48 Girlfriends No More

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S3: Panorama of Pearls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Slice of Life

Summary: In which Yujin asks Minju to break up with her.

Word Count: 4227

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS3_GirlfriendsNoMore

 

Girlfriends No More

 

Minju comes home to an empty apartment after a long day at work. She’s tired and she hasn’t been able to get some proper sleep for almost a week. So the first thing she does after getting home is to look for her girlfriend and ask for a warm hug which she badly needs right now. Only that said person is nowhere to be found. Normally, she’d immediately see Yujin sprawled on the couch watching dramas while muching on chips or sleeping.

 

But today seems different.

 

She takes off her shoes and coat as starts walking down the hallway. “I’m home!”

 

She receives no response.

 

“Yujin-ah?”

 

Still none.

 

By the third time Minju shouts for Yujin’s name is when she starts getting worried.

 

Yujin should be home by now. It’s been 2 hours since her work hours ended.

 

She saunters across the living room, the kitchen, the bathroom, and Yujin’s home office only to be met with disappointment. She then pulls up her phone from her pocket as she tries to call Yujin’s phone. While doing so after a few seconds, she hears a loud ring coming from their bedroom with the door slightly open and relief washes over her.

 

She marches down towards the room to find a gloomy Yujin sitting on the side of the bed facing away from her, with slumped shoulders and slouched back, head down and looking like she bears the whole world’s problems. Seeing her girlfriend at this state made Minju forget about her exhaustion. It hit her system that Yujin should be her priority right now.

 

She slowly walks towards Yujin, cautious because her she knows her girlfriend is quite sensitive when she’s sad. “Yujin? What’s wrong?”

 

Yujin stays mum.

 

Minju goes in Yujin’s front and lowers herself as she holds her cold yet slightly bigger hands. Comparing them has always been Minju’s favorite thing to do since she took in the knowledge, pressing their palms up together that sometimes Yujin tries to playfully intertwine as she kisses the back of her hands. It was so sweet that Minju blushes with a small smile as kisses Yujin’s cheeks in return. But now, Minju only settles playing with Yujin’s fingers, she searches for her eyes but she’s having a hard time meeting Minju’s. Yujin seemed antsy because she keeps moving around and her eyes looking everywhere but hers, the worry Minju had rises even more.

 

“Baby? What happened?”

 

As Yujin still chooses not to answer, Minju begins to come up with the answers herself. Did she get fired from her job? No, she was doing well the other day… She even had a promotion the other month. Maybe she had a fight with her parents? Or with Yena because she destroyed Yujin’s house in Animal Crossing again?... No. That’s not it. Minju unknowingly shakes her head while in deep thoughts as she scrunches her nose as her eyebrows almost meet.

 

(Yujin found it very cute at the time.)

 

But Yujin has something important to say. It made Yujin look away from her girlfriend so she settled into gazing at the plain, white wall in front of her as remembers talking to Yena about her plan.

 

Yujin has invited Yena for a drink in a café near their previous university. The café, named Woollimz, was popular for its bevarages and cakes that when Yujin and Minju entered college and discovered the place, they frequently visited. They had their fair share of dating and spending time there together, just sitting in silence, basking in the light atmosphere with each other’s company. But now that they graduated and got each other’s designated jobs, even excelling at it that their time together decreased gradually and unfortunately seldom stopped by. The owner as well the staffs that have known them since their college days found it odd to not see their favorite couple and avid customer anymore.

 

But upon seeing Yujin now as the door opens, Chaewon, the short-haired barista who has often taken and served the couple’s orders, was very delighted of her coming back that she gave Yujin her drink for free with an additional red velvet cake. “It’s on the house,” smiled Chaewon in which Yujin also returned gratefully.

 

Yujin takes a seat beside the window that allowed her and Yena to have a peaceful conversation without much people near them. Yena arrives 10 minutes later and Yujin sees her coming in with a worried expression on her face. The moment she sees her bestfriend, Yena immediately sits down across Yujin emitting a serious face like she’s saying, ‘Explain.’

 

So Yujin does.

 

___

 

“Are you sure about this, Yuj?” Yena, although she understands Yujin’s reasons, can’t keep herself from disagreeing with the tall girl in front of her.

 

Yujin hums as she nods, “I’ve never been so sure before.”

 

Her best friend can only sigh as she looks at the window, “You know you’re only hurting her if this takes you longer, right?”

 

Two seconds of silence. Yujin stares at the cup of drink on her hands, ‘This is Minju’s favorite.’ she thinks.

 

She takes the cup to her lips, sipping and savoring the taste of bitterness of the coffee, the same feeling she’s going through tight now. Yujin grimaces that goes unnoticed by Yena, “I know, unnie,”

 

I know.

 

“…That’s why I’ll end things immediately.”

 

“Minju,” she starts.

 

The raven-haired settled with a, “Hmm?” Patient enough to wait in knowing what’s bothering her girlfriend today. She takes a seat beside Yujin on the side of the bed, never letting go of the other’s hands. She got scared a little because Yujin sounded so serious, and she can only remember the time that Yujin did was when she confessed to her, or that time she got jealous of that one annoying suitor of Minju in college named Hyunjin. Yujin may or may not have started a fight and got into suspension because of it. Or both because all those happened at the same time.

 

Yujin and Minju are supposed to hang out because today is their so-called “sundate”, of course, named by the one and only Ahn Yujin which according to her is because of the need for them to hang out every week, for obvious best friends reasons… right?

 

Minju waits besides a street pole while she scrolls down on her phone. Apparently, Yujin is late because she woke up late, and it was 12pm when Minju called, the same time Yujin got up from her bed to get ready. Minju can only scoff at the tardiness but she loves her best friend nonetheless.

 

The raven-haired lingers beside the pole for a good 15 minutes when suddenly someone held her shoulders and shouted, “BOO!”

 

“AAH!” Minju screamed which earned a loud laugh from Yujin. She’s been annoyed the moment she knew her best friend was still sleeping earlier and made her wait for half an hour, including the fact that she’s extremely hungry doesn’t help so she hits Yujin hard in the arm with no remorse.

 

"OW! Why did you hit me? It hurts you know." Yujin pouts. Acting in pain with Minju's feather-like punch on her arms.

 

"How did you expect me to react? Kiss you because you scared me?" Minju asks as she rolls her eyes.

 

Yujin could only smile mischievously. And for Minju, that wasn't a good sign. Most of the times because it sends her poor heart and knees weak. But because it's Yujin, her good 'ol special best friend (that she's not-so-secretly in love with), she won't be surprised if she says something stupid and annoying that would make it the topic of their bickering for days—

 

"Yes,"

 

Minju's eyes widen and gapes at Yujin's answer. It caught Minju off-guard that her heart started beating so quick she could feel it ramming on her chest, wanting to be freed. So she looks away, but it seems like Yujin wants her to suffer more because she’s not yet done,

 

"I'd very much love for you to do that, Minmin." Yujin said with a wink.

 

Minju's cheeks are now painted red and warm.

 

Damn you, Yujin.

 

"Y-you're so annoying. As if I would let that happen. (she definitely would) Get away from me, you stink!" Minju grumbles just as she walks away. Then that leaves Yujin standing on the same spot for a few seconds, staring at her best friend's leaving figure, with eyes softly gazing the woman she adores the most before she catches up.

 

“Ya! Wait for me!”

 

___

 

They sit on the café near the window, their designated ‘spot’ that Minju chose because she thought it would be nice to observe people while staying away from them. They were eating peacefully until someone interrupts that made the said person look up, “Kim Minju?”

 

“Uhm, yes?” she asked, unsure of what to reply.

 

“I never thought I’d see you here.” The guy states with delight, his face clearly shows with the way his smile reaches his eyes.

 

But Minju feels otherwise. The guy, named Hwang Hyunjin, is the captain of their university’s boys’ basketball team, and has always expressed his interest on Minju since freshman year, disregarding Minju’s rejection of a hundred times. It has always annoyed Minju, but not on the same level as Yujin’s. She knows her best friend loathes the guy because hate is an understatement.

 

This guy can’t just take a hint. So Minju only responds with a forced smile.

 

“I’m out here with my friends,” Hyunjin attempts to start a conversation, “Would you like to join us?” Not minding Yujin’s presence who only sneers.

 

Before Minju can say a word, Yujin responds with a, “No. She’s not coming with you because she’s with me. Can’t you see we’re sooo happy without you here?”

 

Hyunjin, visibly displeased says, “I’m not talking to you, Ahn.”

 

“Well, you might as well talk to the wall because Minju here isn’t interested in talking to you.”

 

“Don’t make me shut your mouth myself, Ahn,” Hyunjin grits his teeth.

 

“Oh? I’d like to see you try.” Yujin challenges as she stands up from her seat. Yujin, although shorter, is not fazed with fighting a guy, especially if we’re talking about Hwang Hyunjin. She has hated his guts the moment he publicly confessed his feelings to Minju in their first year, and she knows very well about Minju’s hate for attention and the crowd so she made her way in the sea of students surrounding Hyunjin who has flowers in his hand and her best friend awkwardly standing there. Saving Minju from the pressure and eyes of everyone, she grabs her wrist and walks away.

 

Hyunjin, known for his short-tempered attitude and brawling tendencies, makes the first move in landing a punch on Yujin’s face.

 

“You little — “and there goes Yujin’s retaliation.

 

___

 

Yujin wins the fight, of course. Her training in taekwondo when she was in middle school paid off, and she couldn’t thank her mother more for forcing her to attend those lessons.

 

They left the café after Yujin beat Hyunjin down to the ground, his friends were outside when the fight happened so they weren’t there to stop it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter