012

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

Jisoo was smiling at Ara as she sat down beside the younger girl, Changkyun was chatting with some family friends a few tables away from them.

“It’s good to see you, unnie.”

“You too, I was in need of a familiar face.” She said with a small sigh, Ara grew amused.

“You look nervous, unnie. Relax, it’s a party.”

“Easy for you to say, you’ve known these people for a long time. I just met Shownu’s grandmother and she’s…something.”

Ara chuckled and leaned back on her seat, it was the typical reaction the Son matriarch got from most people. She let her eyes survey the room before speaking.

“Halmae Son can be..something, but she always has good intentions. She’s very protective of her grandsons.”

“Right, I don’t get it.” Jisoo leaned closer as she whispered.

“I didn’t know Soojin was so close with Baekho, isn’t she Shownu’s friend?” She said conspiringly, Ara glanced at the girl briefly.

“Yes, she is. But, unnie, we don’t really let those…things get to us. Whatever issues the two cousins have, Soojin unnie has always stayed away from it. And, she grew up with them, so she~”

“Oh, who’s that? Seri’s boyfriend?” Jisoos was suddenly distracted, Ara followed her gaze and grew amused. She followed the older girl’s gaze as two familiar faces were approaching their table, Changkyun looked up briefly and gave the two a wave.

“Attorney Oh and attorney Oh!” Chaerin swooped in with a warm smile as she walked towards the two, Seri let out a snort before giving her friend a hug, Jisoo tilted her head, confused.

“Mrs. Chae.” The male beside Seri spoke with familiarity before giving the girl a quick hug.

“Oh Sehun.” Chaerin mused just as Hyungwon and Haeyoung joined them.

“Seri unnie’s older brother. They’re twins.” Ara mused at as she stood up to say hi to the two.

“Wow.” Jisoo said under her breath before picking up her champagne.

 

 

 

“What are you doing here? You should be enjoying the party.”

Mrs. Son turned her head, her husband was standing right beside her. She smiled as the male leaned over to kiss her cheek.

“Eomma suddenly decided to throw a party, I’m sorry I was away.” He said apologetically, the lady shook her head at him.

“What are you looking at so worriedly? I heard Soojin’s home, that’s good news.”

“She is. I…Hyunwoo brought his girlfriend over.” She spoke, Chairman Son smiled and nodded.

“Then, why do you look…worried?”

“I saw her..react to Baekho. I…You know what I think about your sister pitting them against each other, we don’t need any more~”

“It’s nothing. My sister tends to think that we’re trying to oust her. I’m not, no one is doing that.”

“But it’s affecting our son. And, I don’t think he needs more people around him that could magnify that.” Mrs. Son replied, keeping her tone quiet.

“What are you talking about? His girlfriend?”

“Yes, I saw her frown when Soojin greeted Baekho, the girl didn’t even acknowledge him. It means she knows about the issue, and…she sees Baekho as Hyunwoo’s competition. And that’s not right.” She said as she crossed her arms, the male was about to speak when they heard steps approaching them.

“I wanted to say my greetings before the fanfare begins.” Soojin said with a grin, Mrs. Son chuckled before opening her arms to the girl.

“Soojin-ah, it’s good to see you.” She chuckled as the girl went into her arms, Chairman Son smiled and patted her cheek.

“I know I should have called as soon as I got home, but it got hectic, auntie. Sorry.” She said sheepishly.

“You’re right. You should have!” The elder said gruffly as she let go.

“Then, how about I invite myself to dinner to you place? Uncle, I miss your cooking.” Soojin batted her eyes at the elders, husband and wife laughed at her antics.

“Of course, you’re always welcome to come visit us, Soo.”

“Yes!” Soojin cheered, she was about to speak when she heard Shownu calling for her.

“Im Soo!” He was waving her over, Soojin excused herself and walked back towards the party.

“I bet my mother is over the moon that she’s back.” Chairman Son mused as he took his wife’s hand, they started approaching the crowd.

“She called her baby again.” Mrs. Son mused in reply.

 

 

 

“Sehun-ah,” Soojin said excitedly before giving Seri’s brother a hug.

“Now I really am worried, the three of you in the same country. Sounds…dangerous, should I have the legal team on call?” Sehun mused at her, Soojin sent him a look before socking his arm.

“Be nice, brother.” Seri made a face at him, Soojin was about to speak when she felt someone poke her arm.

“Your father didn’t RSVP tonight.” Shownu spoke in low tones, she nodded in reply.

“I think he’s out of town. Did halmae want to see him?” She asked as she faced him, Shownu shrugged, his eyes going to the Son matriarch.

“Stop fretting, it went well.” Soojin tugged on his sleeve, Seri grinned.

“Oh, is it the dreaded first meeting?” Sehun chimed in, Soojin nodded in reply.

“Stop, it went well. I saw it, halmae smiled.”

“How many times?” Sehun said teasingly, Seri hissed at her sibling. Shownu grinned at the two before shaking his head.

“You’re riding again? On weekends?” He asked as the four headed to their table, Shownu saw Jisoo talking with Hyungwon and Haeyoung.

“I’m planning to, I hope it works out.”

“You should be careful, don’t go alone. Should I~”

“No, I do not need a babysitter. And I’ll be fine.” She said, stopping him before he could hover.

“You fell last time, Im Soo. Two weeks at the hospital.”

“That was nine years ago.” She argued back just as Changkyun heard them, he pulled the chair for his sister.

“You were younger, your bones healed faster back then. Now~”

“Oppa, you must never discuss a woman’s age in public.” Jisoo shushed him before he could continue, Ara laughed and covered .

“Yes, please tame your boyfriend, Jisoo. You can take him away too. The second option is better. Take him!” Soojin pleaded, the other girl let out a laugh.

 

 

 

“I think….She’ll be okay.” Seri said before bringing her champagne to her lips, Chaerin leaned back on her chair and followed her friend’s gaze. Jisoo was seated with Shownu’s parents, and they were talking. Mr. Son was smiling along as the two women chatted, while Shownu listened on, looking pleased.

“Really?” Chaerin said with raised brows, Seri sighed and gave her the side-eye.

“Give it up, she’s been introduced to the family. The Sons have met her, and they seem to like here. Look, even uncle is smiling.”

“But he always smiles.” Chaerin pointed out, Seri sighed again.

“Why?”

“This is why I don’t feel like introducing the guy I’m meeting. It’s you.”

“Me? I’m the problem? Do you not feel…her vibe?” Chaerin rolled her eyes as she pulled the cake towards her, it was strawberry flavored, and she loved it.

“Does that matter? Your favorite cousin loves her.”

“It does. And, we don’t even know that yet. Moving on, why would you think that? I would never talk about your boyfriend behind your back, I would tell you straight up.” Chaerin continued, Hyungwon joined them and took the seat beside his wife.

“Uhm, thanks. But, that’s not what I meant. You…You never approve of people, Mrs. Chae. And that stresses out your friends.” Seri made a face at her, Chaerin pursed her lips, contemplating, Hyungwon placed his hand over hers.

“I only do it because I care.”

Seri turned to her with raised brows.

“I promise to be nice to the guy you’re seeing. But, if you ask me to be Jisoo’s friend, I’d rather scribble on my Himalayan Birkin!”

Hyungwon stifled a laugh while Seri gasped in mock hurt.

“Oh my gosh, you really do love me, Mrs. Chae!” She stated with one palm on her chest, Chaerin was about to raised one of her two favorite fingers when Ara suddenly plopped down beside Seri, the girl had to hold on or she would topple over.

“Did…you run?” Hyungwon blinked at her confused, Ara took a few breaths before speaking.

“D—Did you see?”

“What?” Seri asked, her eyes went to the crowd, then she halted. Hyungwon followed the girl’s gaze and let out a low whistle.

“What are you talking about? What’s there to see?” Chaerin murmured, she eventually looked up and paused, her eyes zeroed on the tall male standing across Soojin.

“I did not know he was on the guest list.” Chaerin blurted out, her eyes went to her older cousin, Shownu had stopped talking and was now looking at Soojin.

“This is going to be awkward.” Hyungwon murmured, he stood up and walked towards where the kids were playing.

Seri watched as the male smiled at Soojin, he walked towards her with ease.

“They did look so good together.” Ara hummed as she leaned on the table, Chaerin looked at Soojin as she greeted the male with a polite smile.

“They still do.” Chaerin let out a sigh and leaned against her friend.

“What are we going to do, shake hands?” They overheard the male speak in his usual baritone voice.

Soojin blinked for a couple of seconds, but she eventually stretched one palm towards him, but she was smiling.

“Everyone’s favorite ex-boyfriend is back.”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++