27 Will it be our Last Time? Just Say No for Now

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S3: Panorama of Pearls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Action, Angst, Drama, Dystopia, Fantasy, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Sci-Fic

Summary: A new heroine has been discovered. People are waiting for the heroes to create a real-life Avengers. While Minjoo... She just wants her news to be the next headline

Word Count: 21012

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS3_JustSayYes

 

Will it be our Last Time? Just Say No for Now

 

Notes: a little bit of tw? Because of the action genre. Don’t forget to differentiate the italic and the normal words.


 

“It’s not a joke! I saw it with my own eyes!” the girl says, almost like a holler, even though she’s not alone in the cafe.

“Okay, Minjoo. Tone down your voice, please. Everyone is looking at us” the oldest, yet also the shortest girl tries to hush the loud girl, placing a finger before her lips.

“but Hyewon won’t listen to me, Eunbi unnie” this time, Minjoo manages to say it ‘quietly’ with her typical tone, which sounds like a crying wolf.

Eunbi just shakes her head, completely bewildered by the situation. Should she keep listening to Minjoo’s talk about a superhero- or at least a person with something peculiar in this world Minjoo met last night? Or decides to agree with Hyewon who thinks it’s just a mere fiction.

She’s closer to Hyewon’s side to be honest...

“Yah, I watch anime a lot, but I know how to differentiate the reality from fantasy. How am I supposed to believe it if you don’t even have any proof?” and with that she eats her blueberry cheesecake, fresh from the oven.

Minjoo with no response grabs her americano and takes a sip. Right, she doesn’t take any photos, how does she supposed to prove her argument? Everything she says will sound like a nonsense.

With that short moment of silence, Eunbi just remembers that they are in a cafe, in the middle of the town, filled with many regulars. Although those eyes slowly leave them because their noise is no longer being detected, Eunbi can still feel the embarassment. She doesn’t think her day will go like this.

Not allowing this situation to happen again any time soon, Eunbi tries to be as neutral as she can be. “Minjoo, can you elaborate your story in detail? So we can understand you better?” Eunbi looks at the girl’s eyes, as if her story is a serious issue.

The said girl is contemplating whether to tell them again or not, afraid of getting more denials. Minjoo hates it when no one believes her. She will never tell a lie. It’s her dignity as a journalist.

However, it feels nice to have someone who will listen and understand you. Minjoo knows that her curiousity won’t stop here. If she has someone that acknowledge the topic she’s interested, at the end of the day, she can eagerly share her feeling and frustration.

“Yesterday night, I took a stroll around our apartment building. As you guys already know, there’s a building under construction and it’s being abandoned for now”

Minjoo stops first, hesitates to say the continuation. Should Minjoo lie? Because she has known the consequences and it’s not like she can lie in front of Eunbi. She’s like a book, history book. Between easy and not to understand.

“I heard... gunshot sounds. Yes, sound(s)” Their faces look at Minjoo in disbelief. Not even a minute and Minjoo thinks to herself that she should have lied.

“And you checked them out? Minjoo- I know you’re always eager to search for new information since you are a journalist, but you shouldn’t get yourself into trouble. You didn’t even ask for my permission to go out”

“You should have called the police”

Eunbi and Hyewon talk in a consecutive order. They know very well that Minjoo is passionate with her occupation. She’s been ordinarily busy, that’s why they always free up their weekend to accompany Minjoo.

However, to check the source of the sound that you don’t usually hear in South Korea is just too naive. It’s like following the strange sound in horror films just because of the curiosity –and that’s how usually the terror starts.

“No, you don’t understand. The fight was nearly finished by the time I arrived at a certain floor. If I had hesitated, I wouldn’t have met the situation. I couldn’t just wait for the police to arrive there” Minjoo explains.

“So, what did you see there?”

Eunbi facepalms herself. Her assistant should have warned her, not getting immersed with the story.

Responding to Hyewon’s question, Minjoo proceeds to continue, “The one I assume to be the superhero was wearing a blue hoodie with a black jeans. I couldn’t see her face because of the mask. She protected me from... the gunshot”

Minjoo scratches the back of her head, completely nervous seeing her friends with ‘Why didn’t you call the police to begin with’ face. However, the incident didn’t traumatize Minjoo. She’s really interested. It’s not something you get to see in your life, normally.

Somehow, anything about this world gives Minjoo boredom, except for her relationship with many people. It’s just that the environment is kind of below her expectations. She needs to adjust herself better.

“What power did the heroine show?” Hyewon asks, she sounds curious this time.

“String? Or maybe webs? It’s sticky. I remember she pulled me using them” Minjoo tries to recollect the memory.

For the first time since Minjoo starts to talk, Hyewon looks thrilled, “Wow, she’s like Spider-Man?! You should have said that in the first part, Minjoo”

Minjoo just rolls her eyes, “You’re the one who cuts me”

It takes a quarter of an hour for Minjoo to describe how the mysterious person behind the mask took down a dozen of people. She also explains that those people were disappeared like ashes when they were defeated. That’s why there’s no police involved. It’s a relieved Minjoo didn’t call the police or she would have difficulties explaining the incident.

“Thanos must have flicked his fingers yesterday” Hyewon places her thumb and index finger at her chin.

“You keep talking about people whom I don’t know”

“What do you mean by you don’t know, Minjoo?!” and now it’s Hyewon’s turn to explain about Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Minjoo and Hyewon are bickering like before. With Hyewon poses like Spider-Man because the youngest won’t understand while she can just show some photos and videos. Eunbi just shakes her head –again. “Anyway, what happen after that?” trying to get the girl’s attention, luckily stop the girls from making a ruckus once more.

“Oh, she was about leave the scene, but I managed to ask her name, or at least her hero name, the name brings a good memory to Minjoo. She likes it, and has a feeling that there’s something more she can experience if she has the chance to meet her again.

“Azzo” Minjoo shortly continues.

“Is she Korean? That sounds like an old name from German, I think I’ve heard it before”

Minjoo really wants to smack Hyewon’s head. She’s denying the existance of her hero before, but now she’s asking so many questions.

“How could she answer me if she didn’t understand Korean?” Minjoo says sarcastically.

Pretending like she hasn’t asked a weird question, Hyewon asks again, “How about the mask? You mention it before”

For sure, Minjoo doesn’t want to expose the truth of the mask. Because... It will definitely lower the heroine’s honourability.

A white coloured dog on a printed paper. Using rubber bands around her ears to cover her face. If the situation were a little bit different, Minjoo would laugh or even avoided her.

“Just a normal mask I guess, I didn’t really see it” Minjoo lies.

And there goes their conversation when Minjoo sees a girl comes through the cafe’s door. The reason why she almost comes everyday. It probably will be okay if she goes there alone, but Minjoo insists to bring Hyewon and Eunbi over. When the older girls empty their weekend, this cafe is their only destination.

“Oh, it’s Ahn Yujin’s shift now?” Hyewon’s question gets ignored as Minjoo is only looking at her target. Minjoo knows that Yujin will only take noon to evening’ shift.

Hyewon looks at Eunbi with her sad face which looks like a meme, clearly screaming, ‘she’s ignoring me’

Eunbi just sighs, “Are you not going to order again?”

Minjoo just stares at her americano she’s ordered before. She can order a cake or maybe another americano since there is only cold water inside her plastic glass.

It’s not that Minjoo is shy or nervous, but she’s questioning her action. She feels like she’s stealing a piece of puzzle from a finished work, so she’s just going to wait. Until it doesn’t sound wrong anymore. For now, Minjoo is only going to see, how the story unfolds. How a coincidence or maybe more than that bring changes to her life.

It’s been so long since Minjoo is able to see Yujin, so she wants to do so while she has the chance.

Observing that Yujin takes order from another customer, happily gives a handful of loose change as her smile doesn’t fade has made Minjoo forgets Eunbi’s question briefly.

It doesn’t take long until the said girl notices that she’s observed, she just tilts her head as a response. Minjoo quickly breaks the eye contact.

Minjoo sighs before giving Eunbi another ambiguous answer, “I’m not sure”

 

-

 

“We are the superior ones. We can always be proud of it” that’s how the current teacher ended her lecture. A part of the students could be seen smiling at the statement, while the rest weren’t showing any emotion, obviously get used to it. Was it supposed to be normal or not when they get reminded everyday for that?

The recess time started and the students assembled themselves to report their destination for an annual project. Every voice in the classroom was either covering or was covered by others, creating layers of voices.

Asking, discussing, considering, and answering.

“Where are you going this year, Minjoo?” a new voice was approaching, the owner is someone whom Minjoo knew, Kim Chaewon. And the question, for Minjoo at least, was not hard to answer.

They made an inquiry as if their choices would make any different to the program and their life.

A program that was made to reduce the possibility of people pledging for the same right. To make some parts of the society feel important. As if there was no discrimination.

“I’m going to go to agriculture sector”

“Are you kidding me? Again?” Minjoo could see how Chaewon’s face changed almost quickly when she said that. Why people thought that she was stupid for going into that sector? That’s where their staple food came from.

“You have been there like 2 times already. And you will spend your last time going there for the third times? You don’t even create something related to cultivation, agriculture, or whatever they are. Why don’t you choose something else like social, education, or art district?” Chaewon’s face was really showing how disappointed she was right now. It’s true that Minjoo never created something related just as Chaewon said. However, that didn’t mean she could degrade her pride.

The main reason, was probably because Minjoo was not going to the same destination as her. Chaewon always says that she wants to go with Minjoo together, but she’s not interested in agriculture. As a tremendously ambitious person, she tried to never let her dream to be affected by another factors.

However, Minjoo has made her mind, “That doesn’t mean you can only learn about the specific subject the sector can offer. You don’t even try going to that place”

“Okay, I’m sorry. You can go anywhere you want. You can sit now, I will tell your pick to the class leader” Chaewon sighed and shrugged her shoulder, then she went to Hitomi, the person she mentioned before.

Thanks to Chaewon, Minjoo could go back to her seat right away.

And thanks to Chaewon again, now she was imagining something else.

How did all of this thing start?

For a moment, Minjoo would become a philosopher. ‘Create, huh?’

Right, they were called as the “creator”, a certain person who had the knowledge and ability to create something new. They use their brain to the maximum capacity, in short ‘Big Brain’

Born in the world where luck, money, and nepotism wouldn’t save them. There were lots of positive things they could get as well as the negative things. Every person was rated and judged based on their capability. A crazy amount of admiration or appreciation and there’s a perception where those below creator level would only hinder the creator itself.

Just like those people who didn’t even help during group assessment, the ‘encumbrance’? That’s how to put it simply.

This sounded like something that was able to establish a revolution or evolution if world’s system wasn’t like this to begin with.

It’s not the end, they also lived in different places.

Naturally, every country divides their own territory into 3 parts.

Central, Middler, and Outlier.

Central is for the creator, a place where creators keep competing in order to build new technology.

Middler is where the ‘innovators’ live, they aren’t able to create something new, but they can find another function, or maybe add some modifications to make things more sophisticated.

For innovators, they are allowed to visit Central with the aim of collecting ideas, especially when there’s an exhibition for the latest technology.

Lastly, live in the area of Outlier, where the borderline between another country and here is there, is where the ‘Dreamers’ live. To those who can only imagine, who can only dream, but don’t have the capability to make it come true.

Outlier’s environment is not really old school like a village or somewhere in rural, but of course the difference between Outlier and Central is too much. Outlier does receive some technology from Central, but not all of the people can use them like public goods.

Every country is indistinguishable to some extends. Maybe they have their own cultural universals, but still you can’t unseen the hierarchy.

That’s where a project was introduced. To every creator, in their highschool, every year, were tasked with visiting Outlier. A lot of them followed the program to show off, thought of them as a holiday trip, but there were some people who consider this project seriously to gather new ideas.

And Minjoo is one of the people who takes it earnestly.

Oof, was that how Minjoo thought of herself? Hmm, at least that’s how the author thought about Minjoo.

She didn’t really interested in agriculture, just like what Chaewon said. Every task she did was mostly related to education or social.

However, more than everything those sectors could offer, the main reason why she always chose to go to the same districs was because she had someone to see there.

Someone who gave a picture more transpicuous than her friends, someone who could free her from the pressure of being a creator, and someone who was always in her mind all the time.

She guessed the memory of their first meeting was still running free in her mind, refused to let go. Without realizing, her lips had already forming a smile, like a crescent moon.

‘Can’t wait to surprise her’ that’s what Minjoo thought about all day.

 

-

 

That night, Minjoo weighs up the pros and cons to decide whether she’s going to the construction site or not. With going there, she may be able to meet Azzo again. Though it’s just a small possibility, she unusually will use the benefit of the doubt to prove it. It’s not like her at all.

Since it’s cold outside, she wears her hoodie and starts walking to the place. There’s nothing wrong on her way, but when she arrives, no gunshot sounds like yesterday. The sounds themselves were vague that she barely recognized them at first.

Minjoo becomes so unsure, but now she’s there, it’s not a problem to check the scene with scrutiny.

The same floor, she finds Azzo fighting with another person, but this time there’s no weapon involved. That explains why there’s no loud voice can be heard outside the building.

It seems like the two of them are immersed in their battle that they don’t notice Minjoo’s present at all. Minjoo doesn’t have the intention to show herself either. She hides behind the pillar far from the battle zone, clearly knows that she will only make herself another nuisance for Azzo to deal.

They are so loud even though they have to focus on their battle

Minjoo tries so hard not to have a comment as it can reveal her position.

“I can’t wait to beat your ugly face” the unknown girl says as her forearms turn into steel, not only that, it’s blade-shaped. She jumps toward Azzo who once again sends out a structure of webs to pull her away from the spot she’s standing.

“Bruh, I wear mask. How do you know that I’m ugly?” Azzo is at her defensive stance as she keep avoiding the strikes.

Diagonally up and to the right, horizontally to the left, diagonally down, and complete the ambiguous circle she makes. Again and again, creating a pattern and waiting for the right time.

“Your forearms are dangerous, so I’ll bind your arm instead” Azzo pulls her hand, resulting in the pattern of webs to be tighten around the girl.

“That way you can’t move them”

When Azzo thinks her webs can do the trick, the steel girl proves her wrong. Her forearms turn to normal and the string around her gets cut, showing her spiky arms that have become solid steel. Just from that gesture, Azzo knows that the blade is extremely sharp.

“Aw woman, you don’t tell me that you can do something like that. You waste my effort...”

At least Azzo know that her enemy can’t fully turn to steel. Only 2 parts at a time. Now the forearms begin to turn again, Azzo has to think of another way.

Meanwhile, Minjoo suddenly realizes something, ‘Their voices are getting louder and louder. Are they getting closer here?’

Can’t ignore her thoughts, she snoops around the pillar and finds that it’s indeed true that they’re getting closer to Minjoo’s position.

‘Oh . Better grab something’

Azzo let out webs toward the girl’s right arm and hastily pulls her closer just to give a calf kick. Sadly the enemy has turned her lateral thigh and lower, countering Azzo’s attack.

“Sh*t”

Has no time to check ‘the soon to be bruise’ part, she has to dodge the blade coming toward her shoulder. After she manages to dodge it successfully, she thinks of another idea.

With the intention of provoking the enemy, Azzo brings her closer to Minjoo. It seems like the steel girl hasn’t noticed about it, different from the hero.

When they pass the pillar, Minjoo who barely notices at first just opens her eyes wide, staring at Azzo as if she’s looking for explanation, but Azzo doesn’t bother to do so as it can reveal her plan.

Once again, Azzo relies to the webs she produces to keep the steel girl’s eyes on her, so Minjoo can hide her stealth.

The girl swings her blade arm to cut the web before it touches her, “I won’t fall for the same trick twi-“

The figure plops down to the cold ground, unconscious. Minjoo just bonks her with a wooden plank, it even breaks into 2 parts.

“Please tell me this is what you mean by bringing her closer” Minjoo feels bad for the girl, she must have hit her hard, especially her head is not like steel. It’s just.... head.

“Yeah, thank you for getting the gist of it. Before she gets back her consciousness, I have to do something, can you look at another direction?”

“Yeah yeah, sure” Minjoo says and looks at nothing. She wonders how long she has to look away. What if Azzo is already gone when she looks back? But she’s glad that the hero doesn’t leave her alone.

“Done”

Minjoo turns around and is greeted by the sight of Azzo standing alone. There’s no trace of what happened to the defeated girl. She guesses it’s like yesterday. ‘Thanos flicks his fingers again’ Minjoo thought.

“It’s dangerous to go here, you know? I might not be able to stop the enemies at some points. What if they’re coming after you?” Azzo calmly stands there, makes sure to leave a wide space between them. It sounds very daring, knowing it’s their second time to meet each other and the hero is already care this much for the citizen.

“Then I won’t come here again” Minjoo says, Azzo cast down her eyes and replies with a simple, “oh okay” Minjoo doesn’t catch the glimpse of the hero’s disappointment.

“-but I have an offer to settle. Can I.... take photos of you during your action?” what a direct question to be honest. The hero doesn’t understand though.

“Ah, how rude of me. My name is Minjoo. We met yesterday, but only I got to ask your name. I’m a journalist and I want to feature you in my news stories, a feature on Seoul Daily, our nation’s newspaper” for a moment, Minjoo feels proud how she is able to work there. Despite not having any of her news to be featured on the headline, her writing skill is amazing for sure. She used to dream of becoming a writer. Because it’s not very pressuring, until the deadline is near.

“What is a... journalist?”

An unexpected response comes from Azzo and Minjoo doesn’t know how to answer that. There’s a possibility that Azzo doesn’t understand about news too.

Nonetheless, Minjoo tries her best, “the person who involves in writing? Proof-reading? Editing? Like....” she’s like typing on the keyboard, illustrating it in the air, hoping the latter can understand. Minjoo lets out an awkward smile because it doesn’t work “And if you’re good at it, your news stories will be put in the headline” Minjoo continues.

Azzo grabs her head with both of her head and tilts it to the right, “Head... Line?”

‘I guess this will take a longer time than expected’ Minjoo thought. She immediately comes with another idea.

“Are you free tomorrow afternoon? Let’s meet somewhere-” but now Minjoo thinks about it again, Azzo won’t let go of her mask, right? Imagine walking around the town with someone who wears mask. If it weren’t for the mask, Minjoo would invite Azzo to the cafe where Yujin is working, but she guesses that option is unavailable now.

“Nevermind, meet me at my house at the morning and we will talk about this together. If you’re not coming, then I won’t disturb you by coming here again. I’ll respect your decision”

This time Azzo has no reply. She just nods her head. Minjoo is a little bit worried about it though, because the hero seems so unbothered.

Azzo walks closer to the edge of that floor, since there’s no outer wall built yet, guess it’s time for the hero to go. She gives a last glance to Minjoo and gets a smile as a response.

“Pie pie” Azzo bids her goodbye and proceeds to be a modern tarzan, leaving Minjoo alone inside the building. Minjoo just waves her hands, waiting for Azzo to be out of her sight completely.

‘Did she just say byebye cutely? Wow’

 

-

 

It took 2 hours to get there. With the advance infrastructure, the long distance could be taken in a short amount of time, Outlier didn’t feel so far away from Central anymore.

In her road trip this time, Minjoo could see a significant difference. Just like her second times going there, she barely recognized the place. As if she was brought to a different sector.

Nonetheless, the place still looks ‘greener’ than Central, makes it more beautiful and fresh.

Their first destination was, of course the hotel, where they would rest for the next 2 weeks. They put out their luggage from the vehicle and began to walk into the lobby. There, they were given some instructions by the teacher in charge, “After you get into your own room, any activities you want to do will be your own responsibility. Act like a trustworthy creator and don’t make any commotions” and with that, the teacher walks away to her own room.

Right, during this 2 weeks, it’s up to them to do anything. To stay in the hotel all the time was absolutely okay or to go on an expedition all day and didn’t even come back to the hotel was okay either.

Unrestraint, everything was easy for creators.

However, that’s not a bad idea for Minjoo as she already knew what her purpose of coming there.

Without entering her room, she brought her luggages and used one of the hotel’s accomodation to take her there.

Exploring a place which was no longer familiar, filled by different houses and buildings, acceptable amount of pedestrians.

It didn’t take a lot of time until Minjoo arrived. The car left and she started to wander around, toward a vast land where enormous greenhouses and a sizeable rustic vintage farmhouse could be seen.

Minjoo didn’t have to walk till the door to knock in order to meet that someone as she saw her walking in the greenhouse.

So Minjoo called her name, “Yah, Ahn Yujin!”

Yujin actually didn’t have to turn around to recognize Minjoo’s voice, but recalling their chat these days, Minjo didn’t inform Yujin at all about her arrival. Yujin looked at girl, astonished. That’s the reaction Minjoo aimed for.

“Kim Minjoo!” she shouted her name while running closer, never fail to flutter Minjoo’s heart. Just like a puppy greets her owner, Yujin enveloped Minjoo in her embrace, giving her a mellow feeling. That was what Minjoo had been yearning for. Something that technology would never be able to replace.

Yujin released the hug, still showing that ‘I can’t believe you’re finally here. Why are you here? You say nothing about this’ expression, so Minjoo used that moment to say, “Surprise?”

When Minjoo thought her smile couldn’t get any wider, Yujin proved her wrong. She grabbed Minjoo’s hand and led her into Yujin’s house, “Let’s get inside, I’ll cook dinner for both of us”


 

Tiredness started to kick in as Minjoo laid down on the couch. This cozy feeling made her realize how she had done a lot of activities today. From the beginning when she arrived, until this evening when Minjoo was waiting for Yujin to say that dinner’s ready.

She chose not to give in to the drowsiness, she her handphone. There’s no message other than Chaewon’s. She sent Minjoo some photos visiting Outlier’s social sector with Hitomi. “I guess they’re having fun”

Minjoo sent some encouragements through words and entrusted a greeting for Hitomi because she was not close enough to have her contact.

Minjoo put her handphone down as she heard Yujin’s voice calling for her from the kitchen. When she got out of the room, dinner had been waiting on the dining table. It looked really fancy, as if they were celebrating their anniversary.

“I prepare steak for both of us” Yujin said while arranging the seats. Now Minjoo remembered, that Yujin always cooked steak for every special occassion.

Minjoo took a seat across to Yujin and grabbed the knife and the fork, ready to eat, “shall we eat then?”

Yujin just nodded and grabbed her eating utensil as well.

“Does my arrival surprise you?” Minjoo said before savouring a mouthful of tender meat.

“Of course! We just texted each other yesterday night and you didn’t say anything. Moreover, your trip doesn’t usually take over in late September, isn’t it supposed to be last month?”

“I know, right? We could have celebrated your birthday together if they hadn’t messed with the schedule” it only brought annoyance for Minjoo to hark back at the memory.

Yujin just gave a reassuring smile, a way to tell her that ‘it’s okay’ wordlessly. Now Minjoo realized it, she really smiled a lot. Not that she’s complaining, but... she liked it honestly.

They had interfaces throughout their dinner, it’s vary in topics, not between a creator and a dreamer, there’s no ‘above’ and ‘below’ between them, this room was filled with two people who yearned to meet each other for so long.

 

-

 

That day, Minjoo has a nice morning. Azzo comes to Minjoo’s home. They talk about many things and Minjoo feels like she knows Azzo a little better, except for the fact that the sun hasn’t risen yet....

It starts with a bunch of bells ringing inside the house, indicating there’s a guess. Eunbi is the first one to wake up. Without opening the door, she can see the person who’s standing outside the door through a device. If Eunbi has to explain it, it’s like a robber who rings the bell asking for permission to come in.

Knowing it’s supposedly to be impossible, she asks her purpose of coming over first, “Hmm, good morning, is there something I can help?”

“Good morning, I’m looking for a girl named Kim Minjoo. She said that she would explain about the head line” the girl whom Eunbi still doesn’t know of says as she pointing at her own head.

“Minjoo? Let me ask her first. Please wait a moment” Eunbi politely says and excuse herself to go up toward Minjoo’s room, the person who sets the meeting but ends up sleeping.

She knocks on Minjoo’s door, not long after, she is greeted by the sleepy Minjoo. “You know, there’s a dog-masked person waiting for you outside”

“Huh? But it’s like 1 AM in the mor....ning...”

So here they are, in Minjoo’s room. The fact that Minjoo invites another person to the house is pretty delightful for Eunbi, so the girl let her away this time. If only Eunbi knows that Minjoo says it’s ‘her’ house before....

Minjoo is more surprised by the fact that Eunbi doesn’t think weirdly of the hero because of her mask.

It hasn’t been around 5 hours since they bid their goodbye. “I don’t expect you to come this early....” Minjoo really has nothing to say.

“Sorry” it’s just a word, but Azzo says it whole-heartedly, she’s seriously thinking that she has ruined someone’s morning.

“No no no, it’s okay. I’m just... speechless”

Azzo is roaming around the room, like she hasn’t seen anything like them. Widescreen television, touchscreen computer, or automatic air conditioner. Everything seems to be very modern for Azzo, while Minjoo doesn’t mind that.

In that house, Minjoo’s room is most likely to be the most modern, even the living room doesn’t look like it.

After collecting things that are needed to simplify her explanation, Minjoo sits on the couch along with Azzo.

“This is newspaper” Minjoo opens the newspaper wide, showing all the pages. With her finger points at a section, “if you see here, this is written by a journalist, so this is my job, to write something like this”

Azzo nods in understanding.

“Next, we have magazine. If newspapers provide information about current issues in our country or maybe in the world, magazines present specific contents and usually it’s not as formal as the newspaper”

It can be seen that Azzo takes an interest in the the magazine as she reads the article out loud, “Genshin Collision has released a new region, one of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers ‘Dottore’ is about to make his first appearance in the game”

The picture of the person mentioned is included, Azzo stares at the photo for quite some time. “The mask and the outfit he’s wearing look very cool....”

Minjoo can definitely tells the difference, she admits that the design is crazily amazing, but she can’t say that to Azzo, can she?

“If you help me with my job, I can give you those new outfits” if there were no mask attached, Minjoo would see Azzo’s shining eyes looking at her.

“What can I do?” the hero says enthusiastically, but it doesn’t take long until she realizes something, “-but I still have to go ‘there’ every night”

There’s no need for Minjoo to think about it so hard as she has already understood. Azzo still has to fight the bad guys at night.

“Why does it have to be in that building?” Minjoo uses this chance to know something she hasn’t known. Of course, she’s not trying to be a prying person. If Azzo won’t tell her, then she doesn’t need the answer, but in fact, Azzo has no problem. She seems to believe in Minjoo deeply.

“I’m a part of guardians of the galaxy” which Minjoo only replies with a nod. Well, what should Minjoo do with that information?

“I come here with my own intention. In my world, the ‘gate to everywhere’ opens just for 5 minutes every night. If they are teleported to this world, then their location will always be in that building” Azzo explains something very fantastical. Now, Minjoo knows that Azzo is not from here. That explains a lot why the hero doesn’t understand the things Minjoo says to her.

It turns out that Azzo hasn’t finished, “There aren’t lots of people trying to go to another world, but the ones to do so usually want to change something, that’s why I have to prevent that”

“I see, so it’s okay as long as our job doesn’t take your time at night, right?” Minjoo doesn’t pry any further. She tries not to be very surprised either. After receiving confirmations from Azzo, Minjoo starts to explain her plan.

“What do you think of people knowing your existence? Do you have any resistance?” Minjoo starts with the easiest question, at least for her. Minjoo doesn’t even know why she decide to end her questions with ryhme. Don’t judge her.

“Hmm, to be honest it’s not that I mind, but they don’t need to know. If they end up finding out, then it’s okay”

Minjoo feels a sense of relief, that way she doesn’t have to compel the latter to do things she doesn’t want. However, isn’t Azzo just the humblest person in the world? She fights againts bad people without any rewards. That’s make Minjoo curious about how the hero is able to survive until now.

“Do you have a place to live?” Minjoo will obviously offer a place if Azzo says no, but she actually has it. She lives with friends named Candy and Michelle. Minjoo thought they were foreigners at first, but Azzo says for it’s for safety purpose, so no one would look for them.

The hero also tells Minjoo that her friends teach her how to ride hoverboard, play Fauna Crossing together, and really care about her a lot.

“I don’t wear my mask around them” this has gone too far. She manages to make Minjoo jealous by that statement. Minjoo is really curious now.

Azzo’s tall figure, how she uses her choice of words, and her cheerful personality simply reminds Minjoo of someone else.

“Aw, I’m jealous. When I get to see your face?” Minjoo pouts, Azzo just laughs hearing it.

“Well, someday?”

 

-

 

“How long will you stay this time?” Yujin came back with a glass of grape juice. After washing the dish, she sat back to the same place as before.

“2 weeks” Minjoo received the juice and took a sip.

“Wow, that’s longer than before. Is it because... this is your last?” Yujin asked, but her tone somehow sounded weird, as if she had already known the answer, just waiting for the confirmation.

Minjoo was about to say something when Yujin added something, “It doesn’t matter, does it? Eventually, we will have to live our own life. We can still communicate through our smartphones. Besides, technology will keep improving, who knows, maybe you can teleport next time”

Right, people said that they live in a borderless world, but... to call Yujin from Central didn’t mean she’s there. Minjoo didn’t feel very contented at the idea. It’s not enough.

Should she move here? Pretending to not understand everything when she is able to. Give up on everything she has in Central including her dream to be one of the best creator? Is that even realistic? What an egoist, hoping for something good without having to sacrifice anything in return.

A soft on her head interrupts her thought. “Let’s stop thinking about it, shall we? Let’s walk up to the rooftop and watch the stars instead, like we always do. I’m sorry for bringing that topic. It’s as sensitive as what happened in 2021” Yujin tried to end it with a joke. Luckily, it made Minjoo smiled.

They still had time to be together for now. Minjoo didn’t have- No, didn’t want to worry about what to come next and just wanted to enjoy the moment.


 

The way to the rooftop was much safer now. Yujin put a lot of efforts by building a staircase from the attic. Before, they had to climb the ladder, it’s more convenient this way Minjoo guessed.

She even decorated the attic, because it’s where Minjoo supposed to sleep when she stayed. However, they didn’t put the attic as their main focus as they kept walking toward the rooftop. Yujin grasped Minjoo’s hand tight and lead her.

The moment Yujin opened the door, the night breeze blowed mildly, giving both Yujin and Minjoo the chill even though they had worn the sweater and padding jacket. It’s nice, the air was definitely better than in Central. From there, Minjoo could feel the serenity of the place.

At the day, there were lots of cars, people doing their own activities, but now none of them could be found. As if they followed the sky to rest. Really different from Central, a place with no calmness at all. Even in the midnight, Minjoo could hear her neighbors did some experiments in their garage or blasting loud musics while trying to create a new concept.

That’s how a Creator lives.

Oddly enough, Minjoo was not jealous of a Dreamer’s life. They live the ‘easier’ life? But they had nothing to offer as they had nothing to be proud of.

Whoops, that’s too harsh. Not all of Dreamers are bad. To make it easier to explain, imagine a group of people doing their assignment. The person who does nothing is the worthless and useless Dreamer, the person who doesn’t understand but at least trying to help is the good Dreamer. While the creator, well.... It will be the person who proposes the idea, does the paperwork, and talks the most in presentation. That’s how Minjoo pictured those kind of types.

In Yujin’s case, she’s like a genius in hiding. In that group, she might be the one who proposes a great idea and how to carry it out in detail, but people will ignore it because they think it’s not possible. If they try harder, every thing she says will sound possible –somehow.

“Minjoo, why are you spacing out?” Yujin giggled as she couldn’t contain her laugh. “Are you feeling cold?” she added, quickly gave Minjoo a hug even though the girl hadn’t given her answer yet. Embracing Minjoo in her arms tightly and pulls her leisurely to their usual spot.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” now they’re sitting, but not letting go of each others. Yujin’s resting her head on top of Minjoo’s.

It’s been a long time since the last time Minjoo saw this view. She still can’t count for the stars, but who cares about it right now? She wouldn’t die because of her lack of knowledge. She just wanted to enjoy this moment. She’s at the right time, at the right place, with the right person.

 

-

 

“Remember our plan? Don’t forget to bring the people out through the front doors. Be careful of the reporters and polices. We might be.... wild sometimes” Minjoo communicates with Azzo through the phone she gets for the hero.

“Got it” the response sounds like the person is at ease, completely understand the instructions.

It’s not that Minjoo and Azzo plan all of the violations. The robbery is not their plan, at all. They’re just watching the television when there’s a live broadcast at the scene of the crime. The robbers take some people as hostages inside the building as they have already known that they’re surrounded.

Using this chance to be the Azzo’s first appearance, they go faster to the scene by cars.... because Minjoo can’t take the risk of the hero stealing the spotlight before its time.

Camera? High quality.

News story idea? Already written.

Minjoo? Ready.

Azzo? A blessing.

“It seems like they are detained in the lobby, you can break through the upper floor and go down stealthily-“

Minjoo doesn’t get to finish her sentence as a glass breaking sound has made its entrance to everyone’s ears around the building. Of course, it catches lots of attentions.

Minjoo facepalms, ‘it’s okay, you are still a blessing’ she thought endlessly, but still holding onto her communication device with Azzo, who closes it afterward. ‘You’re definetely a blessing’

Azzo just makes her way inside through the first floor, ignoring Minjoo’s advice.

The moment Azzo makes a landing, she has already knocked down one of the abductors. “Can you tell me where the toilet is?”

The rest of the abductors aim their weapon to Azzo’s direction in surprise, while the hostages can be seen bowing down. Now all of their attentions are set to Azzo, they have no intention to make a deal as well, so she has to prevent them to hurt the others.

‘Focus! Rely to your instinct and avoid those bullets. Don’t forget to protect these people’ Azzo says to herself before jump high above to the ceilings.

On the other hand, the situation outside is filled by incoherent crowd. Not only the polices, reporters, but pedestrians also stop by to see the incident. A never-ending gunfire sound keep reverberating from the inside of the building.

Back to Azzo, the abductors keep shooting at her while she amazes the people inside with her webs, hanging at the ceiling, doesn’t stop moving. When it’s time for one of the shooter to reload his gun, Azzo takes the chance to confiscate his weapon by pulling herself closer to him.

Not wasting any time, she attachs her webs to his face and throws him to his friend, knocking both of them. Now, to make use of the pillar, she is swinging around the pillar, thinks herself as the disc in discus throw, Azzo releases the web attached to the pillar and s forward to another shooter.

Just like that, 4 of the abductors go down. People inside the building are cheering for the hero. Of course, to make sure they are already saved, she asks one of the staff if there are 4 people only, which the latter convince her.

“Now, what should I do?” Azzo says, looking at the knocked down people. Firstly, she takes all the weapons, just in case if they get their consciousness. Secondly, she follows the people to go outside, bringing the four as well. Gather them in a bag made of spider webs to ease her burden.

Azzo expects Minjoo to be the first one to greet her, but the scene in front of her makes her like a celebrity who has finished her work. The polices approaches her first to deal with the unconscious abductors. Have no reason to bring the hero, after securing the place, they just go.

However, the reporters seem to be eager for information. Azzo feels relieved that the sun is still there, if not her eyes would hurt a lot seeing the camera flashes.

For the world, she’s thought to be a fantasy, something not real. However, looking at the condition right now, it’s like MCU has become real. People are curious about the hero. The news is broadcasted all around South Korea.

It’s to be expected, especially by Minjoo, except for the fact that she doesn’t manage to stand exactly in front of the hero. People are pushing each other, causing Minjoo to be blocked by the others.

Fortunately, Azzo manages to get the glimpse of Minjoo’s position, so she doesn’t hesitate to walk closer.

“If you have the power to stop the crimes, why do you hide yourself all this time?”

“Is there anyone else with superpower aside from you?”

“Are you Spider-Man’s child?”

“You just prove that MCU is real, is Loonaverse real as well?”

Azzo hates the camera flashes. She wants to get out of there. Ignoring all those questions, she keep walking until she can grab Minjoo’s arm. “I’m sorry, but I will only answer her questions”

Minjoo looks surprised by the statement. She can feel Azzo’s arm around her waist, “Now, excuse us....” and Minjoo is already in the sky. The people on the ground can only catch Azzo and Minjoo’s pictures swinging around the building, slowly disappearing from their view because of their inability to cath up.

 

-

 

“So, what’s been bothering you this time?” Yujin offered a cup of hot coffee which Minjoo gladly accepted.

“I just receive a message from my teacher. She gives us a sudden task, it’s not due today, but...” a sigh came out naturally. What’s wrong with those people changing things casually. They said that it’s up to her about her own activities.

“Is there anything I can help?” Yujin sat beside me, trying to tell me that she’s not going to reject my ‘rejection’ easily.

“Actually, yes. We need another concept, anything, it doesn’t have to be related to this sector. Anything impossible will be fine either. Can you give me an idea?”

Minjoo could tell Yujin’s expression right now. ‘Why didn’t you tell me sooner. That’s our thing’

Yep, it’s definitely what Minjoo thought it is. “It’s our specialty to make complicated things sound more impossible. You ask the right person” was it just Minjoo or Yujin’s smug face appeared just now?

“Anyway, has it ever occured to you? When you’re listening to a specific genre of musics, it might trigger the same genre of your memories. For example, if it’s a sad song you’re listening to, a sorrowful, regretful, or bittersweet memory might pass by in your mind though you don’t even think about it before. Next, do you have a memory you cherish?” Yujin stopped to give Minjoo a question. What is this.... A sudden interview? Nevertheless, Minjoo proceeded to grab a pen, about to write what Yujin had said and what she’s about to say.

“Lots”

“Good. Do you want to replay those memories back?” Minjoo was taken aback by her question, more like it’s confusing to be exact. What’s with Yujin suddenly became an MC? “I have those inside my mind. It’s easy to visualize it even without the help of any songs. What does ‘replay’ in your statement mean to begin with?”

“Well...” Yujin her bangs backward, exposing her forehead as she’s looking at the ceiling now. Probably trying to search for the right words because she realizes that she had been confusing Minjoo. On the other hand, Minjoo might sound like a person who hated hearing things that she ended up oppose anything Yujin had said, but in reality, her creator mind was so curious that she was waiting for details.

“Have you ever wondered, when someone is unconscious, for a long time, will they have a long dream as well? That’s the concept I’m talking about! Let the memories become their dream instead. Using music as the trigger, that person will have a vivid evocation. It’s not like a common dream where you see yourself in a movie, but you’re seeing the world in the first point of view, like how you see me with your eyes right now” Yujin put her hands on Minjoo’s cheeks, her eyes look straight to Minjoo’s as well.

She had no time to be charmed right now, though it’s hard to resist.

That’s how it is.

Not only imagine the impression, but you get to revive the emotion you’re actually feeling during that moment took place. It wouldn’t be like how Minjoo saw herself and Yujin looking at each other, but it’s how Minjoo felt a strange feeling when Yujin looked straight to her. The fondness Minjoo felt was the point Yujin was trying to say.

To give the opportunities for people to ‘replay’ their memories. That’s nice.

“But... I don’t know how to make them unconscious? Should we wait for them to fall asleep and it will be less efficient or inject something and it won’t be good for a consistent usage?

“Wh- wait wait. You sound like a weirdo just now, so don’t think excessively”

Now they’re laughing at each other. Then Yujin’s waiting for Minjoo to finish writing her idea. She keep glancing the busy girl.

“How does my idea sound? Isn’t it pretty possible?” Yujin asked, she said that it’s her specialty to make up impossible things and now here she was waiting for Minjoo’s confirmation to tell her that it’s pretty possible.

“Firstly, your idea sounds great and new. Secondly, no? We still can’t figure out how human’s brain works. It might be true that music can help you triggering past memories when you don’t even think about it, but how can we specifically direct them to reach that certain memory they want to replay? However, you did pretty well explaining the outline of your idea” Minjoo gave Yujin a pat on the head, because she liked it. That’s how they complimented each other.

Yujin grinned so wide that Minjoo couldn’t help grinning as well, “That’s why I’m called a dreamer. My brain only knows how to fantasize. Please bear with me, yeah?”

-but, didn’t it sound sad? Wanted to replay the memories, as if their situation right there was not very great that they chose to go back to the past.

It made Minjoo wondered why Yujin thought about this. She didn’t want to assume things, so she asked Yujin directly, hoping it’s different from the answer she expected.

“Yudingz?”

She tilted her head, not because of the weird nickname, Minjoo could guarantee it.

“Do you have a spesific reason why you have this idea? I-I mean where did you get this idea from? Y-yeah that” omg... so obvious.

She opened saying ‘ah’. Then she proceeded to protrude both of her lips forward, in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter