13 Two Less Lonely People

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S3: Panorama of Pearls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Fluff, Hurt/Comfort

Summary: Sometimes, all we need is someone to share our loneliness with.

Word Count: 9312

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS3_TwoLessLonelyPeople

 

Two Less Lonely People

 

After looking around for a new place to stay in, Yujin finally found one which matched her preference. While informing her about house rules, the landlady toured her around. She got excited as they were headed to the rooftop, the view is amazing. It's one of the reasons why she picked this place, a common area for the rest of the tenants but she knew it'll be her favorite spot. When they reached the top, someone was there playing a guitar. Trying not to cause any disturbance, Yujin quietly walked around. It didn't take long for the other tenant to notice them. They exchanged smiles after making eye contact. The landlady introduced them to each other.

 

"She's Yujin, our new tenant on the second floor."

 

Yujin smiled, showing her deep dimples.

 

"She's Angel, she lives on the third floor."

 

Angel smiled and nodded.

 

Yujin and the landlady went down while Angel stayed on the rooftop.

 

"She also likes the rooftop. You might come across her often", the landlady said.

 

Two weeks later, Yujin moved into her unit. It took her all day to organize everything. She let out a deep sigh then smiled as she looked around her new place. Her moment was interrupted by a stomach growl. She decided to head out to grab a meal, rewarding herself with food for finishing moving in. On her way back, she went to the convenience store to buy some snacks and beer. Just a mini celebration for her first night in her new home. Instead of going in, she decided to go all the way to the rooftop. As she was approaching the top, she heard the sound of guitar strumming. She saw Angel but she didn't want to disturb her so she just quietly occupied an empty chair. But as soon as she sat down, she saw Angel looking at her.

 

"Hi!"

 

She awkwardly greeted.

 

"Hi!"

 

Angel replied as she stopped playing her guitar.

 

"When did you move in?"

"Today"

"Really?"

"Hmmm."

"It's nice here."

 

Yujin handed a can of beer to Angel. The latter smiled as she took it.

 

"Thanks."

"I was worried I'll be disturbing you…"

"Ah…no…I can't sleep so..."

"I see."

"You bought a lot of beer. It looks like it's gonna be a long night."

"I wanted to celebrate my first night here."

"Oh…"

"How long have you been here?"

"2 years"

 

There was silence as the two turned their eyes on the nice view in front of them. Angel finished her beer then turned to Yujin.

 

"I should call it a night."

"Ah…"

"I know that song."

"Huh?"

 

Angel pointed at Yujin's shirt.

 

[I'm perfectly lonely]

 

"I designed it."

"Really?"

"Same with the one you wore last time?"

"Which one?"

"The day we were introduced"

"Oh…"

 

[the pieces don't fit anymore]

 

"Why sad lyrics though?"

"Just because"

 

Angel slowly stood up and held her guitar.

 

"I'll go ahead."

"Okay."

"Thanks for the beer…and…it's nice talking to you."

"You're welcome…we can talk some more…"

"Next time. Let's do that next time. I don't want to interrupt your mini celebration though I already did'

"It's okay. I enjoyed your company."

"Slow down on your beer."

"I will."

 

Angel went down while Yujin stayed under the night sky.

 

It's been two weeks since Yujin moved to a new place. Living alone for the first time, she's getting accustomed to a new lifestyle. She's been familiarizing herself with the neighborhood so she takes time to walk around. She recently found a cafe' where she grabs her morning coffee. The playground on the next street reminded her of her childhood, those happy times. She even got to know the other tenants. Those occupying the first floor are both married. The one living beside her on the second floor is a couple as well. And there's Angel whom she found out is a year older than her. Knowing the new people surrounding her and the new environment she's into made her realize that she's really now in a new world. But as the saying goes, "There's no place like home". Having a place to go to at the end of the day is what makes her happy these days. Although she's alone, she's happy.

 

Today is grocery day. On her way out, she bumped into Angel.

 

"Hello."

"Going somewhere?"

"Supermarket"

"Ah…"

"You ride a bike?"

"Yes. I just met a friend nearby."

"I should get going."

"Okay. See you around."

 

Yujin headed out. Angel went home. After more than an hour, Yujin came back with bags of groceries in her hands. To her surprise, Angel passed her by riding a bike. She smiled as she saw Angel back pedal towards her.

 

"Need help with that?"

"It's okay."

 

Angel drove away as soon as she heard Yujin's response. A few moments later, she came running towards Yujin. She reached out her hand.

 

"Let me help you."

 

Yujin smiled as she handed a couple of bags to Angel.

 

"Thank you"

"I thought you're living alone."

"I am."

"You bought a lot."

 

Yujin chuckled.

 

"I just realized that when I was going home. I guess I'm still not used to this."

"You'll get there. At least you won't starve for a month."

"But this is just for a week."

"Wow! You eat this much?"

 

A little embarrassed, Yujin chuckled. When they reached Yujin's place, Angel handed the bags to her.

 

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome."

 

After Yujin closed the door, she quickly opened it again. Angel was about to leave but she stopped when she heard the door.

 

"Will you go to the rooftop tonight?" Yujin asked.

"I won't", Angel replied.

"Ok…ay."

 

Angel smiled.

 

"Beer's on me tonight."

 

Yujin smiled from ear to ear as she closed the door again.

 

"What time should I go?", she told herself as she began organizing her groceries. As time passed by, she began thinking why she asked Angel that question. Just like that, it's night time already. She started preparing for dinner. As the days go by, she's slowly getting the hang of it; her daily routine. While eating her meal, she kept looking at the clock. She began talking to herself.

 

"Should I go after eating?"

"Isn't that too early?"

"9 would be good"

"Why am I making a big deal out of this? It's not like it's a date"

 

Yujin finished her food and immediately washed the dishes. It's half past 8. She grabbed some snacks and decided to head out. Coming early is not that bad, she thought. As she climbed up, she wondered if Angel was there already. When she got there, no one was on the rooftop. She laughed at herself for getting excited for nothing. While waiting, Yujin played some music. It's been thirty minutes since she got there but there is no sign of Angel coming. "I should've stuck with 9", she said to herself. Looking for something to do, Yujin began rearranging the rooftop's setup. She exchanged the placement of the chairs, pushed the table to the other side, and moved things here and there. When she's done, she ate the snack she brought. It's 9:30 and she's still alone on the rooftop.

 

"Did she forget about it?"

"Should I go down to her unit?"

 

Yujin sighed as she just sat and waited. Around 10 o'clock, Angel came. She quickly approached Yujin. What she saw was a woman on a chair with her eyes closed and snacks on the side. She smiled as she sat next to Yujin. She called her a number of times and waved her hand in front of her face but there's no response.

 

"She fell asleep."

 

Angel placed the beers she brought on the table and quietly opened one. Glancing on the woman beside her, she can't help but smile. After a while, she began thinking.

 

"Should I wake her up?"

"I'll just wait for her to wake up"

"What should I do?"

 

Angel finished a can of beer but Yujin is still sleeping. As she was opening another can of beer, she noticed some movement. The one who asked her if she's going to the rooftop tonight is finally awake. When they made eye contact, Angel was all smiles while Yujin felt shy.

 

"I guess I came late."

"I guess I came too early."

"Sorry "

"No. Don't be. We didn't agree on the time, so it turned out like this. It's still tonight though."

"You must be tired."

"Ah…a little."

"You should rest."

"It's okay. We're here anyway."

 

Angel handed a can of beer to Yujin.

 

"You did all this?" Angel asked as she noticed the changes on the rooftop.

"Yes. I did it while waiting. Is it okay? I mean, to rearrange things here."

"It's fine. It's a common area anyway. Tomorrow, it might have a new look."

 

Conversations over beer began.

 

"So, how are you liking this place?"

"I like it a lot. Even the neighborhood is nice. It's all good."

"You live alone, right?"

"Yeah. And I eat a lot."

 

Angel chuckled as she remembered the grocery bags.

 

"Do you live alone too?"

"Yes. Actually, I've been living alone for a long time but it's been just two years since I got here. I'm used to it."

"It's a first for me. I lived with my parents before deciding to live on my own. I'm just getting used to this."

"When you don't have anyone else except your own, there's no other way but go through everything by yourself. It'll be hard but somehow rewarding. It gets lonely but at the end of the day, you'll realize, happiness can be found even if you just have you all the time."

 

After speaking, Angel chugged her beer.

 

"'I'm alone but I'm happy', that's what I realized on my first days here. Choosing something for myself has never felt so good. Loneliness doesn't always mean you're alone. You can be lonely even with people around you. In the same way, you can be happy by yourself just as you're happy being surrounded with other people."

 

Yujin finished her beer. They were silent for a moment.

 

"Last one", Angel said as she handed another can to Yujin. The latter gladly took it.

"Cheers!"

 

After finishing their last beer, the two cleaned up as they called it a night.

 

"Thanks for tonight."

"Sorry for coming up late."

 

Yujin smiled.

 

"I won't come that early next time."

"Oh! There's a next time?"

"Ah…eh…"

 

Angel chuckled.

 

"Just tell me the what time "

"I'll make sure to tell you."

 

***

Yujin is glad she's met a good neighbor. Somehow, it made her comfortable living in a new environment. For the next few days, she didn't come across Angel. Since she doesn't know her number either, she had no choice but to hope that they'll bump into each other. Coming to her unit came to mind but she doesn't have the confidence to do it. When the weekend came, she remembered they agreed to meet at the rooftop again. Yujin came up to see if Angel was there but she was greeted by the couple who lives on the same floor as her. When she went down, she stopped by Angel's unit. With hesitation, she pressed the doorbell. There was no response. She pressed it again but the result is the same. "Maybe she went out", she told herself. Yujin decided to just go home.

 

The next day, Yujin went out to buy coffee. On her way back, she saw her landlady. They talked for a bit and Yujin thought of asking her about Angel.

 

"Have you seen Angel? I haven't seen her for days."

"Ah…Well, she usually goes somewhere during this time."

"I see. I even went to her unit but no one is answering."

"You two seem to get along."

"We're around the same age so that helps. We had some good talks and she seems really nice."

"As long as my tenants get along, I'm satisfied."

 

Yujin smiled.

 

"She'll probably be back tomorrow."

"Okay. Thank you!"

 

Curiosity quickly hit Yujin after her conversation with the landlady.

 

"Where did she go?"

 

She went home to finish the shirt designs she's working on. Her love for music and scribbling led her to designing shirts using song lyrics.

 

[I wouldn't be here if I didn't love you]

 

While working, she remembered that Angel noticed her shirts. What her tenant said earlier came to her mind too. She shook her head to shrug her random thoughts. She kept herself busy with the design she's working on. When she checked her phone, she realized that it's Saturday. She should be resting or having fun but she's working instead. After finishing one shirt, she decided to stop and watch movies.

 

Yujin woke up really late the next day. She won't get out of her bed if not for her growling stomach. After washing up, she went to the kitchen to prepare her first meal of the day. It's past lunch time but she's making breakfast. Today's task is cleaning the house. While doing her chores, she heard her doorbell. She rarely gets visitors but as soon as she heard someone is at the door, only one person came to mind. "She's coming back today", she thought. When she opened the door, her expectation was not met. Her neighbor next door is borrowing a can opener. Yujin lent hers. As she closed the door, she began thinking, "Why am I waiting for her?".

 

"I must be out of my mind…or not…"

 

Yujin went back to cleaning her house. Not long after, her doorbell rang again. This time, she's sure it's her neighbor returning the can opener. When she opened the door, she froze.

 

"Hi!"

 

Yujin wasn't able to say anything but in her head, this is what's loud and clear: "I'm happy to see you".

 

There was no can opener but an indoor plant is being handed to her by the person she was expecting to see.

 

"What's this?"

"Something you can display in your new house. I bought it on the way back and thought of giving it to you."

 

Yujin smiled.

 

"Thank you! Would you like to come in?"

"Can I?"

"Yeah. I was cleaning actually but it's almost done."

 

Angel smiled.

 

"Coffee, juice, tea, can I get you anything?"

"Anything is fine. Am I your customer?"

 

They both laughed. She prepared coffee and gave it to Angel.

 

"Thanks"

 

Then there was silence.

 

"You have a really nice smile", Angel said after seeing picture frames on the side table.

 

Angel's comment surprised Yujin.

 

"That's random."

"I already noticed that the moment we met. Your pictures here confirmed it."

 

Yujin felt shy. Her response surprised Angel as well.

 

"You can hide anything behind a smile."

 

Angel stared at her.

 

"I agree with you on that. We can choose to be happy to conceal the sadness and whatever emotion we want to hide. With just a smile, we can hide what we truly feel from others but not to our self."

 

Yujin didn't respond. Angel drank her coffee. They went silent again.

 

"See you at rooftop later?" Angel asked.

 

Yujin was the one who asked for a next time but Angel invited her first.

 

"Okay."

"9 pm?"

"I'll be there"

"Thanks for the coffee and for letting me in"

"No problem."

 

When Angel left, Yujin cleaned up and placed the indoor plant at her dining table. She smiled not to conceal anything, she smiled because she's genuinely happy. And it's not just about the plant. It's Angel. "She always knows the right words to say", she uttered.

 

For some reason, Yujin is more excited now than when she asked Angel if she's going to the rooftop before. Despite the excitement, she had no plan of coming early this time. She still didn't know where Angel went over the weekend. Earlier, she was considering inquiring about it but she opted not to. But deep inside, she really wanted to know. When the clock hit 9, Yujin headed out. On her way up, she heard the sound of a guitar. A curve was formed on her lips as her steps went faster. When she got there, she saw Angel with her guitar. The latter waved at her.

 

"You came early this time."

"No, I just came on time."

 

They smiled at each other. Angel placed her guitar on the side. No beers either. The two sat beside each other.

 

"I thought I'll get to hear you play a song "

"Ah! I'm not that good though. I just know how to play."

"At least you know how to play. I know how to listen."

 

Angel laughed.

 

"Next time. I'll practice for it "

"I'll wait for it then."

 

Angel took a deep breath as she glanced at Yujin before speaking.

 

"I want to tell you something."

 

Upon hearing those words, Yujin felt nervous. After a long pause, Angel spoke again.

 

"Angel is not my real name."

 

She glanced at Yujin to see the latter's reaction. Yujin was surprised. Definitely something she wasn't expecting.

 

"But people know me as Angel. I got used to it and preferred it over my real name."

 

Angel looked at Yujin then continued speaking.

 

"When I met you, after we talked, I realized, I kind of see myself in you. I decided to go my own way, to leave everything behind and move forward. A new environment, a new start would help me forget the bad things that happened in the past, that's what I thought. It did help. But in my case, I can't just forget it because it's part of who I am. I just lived with it. I chose to have a different perspective. I chose to be happy."

 

Yujin just listened intently.

 

"What you said earlier about hiding behind a smile made me wonder. "She must be going through something too". I actually noticed that on the day you moved in but I don't want to meddle with you personal life. It's your story to tell. But I figured maybe I can share my story to you, with the hope that it'll make you feel better. Even for just a bit."

 

"Won't you ask for my real name?"

"Will you tell me?"

"Angel is the nickname given to me at the orphanage."

 

Yujin tried to control her reaction but her shock was so obvious.

 

"It's okay. You don't need to give me that look. I grew up bearing that name. Only a few people call me by my real name."

 

Angel saw the guitar beside her.

 

"Ah! I learned how to play it at the orphanage. I'm not a professional or something."

"You're not making an excuse, right? You'll still play me a song."

 

They both chuckled.

 

As the atmosphere became lighter, Angel came up with an idea.

 

"Let's act like it's the first time we met."

"Okay."

"Hi!"

"Hi! I'm Yujin"

 

Yujin reached out her hand. Angel smiled as she shook it.

 

"I'm Minju"

"Nice to meet you, Minju."

"You too, Yujin."

 

The two laughed at their short skit. When the laughter died down. Yujin noticed Minju's silence.

 

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I just get this feeling everytime I introduce myself with my real name. I feel relieved for some reason."

"Minju…"

"Hmmm."

 

Yujin smiled.

 

"Nothing. I just tried calling you that."

"You can still call me Angel if you like. I don't mind."

"Minju. I'll call you Minju."

"Okay. It's your choice."

"Minju…"

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Yah!"

"I need to get used to it. I've been calling you Angel so I have to practice."

"Suit yourself."

 

Minju doesn't really share her story to anyone. It wasn't easy. Seeing herself in Yujin somewhat gave her the courage to open up.

 

"I was actually at the orphanage for the past few days."

 

Yujin's lingering question was answered without her asking.

 

"So, that's where you went…"

"Why?"

"Ahm…I wondered why I haven't bumped into you. I even went to your unit."

"Really?"

"The landlady told me you go somewhere during that time."

 

Minju smiled.

 

"I celebrated my birthday there."

"Ah…"

"It has become a tradition ever since I left the orphanage. I spent my birthday there, with my family. They are my family after all."

 

Yujin wanted to ask something but she's holding back. Minju noticed so she .

 

"Spill it. Say what you want to say."

 

Yujin asked the question nervously.

 

"So...you…haven't seen…your…real family?"

"No."

"They haven't contacted you ever since?"

"Not that I know of."

 

Yujin looked at Minju then patted the latter's shoulder.

 

"My mothers said that my real mom begged them to take care of me. She apologized and left. When they carried me, they saw a note on the blanket that's covering me. My name was written on it. When I was growing up I asked questions too, same with my siblings there. I remember asking what my mom looked like. I also asked them why my mom left me. Then, I inquired about my father. Since I was still young then, all I can do is ask. And they managed to answer every single question I threw at them. Of course, I believed them. Until I reached the point where I understood things, they said things to make us feel better. From time to time I would still ask for any update but their response is always the same. Then one day, I decided to just stop asking. If someone comes then so be it. If no one comes, then that's it. You know in the orphanage we hear encouraging words a lot. We get to hear stories from those who were once catered by the orphanage and became successful. There's one that made an impact on me. She said that although she never met her biological parents, she's grateful to them because they let her live. She got the chance to see the world. They may have their reasons back then why they did what they did. She may not know it but instead of letting anger and hate fill her heart, she wanted to thank them for letting her be born. She said, life is indeed a gift. Not everyone gets the chance to live it but she told us that the fact that we're there, we should be thankful. It is then when I began to have a new perspective, to appreciate my life, and life itself."

 

Minju turned to Yujin who is teary-eyed.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

Yujin looked down.

 

"Yeah. I'm okay."

"Well, that's the story of my life."

 

What happened next surprised Minju. Yujin hugged her. Minju wanted to share her story with the hope that it'll comfort Yujin but she's actually being comforted right now.

 

"Thank you! For sharing your story, for telling me your real name", Yujin uttered.

"Thank you too, for listening." Minju replied.

"Minju…"

"Hmmm…"

"Minju."

"You're practicing again?"

"Minju…"

"Yah!"

"Can I get your number?"

 

Minju laughed.

 

"Sure."

 

As the night deepens the two decided to call it a night.

 

Yujin wasn't able to sleep right away. Hearing Minju's story really touched her. The fact that Minju willingly shared it to her made it more meaningful. While lying in her bed, staring blankly at the ceiling, she remembered how she got emotional while listening to Minju. She let out a deep sigh as she thought to herself, "I guess lonely people can detect each other's loneliness". On the other hand, she's impressed towards Minju's outlook in life. To some extent, hearing what Minju has gone through and the struggle she's still facing made Yujin less lonely. It comforted her. Though she won't deny that it reminded her of why she chose to live alone in the first place. Earlier, she was the listener. Now, she's thinking of sharing her story to Minju as well.

 

While having these late night thoughts, she didn't notice that it's almost 2:00am. She tucked herself in bed then closed her eyes. A few seconds later, her eyes are wide open again. She thought of sending a message to Minju. Grabbing her phone from the side table, she began composing a message.

 

"Thank you…"

"I appreciate…"

"See you at the rooftop…"

 

Whatever she writes, she deletes right away. She can't decide what to say. After several drafts, she finally sent a message.

 

"Good night, Minju."

 

When the message was sent, Yujin smiled as she threw her phone on the side. She can't believe it took her that long just to say good night. She wasn't expecting any reply given that it's already late but a message notification awakened her.

 

"It's late, you should sleep now.

Goo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter