40 Sunkissed

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S3: Panorama of Pearls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort

Summary:

Sunkissed

1: having plenty of bright sunlight

2: making you feel warm

In which Ahn Yujin, a girl who wanted to have a happy life. Unlike other people, her life is like a rollercoaster, she's been experiencing hard time in her life not until Kim Minju came, her sunkissed in her life.

Word Count: 12,063

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS3_Sunkissed

 

Sunkissed

 

Darkness.


 

Her room was covered with a dark and cold atmosphere. The cans of soju and beer were scattered while her things messed up. It was soon to eve, yet she's not eating anything except for the alcohol she's been drinking since morning. For a 25-year-old Ahn Yujin, everything was still fresh in her mind like it happened yesterday. She's still jugging the last can of beer when she heard soft knocks on the door. She doesn't care who's been knocking on her door and continues to drink her beer.


 

"Yujinnie, I've prepared your favorite tteokbokki. Please come out, eat some.'' She heard a sweet voice coming behind the door.


 

"Nah, leave me alone, Eunbi unnie. I'm fine." She said while staring blankly at her galaxy ceiling.


 

She heard a loud sigh from outside, a sign that Eunbi- somewhat understood why Yujin was acting like that.


 

"Yujin, it's been three years already. You know she will be mad if you continue being like that-"


 

Before she finished her words, Yujin cut her with a shaky tone, "Eunbi unnie..."


 

"Fine, but if you feel hungry, call me. I'm in the backyard with our friends. They want to see you, but I know they will understand." Eunbi said sincerely.


 

Yujin didn't feel to respond- that's why she keeps shut.


 

"We're here for you, Yujin. Please, stay strong-You know that you are the strongest person we have ever met. We love you Pup- we do, really" Eunbi spoke and went down to the stairs.


 

She's still staring at the ceiling while her mind is floating and flooded by tons of emotions. She feels something wet in her cheeks- she didn't notice that she was crying already. The liquids in her eyes were like waterfalls that don't stop from falling.


 

It's been three years, but she can't move-on like that. She can't move-on that easily.


 

"I miss you, Minmin. I miss you. I ing miss you." She did another breakdown for the nth time today.


 

Pain and sorrows.


 

That's what she was feeling right now. She wants to shout her feelings with all her heart. She undergoes these kinds of emotions every year. It was hard for her to act that she was okay- well, she can hide it, but if this day came, she can't wear masks to hide her real feelings.


 

She's been living in the dark hole for three years already- nothing has inspired her. She's been like a robot- waking up in the morning to do work, passing her reports, then after, going home. It had been her routine every day. She missed her girl- she missed how they are going out for some date, how they are bickering with each other because of Minju's bad photography, how the both of them are waiting for the sun to set, cuddled every night, and especially- how they are exchanging their I love you's.


 

"I love you, Minju, please come back... Please." She punched the wood cabinet to release her emotions more.


 

"I don't know how to live normally anymore. You're my world- you make my world the most beautiful. You're my comfort."


 

She cried it all as the coldness in her room embraced her. It's like there was someone comforting her.


 

After an hour, she decided to go under her bed- reaching something. When Yujin touched it, she pulled it immediately and dusted it off.


 

It was Minju's white treasure box. Yujin gifted it to her when she's celebrating her 24th birthday, together with their friends in the countryside. She was still nervous when she did it because there was a promise ring inside. She proposed to Minju that time after receiving an award as the best writer of the year in their company, even though she's still a rookie. She can't provide an engagement ring at that time, so she thinks that a promise ring will do.


 

When she opened it, she saw the letters and polaroids are placed nicely- still untouched and perfectly arranged according to its group. A small smile is slowly seen on her lips as she looks into it one by one. There was a letter that Yujin gave during the school festival when she had this feeling for Minju. There was a polaroid too when Minju graduated from their university. In that photo, the older girl flashed her biggest smile that made Yujin's heart fluttered.


 

As Yujin explored Minju's things, there's one item that caught her eyes. She picked it up and opened it- that was Minju's old camera. She heard a little sound that indicates its aged structures. When it's fully worked, Yujin's heart starts to crash again like it's crumpled multiple times as she saw the contents in Minju's cam.


 

It was them- their photos. The photos show their happiness, sadness, pains, and love in life. She's scrolling in it nonstop and absorbed every picture of them as the rain started to pour hardly.


 

For Minju, her camera was the photo book of her life. She always brings her camera everywhere-even if it's at school, at her work, or Yujin's house. And for Yujin to see this again, her memories with Minju invading her mind, soul, and heart.


 

The rain started to pour more as her tears did. Yujin started to shout, "If there is an existing God, whoever you are, please... Please, I'm begging you. I'm begging you. I want to be with Minju again, please. Even if it will cost my life just to be with her- I will go for it. God, hear my prayers. Hear me. I'm begging you..."


 

With the heavy rain outside, loud thunder occurs suddenly making the sky turn bright white and Yujin's vision suddenly gone blurry. All she can see is black and white lights repeatedly, she can hear murmurs around her surroundings, she can't understand a thing and so she holds onto her ears, closed her eyes, and sat on her knees, crying.


 

"Please, make it stop.. Please I'm begging you..." She whispers. Suddenly, everything stopped. It's like she told the universe to stop the time. She opened her eyes slowly, her vision is still blurry yet she noticed something different-


 

She's not in the house anymore.


 

She takes a look in front of her, there is a familiar building in front of her that is painted brown and white, it looks so old yet fresh. There was also an old woman in front of her yet her back was facing her.


 

"Hello? W-Who are you?" Yujin asks with her trembling voice. The woman in front of her turned around and smiled.


 

"Yujin-ah." She said, Yujin looks so shocked, she knows that woman. She has spent time with her before.



 

"Mo-"


 

"MOTHER!" She didn't finish her word when a girl passed by her, running towards the woman in front of her and hugging her tightly. She was a cute girl, wearing a pink dress with her hair braided.


 

"Mother! They're bullying me." She said while crying and holding tightly in the woman's dress. "Hmm? Your classmates again?" The woman asks, leaning to the young girl and hugs her. The girl didn't look at her but nodded. The woman pats her head as she lifts the girl up into her shoulder.


 

"Baby, you shouldn't mind what they're telling you, hmm? You see, you're a strong tough girl in my eyes so you should be strong like Wonder Woman!" The woman said with all her might as she pokes the little girl's nose, making her giggle.


 

"Even... Even if I'm not your real daughter? And... And you're n-not my mom?" She asks in her lowest tone, the woman nodded. "Yeah, you're still under my guidance and protection Yujin-ah. I'll take care of you until you grow up and you can live by yourself. I love you." The woman said, pecking a kiss in her temple as both of them walked towards their home.


 

The orphanage.


 

All of those scenes were watched by Yujin herself, she saw her old home, her non-biological mother, and her little self. She blinks several times before following them since her eyes are teary. She holds at the doorknob of the orphanage she lived in, when she opened it she was surprised that she was inside the school's cafeteria. It seems like it was in her high school days and so she looked around, full of confusion and broken heart that she'd been dealing with until her eyes landed on the specific table. There, she saw Eunbi looking at her. Even though confusion flooded her mind, the scene in front of her seems like she's familiar.


 

Like a dejavu, she forgot all the things that happened before.


 

"Yujin-ah! Come sit here with us, you look like a lonely dwarf!" Eunbi said, trying to tease the girl. "I ain't lonely and stop raising voice at me like you're my mom!" Yujin pouted, bringing her food at Eunbi's table, and sat down beside her.


 

"What if I'm your mom?" Eunbi asks.


 

"Then I'll be a rebel." Yujin laughs at her words but she receives a hard slap on her shoulder. "I hate you." Eunbi whispers, then pouts but Yujin answers with "You always do."


 

"By the way, I have a new friend. She's in my class though." Eunbi changed the topic then took a bite in her sandwich. "Who?" Yujin asked in curiosity. Well, it was a weird thing that Kwon Eunbi made a new friend quickly beside her.


 

"Hello, Eunbi unnie?" Yujin looks up to see who's cute voice is. She saw a woman showing her smile, wearing their school uniform, her bowtie neatly wrapped around her collar with her long black hair, pretty long hair.


 

"She's the girl." Eunbi giggles as she waves her hand in front of the familiar girl.


 

"Minju-ah! Come sit here with us." She said, but Yujin's head suddenly aches in pain, holding her head tightly. Minju leans in front of her, holding her hand in her head. "Hey, are you alright?" She asks with her sweet yet calm voice. Yujin looks at her, into her eyes. For the first time in three years, she felt sparks.


 

"I miss you, Yujinnie." Minju whispered, making Yujin's eyebrows meet in confusion.


 

"What?"


 

"It's been a long time." The latter smiled as she still held the younger's hand. Meanwhile, Yujin's mind is still flying. She doesn't know what to believe because of the memories flooding her right now.


 

"Stop now, stop." She bends as the pain she's feeling in her head keeps stronger and stronger.


 

When the pain stops, she stands up slowly and looks at her surroundings. She was in a park that was near their dorm. It was a cold evening- the stars shine, and the wind keeps blowing as the crickets make their sound.


 

But then, she sees that there was a hand holding hers. She feels the softness yet the coldness in its hand- it was Minju. She notices that the latter was crying too while looking at her, making her be confused again.


 

"Yujin, I want to talk with you even though we're not still okay." The older girl said in between her sobs. Yujin keeps shut as she doesn't remember any scenes like this.


 

"I'm sorry if I lied. I'm sorry if I keep something from you again because I don't want you to be involved here. I'm so scared that they will do something worse to you. You know their capabilities, I tried to stop them, but it's out of control already." Minju squealed the younger's hand.


 

"I know it will be hard for the both of us, but it is the best for us. I need to do their commands. I need to go somewhere now- far from you. I-... I need to break-up with you, Yujin" She spokes as her voice keeps cracking due to dry throat.


 

"But, we can fight for it, right?" It was Yujin's turn to speak. She can't shut right now as she witnessed her lover's breakdown. Even though she's not sure about everything, she can't help it. She can't see her lover be like this because of certain things happening in their lives.


 

"Yujin... Not all the battles we have to fight in life. Sometimes, we need to accept defeat to save someone. That's what I'm doing right now." Minju stared at Yujin's eyes.


 

Yujin saw how Minju's eyes were full of loneliness and pain. She wants to wash it away by pulling her into hugs, but the older one has released her hand already.


 

"I love you, Yujin. Please, take care of yourself. I will miss you. Maybe in another, we will be together again- no more dramas, no more problems. In that other life, you will be my girl. Until we meet again, baby. Goodbye..." Minju runs in the valley of darkness.


 

"NOOOOOOOO!"


 

She suddenly woke up from the bed sitting against the headboard. She breaths heavily as she holds into her head, tears formed and she felt it in her cheeks. She was breathing in an unstable manner, shaking. Everything feels so real- the touch feels so real. She looks up as she realizes that she's back into her old dorm, nothing changed, but the room is very light, maybe because it's morning and her windows are opened widely. She felt some movement behind her as she looked at her left side.


 

"Baby, are you alright?" It was Minju, sitting beside her as she took Yujin's hand and planted a kiss in it. "Deep breaths for me, come on. Don't cry." Minju held Yujin close to her, wiping her tears in her face while helping Yujin to breathe properly.


 

"Nightmares?" Minju asks in her morning rough voice. Yujin nodded as she leaned on Minju's shoulder, hiding her face in the crook of her neck. "E-Everything feels so real... All pain- And darkness- I-I'm scared Minguri." Yujin sniffs, holding tightly into her lover's shirt as Minju rubs her back and patting her head.


 

After a few minutes, Yujin calmed down already. She can't understand why she dreamed of it again. It was like a tape recorder that keeps repeating into her dreams though it happens monthly before, but now, it happens almost every day. Minju offers her water to drink and some medicine for her headache. The latter sits beside Yujin and stares at her.


 

"Why? Am I pretty that much, Minmin? It's almost your job every day- staring at me for so long in the morning.” Yujin chuckles as she places down the glass of water and places it on their desk table beside her.


 

"If that's my job, then I will gladly accept it even without paying my salary, baby. Oh no, there will be a salary- you'll be mine forever." Minju rebates and smiles at the younger one.


 

"Yaaa Kim Minju, why are you so smooth early in this morning? Did you eat your chocolates again?" Yujin utters with her teasing smile.


 

"What? No. I only eat my jellies-"


 

"Bingo. Your jellies make you say that kind of words" Yujin is about to run because she knows that Minju will hit for sure, but the latter pulls her closer and locks her into the older's warm hug.


 

"Minmin-"


 

"Let me cuddle with you, Yujinnie. I know your nightmares are coming to you almost every night, but don't ever listen to them. I'm always here for you, baby. You're the best thing that happens to me. I will not leave you. If that happens, then I'm the biggest idiot in this world. So, cheer up, Pup, okay?" Minju continues to hug the younger and kiss her cheeks for assurance.


 

"Promise?"



 

"Promise."


 

That day, Yujin believes and holds onto Minju's promises.


 

---


 

"YUJIN! BROOOO!" Yujin startles as she picks up her and Minju's lunch when there's a person who shouts her name in the sea of crowded people.


 

"Yena unnie, learn not to shout my name that loud. There's a lot of people here. You're embarrassing me." Yujin glares at Yena- who is picking up her lunch too.


 

They are currently at the school's cafeteria. It was already afternoon as most of the students here are already eating, talking with their friends, or doing their unfinished assignments. Yujin was the last one who went out in their classroom because she finished the tasks that her professor gave to her since she was the president. As for Minju, she was busy with her council duties, that's why they decided to eat lunch this late.


 

"As if you're not that popular, Ms. Ahn. You're an athlete, a band member, and a top multimedia arts student. What else can't you do?"


 

"Call you in your name only without an honorific." Yujin walks towards the exit of the cafeteria, and Yena chases her.


 

"Why are you so mean, Yujinnie? Anyways, where are you going? Can I tag along? And our friends too? They are asking for some decent place because the cafeteria was too crowded." The duck girl asks when she reaches the same pace as Yujin.


 

"At the garden, unnie. Sure, no problem. Just chat with them that we're going there.” Yujin said.

 

In that cue, Yena texts their friends to inform them that they will go to the garden. When both of them reach their destination, they can see clearly that their friends are already there. There's a lot of picnic blankets and different kinds of foods lying down on the grasses. Minju is smiling while looking at Yujin- who is approaching her. She gladly accepts her lunch, and Yujin sits beside her.


 

"Y'all so fast, huh? What's with you all?" Yena asks as she gives food and drink to Yuri.


 

"You're too slow, Yena unnie. We are so hungry, you know. That's why when you texted the location, we ran immediately." Chaeyeon mumbles and continues to eat her dumplings.


 

"Yaaa! Just be thankful that I saw Yujin and asked her if we can tag along because I know that every afternoon is their lunch date!" The duck states bluntly and proceeds to get some food on others.


 

Minju and Yujin blush hard at Yena's blunt statement because even though they are officially a couple for almost four years, they are still shy when people are cheering for us and rooting with their relationship for the best. They want to keep their relationship in lowkey mode, although everyone in their university knows it. Students considered them as one of the powerful couples aside from Yuri and Yena.


 

"Did we disturb you both?" Hyewon asks.


 

"No, not really, unnie. It's been a long time since we gathered like this, so no worries." Minju replies while resting her head on Yujin's shoulder.


 

"By the way, where's Eunbi unnie and Sakura unnie? I haven't seen them since this morning. Are they that busy with council duties? And why are you here, Minju? If the council is that busy?" Yuri asks nonstop.


 

Minju rolled her eyes before she answered, "I already finished my tasks, Joyul. They will be here any moment right now- they are just doing the final checking for tomorrow's school festival."


 

When they finished eating their food, they rested for a bit and continued their talks. Yujin looked around and saw Eunbi and Sakura running from the school's wide grass field and shouting their names.


 

"Hey, guys! What's up?" Eunbi was the first one who reached them.


 

"Unnie! Did you eat already? You too, Kkura unnie?" Yujin asks while fixing her uniform for her next class.


 

"Yes! We ate with other officers. You guys ready for tomorrow?" Sakura looks at them while smiling.



 

"We are beyond ready, Sakura unnie." Yena made some hand movements like she's performing on the big stage.


 

"We will rock the night, unnies!" Yuri made a rock sign in her hands.


 

The sun starts to shine more as they continue to talk about the school festival. The wind that comes from the grass field keeps bringing the smell of fresh grasses on them. They are planning to try all the stalls they will see tomorrow-just enjoying the whole day since they are graduating students.


 

"You will watch us, right, Mingming?" Yujin whispers at Minju. She notices that the older girl is quiet for the whole time, and she's smiling while looking with their friends.


 

Minju faces her and shows her Indian dimple, "Of course, that's the only event I'm excited about, Yujinnie."


 

"I'll do my best!" Yujin's aura started to form into a determined spirit.


 

Minju pats her head, "I know, you always do it. You can do it!"


 

"Hep! Lovebirds, our lunchtime is over. Let's go back to our respective duties. See you all later after class" Eunbi announces while helping others fixing the things they have used.


 

"O Sole Mio band, attendance check! I'll go first! Your resident drummer, Choi Yena, at your service!" Yena throws her drumsticks in the air and catches them.


 

"Your resident vocalist, Jo Yuri, will make you fall in love and cry after," Yuri says while making the bottle of soda as her mic.


 

"Your resident pianist, Lee Chaeyeon, at the same time, the dancing machine of the band." Chaeyeon dances and creates waves with the sound of a piano that comes from Sakura's ringtone.


 

"Your resident guitarist no. 1, Kang Hyewon, who can serenade you anytime." Hyewon comes on Eunbi and acts like she's serenading the latter. She received a soft slap from the captain bunny.


 

"Your resident guitarist no. 2, Ahn Yujin, the maknae who is for Minju unnie only." Yujin hugs Minju from the back while saying it.


 

"WHIPPED!" Her unnies said as they laughed because of her silliness.


 

---


 

Their afternoon classes went smoothly like ordinary days. Nothing's important. Professors are teaching, students are busy doing their left activities because of tomorrow's event, and officers are completing the last thing they need to do.


 

Yujin is fixing her things right now because her last class is about to end. She's thinking now what she will do tomorrow before their band performs- she wants to give something to Minju and spends the whole day with the older. She's staring blankly at the board while thinking, tapping her desk, and scratching her head. An idea pops out of her mind, and she smiles by just thinking about it. She startles when her professor suddenly speaks.


 

"Okay, multimedia arts students. I want to congratulate you all for surviving in this course for the whole four years. The struggles and hardships that you all experience paid off. So, for the last project, I want you all to make a music video. It will be an easy task because I will open collaboration with other departments. The deadline will be in the last week of this month, so I'm anticipating the beautiful videos created by you all. Any kinds of music videos will do except in too much disturbance. You can go now. Take care on your way home."


 

After her professor dismisses them, she goes into their practice room located at the back of her department building. As she reaches the room, her bandmates greet her.


 

"Wazzup Pups! You're in time-whoah! Congrats, you break your record for being the longest days of having late." Chaeyeon says while wiping her piano that is full of dust.


 

"But when it comes to Minju, she can be as early as 4AM." Hyewon chuckles and gets her guitar to tune-in.


 

"Of course, it's Minju though." Yuri states.


 

"Yaaa! Stop teasing me unnies!" Yujin replies while putting her bag in the corner and gets her guitar. They laugh at the younger's whine. The band knows that Yujin hates it when she's in the hot seat and teased by her unnies.


 

They start to rehearse the songs they have chosen to perform at tomorrow's school festival. They choose some funky and fun music since they are the opening in evening's nonstop music.


 

O Sole Mio Band.


 

It formed when they were still in high school. Yujin, by that time, was an accelerated student transferred to their school. Yena was the first one who approached her beside Eunbi then Yuri discovered she was playing guitar. Later, they met the other, created their friendship, and because of their similarities in music, they formed a band. Their band was almost six years this year.


 

By the time Yujin was courting Minju in their first year as college students, she asked some help from her fellow members on the day she wanted to ask Minju to be her girlfriend. That was one of the best moments in her life- and forever engraved in her memories.


 

Right now, she's thinking about asking for help again from them since Minju is so busy with her duties while Yujin with her athlete and band duties.


 

"Uh... Guys?" Yujin puts down her guitar and places it on a sofa.


 

"Yes, Pup?" They respond as they jug their ordered drinks.


 

"Can you all help me in surprising Minju?" She sits in one of the chairs and faces her bandmates.


 

"Yes, of course, we can help you. What kind of help do you want?" Chaeyeon replies to Yujin's question.


 

"I want to surprise Minju. So, I think if we can perform one more song? But I'll be the one who will sing for it since Yena unnie can do beatbox and Yuri unnie can play guitar," Yujin explains her plan.


 

"Sure, what song is that? Let's practice it now. I'm quite excited about it," Hyewon responds as she picks up her guitar and back at their position earlier. Yujin explains her plan again, and all of them agree to take it as a secret first from their student council friends.


 

It's already 6:30 pm when they finished their rehearsal. The surrounding is wrapped in the dark as time goes by. They decided to end the session to rest for tomorrow's event. Yujin is about to close the door of the practice room when she feels someone wraps its arms to her waist. Her lips curved into a smile when she saw who did it.


 

"Miss me, Ms. Kim?" Yujin finally locks the room and smiles at Minju.


 

"Yeah, I miss you. I'm so busy with council duties. I don't have any time to watch your rehearsal earlier." Minju pouts and hugs the younger more.


 

"Did you wait here outside? You should come inside earlier." Yujin picks up their bags and puts them on her shoulder.


 

The older removes her embrace to Yujin and faces the guitarist "Not really, baby. After our duty, I went here immediately because I thought you would leave me."


 

Yujin hums in response and holds her hand, "Silly. I will still fetch you after our rehearsal though. I know you're still at school because of Hyewon unnie and Chaeyeon unnie's antics with their crushes."


 

They are both walking towards the parking lot of their university. It is cold outside which is why Yujin placed her black jacket on Minju's shoulder. Minju utters 'thank you' to Yujin, and the latter smiles at her. When they reach Minju's car, Yujin opens it and says, "Your Highness." Minju laughs and slaps Yujin jokingly. They both enter the car, and Yujin starts the engine.


 

"Where do you want to go, my Princess?" Yujin fixes her seatbelt, same with Minju.


 

"Anywhere. As long as I'm with you, I'm content, my Prince." Minju stares at her lovingly. Yujin, on the other hand, is blushing at what Minju said. But of course, Minju can't see it because of the darkness that surrounds the car.


 

"But I don't want to go anywhere, Kim Minju."


 

"Why?" The older asks confusingly.


 

"Because my place is always on you, on your hugs, and your heart." Yujin pecks on Minju's lips, but the older pulls her closer and initiates the kisses. After seconds, they are catching their breath with happy hearts.


 

"So, what do you want to do? Dinner date outside or in our dorm?" Yujin asks while smiling from ear to ear.


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter