021

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

“Did I get you in trouble?” Soojin asked as they neared the Im house, Hyunwoo glanced at her briefly and shook his head.

“It’s fine.”

“I know it’s not. But I really just want to go home.” She said, unapologetic, the older male snorted as he eased in the property.

“She’s not at ease around us, you know. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed.” Soojin said as the car pulled to a full stop, Hyunwoo faced her, his forehead creasing.

“Chaerin scares her.”

“Assuming that you’re cousin is the reason is kind of on brand for you, but,” Soojin grinned as she put her phone back on her purse.

“I think Jisoo’s just..uncomfortable, that’s it. I mean, we’re all used to each other, maybe she’s not at that..level yet.” She shrugged at him, Hyunwoo wordlessly slid down from the vehicle, he walked to other side of the car and opened the door for her.

“You mean there’s nothing you can do to help, my dear Butterscotch?” He cooed as he helped her down, Soojin grimaced and swatted him away.

“I can try. I already am trying.” She said as she crossed her arms, Hyunwoo nodded along as he gently tugged her skirt down.

“I know, thanks for that, Im Soo.”

“Anyway, I have to meet a client tomorrow, so I’ll make sure those papers will get to you before lunch.” She said as they walked up the front door, one of the Im house staff was already waiting for her.

“No rush, it’s not a big deal.”

“Hyunwoo-ah, I…I know we’ve had this arrangement for years now. Are you…And, you have plans to marry, are you sure we…Are you sure you should still continue this?” She asked, Hyunwoo’s forehead crumpled. Soojin leaned against the doorframe, they had started the arrangement almost ten years ago. It was first suggested as a joke by the Oh siblings, both were still studying to be lawyers that time. Soojin didn’t really expect for her friend to give much thought to it, but he did.

Their arrangement was that, to protect Hyunwoo from his aunt and cousin, a percentage of his shares and assets was transferred to Soojin’s name. Most YooMin shareholders had no idea of this arrangement, and even the Sons were clueless about it. At first, Soojin was appalled by the whole thing, the girl only agreed to it if she also did the same, so, some of her assets were also put under Hyunwoo’s name. And, every three or four years, Seri did update the documents and it always required their signatures.

“Looking back, we really did not think it through, huh?” She mused, Hyunwoo exhaled before leaning down to press his forehead against her shoulder.

“Hah. Now that’s for you to figure out, I’ll sign the papers and hand them over tomorrow. But, before you even think about reserving a place to propose, fix it.” She threatened the male, but she was smiling as she patted his back.

“I will. Does this mean I am nothing to KangSan now?” He made a face as he pulled away from her, Soojin grimaced before gesturing towards his car.

“KangSan will always be open to you, as long as you take my position there.” She hummed, the older male chortled.

“Sure, like I’d fall into that trap.”

Soojin stuck her tongue out in reply.

“Thank you for driving me home, please go back to Ara’s place now and drive Jisoo back to her place.”

Hyunwoo chuckled, not wanting to tell her that Jisoo had already left and she was probably angry with him.

“Rest up.” Hyunwoo called out as he jogged back to his car, Soojin nodded and watched as the Urus sped away from the property, she exhaled and turned towards the house.

 

 

 

“Your sister’s still asleep?” Seri asked as she walked in the dinig room, Changkyun looked up from his coffee, amused. Now that his sister was home it was common to have Seri or Chaerin over, usually unannounced.

“Probably, noona. She doesn’t have much work today. I think she just has this lunch with a client.” He stated as the older girl sat down, she was immediately served coffee and her own dining set.

“You…You noticed that last night, right?” Seri begun, the youngest Im paused before nodding.

“I did, but my first reaction…was nothing. I’m already used to my sister bossing hyung around, but then I realized hyung has a girlfriend.” Changkyun shook his head as he picked up his chospticks.

“Exactly, it’s already bag enough that Chaerin seems to encourage it.”

“Well, Chaerin noona is~”

“Oh Seri, good morning.” Soojin walked in, she was already dressed for the day. A black Balmain blazer dress and a pair of heels. She somehow made it work with her arm still in a cast and sling.

“Where are you going?”

“Remember these?” She raised the envelop in her hand, Seri grinned and nodded.

“I have to turn this over to Hyunwoo this morning, so I am meeting him at…that fitness place.” She said as she sat down, Changkyun helped fill her plate.

“It’s good to update it, we’ll never know what happens.”

“His aunt I don’t trust, Baekho…maybe forty percent.” Soojin said with a shrug as she started eating.

“Hey, last night, did Shownu oppa drive you home?”

“He did, why?”

“Soojin-ah, Jisoo…and him came together.” Seri said, Changkyun looked at his sister in between bites.

“Didn’t he come back? He did tell me that he~”

“No, Soojin-ah. Jisoo left at the same time as you did. She got a cab and walked out.” Seri sighed and put her spoon down, Soojin’s forehead creased and she looked up.

“But why would she take a cab?”

Seri exhaled, while Soojin’s brother looked away.

“They kind of…had an argument before you guys left, I think Jisoo got uncomfortable when you asked him to drive you home. You know what I mean, right?” Seri said as she spread some butter on her toast.

“Why did they argue?” Soojin looked up from her food and poured herself some coffee.

“Soojin-ah, you demanded that he take you home. Maybe, Jisoo doesn’t understand how~”

“Would you rather I stayed longer last night while my arm was killing me? Since when did these things become a bother?” Soojin replied, keeping her tone light. Changkyun paused, a little alarmed.

“You know what I mean, things are different now. We all know that Jisoo is special to him, and he~”

“I know that. So, I don’t get the point why I’m getting flak just because I wanted to be driven home. Changkyun’s girlfriend was hosting, so, it would be rude if I ask him to drive me back. Bohyun was there with you, would you like it if I dragged you out to drive me home? And why would I ask Chaerin and Hyungwon when Haeyoung still napping?”

“You have a point, but~”

“I have to go. I’ll see you at my father’s engagement party, right?” Soojin stood up, giving Seri a small smile.

“Yes, I’ll be there.” Seri said, Changkyun was about to speak but his sister had already left the room. Minutes later they heard the familiar hum of the Rolls Royce as it left the property.

“That’s…going to be a complication.” He said as he looked at the older girl.

“I don’t think this adjustment is going to go well.” Seri mused back, Changkyun chuckled and shook his head.

“My sister is already so used to hyung giving in to her always, it even took me a while to see what went wrong last night.”

“Growing up, Shownu oppa never said no to her, so maybe he’s at fault too.”

 

 

 

“Why are you here?” Christian grimaced as his friend hurried over to his side, Bohyun chuckled and slung one arm around his neck.

“I didn’t expect you’d be here today, no work?” Bohyun said as he adjusted his shirt, the two males stepped out of the locker rooms together.

“Yes and no, I have a work thing later.”

“Work thing? Is that what you call it now? Or did uncle force you into another blind date again?”

Christian eyed his friend warily as he pushed the doors open, they walked in the gym together, the area was half full and upbeat music was playing softly in the background.

“It’s actually work, now, go away and work out.” He said to him, Bohyun grinned and the two males approached the treadmills. Ian shed off his hoodie and adjusted the black shirt he had on as he started the machine.

“Oh, hello.” Bohyun suddenly spoke while waving at someone down the room, Christian followed his gaze.

“It’s one of Seri’s friends, the YooMin VP.” Bohyun said to him, Ian nodded along, the male did seem familiar.

“Right, I saw her last night. The hot friend.” Bohyun continued, Christian grimaced and put his headphones on.

“Come on, I was simply having fun. I didn’t know they were friends.”

“Don’t talk to me,” Christian muttered as he toggled with the treadmill’s buttons and he broke into a light jog. Bohyun made a face at him and started to warm up as well. The young doctor was about to start playing music when the doors slid open again, his brows went up in surprise.

“Oh!” Bohyun had pressed the red button as soon as he saw her, Christian winced to himself. Soojin had walked in, capturing the attention of half the people in the hall. She was holding onto a brown envelop as she wandered around. Her eyes landed on him then briefly went to Bohyun.

“Doctor Yoo.” She broke into a smile, Christian could feel his friend’s eyes on him. And yet, he couldn’t look away from her.

Whoa, she is pretty.

“It’s been a while.” Christian said as he slowed his pace and took off his earphones.

“You two know each other, Soojin-ssi?” Bohyun in the conversation, and Christian was not surprised.

“Yes.” Her answer was short and curt and his friend didn’t seem to notice.

“What brings you here, Soojin-ssi? Are you planning to~”

“I have an appointment for next week, do you think you could…get rid of this?” Soojin turned to Christian again, the male smiled, realizing she was pointing towards her sling.

“You mean remove it? I’ll have to check first, but I don’t think it’s time to remove the sling. I’m sure the cast~”

“But it doesn’t work well with my outfits. Plus, I have this party to attend to next week, it would look weird.” Soojin continued to mutter in English, Bohyun could only glance between the two.

I’m sorry, dear. There’s nothing I can do about it.” Chrisitan said, his eyes widened briefly at the use of the terminology.

You can do something about it. You can take it off earlier, or better, have it sawed~

“Im Soo.” Another voice chimed in, Christian was smiling at the girl as she exhaled and turned her head, it was the male Bohyun had greeted earlier.

“I ran into Christian..and him.” Soojin jutted her lips at Bohyun, Christian caught how the other male’s gaze darted over to Bohyun briefly, the expression on his face wary.

“Hyunwoo, this is doctor Yoo. Christian Yoo. Ian, this is my friend, Son Hyunwoo.” She made quick introductions. Christian stepped down from the treadmill and shook hands with the male.

“It’s nice to meet you..again.” Shownu politely said, the male nodded back.

“Yes, same here.”

“I could have done the introductions. Barom and I go way back.” Bohyun chimed in, Christian nodded along at his words, kind of regretting their friendship.

“Yoo Barom, is it?” Soojin said, still refusing to look at Bohyun.

I grew up in Australia, sometimes I think people forget that I have a Korean name.” He let his accent slip out, the girl nodded in reply before handing the envelop to the male beside her.

“Should we skim over this?” Hyunwoo softly asked, nudging her good arm, Soojin nodded before facing them again.

“We’ll get going then. And please, consider.” Soojin raised her injured arm again, but Christian simply shook his head, his eyes going to bandage on her head, it looked like her bruises were healing nicely.

“Not sawing that. Yet.” He mused while shaking his head, he felt Bohyun nudging him, and he ignored it.

“I’ll see you next week then.” Soojin made a face before turning away from him, ignoring Bohyun’s wave.

“Then, see you around.” The YooMin vice president said to them before stepping away, Christian watched as he joined Soojin, the two were chatting as they stepped out of the hall. Christian turned to his friend again.

“I think you’ve been..found out. You…be careful.”

“What are you talking about? Seri likes me, and her friends can’t do anything about it.” Bohyun hummed at him, Christian sighed and grabbed his hoodie.

“I’m going to go swim, stay away from Seri’s friends, please.” He said to him, Bohyun rolled his eyes as his friend walked away. Christian was about to exit the doors when Soojin appeared again, she was grinning at him.

Hey.” He blurted out.

“They don’t allow women down there. I have to go and wait outside.” She sheepishly said, Christian blinked and looked down the hallway, he let out a chuckle.

This is an all-male fitness gym, of course.” He mused at her as he held the door for the girl.

I’ll walk you out, come on.” He tilted his head at her, Soojin nodded back, Christian let the doors close, and the girl kept pace with him.

“I hope you’re not having a hard time going about your daily tasks.” He switched to Korean as they left the hall, he gestured towards her injured arm.

“It’s not the most comfortable, but I can manage.” She replied, at ease.

“Bohyun mentioned that he’s…seeing your friend, I hope that doesn’t make things weird. I’ve known him since we were children, and I know he can be~”

“I see he’s mentioned me. The “me” before he found out that I’m good friends with his girlfriend.” Soojin stated, Christian winced but he nodded at her.

Can I be honest with you?

Please.” He replied, he saw Shownu stepped out the doors, he was already dressed in jeans and a shirt, he had his jacket hanging over one shoulder.

Why is someone like you friends with him?” She blurted out, her eyes widened briefly, as if realizing what she’d just asked.

I didn’t mean to…word it like that but…He seems…You and him seem so different?” She offered, Christian started laughing and shook his head.

It’s nice of you to ask, I’ve been wondering the same thing. But yeah, I’m not so sure too. Assuming that you don’t see me negatively.

Of course, I don’t. I need you to like me so that you’d remove my cast, remember? I’m talking about your friend; I really can’t stand him.” She whispered; Christian was about to reply but Shownu had reached them.

“Soojin-ah,”

I have to get going, it was nice to see you. Please don’t tell Bohyun I talked about him. Seri might kill me.” She said, her tone teasing, Christian nodded, playing along.

I won’t.

 

 

 

Soojin leaned back on her seat, she had one AirPod on.

“You’re off to lunch with MinSung Pharma?”

“I should have done research on them first, I thought they only ran hospitals, now they’re a pharmaceutical group?”

“Why? You’ve never heard of them before?” Kai replied, the male was back at the office, proofreading some of the documents Ceylon Telco had forwarded, he was to meet with Bohyun and his father the following day.

“I know of MinSung Pharma, but I didn’t know that MinSung Pharma is MinSung Hospitals.” She muttered, she glanced at the windows briefly.

“Right, are you free next week? It’s my father’s engagement and they’re throwing this big party.”

“I can be your date.” He countered with a chuckle.

“Please keep us both out of trouble, Jongin.” She chuckled as she tried to wiggle her fingers, there was still a slight throbbing pain going up and down her arm, which was normal.

“I’ll be there. I’ll see you this afternoon?”

“Yes, I’ll head back right after this one.” Soojin murmured, she looked at her phone again and dialed for her father’s secretary, the male answered after a couple of rings.

“Young miss, what can I do for you?”

“Hi, I know you have a lot on your plate right now, ahjussi. It got me thinking, can I have a copy of the guest list?”

“Yes?”

“I know abeoji and his woman invited a lot of people, and surely, there’s a seating plan, right?” She asked, the male grew quiet before speaking, Soojin could hear him typing on his computer.

“Yes, there is one. Their organizer just submitted it today. Would you like me to send you a copy?” He offered.

“Yes, please. I’d like to double check it, we wouldn’t want what another petty fight breaking out, right? Remember from six years ago? Director Moon’s wife and that Woori Banking Chairman’s wife arguing over whose was more accomplished?” She let out a laugh, her father’s secretary chuckled.

“It was quite the scandal, young miss. Thank you for offering to check, I’ll email it to you right away.”

“Thanks, ahjussi.” She hummed in reply, the car pulled to a full stop, and she looked up.

“We’ve arrived, young miss.” The driver spoke before sliding down the vehicle, he opened the door for her and Soojin carefully descended the vehicle. She went up the restaurant’s steps and was greeted by the hostess.

“I have a reservation with MinSung Pharma.” She said, the lady nodded and Soojin was surprised that she was not led to a private dining hall. She followed the girl to one of the open spaces and they arrived at the table.

“I hope you don’t mind, those private rooms never sat well with me.” The familiar male spoke as he stood up, Soojin’s eyes widened in shock.

“This is vice president Yoo of MinSung Pharma, ma’am.” The hostess said before stepping away, Soojin could only stare at him.

Do you feel betrayed?” Christian spoke as he pulled the chair for her, Soojin slowly put her purse down.

Sort of. But, oh, oh! Christian Yu. Yoo Barom. President Yoo, you’re father.” She muttered, he tilted his head at her, sheepish.

In my defense, my father only told me about meeting someone from Swiss Bank a few days before you were discharged, and I got your name after that. It took me a while to figure it out too.

Okay, wow.” She murmured as she sat down, the male went back to his seat.

“I’m sorry, this is my first time seeing you in…normal clothes.” Soojin chuckled, Christian rolled his eyes, unconsciously tugging on his tie.

“I try to fit in.” He shrugged, clearly joking.

“Well, thank you for making my job easier. I think.” She said as she picked up the menu, Christian smiled to himself and looked at her.

Now, I need you to like me. Since my father wants to open an account with the prestigious Swiss Bank.” He nodded along as they were offered some wine.

Let’s see, vice president Yoo.” Soojin laughed as she saw him grimace at his title.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++