011

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

Jisoo was still staring at the toddler as she wriggled free from Soojin’s grasp, and then she ran towards Hyungwon.

“Haeyoung-ah, are you happy auntie Soo is back?” Seri cleared , speaking a little loudly. Haerin glanced at her friend oddly.

“Auntie Soo!” Haeyoung repeated with a grin and Hyungwon kissed her cheek, Soojin grinned at the child.

“This is Haeyoung, my niece.” Shownu said as he walked towards his girlfriend, Jisoo blinked a few times before nodding along.

“She’s so pretty.” Jisoo recovered before giving the child a wave.

“She’s my favorite daughter.” Soojin announced as she started taking out some plates and saucers.

“I gave birth to her, but apparently she’s her daughter too.” Haerin nodded along, amused, she stretched her arms to Haeyoung, the girl beamed before jumping towards her mother.

“So, how’s the food coming along?” Hyungwon spoke while sending Soojin a long look, the girl blinked back at him.

“But, how come you don’t know Haeyoung? Did you not tell Jisoo about Haeyoung?” Soojin blurted out, her brows furrowed. Jisoo chewed on the insides of her cheeks as the two friends stared at each other.

“The..opportunity never came up. And, Haeyoung was homeschooled, right?” Shownu stated, Haerin shrugged at her cousin, not wanting to comment. She simply waddled away with her daughter, probably heading to the living room to watch some TV.

“I’ll..go freshen up.” Jisoo said with a small smile and excused herself. Soojin exhaled and turned to her friend, Hyungwon grinned and leaned against the counter.

“This is going to be intense.” Seri murmured, the Chae heir chuckled.

“And interesting.”

“Hey,” Soojin said as she set the plates down, the sauce was already done and she was waiting for it to cool.

“How could you not..introduce her all these years? No, how could you not tell her about that?”

“Jisoo hasn’t been to any of the family parties too.” Hyungwon commented, Shownu warily glanced at him.

“Did I read it wrong? Three years?” Soojin raised three fingers at him, Shownu exhaled, he picked up a breadstick before replying.

“I was worried that it would be too soon and I’d scare her off.”

“Three years.” Soojin repeated while blinking at him, Hyungwon grinned and left the kitchen.

“I’m sure oppa has his reasons, be nice.” Seri elbowed her friend, Soojin pursed her lips and met his gaze evenly.

“I just…It didn’t occur to me that it would be a big deal, she’s my niece and..nothing’s going to change that.” Shownu trailed off, Soojin sighed in reply and began pouring the sauce into another pan.

“But she’s your girlfriend, and you two are kind of serious. Maybe it’s…I don’t know. I just..” Soojin scrunched her nose.

“You what?”

“She seemed uncomfortable. Talk to her.” Soojin finished and crossed her arms, Shownu’s forehead creased at her reply.

“But, she’s going to be at halmae Son’s party, I think that’s a good step.” Seri offered, trying to soften the blow.

“Well, I think you better prep her for that.” Soojin finally grinned and Shownu relaxed, she slapped his arm as she sidestepped him.

“Haeyoung-ah, want to help auntie Soo set the table?” She called out, to which Hyungwon answered with a no.

“How come you guys didn’t tell me this?” Shownu grumbled, a little peeved at being called out. Seri chuckled and took out the finished breads from the oven.

“Not everyone has the guts to tell you to do things, oppa, or even call you out.” Seri mused at him, Shownu sighed and went after Jisoo.

 

 

 

Jisoo puffed her cheeks as she leaned back into the couch, she heard the doors open behind her.

“I’m sorry,” Shownu stated as he sat down beside her, Jisoo glanced at him.

“I didn’t know it…No, it just never crossed my mind to tell you about Haeyoung. And no, it’s not that she’s not important to me. She is.” Shownu said quickly, Jisoo nodded back.

“I kind of got that from earlier.”

Shownu smiled to himself before continuing.

“She’s turning five next year and, they decided to homeschool her instead of sending her to an academy. But, that’s going to change next month. Hyungwon…he’s pretty protective of her.”

“Bodyguards?”

“Yes. The Chaes are serious on security. Again, I’m sorry. And it’s not that I thought you were a danger to her, I just..simply..didn’t think that it’d be a problem. But now I see that it is.” He murmured as brought her hand to his lips.

“I was just..stunned that you never mentioned her to me, although, I do understand Haerin not telling me about her. Your cousin…can be a little difficult.” Jisoo trailed off, unsure. Shownu glanced at her with raised brows.

“You know, you’re not the first person to say that.” He let out a small chuckle, Jisoo smiled and looked at her lap.

“You were ambushed here, huh?”

“Yes, I woke up to loud noises from the kitchen, I walked in on them already making food. I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine, it’s cute how you are a tight group.”

The doors creaked open and the couple looked up, Changkyun had a slight grimace before speaking.

“Hyung, they sent me to here to tell you that food’s ready and,”

“And?” Shownu stood up and pulled Jisoo with him, she gave Changkyun a small wave.

“Seri noona thinks you need to get a new oven.”

“What’s wrong with the one I have now?” He humored back as they left the room.

“She’s not a fan of the small digital screen..or something.” The younger Im continued as they reached the dining hall again, Jisoo watched as the two males walked ahead of her, she paused by the stairs and watched as Soojin and Hyungwon chat by the counter, Seri had Haeyoung in her arms while Ara was braiding the child’s hair.

“I know, but I can’t exactly just pre-approve the whole thing, I don’t…I think I’ll have to meet up with them again.” Soojin continued with a frown, Hyungwon chuckled.

“But no problems with MinSung Hospitals?” He queried, Soojin nodded in reply.

Jisoo pressed her lips together, they were a tight group. A close circle. And she’s been friends with them for three years now, but somehow, she still felt like an outsider. She knew they saw her differently, they can try to hide it with nice words, but Jisoo simply just knew.

“Food’s ready!” Haerin walked in while holding a salad bowl, her husband took it from her.

“Finally.” Ara let out a huge sigh as she trained after the older girl, Jisoo exhaled as she watched her boyfriend’s cousin strode out to the garden.

Her friends were wrong, Soojin was not going to be a problem. Haerin was.

Haerin and her ways.

 

 

 

Soojin drummed her fingers on her desk as her mother continued to prattle on, she was just waiting for her eyeliner to dry. She had to be at the Son residence in about an hour for grandma Son’s party.

“Remember when I told you about not going to Lake Como this time of the~”

“Yes, I do.”

“Well, I changed my mind, it has~”

“Eomma, why did you call really?”

There was a short pause, and Soojin had to stop herself from rolling her eyes.

“I heard your father’s getting married.” She said in an accusing tone, Soojin let out a breath before speaking.

“Yes, he is.”

“Have you met her?”

“I have.” She started brushing through her hair, not really getting where the conversation was going.

“So, is she~”

“Eomma, why are you asking about her? You were the one who cheated on abeoji, I don’t think you should be using that tone on me.” Soojin countered, her mother grew quiet.

“Are you being impatient with me?” Her mother shot back, Soojin finally let herself roll her eyes.

“I already told you that I was heading out when you called, I thought you wanted to check on me or Changkyun, but you just want to gossip. And talk about yourself.”

The lady from the other end grew silent again.

“Very well, send my regards to Hyunwoo.”

Soojin exhaled and put her phone away, she loved the woman, yes. But sometimes she really had no limits or boundaries.

“Eomma called?” Changkyun was lingering by the door, the girl rolled her eyes at the mirror. The younger male chuckled before stepping into the room.

“She was asking about father’s…bride.” Soojin stated as she ran her fingers through her hair slightly curled locks, her brother nodded back before plopping down on the couch.

“They’re planning to have a baby together, do you know that?”

Soojin grimaced and Changkyun let out a laugh before she replied.

“Well, now I do. But I really preferred that I didn’t.”

“You don’t mind?”

“Well, if they do have…they’re successful in that..conquest,” She continued as she patted down lipstick, not liking how bright it was.

“Ah, I almost forgot how good you are with words, noona.”

“At the end of the day, the child is still our sibling, I don’t mind. As long as the baby will be raised by our family, not hers. We’re more than capable to support another Im, right?”

“As long as the child is an Im.” Changkyun mused in reply, Soojin snorted and shook her head.

“That too.” She hummed back as she stood up and fixed the dress she was wearing. She had opted to go for a red off-shoulder dress, perfect for the garden party Grandma Son had going on for tonight.

“Things with Ara are good?”

“Yes. We’re actually planning a trip next month.”

“That sounds nice, where?”

“So, going on a trip is okay?”

“What am I, your mother? Of course, you can go.” She sent him a look, Changkyun sat up, careful not to crease the linen suit he was wearing.

“It’s a two week trip, and…something may or may not come up at work. And the office does know you’re in town, noona. So…So, they might call you when there are things they cannot take care of.”

There was a short pause before Soojin nodded along.

“That’s okay, as long as you get your asses back here, I’ll warm your seat for you.”

“It’s your seat too.”

“It’s a seat, Changkyun. We can’t possibly share.”

“Noona, there are seats!” The younger male let out an exasperated groan, he knew that having this talk with his sister was pointless. But he had to try anyways.

“Really? Well, you should go and pick up Ara now.” She gave him a dismal wave before disappearing into her closet.

 

 

 

Jisoo pressed her lips together as Shownu took her hand in his, they had just arrived at the family estate minutes ago. And she was still not over how beautiful the house, no, the mansion was. The house’s exterior was heavily inspired by traditional Korean houses, but in a grander scale. They had a drive in curb too. Her eyes roamed the well-lit lush gardens, and the servers running around with food. As soon as they entered the garden, she could not help but gape at everything. From the gazebo, the fountains, and the koi pond.

“Hyunwoo,”

She paused just as a middle-aged lady approached them, Shownu smiled beside her before greeting the woman with a kiss on the cheek.

“Eomma, this is Jisoo.” He spoke, Jisoo swallowed and focused her gaze on the lady, she smiled before speaking.

“Good evening, Mrs. Son. Thanks for having me.”

“It’s nice to finally meet you. Although, I don’t get why my son took this long for us to be introduced, I hope he didn’t tell bad stories about me.” She said jovially as she shook the girl’s hand, Jisoo smiled back, surprised by her warmth.

Maybe her worrying and panicking over meeting the Sons was pointless.

“Abeoji?”

“Your father’s still on his way, something came up with the Tokyo office, he’ll be here soon. Why don’t you show her around?”

Shownu nodded, the elder excused herself before walking back to the house, Jisoo didn’t miss how a young lady dressed in a suit followed her.

“Some of the guests have arrived, I think. We can talk to them later.” Shownu spoke, pressed his palm on her lower back. She let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding, his brows rose at that.

“See? I told you there was nothing to worry about.” He chuckled and kissed the side of her head.

“I..still can’t believe you grew up here. This isn’t a home, Shownu. This is a mansion.”

The male gave her a bemused look before shaking his head.

“Halbae loved gardening. Halmae never cared for flowers, but she’s had it maintained ever since he passed. Even the house was all his idea.”

“It’s beautiful.” She said as she turned towards the house again, her eyes went to Seri, she noticed the unfamiliar tall male beside her.

“Would you like a tour? I can~”

“Hyunwoo-ah,”

Jisoo turned and paused, her eyes went to her boyfriend and then she saw him break into a smile.

“Halmae,” He chuckled before leaning over to hug the lady, Jisoo chewed on her lower lip, the woman has not even looked at her direction.

“I heard from your mother that you didn’t arrive alone. Good.” She stated, Shownu chuckled and gestured towards Jisoo.

“Yes, halmae, this is Jisoo. Jisoo, this is my grandmother.”

Jisoo didn’t know if she should cursty, or bow, or do both. But the lady gave her a tight-lipped smile.

“It’s nice to finally see you, I’ve only heard rumors about you.” She said, Shownu grinned and wrapped one arm around the elder.

“Halmae, you listen to rumors now?”

“Well, you’ve given me no choice. I don’t see Baekho seeing someone, and you didn’t seem like planning to introduce your lady friend to us.”

“Girlfriend.” Shownu chimed in, still teasing.

Jisoo couldn’t help but smile as she watched them, she had no idea that Shownu was close with the family elders.

“I heard my name.” Another voice joined in, Jisoo tensed just as a tall frame walked past her. Baekho smiled as he greeted the elder with a kiss on the cheek.

“You came alone.” Mrs. Son rolled her eyes, Shownu smiled and slowly pulled away.

“I did. But I didn’t walk in alone, halmae.” He mused at her, his eyes went to Jisoo and he gave her a small welcoming smile.

“Nice seeing you here, noona.” She spoke, Jisoo wordlessly nodded back.

“What do you mean~”

Grandma Son! Hi!

Jisoo looked up, Soojin was walking towards them, her gait so casual and at ease. It took her a few seconds to realize why that was, the girl was probably familiar with her surroundings. She was relaxed to be around the Sons.

“S—Soojin-ah?” Mrs. Son’s eyes widened, and then a full smile appeared on her lips.

“I saw her arrive, I helped noona up the stairs, her heels were giving a hard time.” Baekho mused just as Soojin greeted the elder with a big hug, Jisoo stepped aside.

“It’s been so long, my baby. How have you been? When did you get here? How come no one told me?” At her last sentence, her questioning glare went to her eldest grandson, Shownu looked away.

“Just a few weeks ago, and sorry I didn’t visit, halmae. I’m actually here for work. And, I did ask Hyunwoo not to tell anyone yet.” She sheepishly said before giving Baekho a quick hug.

That stunned Jisoo, she did not expect that from Soojin. She thought that the girl was close with Shownu, why was she all chummy with his greedy cousin?

“It’s good to see you again, noona.” Baekho mused before kissing her cheek.

“Same here.” Soojin mused, she turned to Jisoo and grinned at her.

“I hope Hyunwoo already introduced you to everyone. He tends to hog all your intention, keeping you to himself. Not fun.” She said, Jisoo could only smile back at her, suddenly sensing the elder’s gaze on her.

“I’ll go get us something to drink. Im Soo?” Hyunwoo suddenly cleared his throat, the girl looked up just as Shownu gave her a one armed hug.

“Nothing for me.”

“Soojin-ah, join me by the veranda. I have snacks prepared.” Mrs. Son spoke before moving away from the group. Baekho excused himself as his phone started ringing.

“How did it go?” She mouthed at her friend, Shownu simply winked at her.

Soojin chuckled back in reply before padding after the elder, not noticing the amount of appreciative stares she was getting from the other guests.

“That was okay, right?” Shownu said as he took Jisoo’s hand in his.

“Your grandmother scares me.” She grumbled back as she took the champagne from him.

“She likes you.” Shownu chuckled as he led them to their table, not seeing the troubled look on his mother’s face as she watched them from across the party.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++