009

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

“Yes, right there.” Shownu said as he gestured towards the floor length windows, the workers nodded at him and proceeded to set the table down.

“How about this, sir?” Another box was being wheeled in, Shownu looked up and pointed towards the table.

“Can you set the chair?” He asked the male, the latter nodded back.

“Yes, of course.”

Shownu put his hands on his hips and looked around, the office was about eighty percent done. They were just waiting for a couple of desks and smaller shelves to be delivered.

“Should we order in for lunch? Or are we going out to eat?” Soojin asked from the couch, the girl was sitting down, watching a video on YouTube.

“What do you feel like eating?” Shownu asked as he walked towards her, the girl scrunched her nose and peeled her gaze away from the screen, she looked around and blinked.

“I’m almost done?” She asked as she stared at the furniture that were already set.

“Yes, I’m almost done setting up your office.” He replied pointedly, the girl rolled her eyes and leaned back.

“Maybe walking around won’t hurt.” She stretched her arms and put her computer away, the male nodded and checked his phone. Soojin glanced at him, her friend was dressed casually, a pair of beige fitted chinos and a Ralph Lauren Purple Label sweater in a shade of navy blue.

“I’ll ask secretary Yoo to supervise.” He said, the girl started fixing her hair.

“No Jisoo today? Invite her.”

“I did text her earlier, she has a meeting at work. Sadly, it’s just us two.” He said as he stood up, the girl sighed and grabbed her purse.

“So, things are serious.” She stated with a teasing grin as they stepped out of the office space, Hyunwoo sent her a questioning look.

“I mean, come on, she’s met your other friends. She hung out with as the club, and at the other club. You’re bringing her around.”

“Should I not bring her around?” He mused as they got in the elevator, the girl scoffed at his reply.

“I’m happy this seems serious, Hyunwoo. And I like how you’re always smiling around her, you like a lovesick fool, but I’m guessing that’s the concept, right?”

The doors pinged open, and she stepped out first, Shownu’s car was already waiting by the driveway.

“Yes. And yes, that is the concept, Im Soo.”

“Does that mean I’ll be seeing her this weekend too?” She said with a smile as he opened the car’s door for her, Shownu blinked back at her.

“What’s this weekend?”

“Your grandmother’s birthday, you ungrateful brat.”

Shownu grimaced, it did slip his mind.

“I’m pretty sure I’ll be seeing her at that YooMin thing for your Ansan thing.”

“Yes, YooMin’s party for the Ansan branch.” He patiently said as he gestured for her to get inside.

“Well? Well?”

“Do you think…it’s okay if I invite her to halmae’s party?” He tilted his head at her, forehead creasing.

“Honestly, you lost the right to invite anyone if you forgot her birthday,” She pointed out, Shownu’s secretary looked down to hide his grin.

“But, yes, I think it is okay.” She nodded before turning to the other male, the lady smiled.

“Thank you for overseeing my office renovations, secretary Yoo.”

“You’re welcome, young miss. It’s good to see you.”

“Hey, you didn’t even thank me. I was the one who~” The Levante’s door shut to his face, Shownu exhaled and shook his head. Secretary Yoo watched as his boss got in the driver’s seat and the vehicle sped away.

“Nothing has changed.” He mused to himself as he got inside the building.

 

 

 

“A combined party?” Changkyun looked up from his desk, his girlfriend nodded in reply, waving her phone.

“I got Chaerin unnie’s text just this morning. Did they not tell you?”

“I guess she’s expecting you to tell me.” Changkyun mused as he set his laptop aside. Ara walked around his desk and peered over his computer screen, the male smiled and pulled her so that she’d sit on the arm of his chair.

“Well, it’s not like you need an invitation anyway.”

“Perks of growing up with that family.”

“But, Changkyun-ah,” She begun, the male nodded for her to continue as he gently closed his laptop.

“Chaerin unnie really doesn’t like her, huh? I’m talking about Jisoo unnie.”

“Yes. Does she…tell you why?” He said with an amused grin, at this point he was already used to the Song lady. Her older cousin’s girlfriends were always a hit or miss with her.

“She doesn’t like her vibes. Or vibe.”

“Her usual answer. Don’t worry, I’m sure noona will warm up to her.”

“It’s been three years, darling.” She pointed out, the male chuckled and brought her palm to his lips.

“Then hyung will have to marry her then.”

Ara shook her head, then she noticed the photo on the male’s desk, it was of him and his older sister.

“Come to think of it, I think this is her first time, huh?” She began, Changkyun looked up to meet her gaze.

“What do you mean?”

“Soojin unnie’s first time having Jisoo unnie around, they’ve been seeing each other for a while, and she’s always been out of town.” The girl explained as she stood up.

“You mean, Jisoo noona’s first time having my sister around.” He mused as he put his phone in his coat pocket, the girl paused.

“Hey, she’s the girlfriend. It should be the other way around.” Ara pointed out, Changkyun paused and stared at her.

“Right.” He blurted out, the girl raised her brows at him.

“Well, I’m glad they get along well. And I’m glad my sister’s in town.”

 

 

 

“You never told me about your Ceylon meeting.” Hyunwoo said as their steaks were served, Soojin pursed her lips before speaking.

“Do you want a filtered one, or do you want the Im Soo version?”

“I’d like to hear both.” He said as he started to cut the steak, the girl tucked her hair behind her ears and pressed her palms together.

“President Ahn was unable to go, so his son went in his stead. We spoke over the meal, I presented to him what our bank could do for them and their company. Young master Ahn was pleasing, and we had a great conversation, I’m thinking of making a formal presentation for the Ahns by next week.”

The older male looked up from the plate, knife hovering over the steak.

“Ah, it didn’t go well.” He said as he switched plates with her.

“You have no idea.” She said as she picked up her fork and stabbed a piece of meat, she chucked it in .

“Was he rude to you?” Shownu refilled her glass with wine.

“First, he asked if I studied abroad, which was fine, you know. A normal question, I get that a lot. But then he started touching my hand, then asked if I had a place in town.”

The male slowly looked up from his plate, he raised one brow at her.

“I took care of it, I turned him down in the nicest way I could. Since, you know, I can’t let myself shine bright like a diamond. But you get my point.”

“Sadly, I do. What else did he do?”

“Just those things. He was being greasy and acted like he was the toughest guy in town and all. And trust me, he’s not the most good-looking person. He’s cocky as hell. Ugh.

“I thought you said Hyungwon knew him.”

“He knows the family, but I don’t think the Chaes are really doing business with them, it’s a small telco, Hyunwoo.” She said as she started eating.

“Maybe don’t meet him alone next time.” He suggested as the girl traded his veggies for some of her steak.

“I don’t plan to, next time I’ll go straight to his father.” She replied, her eyes went to the counter and her brows went up.

“Right, I emailed you something earlier. It’s about this new Samsung development program, can you..take a look?”

“I will, if you buy me cake.”

“You still have my card.” He pointed out; the girl gave him a sheepish grin.

“I did call the bank; I have to go there to update my biometrics. But then, that would take time.”

“Ask them to go to your office.” He replied as he nodded at the waiter and ordered a slice of their chocolate cake.

“They can’t exactly bring their computers and to my office, Hyunwoo. Please let me mooch off you for a little more. You know I’ll pay you back.” She winked at him; the older male simply nodded.

“You don’t have to. Just don’t meet up with that man alone.”

 

 

 

“Wait, really? Mrs. Son’s birthday? As in, his grandmother?” Minah’s eyes were wide as she stared at the invitation before her.

“Yes, it’s at their…family estate? Who calls their home that?” Jisoo chuckled as she picked up her coffee, she felt her phone vibrate briefly.

“Hey!” Shinhye slapped her arm.

“What?”

“It is an estate, look at the address.” Minah sighed as she pointed out the words on the paper, Jisoo paused, confused.

“We’re neighbors, right? We live in a gated subdivision in Gangnam, and most people consider that as something.”

“The Sons live in a gated~”

“They occupy their houses in the city during weekdays, but their main base, their real home is there. The Son family estate, which is outside Seoul.” Shinhye calmly explained, but at their friend’s still confused expression, Minah sighed again.

“Listen up, I’m not sure you really know who you’ve been going out for the past few years but, the Sons are on a different level, okay? I’m sure having control over companies like Samsung, LG and Hyundai explains like eighty percent why, however, families like theirs simply do not live in the city.” Minah mused as she picked up another cookie, the three friends had met up after work to catch up. Also, Jisoo knew that her friends were also curious about the newcomer, Im Soojin.

“But, why would they not want to live in the city?”

“You don’t understand, they have always had that estate in their family for decades. I’m sure when you get there, it’s a huge sprawling property with traditional houses.”

“Houses? There’s more than one?” Jisoo spoke, Shinhye gave her an amused nod.

“It’s probably a compound of some sort, the Sons are pretty private, so there’s no photos of their ancestral home online.”

“Ah.” Jisoo nodded along and took a bite of her muffin.

“I mean, he’s friends with the Ims, the Chae son, and that other lady, Seri? The one percent really do hang out with the one percent.” Minah chuckled as she leaned back on her seat.

“But, as far as I can remember, I went to the same high school as them, the Ims have always been close with them. Even his cousin, the other Son heir, I forgot his name.” Shinhye trailed off.

“You mean Baekho?” Jisoo added, her two friends nodded.

“Right, him. He’s good friends with Soojin too.”

“Really? But she’s pals with Shownu oppa. I doubt she’s good terms with his cousin.” Jisoo hummed before finisher her coffee.

“She’s friends with both cousin. But, she’s always been close with Shownu sunbae since they were kids. I don’t think she really takes sides in their weird rivalry thing.”

“She shouldn’t.” Minah shook her head, Jisoo made a face.

“Well, Baekho really should back off. He’s way too full of himself.” Jisoo made a face, Shinhye sent her a look.

“Don’t say that they’re cousins. They should be getting along well.” Minah softly said.

“Well, he doesn’t deserve his position in YooMin.” Jisoo made a face again.

“Anyway, thank you for introducing us to Im Soojin. She’s always been elusive. I wasn’t expecting that she’s super nice and all.” Minah chuckled as she crossed her legs, Shinhye nodded in agreement.

“However, I would like to warn you though,” Minah added, Shinhye turned to her, Jisoo paused.

“Technically, even though they don’t use the term, she is kind of your boyfriend’s girl best friend. And, you know how that goes, right?”

“You think she’d do something? Her? Im Soojin?” Jisoo let out a small laugh.

“Hey, you’ll never know. And, I think you shouldn’t be so lax with her.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++