001

Happy Without Me

 

 

 

“Changkyun-ah,”

The young male looked up before getting in his car, the middle-aged man hurried after him.

“Don’t forget, your father expects you tonight. Dinner with the MBK executives.” The man informed him as he helped the youngest Im with his coat.

Changkyun grimaced at their household manager; the man had been with the family for over twenty years now, that they already call him uncle.

“Will I be meeting them with just my father?”

The latter gave him a tightlipped smile before speaking.

“You won’t like my answer, young master.”

Changkyun rolled his eyes; he wordlessly slid inside his car. The man exhaled and watches as the black LaFerrari drove out of the Im estate.

“It’s already difficult with the young master, but what happens if the young miss were to find out, sir?” One of the household staff spoke as they went back in the house. The man sighed and straightened his tie.

“If that happens,”

“Yes?”

“We can only do one thing.” He spoke as he picked up his iPad from the coffee table.

“What is? Do we need to inform the company if that happens?”

The male let out a dismal chuckle as they reached their office, the other staff greeted them.

“No, we pray. All we can do is pray.”

Changkyun lowered his speed as he reached the main road, usually it was a good thirty minute drive to work, and most days he had coffee with him.

He was about to take a sip when his phone started to ring, a familiar number appeared on the car’s infotainment system and he immediately answered.

“Hello,”

“Hi, are you busy? Can you talk?” The feminine voice spoke, he hummed back with a smile.

“So, I was thinking about lunch. Are you free?”

“I am, but, hyung called, he mentioned lunch too. Are you okay with getting lunch with them and Soo noona?”

His girlfriend let out a chuckle.

“Of course, can you pick me up?”

“I’ll be there before lunch break.” He muttered, there was a short pause.

“Did your dad get into your nerves again? Is this about her?” He could almost see the frown on her face.

Changkyun pressed his lips together before speaking.

“I’ll tell you later, take care.”

 

 

 

I know. I got the email.” The girl said through gritted teeth as she pushed the glass door with one heeled boot as she cradled her Starbucks drink with her free hand.

They want it done by Tuesday evening, that’s ridiculous, Sam.” Her coworker from the other line, the girl scrunched her nose as she hurried down the street, where she parked her car.

“I know, I’ve been trying to reach Mister Schmid about it, but the same thing. He can’t do anything about it and they’re a big client.”

Vanessa, her coworker on the other end snorted in reply. Sam smiled, the BMW sedan beeped and she quickly slid in.

“I’ll be there in a few minutes, and I got you some croissants.”

“Great, that will help…hopefully.”

Sam chuckled; she ended the call and carefully eased out of the parking spot. She stepped on the gas as she drove to her work place. She was currently working for one of the biggest bank ins Switzerland for almost four years now, and so far, she’s been enjoying it, despite the stress and sleepless nights it entitled.

The girl arrived at the company’s parking lot, she waved at the security before heading straight to her reserved spot. Sam was about to step down from her car when her phone started ringing. She grabbed the device and looked at the screen; she rolled her eyes before picking up.

“Why?”

“Hello.”

“Why?” She mumbled back, the male let out a snort.

“I’m calling to check on you, like..I usually do, like your father tasked me to.”

“Well?”

“Still breathing?”

“Yes.”

“Still eating?”

“I’m never not eating, you know that.” She mused as she gathered her things and chucked them all into her Goyard purse.

“You said you’d try flying home for the holidays,” He continued, the girl sighed as she stepped down from the car.

“I did emphasize on the try.” She pointed out as she hurried towards the building.

“How about my birthday?”

“I didn’t even fly back for my brother’s birthday, but okay, Mister Special.” She mused to herself as she walked past thru security

The line grew quiet and the girl smiled to herself.

“I really am busy, especially this time of the year. You know that.”

“Isn’t it…dawn there? Three in the morning? Why were you driving?” Always demanding as ever.

“I was called to an emergency meeting. Can I get back to you later?” She asked as she got inside the elevator, she saw Vanessa rushing towards her.

“You don’t have to. Just make sure to get some sleep.”

“I’ll try.”

“Please do not emphasize on that,” He pointed out before ending the call, the girl snorted and stared at the phone screen.

“He hasn’t had lunch yet, grumpy .”

 

 

 

“Hello, oppa, unnie,”

The couple smiled as the younger lady approached the table, the male stood up and pulled the chair for her.

“Changkyun?”

“He had to park, sorry we’re a bit late. Traffic was bad. Hi, unnie.” She greeted the girl as she sat down, Han Jisoo smiled in return before speaking.

“How have you been, Ara? I haven’t seen you in a while.” She said as she turned to her.

“Work has been..really something, unnie. I have this conference coming up next week and I still have no idea if I am required to attend.” Ara replied, she spotted Changkyun walk in the restaurant but he wasn’t alone. Her brows went up as she recognized the woman.

“Oh, Chaerin unnie’s here.”

Chaerin met her gaze and she gave her a warm smile, but it disappeared when her eyes ventured on the table’s occupants.

“I ran into noona outside.” Changkyun said as they joined them, the older male chuckled as his younger cousin plopped down beside him.

“Oppa, what’s the occasion? Why gather everyone for lunch?” Chaerin spoke as she raised her hand for the waiter.

“Well, we haven’t seen each other in a while, and I know your husband’s still out of town. I don’t want you to get bored. A bored Chaerin is never good.”

“Son Hyunwoo, I’d really rather be alone.” She pointed out, tapping her perfectly manicured nails on the table, her six carat diamond ring bounced on her finger slightly.

“Well, let’s order.”

“Seri is still in a meeting, so she won’t be able to make it.” Chaerin added as Chankgyun picked up the menu.

“How’s Oh Se doing?” Shownu asked his cousin, Chaerin shrugged at him and faced Ara, wanting to discuss the food.

“Have you heard from my sister, hyung?” Changkyun spoke as the waiter took their orders, Chaerin and Ara were taking care of that. While Jisoo looked on, amused with the group, they were always so lively.

“I heard about KangSan’s move to buy out CJ Oil. Good move. Did that have her blessing?” Shownu spoke to Changkyun, the younger male grimaced and nodded.

“It took me weeks to persuade to have it checked, but it did have her blessing.”

“CJ Oil?” Jisoo’s looked at them, hearing their competitor’s name. Chaerin glanced at the girl and Ara didn’t miss how she rolled her eyes and went back to her phone.

“Yes, noona. It’s been finalized yesterday.”

“Whoa, I didn’t know KangSan would be taking them over. Does that make us rivals now?” She joked, Changkyun chuckled.

“I don’t think so, noona.”

“It really doesn’t. Such a small~”

“Unnie, can we share the pecan pie?” Ara quickly chimed in, Chankgyun’s brows rose but his girlfriend ignored him and he continued chatting with Shownu and Jisoo.

 

 

 

“Okay, so I have a surprise for you.”

Samantha eyed her boss warily as she walked in his office, the middle-aged man looked rumpled and sleepy. But he was smiling at her, the way that she knew, she should be running out of his office.

Sir, we literally just finished the Keller account. We, and I mean, my whole team, need sleep. Not surprises. And not even coffee.”

“Samantha, darling, give this a listen.” He said as he gestured towards the seat across his wide oak desk, the girl sighed and plopped down, not bothering to fix her posture.

“Okay, surprise me, boss.”

The male grinned at her before leaning back unto his lush brown leather work chair.

“I just got a call from the higher ups.”

“Ugh. The ones higher than you, I suppose.” Samantha shrugged, Schmid nodded back and she frowned.

“Well, I’ve been hearing rumors about it since last month. But I didn’t know that it’d be pushed forward.”

Please cut to the chase, sir.”

“There’s been a proposal for you.”

“I am really not in the mood to try on bridal dresses.” She deadpanned, and her boss shushed her.

“I got the call two weeks ago, they were asking me who I could suggest for our next…well, networking trip.”

“What?”

“You’ve been bringing in big time clients over the past years, Sammy. And, they love you. And I mean this in the best way, non-racist…agenda..”

“What?”

“Sammy, I mentioned you to the higher ups when they said there’s a huge project for Asia. I..suggested you’d be the perfect fit. You come from a prestigious clan; you have friends all over the world.”

“The world and Asia.” She pointed out, her brows went up.

You know what I mean, you’re our star here. Our ace.”

“You heard Asia, so you saw me. Timmy is part Vietnamese, you know. And he’s just two floors down.”

“But does he bring in clients like Hankook, Samsung, Tianjin Development, Singtel and Thai Royalty~”

“Stop, I get it.” Samantha exhaled and crossed her legs, her boss smiled at her.

“I’ve always been proud you, Sammy Star.”

“Don’t.” She grumbled, then she slowly stood up.

“Can you at least think about it?”

“I will try.”

“No, no, that means a no. Please, think about it, Sam.” Mr. Schmid waddled after her, Samantha exhaled and faced the male. For the four years she’d been in Switzerland, the man had been like a father figure to her. He invited her to his home on holidays and birthdays, she dined with his family a lot.

“Okay, I’ll think about it. I’ll see what I can do.”

He broke into a huge grin, his hazel eyes sparkled that it made her laugh.

“I’ll head back home and get some sleep now, sir.”

“Okay, drive safely.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

 

n/a

 

really slow updates for this one. i just had to put this chap up before i forget.

bluestone:>