11 One Winter Day

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S3: Panorama of Pearls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Drama, Fluff, Historical, Romance

Summary: Korea. 1940s to 1950s. Unfortunate events intertwine between two teenagers, who were just starting to realize their feelings for each other.

Word Count: 18700

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS3_OneWinterDay

 

A/N: THIS IS A WORK OF HISTORICAL FICTION. ALL CHARACTERS, ORGANIZATIONS, AND EVENTS ARE COMPLETELY FICTIONAL AND UNRELATED TO ACTUAL HISTORICAL EVENTS. HISTORICAL INACCURACIES MAY BE FOUND THROUGHOUT.

 

BY NO MEANS THAT THIS STORY IS SIDING WITH ONE CAMP OR ANOTHER. ALL HISTORICAL EVENTS ARE BASED FROM THOROUGH RESEARCH ONLINE.

 

LINES BORROWED ARE CREDITED BY THE END OF THE STORY.

 

TW: Mentions of war, slight violence.
 

***

 

One Winter Day

 

Wintry winds pierce through the thickly-padded western coat of a teenage girl as she strolls along the banks of the frozen Han River. Clouds start to settle along the blue horizon, hinting for a brief precipitation along the way. Temperatures have dropped significantly that day as it was in the middle of winter; around January in fact. Thick ice sheets have formed on the usually liquid waters of the said river, with vapour rising up decreasing visibility towards the other side.


 

The teenage girl, named Ahn Yujin, was hailed from an elite family based on Seoul. She has been living with her dad after her Mom ran away to Japan many years back. Though her matured appearance, she is currently a 2nd-Year High School student in one of the private schools in the city.


 

She looks around, as her body shivers in desperation to find warmth. Her aquamarine-hued western coat didn’t do much to keep her warm, either, though she would be noticed as somewhat an exquisite member of the society. A number of errands were in store for her that day, thinking why shouldn’t she just do it when it’s becoming a bit balmy.


 

As she tries not to slip on the frozen ground, a sloppy old man walks in front of her towards the chilly frozen river. Her eyes follow, wondering if the man was okay in some way. His outfit is pretty much not in fit with the season, as the man also shivers trying to get onto the other side.


 

On her right a Japanese soldier shows up leading Yujin to hide in a nearby bush, minding that the situation of her nation isn’t in good hands during that time period.


 

“What are you doing, old man?” The soldier spoke in a boisterous volume of his native language. Yujin heard and understood the exchange, since Japanese was widely spoken in Korea at that time.


 

The man didn’t reply back. Yujin expected the worst, as the sudden rush of adrenaline warms her shivering body. When the soldier pulls out his handy gun, the man collapses in the middle of the frigid river.

 

The atmosphere was silent and Yujin held her breath, completely shocked with what she just saw. Moments later, another Japanese soldier came towards his comrade.


 

“W-W-What should we do?” The other soldier spoke, tone nervous.


 

“Let him be, the water should swallow him up by Spring. Come on, let’s continue our duties.”


 

As they leave, Yujin’s breathing went back to normal, creating puffs of vapour from . Quickly, she heads onto the city center in hopes to warm up for a bit before doing her errands.


 

The city, dubbed Keijo by the Japanese forces, has been modernized due to the influence of the west and the ideals of it’s captors. A cable car runs through the center, carrying diverse people with it. The said diverse people are a combination of different nationalities may it be a western foreigner, a Japanese, or a Korean. Scattered across the city, doing their tasks of everyday life.


 

* 3:24 PM *

* 1943, January 23 ; Saturday *

* - 8C ; 50% Chance of Snow *


 

The train station facade reads with thermometer readings, overlooking the passersby of the city. Everyone is dressed so warmly to the point where their individual figures puff up. With the trees bare, and a fine layer of snow collected in the streets, the city is indeed dull-looking especially during this season. One thing that livens up the dull are the unique stories of every individual on whatever activities they were doing in that time. Young children full of energy are found role playing at a fountain that is frozen yet bizarre if used with ample imagination. Rich adults dressed extravagantly, thanks to their western influences, are found hopping from one shop to another to buy their wants. The working adults are found walking along with horses that carry the things needed for themselves.


 

As Yujin strolled through the city center, bystanders were allured by her exquisite charm. Highlighted by her outfit, everyone knew that she came from an elite family. As she stepped foot onto a famous bakery, her lackluster expression suddenly changed into a bright one as her five senses were awakened by the beauty of bread...


 

Or by the dazzling aura of her long-time best friend Kim Minju.


 

“Kim Minju! Why are you here?” Yujin spoke as her smile stretched from ear to ear.


 

“Ahn Yujin? Woah, what a coincidence!” Minju replied as she showed off a shocked expression with her hands covering . “What brings you here?”


 

“I’m just warming up a bit before doing some errands for my dad, today is really cold isn’t it?”


 

“I know right! I already wore 5 layers but it’s still kinda cold!”


 

Kim Minju, hailed from a working class family, is living with her grandma, her mom, and her younger brother who is in kindergarten. Her dad works full time at a far-away factory in Kanggye to sustain the daily needs of their family.


 

“I wonder how it feels to be warm and comfortable in that outfit.” Yujin said as she pointed out Minju’s look, and compared it with hers. “This is the warmest clothing I could get and I still feel cold”


 

“But you look stunning as always!” Minju asserted. “I wonder how it feels like to wear Western Clothing”


 

Minju wore a typical modern-day coat that has been widely used by the people in that society. The earthy tones of her look blended well with the hues of the city, accompanied by a gray Siberian winter hat to keep her head warm.


 

“By the way, have you eaten already? I would like to pay for your order too!” Yujin offered as she slowly took a seat beside Minju.

 

“Oh, really? Thank you!” Minju showed off her adorable smile. “I’m currently waiting for my order but haven’t paid yet. Good thing you showed up, as I’m about to get broke paying for my tuition fees… oh, sorry. Nevermind hehe”


 

Yujin’s face turned disgruntled upon hearing what Minju had said.


 

“Minju, tell me. Is your dad not doing well? How could you not tell me you have no money!?” Yujin asked in a borderline intimidating tone. “Minju, I am very much willing to help you in any way! Just tell me anything and I will do my best to accommodate you!”


 

“Yujin-ah, you didn't have to…” Minju mumbled as she looked away from her friend.


 

Yujin extended her hands to hold Minju’s. “Don’t worry! I have a surplus of my allowances and I will support you in the best I can!”


 

Minju turned her head on her left to find their hands on top of each other. “Thank you, Yujin--”


 

“Excuse me, here is your order young lady!” The baker said as she brought down desserts to their table.


 

“Oh, Yujin. Have you ordered already?”


 

Time passed by as both of their stomachs were full of delightful pastry and hot chocolate. They sat for a while, conversing with each other about the realities of life.


 

“Minju, have you already studied for Japanese Geography quiz on Monday?”


 

“I don’t even know my country’s geography yet here we are studying for the land formations of a foreign country. Like is that information going to help me find a stable job in the future!?”


 

“I know right. Heck, why do we even need to speak Japanese in school. It’s clear that we are all Koreans and we have a language of our own!”


 

The pair looks around to see if there are any people around. There were none.


 

“By the way, I’ve heard that a lot of our classmates decided to pause their studies for a while. Judging by their reasons, it seems acceptable since our captors pushed for war related ideals rather than for the betterment of our general knowledge.” Minju sulked.


 

“What do you think? I was thinking of doing the same too. The situation around us seems so dangerous for us to continue our studies. It’s like, they are preparing us for a war rather than preparing us for a better life.” Yujin sighed. “It ”


 

“I want to live in an independent nation. Us Koreans are capable of governing our country too! Why are these major powers so desperate for a share of our tiny land. Their territories are so big already, just stop it”


 

“For real, for real”


 

The baker, named Eunbi, approached them silently.


 

“Good thing to know that today’s teenagers are politically aware and are desperate for a change.” Baker Eunbi smiles at both of them.


 

“Are we too loud? Do you think someone might eavesdrop our conversation and report us to the authorities?” Minju asked in a nervous tone.


 

“Don’t worry. I ensured that my shop would be soundproof. It’s getting late. You might want to avoid the frigid nocturnal winds later!”


 

“Oh right! I still have errands to do!” Yujin remembered.


 

“I’ll come with you! I find warmth when I’m with you!” Minju replied.


 

Sun fell down the horizon early, and the chilly winter winds were getting more vigorous. People scramble to find the indoor warmth leaving behind an unusually silent city. As they walked around a park, Minju noticed that her partner was noticeably uncomfortable with the weather. She took a glance at a nearby thermometer placed on a lamp post, for them to realize the temperature plunged to -12C in a span of a few hours.


 

“Y-Yujin, are you s-sure you are going to do some errands today? It’s really painful to be outside!” Minju wailed as another strong surge of wind blasted through the both of them.


 

“I-I d-dont k-k-know…” Yujin said as she struggled to move her jaws. “...I’m a-af-afraid dad would g-get m-mad at m-m-me”


 

Minju paused to take off her thickly-padded coat and wrapped it over to Yujin’s body in hopes to gain warmth. She glances around the city, looking for sources of heat nearby. “I see a fireplace, hang in there Y-Yujinnie” she said, and proceeds to offer herself to carry Yujin through her back.


 

“Be c-careful of t-the frozen a-and s-slippery roads, Minju”


 

“D-don’t worry, l-let’s go!”


 

Illuminating a dark street corner lies a bonfire hidden in an empty area. They hurriedly ran towards it, but in a way to avoid slipping down the frozen sidewalk. As soon as they arrived, Minju carefully placed Yujin near the fire and transferred her winter hat onto her friend. Minju slowly sat down and hugged Yujin on her side to provide her with more warmth.


 

“Are y-you getting m-more c-comfortable now, Yujinnie?”


 

“Please s-stay with me for a while. I’m f-feeling better now thanks to you” Yujin muttered as she rested her eyes for a while.


 

“Don’t worry. I’ll be b-by your side for the longest time!” Minju smiled.


 

Another surge of frigid winds blew right through the both of them. Minju hugged Yujin tightly, ensuring the winds won’t affect her friend in any way.


 

“Aren’t y-you cold, M-Minju?” Yujin asked while crouching under Minju’s coat.


 

“I still h-have 4 layers to keep me warm--- Oh, Y-Yujin take a look!”


 

Both Yujin and Minju rose their heads to observe the snowflakes slowly starting to make their way down towards the frozen ground. They moved their heads from side to side, spectating how mesmerizing a snowfall can be.


 

“W-Woah, it’s so beautiful!”


 

“I know right…”


 

A tiny snowflake made its way onto Yujin’s pointed nose. Minju notices and proceeds to have a good giggle.


 

“What are the odds Yujin…” Minju said as she placed her thumb on her friend’s nose to wipe it off. “...Should we go now?”


 

Yujin settles her cool hands onto Minju’s. “I’ll do it the next day. Let’s be together for a while”


 

The more snow fell, the more it made the city feel like a Winter Wonderland that’s only seen in Western movies. There is just something hidden within the pure essence of snow that made the scene more captivating, especially when two long time best friends were just chilling out in the open air, letting the snow touch their hair.


 

“Oh that’s right…” Yujin broke the mystical silence. “It was so frightening when I saw this earlier on my way to the city center”


 

“The what, Yujinnine?”


 

“There was this- man- I don’t know if he’s in his perfect mental state or not but- he just walked on the frozen Han River by himself when… when…”


 

“When…?”


 

“A J-Japanese Soldier came to spectate what just happened but instead ignored the man to collapse in these conditions. He even said to his fellow comrade to ignore him as the Spring will eventually swallow him to the depths of the river.” Yujin froze, clearly still being traumatized.


 

Minju brings herself closer to Yujin for another warm hug. “Don’t worry, they will pay”


 

Yujin looked up and stared into Minju’s side profile. “You look really stunning even though you are mad”


 

Minju looked back, mirroring the exquisite beauty of her friend in her alluring eyes. “You too”

She then places a kiss on her younger friend’s forehead, leading Yujin to choke on her saliva and to sport a face as red as a tomato.


 

Minju stepped back, not believing what she just did. “Oh, I’m really sorry! Did I make you uncomfortable?”


 

Yujin didn’t respond, trying to comprehend what just happened. “Woah-- I--”


 

Embarrassed, Minju ran to hide on a nearby tree trying to fly away from the humiliation she was experiencing.


 

“Minju~ Where are you?” Yujin shouted, echoing her voice around the area. “Oh there you are…” The younger one giggled as she ran towards the tree.


 

“You really gave me the utmost warmth for my unpleasant personality to be unleashed!” Yujin scoffed, and placed Minju in a kabedon position. “I’ll pay back for what you just did!”


 

The younger one made a pout, and made a kiss towards Minju’s forehead.


 

The phenomenal snowfall added a touch of magic as both were smiling at each other, still surprised at what they did.


 

“Don’t worry, Minju. That’s how friends show their platonic love towards each other… right?” Yujin faltered, while showing off an awkward smile.



 

“Uhhh… yeah! That is absolutely right!” Minju sneered. Both looked around in hopes to leave the awkwardness brought by the situation. “Let’s go home. We don’t want to freeze outdoors and to be ignored by those pesky soldiers”


 

“Oh, I almost forgot to give you back your coat and hat!” Yujin exclaimed as she removed the piece of clothing from her.


 

“No, you can keep it for awhile. Return it to me by Monday! Okay?” Minju replied, while exhibiting her candy smile. “Stay warm on your way home!”


 

“You too! Stay safe!”


 

“Stay safe too, Yujinnie!”


 

The pair waved their hands at each other for goodbyes, with no one taking the lead to leave as if it were their last time together…


 

“I love you…” Yujin whispered.


 

Minju clearly heard what Yujin had just mumbled. Instead, she pretended not to hear it but to whisper it back. “I love you too…”


 

Snowfall has started to diminish, but left behind giant pools of magical white powder everywhere. They both went the opposite ways, with Minju’s home on the west, while Yujin’s home on the east.


 

Step by step, Yujin’s shoes left a mark on the snow puddles. She felt an instant jolt of separation anxiety as soon as she didn’t sense Minju’s presence anymore. It felt lonely on her way home, with not a single person outside to accompany her in some way.


 

She looked down on the ground, as the snowy sidewalk turned dry, and temperatures became somewhat balmy. The once bare trees and bushes suddenly turned lively and blooming with petals descending from above to make an illusion of pseudo snow. It was back in spring according to the fragments of Yujin’s memory.


 

*** April 1942 ***


 

“Where do you want to eat?” Minju asked, wearing her sailor style school uniform.


 

“Ramen?” Yujin smiled. “I’ve been craving for it nowadays hehe”


 

“ Your smile that is drawn on the sky

 

Is shining so bright

 

The beautiful flower in your heart

 

You’re my Violeta

 

I’ll protect you, I’ll shine brightly on you

 

You’re my world, my light, oh my heart

 

Violeta~ “

 

[ Violeta by IZ*ONE ]


 

Vibrant shades of white and pink dominated the scenery, adding to the overall comforting ambiance and slowed down time on the two.


 

“Ugh, this is really good. Thumbs up Ms. Jang! You make the best noodles in the world!” Yujin boasted.


 

“Awww, because of that I'll give you extra serving of noodles. Thank you for supporting my small shop!” Ms, Jang replied.


 

Minju stares at Yujin's side profile with confusion. “Watch your cheeks when you’re eating geez”


 

Yujin looked back. Leading Minju’s thumb to land on her lips.


 

“Uhh, I was just trying to clean… your cheeks…” Minju stuttered.


 

“Oh, it’s okay!” Yujin chuckled and caressed Minju’s soft and silky hair. “You’ve got some petals on you. Don’t mind it, you look more beautiful in it.”


 

The older one’s eyes sparkled and her cheeks went as pink as a cherry blossom as her heartbeat count increased. “Oh… wow!” She stuttered. “...Ms. Jang, your ramen sure is extra spicy today haha!”


 

“I didn’t even add a pinch of capsaicin…” The business owner whispered.


 

After a single blink, the scene changed again. This time, the environment felt sizzling hot.


 

*** July 1942 ***


 

“ The salty sea breeze go Wavy Wavy

 

Riding on that cloud

 

Maybe My destination is a place you await

 

With a smile brighter than ever

 

Look at the sunshine, are you ready?... “

 

[ Yummy Summer by IZ*ONE ]


 

“Come on Yujin! The waves won’t hurt you!” Minju assured as she pulled her friend into the depths of the beach near Incheon.


 

The summer sun shined ever so high in the sky, giving off an abundance of warmth to the ground. Trees take advantage of this short-lived season to highlight it’s festival of greens. As hot as the city might be, breezes from the nearby sea give off a refreshing vibe, especially to the young beachgoers making the best of this season.


 

“Are you sERIOUS!? Please there might be creepy sea creatures hidden there eww!”


 

Minju paused and looked into the horizon. “Yujinnie, look how beautiful the ocean is! This is the only time where we can comfortably swim in the sea. Come on, give it a try!”


 

She reached out once again, ensuring the scared puppy to be slowly comfortable with the sea. “Do you feel how nice the waters are touching you? Let’s sit down. Let the wave crash on us”


 

As they sat, a huge wave crashed only onto Yujin, which led her to be fully drenched with saltwater.


 

Minju laughed, like crazy.


 

Even if she seems to be insane laughing on her own, the exquisite glow of the sun made her feel like a tropical goddess. Warm hues start to color the sky, as the sun prepares again for its slumber.


 

“Yaaa Ahn Yujin you should take a look at yourself! HAHAHAHAHA!”


 

“It’s okay if I look like a joke right now. At Least i’m grateful to witness the one that I like be happy” Yujin grinned, as she spoke into her mind.


 

“Should I call you Seaweed-jinnie?”


 

“Minju, look out!”


 

Another huge wave crashes onto Minju. As the water subsided, the situation went rather cartoonish as a random fish got inside the older one’s mouth, leading Yujin to laugh outrageously.


 

It ended abruptly as another round of huge waves went crashing on the both of them for the scene to end. The overall ambiance suddenly cooled down and the air felt crisp.


 

*** October 1942 ***


 

“Ahhh, this is it. The perfect weather!” Yujin cheered, with both arms flapping on sideways.


 

“If there is only a way to capture this picturesque nature I’m looking at right now.” Minju sighed.


 

“But you’re looking at me?”


 

“Yes…” Minju muttered. “Oh, I mean the background. The background Yujinnie! Look!”


 

After going through hectic examinations, the pair decided to de-stress in a nearby park. In the peak of Autumn, an array of warm festive colors parade the skyline and the wind brings with it fallen leaves, which finds the environment too chilly to stay in.


 

“ When the flowers of every color bloom and the flower petals flutter off

 

The festival is at its peak, it won’t end, this is the

 

My every moment is beautiful and dazzling

 

Just remember this one thing

 

Now is the moment~ “

 

[ Fiesta by IZ*ONE ]


 

Yujin looks around, “I know, it’s really pretty.” and admires the person in front of her.


 

Minju choked. “Chill, so anyways…”


 

“Want to eat Ramen at Ms. Jang’s?” Yujin asked, reaching out to hold the hands of her friend.


 

“I don’t see why not,” Minju replied, grasping her friend’s chilly hand.


 

*** Present day ***


 

Feeling a lot more chillier, she opened her eyes to the dark scenery of winter. Watching the snow puddles get piled up by a fresh batch of snow, she ought to build a tiny snowman just to pass time. She may be alone, but inside her vivid imaginations lies Minju giggling like a young child, watching the younger one make her own snowman. As the air felt more unbearable outdoors, she briskly walked her way through her home, puffing clouds of vapour on her haste breaths.


 

*** Friday ; February 5, 1943 ***

One Winter Day,


 

“Today, I turned a year older. This is how it feels being an adult huh.” Minju muttered, stretching her arms wide open to welcome another sunny winter day. Going down to the unusually empty living room at this hour boggled her mind, thinking it might be too cold for her family to decide to sleep longer than usual.


 

Going to school is still the same way, everyday. Taking the downtown tram to walk a few hundred meters to the entrance of their all-girls Private High School, the only thing different is how she was welcomed by her group of friends because it's her birthday.


 

“Happy Birthday Angel Goddess Kim Minju!” All of them cheered.


 

A bouquet of flowers, a huge delight of pastries and a gift of some school supplies made her feel appreciated on her special day. Plus, it's their last day as a 2nd Year high school student, moving them towards a sentimental emotion of finally being adults in life.


 

The hallway was flooded with students, bidding their tearful goodbyes to each other. It becomes twice the sadness as they move upstairs on where 3rd Year students reside, not knowing what could happen to them after finishing their highschool studies.


 

Probably, the same goes to both 1st Year and 2nd Year students as it seems too dangerous for classes to continue at this point. Talks about cancelling schools are ongoing, and no one really knows if they still have the chance for them to meet after that day.


 

The wooden classroom of Class 2-5 is no different from the outside. Students were crying to each other, much more than the graduating batch. As Minju and her friends entered, there were no signs of Yujin everywhere, kind of weird since she is always early no matter what the circumstances are.


 

“Have you guys seen Yujin? She can’t be late…”


 

“I don’t know… Oh Minju, can you please get the party table from the rooftop? The teacher asked us to bring one but we’re kinda busy…” Yena pleaded.


 

“Uhh, why me?”


 

“Please?” Chaewon’s eyes widened.


 

“This seems suspicious but whatever.”


 

Going upstairs to the rooftop is a hefty challenge, accompanied by the wailing cries of students no matter which floor. The moment she opens the rusty door reveals Yujin holding a bouquet of flowers and showing a sweet smile.


 

“Happy Birthday, Minju!” Yujin grinned from one ear to the other, giving the bouquet to the celebrant.


 

“Oh, you’re here huh?” Minju grinned, still panting about how tiring it was to go upstairs.


 

A hug is in store for the older one as Yujin spreads her arms wide open. “Come here!”


 

Both shared a warm hug, comforting themselves from the freezing winter.


 

“Congratulations on finishing 2nd Year of High School, too! You’ve done well!” Yujin muttered, as her fingers traveled along Minju’s silky hair.

 

“You too, Yujinnie…” Minju replied, and tears began to flow once again to her rosy cheeks. “Will there be a chance for us to study in 3rd Year?”


 

“I’m not sure…”


 

“How can we meet again after this?”


 

“What are you talking about? You’re now ruining the mood.” Yujin pouted.


 

“But we’re in a difficult situation right now. I don’t even know if I still have the chance to study for the next school year” Minju sobbed.


 

“Minju,” Yujin spoke in a sorrowful tone. “I know there are a lot of uncertainties going on around our situation. If we’re really meant to be, I’m sure that fate would do something for us to reunite again. I’m confident that things would go really well for the both of us. Our future is bright, if we believe it would be. Don’t worry, this won’t be the last”


 

Rummaging her pockets, she stumbles upon a golden pendant. “Here, keep in mind that I’m always with you, wherever you go, if you had the pendant with you.”


 

Yujin went ahead to place the golden pendant around Minju’s neck, appreciating how beautiful it is when she wears it.


 

“Yujinnie, I-I don’t have anything to give to y-you..” Minju stammered.


 

“It’s okay. But if you don’t mind, your hairpin will do.” Yujin smiled, and grabbed the silver hairpin from Minju’s hair. “I’ll surely keep in mind that you are always here in my heart, if I have this hairpin with me at all times.”


 

Minju hugged her dearest friend again, “Thank you, Yujinnie…”


 

“Welcome” Yujin blushed, caressing the older one’s silky hair.


 

Laughter soon followed, and the pair held hands together.


 

“You’re sure we’ll meet each other soon, right? Promise!” Minju requested.


 

Yujin promised, leaving off in a smile.


 

They went back to their classroom afterwards for the closing program. As what had their homeroom teacher said,


 

“Things may seem uncertain at this point, but keep your faith my 2-5 ladies. Pause your studies if you need to. Refrain from going out too much in your school breaks. Pray that the Japanese may surrender soon enough and let’s hope for the World War to end. Congratulations on finishing another school year, ladies. You’ve done a great job! The moment this mess subsides, you are all free to visit our school anytime, may you want to finish highschool or just take a lovely stroll around no matter what season. As a teacher, let’s see each other again in a more peaceful world.”


 

Everyone inside went dead silent. Only the chirps of a nesting bird echoed the place, but the mood was indeed sorrowful. Everyone silently cried, even the teacher himself after giving his ending speech.


 

“Teacher, why do you have to be like that?” The class president Chaeyeon sobbed. “I’ll surely miss all of you, my class 2-5. Thank you for all these great memories.”


 

“How about, let’s meet each other here a year later? Even if it would take 5 or 10 more years, we should be complete together! Plus today is Minju’s birthday! Let’s make her day extra special!” Yena crowed, breaking the sad ambiance of the classroom.


 

“Sorry for ruining your birthday, Minju. Everyone, let’s all sing a effervescent happy birthday towards our celebrant, shall we?” Their homeroom teacher requested.


 

“Happy Birthday to you!”


 

“Happy Birthday to you!”


 

Hyewon, Yena, Chaewon and Yujin secretly lit a candle on their cake behind Minju’s back.


 

“Happy Birthday our Minju-ring!”


 

They slowly tip-toed their way towards the celebrant’s seat,


 

“Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday to you!”


 

,and presented themselves in front of her. “Make a wish!”


 

“I wish for this unfortunate situation to end, and may everyone have a bright future ahead of them!” Minju wished, blowing a puff of air to extinguish the candle leading the whole class to cheer no matter what.


 

“I also wish for the same, Minju.” Their teacher sobbed, wiping his tears with his cold hands. “You are now all dismissed. See you soon!”


 

***


 

“Thank you, everyone! Thank you for making my birthday worthwhile!” Minju grinned.


 

Hyewon, Yena, Chaewon, and Yujin smiled back, with their prominent eye bags popping out. “We thank you too, for making our unexpected farewell party memorable!”


 

“I guess I’ll be going out now girls,” Minju faltered, with her arms wide open expecting for a hug.


 

“Wait!” Yujin reaches her arm out while holding onto something. “Here, I forgot to give you a gift.”


 

She hands out a big wooden box, sealed with cute accessories. “Please accept this with all your heart…”


 

Minju initially would decline, but something inside that tells her to accept it. “Are you sure? Thank you so much, Yujinnie!”


 

The younger one pulls Minju towards her and hugs her. “Take care, my angel”


 

The rest watched in a dismayed expression. “Ohh, the cringe.” Hyewon shrugged.


 

As she was about to walk outside the gate, she took a glance again at Yujin’s alluring beauty. Slowly, her eyes were b with tears that started to blur her vision. Waving back for the last time, Minju didn’t hesitate to take one last glimpse of her friends. She goes back to where Yujin and her friends once stood, but they were already out of sight. Thinking they might have left already, Minju walked home tearfully.


 

In truth, they haven’t left the school grounds yet, but moved towards the bare bushes instead as her eyes that were once filled with hope, have now become red. Clouds settled in gradually, and rain heavily poured down blending in with the tears they had no control of stopping.


 

“I’m sorry, it seems to rain heavily now. I’ll be going, hope all of you do well.” Hyewon sobbed, with tears continuously streaming down her cheeks.


 

“Us too. Sorry, Yujin. Take care!” Yena and Chaewon followed.


 

Left alone in the pouring rain masked her sorrowful cries in streaming down her sullen face. It took awhile for her to pick herself back again, and left the school for good.


 

***


 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY MINJU!” Minju’s family cheered the moment their daughter entered the main door.


 

“Oh my gosh, what happened? Are you okay sweetie?” Her mom asked,


 

Minju’s eyes were swollen due to never ending cries, but the fact that she was drenched was more concerning to her family.


 

“Don’t worry. I just forgot my umbrella. I didn’t know it would rain today,”


 

“I know right, it's so weird. The sky was definitely clear this morning. Anyways,happy birthday and congratulations on finishing your school year well! Please dry yourself up first and head down here for lunch!” Her grandma said


 

It took a while for Minju to fix herself up, as her thoughts were overfilled with Yujin only. It felt hopeless at that point, prompting her to cry in sorrow once more, but celebratory lunch comes in her mind first before going on a breakdown to sleep.


 

“Sweetie, is it okay if you have to pause your studies this year? It’s getting more dangerous as the world war goes on, and my worries grow each day,” Her mom pleaded, as her hands were firmly grasping to her daughter’s hands.


 

“I know, Mom. It was expected. I’ll take a break first,” Minju assured, but wondered when she could meet Yujin again.


 

She sits down on the edge of her bed, opening up the wooden box Yujin gave to her. Inside contains a sum of cash, a wooden figurine of an angel and a handwritten letter. The golden pendant was an added bonus, as she removed it from her neck to place it among the contents inside the box. Silently she weeped again, and hugged the wooden box to her chest before laying down slowly and went for a nap.


 

***


 

Spring has finally sprung, enabling new growth to the once bare landscape. Numerous beautiful flowers appear in a festival of pastel colors giving life everywhere. Just like how a fallen petal travels by on air into lengths of extremities, the situation goes the same to both Yujin and Minju who were barely doing anything to cope up staying at home due to the dangers of the ongoing war. Wondering, how could one be doing right now. Are they okay? Are they warm? Lots of questions were in store for each other, but didn't even have a chance to be asked.


 

Following balmy days comes the extreme heat waves of Summer. Sizzling every material that is exposed to the high UV rays of the scorching sun. Yujin’s birthday is getting near too, but how could Minju convey her thoughts to her since postal services were halted in the meantime? She had no one to talk to except her younger brother who barely even started to read and write.

Monsoonal rains came and went by, as the country prepares again for its slumber during winter.


 

*** Wednesday, September 1, 1943 ***


 

“We’re moving to where!?” Yujin snarled.


 

The once festive mood got disrupted by her father’s announcement.


 

“To Pyongyang, we’ll settle for good there.”


 

The lit birthday candle diffused into the awkward wind, as Yujin couldn’t simply understand what her father meant.


 

“B-but, why?”


 

“Our business thrived more in that city rather than here in Keijo, so I’ve decided to invest more in that area.” Her father stated.


 

“Dad! I find more comfort and peace here in Keijo! I don’t want to go back there again!”


 

“I’m sorry, but I see no good use if we continue to live in this damned city. Don’t worry, I’ve hired some connections for us to move in there without the interference of the Japanese Government.”


 

Disgruntled, she sat down by the wall and stared into the abyss. “How about Minju?” She thought, “I shall return in here soon, nothing would go wrong in the future right?”


 

“Start to pack your bags, we’ll be moving by December.”


 

“D-Dad, can I atleast bid farewell to my friend? I shall let them be notified of my leave!”


 

“There is no need--”


 

Yujin kneeled and grasped her father’s hands. “Please, it’s been months since I’ve seen her! I think she deserves to know!”


 

Her father sniveled deep in thought, deciding what to do on his mind.


 

***

 

“September 1st, Autumn’s finally coming~.” Minju sang, watching the morning sun slowly going upwards to be covered by the luscious gingko tree, which is non-autumn like at the moment. “Are you awake Soobin?”


 

Her bedroom had a glowing warm hue, mirrored by earthy elements of the walls, curtains, and more. Her younger brother beside woke up groggy thanks to her sister’s call, wanting to pee first thing in the morning through mumbled groans.


 

All dressed up for another “unproductive” day, Minju wrote a letter expressing her thoughts and wishes on her friend’s 18th birthday, which she is hoping to give as soon as they’ll meet again.


 

But when?


 

“Yujinnie, Happy 18th Birthday!

 

It's been months since we last met, I wonder if you are doing fine. Day by day, you have been living rent-free on my thoughts as if you were here right beside me. I want to see you today, but I’m not allowed to go out because it is a scary world out there. Stay at your luxurious home too, you may have tons of resources to cope with the boredom.

 

I’m not doing much by the moment. Only taking care of my younger brother, babysitting and teaching as if i’m a kindergarten teacher of some sort. I have worries for the future of this young guy. I’m also doing a bit of gardening by our backyard since it’s the perfect time to do so. If only I'm allowed to see you, I’ll teach you the basics and hope you could grow a lemon successfully.

 

Take care and stay safe.

Love, Minju

September 1st, 1943.”


 

There, an idea flashed in front of her eyes. Starting from that first letter she made, she would write more of it whenever she wanted to. Afterwhich all the letters written will be compiled in a single package to be handed out to Yujin by the time they will meet again. Not knowing when, she continued to write more on random intervals. With varying lengths from one letter to another, recording her daily life as a “caged” woman trying to get the best out of her uncertain youth.


 

Until...


 

*** Tuesday, December 7th, 1943 ***

One Winter Day,


 

Gusty winds blew from the vast plains and mountain ranges from Siberia to the unstable peninsula bringing with it icy cold temperatures that felt like winter chill in the wee morning hours of this early winter day. The house was ghost-quiet, dark and cool enough for Minju’s family members and herself to sleep comfortably under the weight of wool blankets.


 

Suddenly a loud car honk echoed in the area, yet no one budged an eyelid to see what was going on. The honk was then repeated numerous times to the point everyone woke up and marched into the front gate, with Minju taking the lead and was only accompanied by her thick blanket to combat the cold.


 

Slowly, her vision sharpens to find two cars no poor man would afford to own, illuminated by it’s bright headlights. A heap of packages and belongings were piled up on top of both cars, signifying someone to move to another far-away place.


 

A door opens, and a sophisticated woman walks out from it. Wearing a dark magenta cashmere coat, accompanied by a pure black scarf and a cherry red beret wide enough to cover her face, she goes near the groggy mess that Minju’s in and slowly removes her hat in front of her.


 

“Minju,” The woman cried, yet Minju has to recognize who she is. “I missed you so much!”


 

“Y-Yujin?” She stuttered.


 

As her eyes were wide open, she realizes that it is actually her endeared bestfriend Yujin, whose eyes were brimmed with tears that were on the verge of falling off to her porcelain cheeks.


 

In a flash, Minju gave off a long-awaited hug, “I missed you too…” and cried.


 

Her family spectated from the front door while Yujin’s dad and house workers were waiting inside the car, witnessing how sincere a best friend’s love can be towards each other.


 

“How have you been? Are you doing well?” Yujin asked, wiping off the fresh tears from Minju’s face.


 

“Yes… Yes! B-but where are you going?”


 

“Pyongyang. My father decided to manage full-time in our business in that area.”


 

“B-but why? Can’t you just stay here?”


 

“Sorry, I know it is difficult but I have no other choice. Don’t worry, i’ll be back here soon, ok?”


 

Minju teared up in shock, prompting her to sit down on the road in distress.


 

“I’m sorry” Yujin whimpered. “Please take care of yourself okay?”


 

“Noo...na!” Her younger brother shouted, holding a shoebox on his tiny hand.


 

“Soobin! Where’d you get that!?” His mom asked.


 

Minju turned back, “Thank you, Soobin. That is what I needed right now.”


 

She went back to the front door to get the shoebox, filled with 12 letters she had written throughout Autumn, including the birthday message that is already long due.


 

“I’ve waited so long for me to give these to you. Read these letters if you miss me incase”


 

“Of course I’ll miss you every second of my stay there.” Yujin chuckled. “I guess I have to read these on every second of my stay there, too”


 

Minju paused, carefully fixing her thoughts on what to say next. “Ever since we were younger, I only felt this weird sensation in my heart. Everytime I see you, my heart just flutters and I don’t know why. Whenever you were gone, I would always seek your presence, as if you mounted your debt to me. Yujinnie, I have to say I like you, a lot.”


 

Yujin got surprised, her eyes widened like a curious baby.


 

Minju continued, looking down at the ground embarrassed. “And I hate it when there won't be a day for me to see you as I get my source of happiness from you. Your smile, your care towards me, everything that is about you. Yujinnie, I assure you that what I’m saying is how I truly felt in these past years. I locked it up in my heart because I'm afraid you won’t reciprocate your feelings. I’m confessing to you right now because my guts told me this is the right time…”


 

“Why would you hide it, when I already knew you’ve always liked me since then?” Yujin smiled, holding on Minju’s chilly hands. “Minju, look me directly in the eyes, and say what you feel towards me.”


 

Minju slowly rose her head up, slightly hesitant. “I like you, Yujinnie.”


 

“And I like you too.”


 

Surprised, a single tear flowed on her cheeks, which was then wiped by Yujin’s right thumb.


 

“You knew how I expressed those feelings to you, but you’ve only seen it as somewhat an activity for really close friends and I find it hilarious.” Yujin continued, grinning from ear to ear.


 

“Really? I’ve always assumed you liked me too but I don’t want to hurt my feelings…” Minju faltered.


 

“Minju, don’t worry. All I have in my heart is you, and I would never replace you for anyone else! I assure that I would always be with you, despite being far away from each other. I’ll be thinking about you all day, what to do on the day we meet again. It’s just a pity that we confessed our feelings for each other this late, but thank you for expressing what you felt to me.”


 

Another loud honk echoed in the area as the morning sky started to lit up, producing bright hues of blue each second as the sun prepared itself to rise above the horizon once again.


 

“I guess you have to leave now…” Minju murmured, trying her best not to drop a single tear when the younger one leaves.


 

“You’ll be inside my mind every second, every minute, and every hour when I’m away from you. We’ll see each other soon, without separating again and I promise. If you ever see a cherry blossom blooming in the middle of winter, that's how I’ll show my promise to you.” Yujin promised.


 

“Take care on your trip and stay safe. Send me a letter if you can” Minju said as she went for a hug towards her best friend.


 

“Take care of your life too. I’ll see you soon. I don’t know when, but even if it will take 10 years, or 80 years, I’m sure we will meet each other again, no matter what season.”


 

Yujin slowly pulled herself away from Minju while keeping her positive composure each step walking while going back inside the car. Even through what little space the door has left, Yujin didn’t hesitate to take one last glimpse of her friend while smiling from ear to ear.


 

As the cars took a U-turn and slowly moved North, Minju ran in hopes of catching it one last time, wailing her thoughts in the middle of the road. As soon as she was with herself again, she took a while to pause and let everything sink in. She couldn’t stop crying, even if the cars are already far beyond the maximum range of a human eyesight. The sun has already risen, illuminating the area on it’s path showing off it’s gold hues yet Minju didn’t move an inch from her position. She sat alone in the middle of a cold road, assuring herself that this won’t be their last interaction yet.



 

***


 

The cars have crossed the 38th Parallel, going through countrysides and mountainous regions to get to their destination. Bored, Yujin opens up the shoebox that she has been holding on to for quite a while. There, 12 letters are waiting to be read one by one, expressing Minju’s thoughts and t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter