12 project: final hope

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S3: Panorama of Pearls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Action, Adventure, Dystopia, Fantasy, Sci-Fic

Summary: Yujin spends her whole life hating Kim Minjoo even to the point of refusing to work with the woman. Until the time has come, when she needs to face the ghost of past in order to let go and move forward.

Word Count: 11578

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS3_ProjectFinalHope

 

project: final hope

 

LOC: CONFERENCE ROOM – HOUR: 16:24

 

Tension builds up inside the conference room after the revelation of the latest intel gathered by their agents positions everywhere. “I don’t mean to be offensive but the higher-ups must be joking.” Yujin pertains to the latest reports. There must be something wrong, she wonders. However, there is no time to pull such distasteful prank, when they are aware of the consequences of such acts. The hidden truth behind this reaction is brought by Yujin’s endless hatred on her supposed to be mission partner, Kim Minjoo, who she refused to work every single chance she gets. Every memory associated with Minjoo is bad and the cherry on top of the cake is… misfortunes follows up.

Major Kwon cleared to grab everyone’s attention back to original topic. “Corporal Ahn, we can set aside every personal relationship for now, this matter is on top of our priority list.”

That single statement from Major Kwon stops Yujin’s external protests. Yujin sneakily rolled her eyes out of frustration. Once she spotted the not so apple of her eyes Kim Minjoo strutting like she’s not damn late on a very important meeting. Her mood turns sour than it already was prior to Minjoo’s arrival. “What did I miss?” The audacity of this woman!

 

“Not much Captain, you can take a seat next to your mission partner Corporal Ahn!” The other officer inside the room waited for Yujin’s reaction. To everyone’s dismay she didn’t do anything other than scowl at her new seatmate.

 

“Hi Corporal.” Minjoo turns towards her direction, adorable smile plastered on Captain’s tired looking face.

 

Yujin ignored her, in turn making the other woman pout. Which is no longer a surprise.

 

“GOD!! So ugly!!” Yujin uttered under her breathe her attention is no longer focus on the important meeting. Her mind flies to the cafeteria, today they are serving her favorite meal. It didn’t go unnoticed to her seatmate that her stomach produced a little growl. “Major Kwon, sorry to interrupt but it’s time for lunch.” Minjoo pointed to her watch. Major Kwon realized that, “I’ll call the cafeteria staff to bring food while our meeting continues. Thanks for the reminder Captain.”

 

The faint smell of cheese invades Yujin’s smelling senses that her stomach made loud noises making Minjoo snorts, “What are you laughing Kim?” Yujin gritted her teeth trying to be quiet as much she possible. Minjoo just covered trying her best to be discreet.

 

“Say, ‘Thank you, Master Minjoo.’ Would be highly appreciated.” Minjoo .

 

Yujin glared at her, “No, why would I say that? Go yourself Kim.”

 

Yujin tried her best to be respectful to everyone but Minjoo is testing her. This little demon refused to give up, Yujin balled her fist trying to stop herself from erasing Minjoo’s face out of this world.

 

“Ahn, relax a bit.” Minjoo uttered in a seductive manner. “You’re so tensed.” Minjoo unwantedly touched her shoulder. Her body involuntarily shakes after their body made a little contact.

 

“That’s enough everyone.” Eunbi interrupts just in time before Yujin blows the first swing to Minjoo’s face.

 

 

“Everyone is dismissed, you’re all free to leave except Yujin and Minjoo. Please remain seated for few reminders.” Major Kwon ordered.

Once everyone vacates the room, Eunbi started speaking again, “Minjoo, I know you are aware of the success rate of this mission based from every documented expedition, right?” Minjoo nodded in agreement.

“20/20 – mission failed. Either of the party involved turned to mutant themselves, die of starvation or…” her expression morphed due to disappointment which she couldn’t disguise by her tone crescendos as she stated the numbers reflected on her tablet. “they ended up joining the armed rebels who goes by the name of ‘HELIX’.” Minjoo ended in a light tone.

 

“Are you scared Kim?” Yujin started taunting Minjoo out of nowhere.

 

Minjoo slightly tilts her body towards Yujin’s direction, eyes devoid of any emotions as if she didn’t just act all touchy with Yujin moments ago. “NO! Why would be scared?”

 

“Yujin, just this time please cooperate with Minjoo. We need our two finest soldiers to work in peace in order for this mission to succeed. Our future relies on Doctor Miyawaki’s research file.” Extracting the file is not the problem, but the location of the laboratory.

The research facility is known to have the most brutal, top-notched security features and its isolation location serves as advantage; another problem posed is the former inhabitants of the laboratory mutates exhibiting gruesome changes on their physical physique and even develop inhumane abilities compared to the average mutant scavenging outside the walls.

 

“What happened to Doctor Miyawaki?”

 

“That’s the information we currently don’t have in our possession Minjoo. Once you get there, you may find the answers to a lot of questions.” Who knows what lies inside the research facility. The information they obtained about the facility is very limited. Most are unconfirmed information their scouts obtained from the few working satellite probe orbiting the planet.

 

The meeting proceeds until the late hours of the night. Eunbi excused herself, “I’ll go ahead. You two take care on your way home.”

 

“Take care Major!” The two said in chorus. Yujin scoffed, “What a copycat.” To which Minjoo just smiles. “I said it first. In conclusion you are the copycat.” Minjoo teased in sing-song manner sending an even more pissed Yujin in cardiac arrest trying to suppress the urge to strangle the older girl.

 

“These babies!” Eunbi said after she witness Yujin throwing a crumpled set of paper in Minjoo’s direction before heading towards the exit of the conference room.

 

Yujin massage her temple relieving the pressure point, the young corporal is not a major fan of reading long documents. Glancing into the glass window of the building, the moon passed itseak shining bright outside this particular night illuminates the city. She failed to notice that its already past her bedtime. This magnificent accompanies her every night before completely falling asleep, at that moment she completely forgets the work she needs to do. Steam emanating in her desk brought her back to the reality. A mug of coffee is situated next to the unopen pack of plain crackers. Yujin checks the time, “its past midnight. How do I get home?” she asked herself. While massaging both her temples. She brought the mug of coffee sniffing the aromatic drink before taking a sip testing if its warm enough to drink. She discreetly finished the mug before commenting, “Your coffee still by the way.”

 

“I can take you home if its alright with you?” Minjoo interrupted her peace of mind once again

 

Yujin’s brows arched, considering to reject the offer instantly but the huge stretch of road lays between her and her comfortable bed overshadows her current dilemma. After receiving Hyewon’s message, “everyone is on their home resting except her.” Prompting her to accept the offer but another roadblock appears: she doesn’t want to prolong her agony. In her lack of response, MInjoo takes it as a que to leave, knowing that the younger girl will only decline her offer.

 

Yujin realized, she is all by herself. The silence sure creeps her out and as someone who’s never fond of being alone, her hands immediately move to pack her things to follow MInjoo. As much as she hated every agonizing moment with the girl, her fear outweighs the feeling agony, besides she doesn’t want to walk an hour in a half in a deserted road all by herself just get back to the sleeping quarters.

 

Once she catches up to Minjoo’s moving jeep, Yujin screams to call Minjoo’s attention. “Wait!”

 

The tires produced loud screech before abruptly stopping on its tracks just in time before it moves to the open road. Without hesitation Yujin opens the passenger door then hops inside the jeep, Minjoo is taken aback but she paid no mind to it, “fasten your seatbelt.” The whole ride on the way to the quarters is awkward, the only noise you can hear is the sound of tires cascading against the dried asphalt accompanying the unpleasant howling of the car engine. Minjoo reached for the radio to play some tunes before the awkwardness swallow them whole.

 

“Thank you, Kim.” Yujin manage to choke out words of gratitude before hopping off the jeep. “You’re welcome Ahn, see you tomorrow and get some rest.”

 

 

 

LOC: PRIVATE QUARTERS – HOUR: 00:55

“Did you go out with someone Yuj? Why is your face red as a ripe tomato?” Hyewon asked innocently after she made out the figure of someone opening then slamming door shut struggling to flick the light on to illuminate the drawing room.

“Its cold outside.” She started reasoning out. “Don’t put meaning to something as mundane as getting cold.” Yujin corroborates on her defense making Hyewon snickered due to Yujin’s obvious actions sounding the alarm of suspicion. “Okay, you don’t have to be super defensive.” Hyewon raised both of her arms letting the controller fall into her lap. “Have you eaten your dinner? If not there’s leftover pizza in the fridge, just heat them.”

The thing is Minjoo treated her on a late-night dinner on the way home but she doesn’t want Hyewon teasing her once she finds out so she devised a fake alibi saying she hasn’t eaten anything. “I really hate you Kim MInjoo.” She muttered to herself after she put the pizza inside the microwave.

 

“How’s the meeting?” Hyewon the curious cat asked.

 

“Not much. The rest is classified information so I am not allowed to say anything other than that.” Yujin simply answers munching on her pizza.

 

“Don’t try me Corporal Ahn. I know you just like the back of my hand.” Hyewon traced the back of her hand trying to get her point across. “You wouldn’t be this work up on something unless Kim Minjoo is involved.” The munching noise in the connected kitchen halts.

 

“And I Oop. I might have struck a nerve with that one.” Yujin made it known to everyone that she is Minjoo’s number one hater. “Yah, stop it unnie. You are spoiling my dinner.”

 

“Okay, okay. There is no need to be hostile Yujin-ah. I’m going to bed now. Before you go to bed, please clean up first.” Hyewon said before heading to her own room.

 

LOC: PRIVATE GYM – HOUR: 05:01

 

“Our hardworking Yujin-unnie is not surprisingly early today.” A voice of an angel captured Yujin’s attention. “I needed to unwind.”

 

“What happened?” asked Wonyoung.

 

“Lately, my emotion is taking over, that its start clouding my judgment. I must keep them tame before departing for an important mission.” Yujin explained while maintaining speed running on a treadmill.

 

Wonyoung nods her head, “Who’s watching the cadets today?”

 

“Sergeant Yena is present to watch them over.”

“I know what you’re thinking!” Wonyoung suddenly speak.

 

“Captain Kim…….”

 

“Don’t you dare!!!” Yujin interjected cause she knows the disaster that will follow after Wonyoung finished saying that certain name. That surname alone is enough to make all her hair stand.

 

“….. Minjoo!” Wonyoung continued with no malice lacing around her voice. So annoying!!!

 

“What makes you so heated every time Captain’s name is mentioned?”

 

“Let’s check today’s menu.” Wonyoung understands that Yujin will never be ready to open up about her past.

 

 

LOC: UNKNOWN – HOUR: UNKNOWN

[TW: mentions of blood, and violent scene.]

“Mom! Where are you?” Yujin yelled for her mom, confused where did her mom go. She never once left her alone on her own after the incident with her father turning into a monster trying to hurt them. Luckily, they were able to outrun, outwit her former father. Yujin get off her bed, carefully stepping into the hard wood trying to produce as little noise as she can fearing that something might happen.

Her mom trained the young Yujin to be always vigilant, watching her every move in order to maximize the probability of them surviving for another day. It takes a lot of time to get used to it but she eventually did. After rounding every corner of the house, at the farthest section of their new home, a room stand erect with its door ajar urging Yujin to enter.

Wiping her tear stained face using her tiny baby hands, Yujin carefully reached the doorknob with her baby hands, pushing the door open, producing a creak due to the rust corroding the door hinges. Soon, growling noise invades her ear before she could even enter the room. A person who resembled her mother lunge on to the poor girl. The hungry mutant’s disfigured face winced in pain feeling her body restricted by the chain wrapped around its neck. Yujin stay rooted in her place as she slowly realized that this creature trying to eat her alive is the former shell of her mom.

 

There is a written phrase in the wall behind the creature written in blood, it says. “Sorry, mom failed to protect you.” Yujin is doomed. Adults like her mom struggled to keep themselves alive, then what are the odds for a 7 years old kid like Yujin to survive on her own. Yujin refused to accept her fate.

Yujin was rescued by a patrolling caravan of armed forces after they rounded the area for any survivors. That is how Yujin ended up in the settlement. After a few years at the tender age of 9 she joined the ARMY. Yujin spent all her time keeping to herself, nobody wants to be friends with her until a very cute little girl by the name of Minjoo started talking to her in the cafeteria one day. Yujin hated it at first, why is this tiny kid constantly bothering her up to the point of her taking the empty seat next to her every lunch. “What are you doing here? You’re not supposed to be here?” Yujin assumes that this kid tailing her is a civilian. “I’m here because of the same purpose.” The tiny kid answers before she resumes devouring her meal. Its none of her business so she just let the kid do whatever she wants as long as she stays out of her way. Not long after their short conversation if you can call it one, she is starting to warm up to the tiny kid who resembles a walking angel. Just like that, they started training together and even spends their rest day with each other, playing just like every normal kid. It takes a lot of time to adjust in a military life, but to Minjoo and Yujin its nothing as long as they have each other.

 

Minjoo is good in everything except she in close-combat. Every opponent secures victory as long as they are pit against Minjoo. It even gets to the point that the cadets wanted to be partnered with Minjoo just so they can have an easy way to victory as the younger cadet always ends up lying on the floor.

 

In the sea of voices seemingly mocking Minjoo is the lone voice of a girl cheering for her. “Joo-ya, stand up. You can do it!” Her best friend, Yujin’s expressive orbs stared at the hopeless girl urging her to stand up. Minjoo once again master the courage to get back on her feet, ready to receive more hit from her opponent. To everyone’s dismay, her merciless opponent sends her flying to the wall completely blacking the poor girl out.

 

The click who housed the strongest cadets started circle around Yujin seemingly mocking her for associating herself with such weak links like Minjoo. “Ahn, she will only drag you down one day. Its best that you cut her out before it happens. Don’t waste your potential, look you can join us. We will help you out.” The leader of the squad persuades Yujin to be one with them. Yujin looks at Minjoo who’s body still lying in the floor because no one dares to even help her fearing that the group of bullies will go after them. Now that she thinks of it, Minjoo is indeed pathetic.

After that encounter everything has change; Yujin started to distance herself from MInjoo. She also started hanging out with Kline as their new recruit. To make the matters worse, she casually joins on bullying Minjoo, calling her names such as, “extra baggage and a total waste of oxygen.”

 

The bullying continues until the day of their graduation. Minjoo graduated on top of their class despite her many flaws. Every flaw they find she managed to outweigh with her valuable skill sets which infuriates the Kline members. Yujin caught Minjoo looking at her, eyes longing before severing their connection fearing that Yujin’s click will go after her once again.

 

Wonyoung’s question brought the memories stored in the deepest portion of her brain suppressed for a long time. She hated Minjoo for all the good things she did to her in exchange of all the terrible things she did to her in an attempt to keep her so called friendship with KLINE members only for the same people she trusted to betray her. Without her knowledge, the members are smuggling illegal weapons and selling sensitive information to HELIX. As final means of salvation, they put the blame on her.

 

Thanks to Major Kwon that she survived her suppose to be execution day, she watched the people she spent her whole life received bullet straight to their brain preventing them from coming back to life. But what makes it so bittersweet is…… it was Minjoo who literally fought for her rights to stay in the ARMY and stopping them from sending her outside as form of “light punishment.” She received a considerate form punishment, she will never be promoted outside of the enlisted officer.

 

“Earth to Yujin-unnie?” Wonyoung waved her hands close to Yujin’s face.

 

“What?” Yujin asked in return. “I thought something must have happen to you. You were zoning out for almost a minute now.” Wonyoung beamed.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. Let’s head to the cafeteria. I’m famished.”

 

After checking today’s menu, the two enlisted officers made their way to the training yard. Their closeness seems to earn weird stares and unwanted attention from non-commissioned officers, but Wonyoung didn’t an eye. All they can do is stare and judge so why waste precious energy to apprehend them for not minding their own business, right?

 

LOC: TRAINING YARD – HOUR: 6:00

 

The two enlisted officers witness a miracle, Yujin’s mood improve after her inspection. Every nook and crannies are spotless as if the whole place was not a bloody mess yesterday. The gears are placed in order and no sweaty trainers is lying in the dirt ground. Once her inspection is done she headed towards the direction where the cadets is lined up. “You all never clean no matter how much I nag. Heck, you don’t even show a little respect on me, which is fine. But, what in God’s miracle is going on? Is the third reckoning coming?” Yujin blasted in the sea of silence. She immediately got her answer once she reached the front.

 

“Corporal Ahn, you never change.”

Oh. Damn it! “I will never get used to this? What are you doing here Minjoo?” Yujin never used honorific when talking to MInjoo. “Its not a crime to pay you a visit, right? Just like the old days.” Minjoo casually answers not minding the weird stares they are getting from everyone.

 

“Cadets proceed to the learning center and you Private Jang Wonyoung stay here and do the same routine other cadets and privates did. There is no exception despite your close relationship with Corporal Ahn.” Still in line, the cadets and privates left for the learning center leaving Wonyoung who’s preparing to gear up and Specialist Kang busy doing her own job.

 

“Yujin please follow me. You have a new assignment and I wanted to show you something.” Minjoo said leaving no room for Yujin to object. Yujin looks at Wonyoung feeling sorry that she got punished because she is hanging out with Yujin.

 

“Minjoo sus!!!” Hyewon breathe out.

 

“Private Jang, what are you doing? You’re ordered to circle the oval.” Hyeon call out the younger girl. “Run or I will report you to Captain Kim.” Hyewon warns Wonyoung.

 

“SIMP!!!” Wonyoung shouts stomping her feet hard on the ground. “Why did I join the ARMY. This is so hard.”

 

Both Hyewon and Wonyoung joined the ARMY late so they kind of too old compared to other cadets. But Hyewon is steadily climbing the ranks just as Yujin is stuck in the bottomless pit of her own creation.

 

“You stink!” Wonyoung continues to whine every time she completes a round trip which earns a pit of laughter from Hyewon. “What to do? Our instructor will surely punish me for missing an important class.

 

“Enjoy your punishment Wonyoung-ah. I’ll head out to the towers see if I can get useful info about Yujin and Captain Kim.” Wonyoung rolled her eyes.

LOC: LOOKOUT TOWER – HOUR: 6:50

 

“Captain Kim, what are you doing here?” Yena inquired head still bowed down. Minjoo return the gesture before answering the question. “At ease.” “Will you help Corporal Ahn adjust to her new assignment Sergeant Choi.”

 

“Of course.” Yena waited for Minjoo to get down the tower so she can finally get the latest happening from Yujin. Once Yena made sure Minjoo is no longer visible from where she is standing, she turns her whole attention to Yujin. “Care to explain?”

 

“There is nothing to explain Yena-unnie. Just show me what do I have to do!” Yujin avoids answering the question. “All that time together she didn’t even bother to tell me what I’m supposed to do.”

 

“Pardon?”

 

“It’s nothing unnie. Let’s just do our task.”

 

“When did you start taking order from Captain Kim.”

 

“YAH!!!!” Yujin is starting to get annoyed. God, she doesn’t even want to think about the time they will spend together beyond the wall. ‘How do I face her? After all the trouble she went through because of me.’ Sometimes Yujin is struggling to understand herself – there are times she thought of patching up her relationship with Minjoo but;

Every time take a glimpse of Minjoo, all the memories she kept under lock and key in the deepest section of her brain just came rushing back. It’s not Minjoo fault why she ends up this way, it was a product of wrong decisions. She is too ruined and there is no hope of fixing her. It’s the least she can do for her. What if she will end up betraying her once more? She can’t afford to see Minjoo suffering again because of her. Minjoo reminds her of her mom, who protected her and in return she lost her life. It’s the best that she stays out of Minjoo’s life in order to save her.

Behind Minjoo’s precious smile and strong demeanor is a fragile girl who works hard in order not to disappoint her family who depended on her for survival. The lack of male son, pushed the eldest daughter to join the ARMY because of provision included on its perks. Minjoo shared that story to her.

For the first time since her arrival 20 years ago, Yujin was able to see how the world looks outside the wall. All her life she spent most of it moping and feeling sorry for herself and the people she ended up disappointing for her wrong decisions. “All this advance technology yet no one has been able to travel back in time.”

 

AIs runs their defense system down to their automated nuclear weapons yet no one thought of traveling back in time to alter the event that lead us to this.

 

“If a single time travel device exist Yujin, will you take the chance and alter one event in your life or will you let that chance slip?” Yujin recognized that familiar voice. The intruder stood beside her, waiting for Yujin to answer the question.

 

“Yes.” She simply answers. Her company just nods her head recognizing her answer.

 

“I would let my mom just eat me alive. I spent all these years in agony Minjoo and feeling sorry for myself.” It feels good pretending that everything is fine between them.

 

“I see myself shrinking as the years passed. I can’t take this anymore.”

 

“We can act like what we used to be. Tell me what’s bothering you and I can assure you that once we stepped out of this tower, everything is back to normal.”

 

Yujin accepted the offer. For the first time Yujin is not trying to strangle or push Minjoo to her death. “Here, I brought your favorites. I don’t know if they are still your favorites.” Minjoo speak twice the speed feeling nervous that her effort to create this meal will fall into vain. Once she managed to peek at the person she missed so bad, all her negative emotions washed up. All this year, the carefree Yujin is still inside. There is still hope for her to help pull Yujin out of this whirlpool of misery she created in her head.

 

“Eunbi-unnie and I missed hanging out with you.” Minjoo let’s her know. She also prepared the meal Yujin is feasting right now. After hearing what Minjoo said, Yujin stopped eating her meal. “I know there is no point of telling you this knowing that the bubble we created this very moment will only burst once it’s time to go down. Just forget that I said that.”

 

Yujin wanted to wipe the sadness she brought on Minjoo’s face but she is too scared that she might once again betray the older girl. It’s always the same reason. “Want some?”

 

Yujin offered Minjoo churros just like what they always do back then. This gesture made Minjoo smile then she nodded her head and let Yujin feed her. “Woah, my cooking skill is still intact.” Her face resembles of the old internet meme personality Pepe the Frog.

 

“Where’s Yena?” asked Yujin.

 

“I sent her down to get you something to drink. Today’s weather is hot, you might need some refreshment to keep you hydrated.”

 

The guilt bubbles inside Yujin once again. She didn’t deserve all the kindness Minjoo keeps showing her all these years. “Yujin-ah, I’ll see you later.”

 

She was left alone once again. Yujin did not fail to see Minjoo’s aura change as she slowly turn around to take her leave. Oh, how much she wanted to stop Minjoo from leaving her. Hands reaching out to the person she cares so much dangling down as the fear of repeating the same mistake clouds her mind. Tears streaming down her eyes, once she spotted someone is slowly approaching the spot she is currently staying. She tried her best to keep her sobbing low but she failed to hide it once she knows that the approaching figure is Yena, she failed to recognize her due to the pool of tears welling up on her eye socket blocking her already poor eyesight.

“, what happen to you? Did she make you cry again?” Yujin ignored her as her hands reach from the assortment of drink Yena brought with her. She only shakes her head, not saying anything just letting the stream of regret flows down her socket. It’s devastating to see Yujin back to square one. Regret and guilt eating her inside leaving a void that no one could fill.

 

Dusk is slowly approaching its time to signal their people positioned outside to take the samples and gathered valuable items back inside. Yena shows Yujin how to temporarily disable the sentinel once their people approached the demarcation line. Sentinel is an AI control defense system the founder of this settlement invented. Its job is to take down anything who tries to approach the barricade they built around the city.

“Corporal, they radio to us. Prepare to disable the sentinel for 15 minutes. Shoot anything that tries to approach the open entrance.”

 

With a little sprinkle of bad luck, Yujin is put in a situation of whether she will disable the sentinel and allow the titan like mutant to infiltrate their barricade or let their comrades die in the hands of the approaching monster. There’s no room to panic, the time is slowly ticking, sirens blaring warning them of impending doom coming their way.

 

“What do we do?” Yujin gives up fighting inside her head and started asking for help.

 

Before the in-charge officer can answer her question. A series of flying arrows passed by her, “get your weapons and execute the intended command.” She must be crazy. Mounting her semi-automatic crossbow, breathing in and out she let her arrow fly doused with the deadly extract of the belladonna plant a strong poison enough to kill anyone who dares to mishandle it.

 

There’s 3 titan-like mutant circling around their poor comrades, “It’s okay Captain, you don’t have to sacrifice everyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter