ara took the girl’s hand as they went up the steps. Shownu spoke to the driver, dismissing him for the night. Haeyoung held on the fabric of Soojin’s pants as they stepped in the house.

“You didn’t really have to indulge me, Ara. I know you’re busy with work and packing for the trip.” Soojin spoke, Ara snorted and shook her head.

“Unnie, I’ve always wanted to host dinner for you, we rarely have you at home.” She reasoned, Soojin smiled and shook her head. Jisoo looked at the two curiously, just as Hyungwon marched up to the Im girl.

“You careless brat.” Hyungwon muttered before enveloping her in a hug, Jisoo’s brows rose, a little weirded out by it. But Soojin simply hugged Chaerin’s husband back and patted his arm.

“I wasn’t being careless.” She pointed, Hyungwon let go of her, Chaerin was smiling by the dining table as she waved them over.

“I made you your favorites, what do you feel like having?” She asked as she pointed towards the huge spread on the table, Shownu took his usual seat, Changkyun appeared by the staircase.

“Seri noona and her boyfriend have just arrived.” He announced as he sauntered over to them, Soojin exhaled before taking her seat beside Hyunwoo.

“Play nice.” She said under her breath, the older male glanced at her, unamused.

“Your doctor said that you needed at least a week off work.”

“I can’t afford that.” She pointed out while leaning over to fix the collar of his shirt.

“Right, I need you to sign a couple of documents for me. For, you know.” He quietly said, Soojin nodded back, not giving it much thought. Jisoo’s eyes went to the two briefly, Ara was showing her the dishes the hired chef had prepared for them.

“Things with Baekho are okay? He called when I was at the hospital, it was nice of him to check on me.” Soojin said as Haeyoung and Hyungwon sat across them.

“I don’t know, I haven’t spoken to him since that meeting. But, I guess no news is good news?” He trailed off, the two turned their heads as they heard Ara welcome Bohyun and Seri into the home.

“I agree. When do you need those papers signed?” She asked as she picked up a crab leg, then the girl grimaced, realizing she only had one functioning hand. Hyunwoo chuckled and took it from her, he started cracking the leg. Jisoo sat down on his other side, her hand landing on his arm.

“There’s no rush. I just meant to tell you before you get busy.”

“Busy over what? I only have to meet MinSun this week.”

“With the festivities, Butterscotch.” He looked at her with a teasing grin, Jisoo pressed her lips together as the male put the crab meat on the Soojin’s plate.

“Your father’s engagement?” He supplied, teasing. Soojin’s eyes narrowed before speaking.

“It won’t be so festive for you if I pirate driver Park.”

“You wouldn’t. That would hurt me.” Hyunwoo chimed back, amused. Seri and Bohyun had reached the table and already took their seats. Soojin paused at his words, her eyes went to him.

“Exactly.” She shrugged him off and started eating, Hyunwoo grinned and turned to Jisoo.

“Do you need help with the crab too?”

 

 

 

“Young master.”

The MinSung son smiled as he removed his helmet and set it down on the space behind him. He kicked his motorbike’s stand before alighting the vehicle.

“I really wish you’d stop calling me that, ahjussi.” He spoke to the groom, the man only smiled and took his jacket.

“How’s Lori?” Christian asked as they walked into the club, employees greeted him with familiarity as he passed by.

“She misses you, it’s been weeks since you last visited. We missed you at the last competition, sir.”

“You thought I’d be at that event? And have people stare at me again?” Chrisitian said good-naturedly as they walked to the stables, his groom chuckled and shook his head.

“Director Moon’s wife once wanted to have me escorted out because I wore a short-sleeved shirt, ahjussi. I think I’m done with events now.” He said while making a face, they reached Lori and Christian smiled.

“She was ignored because your family has been part of the club since the beginning, please don’t listen to the newcomers who have not contributed anything, sir.”

Christian grimaced at his words but he focused on his Thoroughbred instead.

“Are you going out for a ride today, sir? We already took care of that tree by the gazebo.”

“Tree?” Chrisitan tilted his head as the male started strapping the saddle on Lori.

“Yes, I’m not sure if you heard, but something big happened here about a week ago. The KangSan daughter fell off her horse, it was because she didn’t notice that she was riding too close~”

“To the tree?” Christian finished for him; the male nodded back.

“Yes, but the young miss is an experienced rider. A lot of the staff were surprised about it, we’re all worried about her.”

“You mean Im Soojin? She was my patient.” Christian mused as he got on the horse, Lori chuffed slightly.

“Really? How is she?”

“She just got discharged, ahjussi. You can tell her fans to stop worrying, she’s fine and even fought me when I suggested more tests.” The young doctor was smiling as he held on the reins, he leaned down to brush his fingers on the horse’s mane.

“Then, you really must have met her.”

“I just said so.”

“She’s very beautiful, right? A lot of other members have been trying to catch her here ever since she got back. But, it’s always been a little difficult to approach the young miss.”

“You just said she’s quite popular, now you’re turning her into a snob.”

“I don’t mean that, young miss Im has always been approachable. But, it can get quite difficult to actually approach her.”

Christian fixed his sweater, he grew amused as the male continued to prattle on.

“Why? Does she bite?”

“No. It’s just that, she’s always around the YooMin family, specifically the two sons. They grew up together, and she’s always been close with the eldest son. Some guys can get intimidated by that.”

Christian tilted his head, trying to recall the male that was with the girl on the day of her discharge.

“Young master Son Hyunwoo. Well, they say he’s the reason why her suitors back away.”

“Are they~”

“No, they never got together. They’re just two best friends. Why? Are you interested?” The male grinned at him, teasing. Christian chuckled and shook his head.

“I enjoy not having headaches, I’ll get going now, ahjussi.” He mused before tugging on the reins, Lori started trotting away from the stables, the stableman chuckled under his breath.

“But he’s already interested.” He mused to himself before going back to the main building.

 

 

 

“So, we have an idea.” Chaerin began as Seri refilled her glass, the girls were at the terrace, enjoying the chilly air.

“No, she has an idea. And I think we’re all required to follow.” Seri pointed out, Soojin grinned and shook her head.

“Okay, I’ll bite.” Soojin mused, Chaerin took out her phone and showed the photo she had saved.

“Pink, blue and green. Powerpuff Girls?” Soojin was already laughing, Seri let out a sigh and shook off her heels.

“Well, since we all are coming to that sports lounge opening, right? I think it’s cute.” She said as she zoomed on the photo again, examining the silk dresses.

“I’m in if they have my size. Is that Bottega?” Soojin replied, Seri sighed again but she simply nodded to Chaerin’s pleading look.

“It is. Well, it won’t be released yet till next year, but I’ll order for us!” Chaerin happily said as she typed on away, Soojin turned back to the house, she spotted Hyungwon and Hyunwoo chatting by the fireplace, while Changkyun and Bohyun were enjoying a round of pool. Her eyes went to Jisoo and Ara, the two were seated at the living room.

“See, I don’t like that.” Chaerin stated, Soojin faced her.

“Huh?”

“He brought her here, it means they’re serious. I don’t like that.” Chaerin said as she picked up another piece of chocolate.

“They’ve been…serious for quite some time.” Seri pointed out, Chaerin rolled her eyes and looked to Soojin instead, but the girl was already standing up and walking back into the home.

“I don’t think you’ll win her over, she’s actually okay with Jisoo.” Seri teasingly said, Mrs. Chae scoffed in reply.

Hyunwoo looked up as he noticed Soojin approaching the girl grinned at him.

“I don’t see Haeyoung.” She commented as she looked around the living room, she hooked arms with her friend.

“She fell asleep earlier, she’s napping in Ara’s room.” Hyungwon said as he lifted his beer to his mouth, the girl nodded back and leaned against Hyunwoo’s side.

“I was thinking about that Bandai offered you mentioned, I haven’t fully read it yet, but,” She paused, narrowing her eyes as she tried to recall.

“Hey, no work talk. It’s okay.”

“It’s not even work, Son Hyunwoo. I did have the time to review it at the hospital,” She continued, her brows went up briefly.

“I made some calls, some of my colleagues from Japan did tell me they could check on it, give me a few days.” Soojin continued, Hyungwon grinned at her.

“I feel like I’ve done more work for YooMin than KangSan.” She said to herself, Hyunwoo chuckled before patting her hand.

“I’ll get going. My arm is starting throb.” Soojin murmured as she tried to flex her shoulder again, Hyungwon nodded in reply.

“I asked driver Park to go home. I’ll drive you home. Just let me talk to Jisoo for a bit.” Hyunwoo said, the girl nodded and watched as he jogged over to his girlfriend. Ara glanced up from her drink as the older male joined them.

“Hey, will you be okay if I stepped out for a bit?” Shownu asked Jisoo, the girl paused, confused.

“Where are you going?”

“Soojin’s going first, I already asked the driver to leave. I’ll just drop her off and go back here.” Shownu said with a smile.

“But her brother’s here, oppa.” Jisoo pointed out, Ara paused, her eyes going to Changkyun. Shownu titled his head briefly, his forehead furrowing.

“I’ll still drive back here, don’t~”

“Thank you so much for hosting, Ara. You’re the best.” Soojin strode towards them, the younger girl broke into a smile and hugged her. Jisoo’s eyes went to Soojin briefly, but the girl was looking at Shownu.

“I’ll wait in the car.” She said softly before excusing herself, she waved goodbye to Seri and her brother, not bothering to meet Bohyun’s gaze as she exited the living room. Ara chewed on her lip as her eyes travelled back to Jisoo, she could sense the tension coming from the girl. But, Shownu would never say no to Changkyun’s sister. It didn’t work that way.

“Jisoo, I~”

“Thanks for having me, Ara. Let’s do this again soon.” Jisoo turned to the younger girl, Ara started to panic, she met Changkyun’s eyes.

“Unnie, it~”

“I’ll call for a cab.” Jisoo said with a smile as she stood up and showed herself to the doors, Ara stood up, clueless.

“Oppa, I~”

Shownu puffed his cheeks and walked after the girl, Chaerin was smiling as she hopped towards Ara, looking pleased.

“Unnie, I…think I just witnessed~”

“I know, I heard everything.” Chaerin hummed, Changkyun joined the two, looking confused.

“What was that?”

“Should I drive Soojin unnie home instead? I mean, it looked…serious.” Ara said worriedly, Chaerin was still grinning then they heard Shownu’s Urus roar to life, and it slowly sped away from the house. Ara padded towards the windows and saw a taxi arriving by the gates. She watched as Jisoo got inside the vehicle and it drove out of the property.

Ara was wide-eyed as she faced her boyfriend, Changkyun was frowning while Chaerin was already back to the table, enjoying another bowl of udon.

“What? She was never going to win that one.” Chaerin said as she felt the two looking at her.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++