30 Winter Tales

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S3: Panorama of Pearls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Slice of Life

Summary: Seeing that the last stock of her favorite banana milk was already on the hands of another student, Yujin decided to put the world and the clock on pause to steal the milk. However, shockingly, the girl isn't affected by her ability to stop the time.

Word Count: 15293

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS3_WinterTales

 

Winter Tales “What’s the decision you made that you don’t regret at all?”



 

January 15, 2021

 

When mom told me to learn how to give to others, I realized there are only certain situations to do that.

 

A grim expression painted my face as I saw the last piece of my banana milk on the hands of another student. If only I had the power to kill someone with my stares, people would probably start panicking while calling 119.

 

I glanced around the store to make sure no one was looking at me before reaching out for a coin in my coat’s pocket and let out a devious smile. I had no idea I’d be using it on a cold, Friday winter but I guess I have no other choice. I tossed the coin and it stopped midair. If a normal person would have seen it, they’d probably get surprised. Who would even believe that a coin is elevating in the air as if the world was paused?

 

But I wasn’t a normal person, because I made the coin stop.

 

I have the power to stop the time since I was born. Mom told me it came from an old woman she helped on a Sunday night of August when she was pregnant with me, like some deities who dress themselves as beggars or oppressed and reward those who’d genuinely help them. Those scenes you’ll only get to see on movies happened to my mom in real life. Fascinating, isn’t it? Although, I personally think people would consider this as a curse, to me, it’s a blessing. Everything stops whenever I want it to, even the seas and the skies. The world on pause is where I find my peace. I actually prefer to be alone than be surrounded by people.

 

The once rowdy place turned into a drowsy one. Everyone stopped with what they were doing. A student had his mouth wide open as he prepares to take a huge amount of cup ramyeon that seemed frozen in time. I went to where the student who stole my banana milk was and found her crouched on the floor with my banana milk on her right hand.

 

“I believe you have something of mine—” The words I was about to speak got lost when she looked up at me. I jumped out of shock as my eyes expanded that they almost came out of its sockets. I pointed my shaking finger at her and stuttered, “Y–You! H–How can you move?”

 

The girl stood up and stopped as if she’d seen a ghost. A few seconds later, when she caught up, she looked sideways before pointing at herself, “Were you talking to me?”

 

I gained my posture and scanned her whole body. This was the first time I’ve seen other people being able to move even after I stopped the time. Is she someone who has the same ability as me? Or is she…

 

“Are you the ahjumma that my mom encountered 18 years ago?” I asked. Confidence was firm with my voice. I’m not going to show her that I’m scared even if she was that one. She raised her eyebrow and gave me a baffled look.

 

“What are you talking about? I’m only 19 years old. If I really met your mom 18 years ago, I’d be a toddler still unable to speak. How am I an ahjumma?” she argued. Her facial expression looked convincing, but I gave her a skeptical look. She explored the surroundings with her eyes and grimaced.

 

“That jerk’s at it again! This just happens everytime!” she gritted her teeth. I stared at her for a long time until the look I gave her just minutes ago formed in her eyes. Her eyes expanded as wide as the frogs. Her index fingers were raised at me moving up and down, judging me as if I had killed someone.

 

“You can move too!” she gasped in disbelief. She placed the banana milk she was holding to where she took it and cupped my cheeks. I gave her daunting stare, warning her to stop touching me because I do not like to be touched. She moved my face left and right, up and down, she made me turn around and I have no idea why I kept on complying.

 

“Who are you?” she asked. Again, I don’t know why, or how this girl makes me feel something I don’t usually feel, but the questions she just asked told me I had to answer. Or maybe I’m just scared of people.

 

“My name is Ahn Yujin,” I replied, my eyes were fixed on the banana milk beside. She nodded her head as a sign that she got my answer. I wasn’t sure if what I saw was true, but her face kind of seemed disappointed.

 

“So– uh… are you going to take that banana milk or not?” I thoughtfully asked. Her eyes landed to where the banana milk was, and let out a playful laugh. She took the milk and handed it over to me. “You can have it.”

 

My face lit up as I heard her say those words. Maybe she’s not a bad person to be scared at. She just had the stern impression in her that made me intimidated. I’m not gonna lie to myself, people aren’t supposed to hide what they feel to themselves. That would make them a fool.

 

“You look like you’re going to cry if I didn’t give it to you,” she said. I took the milk from her hand and thanked her. She tapped me on my shoulders and smiled, “and besides, it’s nice to know someone out there can also move despite the clock stopping,” she added.

 

She headed straight towards the door but I stood there like I was affected by time, still couldn’t process what she just said. I wanted to ask her a lot of things, but my mouth betrayed me. I turned my back if she was still there to ask her the only important question I had but the sound of the door chime has stopped, and she wasn’t there anymore. I decided to let it pass and stared at the banana milk on my hand and resumed the time. In a blink of an eye, everything started to move. The quiet place suddenly had a clamorous scene. Students filled the store with their noise. I went to the cashier to pay for the milk and stoop out of the suffocating place with regrets.

 

I forgot to ask her name.



 

January 16, 2021

 

When people believed in destiny, I was at the back laughing at the thought of that stupid word.

 

I walked out of the shop with my right hand inside my pocket and my left hand holding a plastic bag as I shiver in coldness. January really is the coldest month of every year. I don’t really like the idea of wandering around the street with negative twelve degrees Celsius of temperature, but mom will kick me out of the house if I did not obey what she asked me to do.

 

My parents own a chicken shop that’s really well-known in our area. They let me work there every weekend so I could earn extra money. Dad once told me I should work hard at an early age and save money so I could use it on emergencies and needs, because with the way I perform academically at school, he said the shop was my only hope.

 

I wasn’t insulted, because it was true.

 

I hopped on the scooter that my parents gifted me on my 18th birthday and placed the plastic on the saddle bag at the back of my scooter. They said they gave me the scooter so I could deliver chickens more convenient and faster than walking. I got my driver’s license when I was sixteen, but I guess it’s not really needed for riding a scooter. The police don’t care anyway.

 

The street was packed with people, each minding their own businesses. I slowly drove the scooter because the road was slippery, and also because I would like to come back home in one piece, without traces of blood on my head. I turned right to an alley after a long time of ride, the street was narrow but luckily, my scooter was small that it could fit. I looked around and noticed that the street was empty— so I did the thing I’m most comfortable doing.

 

Time stopped.

 

I pulled the brake level towards me and the scooter slowly stopped. I stepped down and walked across the peaceful street with the plastic bag; looking at the address that mom gave me and read the customer’s name.

 

Kim Chaewon.

 

It was unfamiliar. Out of all the customers I’ve delivered chicken to, it was the first time I’ve heard of that name. She probably saw the ads on her SNS and decided to try our chicken. I saw a person wearing black, thick coat standing in front of a door just a couple houses away from me. I figured she must be that one so I exhaled cold breath and then everything went on. The sound of the wind echoed through the street again. Distant noise rings in my ear. The person looked at my direction and waved at me to come.

 

“Are you Kim Chaewon-ssi?” I asked. The girl nodded and took out her purse. She asked me the total cost of her order but I kept staring at her face, she somehow suddenly looked familiar. Like I’ve seen her face before.

 

“That would be 18,900 won for a whole boneless chicken and tteokbokki.” I answered, my gaze still fixed on her face. I gave her the plastic bag as she handed me her payment. Chaewon-ssi put down the plastic in front of the door as she sighed.

 

“I hope she takes it this time,” she uttered under her breath. I’m not really the type of person to in with other’s matter, but I couldn’t help but ask, “She?”

 

“Is that chicken not yours?” I added. I slid the money she gave inside my pocket as I let out another cold air. She shook her head and smiled at me. Her voice sounded as soothing as angels, and I reckon she’d be a great singer if she chooses to.

 

“That’s for the one living in this house. I just wanted to make sure she gets to eat every day,” she said. She landed her eyes at me again and laughed, as if she knew what was going on in my mind. “I know the chicken’s going to freeze if I leave it here outside, but she won’t accept it if I knocked on the door and hand it to her personally. Don’t worry, she can just use microwave to reheat the chicken.”

 

I nodded my head leisurely at her response. She tapped me on my shoulder twice and was about to leave when the door swung open. I blinked fast to make sure I was seeing her right, and when my mind was sure I wasn’t hallucinating, my heart screamed in enthusiasm.

 

Mom and dad used to tell me bedtime stories when I was a child. They read me stories about princesses and their prince, and how they found each other like a destiny. As a kid, I fell in love with the stories back then, and I loved how each of them had a happy ending. But when I grew up each year, I knew all was lie. People just can’t wait for their knight in shining armor to appear one day, or they’ll end up like Tinkerbelle watching Peter Pan from afar. Destiny isn’t real.

 

Or maybe it is.

 

“Kim Minjoo…” Chaewon-ssi said. So Minjoo was her name?

 

Minjoo completely went out of her house and took the plastic bag on the floor and handed it to Chaewon. “I told you to stay away from me, didn’t I?”

 

“I just wanted to see how you were doing…” she replied. The two talked as if I was invisible. The atmosphere suddenly felt heavy, like I was under a scorching heat of summer despite the thick coldness wandering around the town. Minjoo chuckled at Chaewon’s reply.

 

“I’ve been doing well for the past 5 years of living alone, Chaewon. Please, let me live in peace,” she pleaded.

 

“Dad wants to see you.” Chaewon quickly said. “His health has been failing, Minjoo. All he ever wants is to talk to you. At least hear his side, please. At least hear our side.”

 

I’m dumb at school but I’m not stupid enough to not sense what was happening between them. It was a conversation I’m not supposed to hear, and I’ve been taught to respect other’s privacy. I slowly stepped out of the scene to let them talk alone, but then a hand grabbed my arm which made me turn back to them.

 

“Yujin-ah, what are you doing here?” Minjoo asked. A warm smile plastered upon her lips. Confusion washed over me as I look at her hands holding my arm. What the hell is she doing?

 

Chaewon looked at our hands too.

 

“You know each other?” she asked. Minjoo’s arms clung onto mine and she proudly answered.

 

“That’s none of your business, actually.” Minjoo replied. “Tell your dad he’ll never be able to see me even if you kneel in front of me or freeze outside my house. My mom was the only family I ever had, Chaewon. Keep that in your mind.”

 

Minjoo walked out of the scene while still clinging onto my arms. I let her pull me away until we turned to another street. Minjoo pinned me against a wall while catching her breath. I eyed her face while she breathes in and out. She had almond shaped and hazel orbs eyes. Her brown, wavy hair showed signs that her soft hands been combed through it in distress. Her lips were as pink as cherry blossoms that had just bloomed in spring. This was the only time I had examined her overlook, and the lines on her face etched the story of a sad life trying to façade everything with fake happiness. I didn’t realize I was lost in my thoughts until she snapped a finger on my face.

 

“What are you doing here?” She asked.

 

“You remember me?” I asked back. Minjoo put down the hands that were on my shoulder and placed it on her waist.

 

“We just met yesterday!” she exclaimed. She peeked at her house’s street and her face— once again— grimaced. She brought her face closer to mine and whispered, “I know I sound thick-faced right now considering I only met you yesterday but can you please help me escape from here? Chaewon’s on her way here to probably follow us. She’s been stalking me for years, I’m getting tired of running away.”

 

She combed her hair with her fingers and sighed, “I wish that jerk would find himself useful and stop the time now.”

 

I stared at her dumb-founded. I haven’t been able to fully understand myself since yesterday. I don’t meddle with people’s problems because they’re such a pain, but I felt the need to help her when I heard her desperate request. In a second, the whispers of the wind disappeared. The world has been brought into sleep. I felt Minjoo’s tensed body relax when she saw Chaewon stop on her tracks, unmoving. She probably didn’t notice it was my doing due to the pressure Chaewon was giving her. She let out a sigh of relief and looked at me. “Ya, I guess I won’t need a hand. Chaewon would have no idea that I’m inside the house once everything moves again. See you around.”

 

Minjoo tapped my shoulder twice like she did yesterday before bidding me goodbye. She said thanks as her back became visible to me. I pulled her hands before she even got far away and she stared in confusion.

 

“Kim Minjoo, aren’t you going to return the favor I just gave you?” I gulped.

 

“Favor? When did I become indebted to you?” she asked.

 

“You just used me as an excuse to escape Chaewon-ssi! We’re not even close, yet you clung on to my arm like a tarsier!” I shouted. Minjoo would be able to hear everything even if it was a whisper because there isn’t any noise aside from the ones we make, but I still shouted without even realizing I was.

 

Minjoo chuckled, “What do you want? Banana milk? I didn’t bring any money, Yujin-ssi.” But I grabbed her hand once again and pulled her to where my scooter was located. Minjoo tried to resist from my grip, but it was too strong that she had to give up refusing.

 

“Take it,” I said as I handed her the extra helmet that I had.

 

“Where are we going?” I got on the scooter and wear my helmet before answering her query.

 

“I’m not gonna kidnap you or something. Don’t ask.” Thank god, Minjoo did what I told her to do. I operated the scooter and set off to a place I almost forgot to visit. I restarted the time when I dropped by a cake shop to buy a strawberry chiffon cake before heading to our final destination. Minjoo didn’t bother asking, probably still clueless that I was the one that manipulates time. Would that even make sense to her?

 

An eighteen year old kid messing with the most important thing to every human.

 

The ride went on for almost 20 minutes without any of us talking. I was thankful though, I wasn’t really ready of what to say to someone I just met 24 hours ago yet I had the courage to drag her to somewhere she doesn’t know. I stopped my scooter’s engine when we have reached the destination, Minjoo got down on her own and removed the helmet she wore.

 

“Where are we?” she asked.

 

“I’m just dropping this off to a friend, come with me.” I said as I raised the box of cake I bought. I observed the town’s alley and noticed the street was empty. Everyone’s probably in their own homes, living their lives.

 

Or at least what they believe they’re doing.

 

I stopped in front of an old door and knocked. It only took a few knocks before the door opened and a cute, happy face welcomed me. “Unnie!” she screamed in joy. I felt Minjoo bend her body sideward to see who I was talking to. “This is your friend?”

 

“Who is she, unnie?” the cute, little girl asked. I crouched to level my height to hers and caressed her hair. “She’s unnie’s friend. I promised you I’d bring you a new friend aside from your Yena unnie, right? Here she is.”

 

“Hi! My name is Wonyoung, what’s your name?” Wonyoung asked. I looked at Minjoo and nodded my head gently, asking her to come. Minjoo squatted beside me and held Wonyoung’s hands. “I’m Minjoo unnie,” she said. I showed Wonyoung the cake I bought and her face delighted with happiness, she let us come in inside her house and we had a small, fun talk.




 

“Is she your relative?” Minjoo asked as we walk back to my scooter. We walked through the alleyway that was almost as narrow as a straw. I glanced at Minjoo and noticed her hands were quivering in cold. I stopped walking, sat down the chair that was near us and motioned her to sit beside me too. Minjoo surprisingly did as I told her. I honestly thought she wasn’t the type to obey others’ commands.

 

“No, but she’s a special case. Wonyoung reminds me of someone I knew. It’s her father’s birthday today and I thought it would be great to gift him a cake. It’s Wonyoung’s favorite,” I said. I took the two hot packs out of my pocket and put it in her hands.

 

“It’s okay. I’m used to this,” she said as she rubs both her hands against each other but I insisted. I removed the blue furry gloves from my hand and put it on hers. This isn’t something I usually do to other people, yet I find myself doing things for her that wasn’t part of my nature.

 

Minjoo stared at the gloves that was now worn on her hands and whispered, “You didn’t have to do this.” I faintly smiled and closed my eyes to inhale the cold air. “I know. I didn’t have to bring you here and give you my favorite gloves but I still did. Why is that, though?” I said as I rubbed the hot packs in my hand.

 

She looked up and faced the setting sun that was in front of us with her eyes closed. “Don’t tell me you’ve fallen in love with me?” she asked. I almost choked on my own saliva when I heard her say those words. She was already looking at me when I gazed at her. “You’re kidding me.” I uttered, not on the state of question but in a form of statement. Who would fall in love with someone you just met yesterday?

 

“Of course I’m kidding,” she laughed, her eyes still fixed at me. I looked at her too without blinking, afraid that I would lose this staring battle. They say eyes are the way of knowing the truth, the way to know what a person truly feels. I listen to eyes whenever I feel doubtful because they speak so much truth. I study mom and dad’s eyes when I feel them hiding something from me. I cup Yena, my childhood friend’s cheeks so she wouldn’t avoid my stares when she lies. Eyes are the only thing that could never lie.

 

The thing is, I’ve only met Minjoo just last day, but it felt like I’ve known her my whole life just by staring at her eyes.

 

“Who’s Chaewon?” I bravely asked. I knew Chaewon was none of my business, and I didn’t really expect Minjoo would tell me who she was, but Minjoo shrugged. “She was my sister.” A bittersweet smile painted across her lips as she said those words.

 

“Was?” I placed my hands back on my pocket while she intertwined her hands with each other. Minjoo nodded, her eyes fixed on the floor. “Our parents divorced fourteen years ago. She went with her dad while I lived with mom. Mom was the only family I considered since then.”


 

We sat there in silence, no one dared to talk. I didn’t bother asking another question because I figured it wasn’t the right time to. I have no rights to even ask yet I did. Minjoo sighed after a few minutes and told me things I didn’t know she would share to me.

 

“Mom died five years ago if that’s what you want to ask. I live all on my own,” she said, almost on the form of whisper. I scratched my head lightly, having no idea what to say. Minjoo must’ve noticed it when I heard her laugh. “You don’t have to say anything. It’s okay.”

 

Minjoo continued telling me selected stories about her, and I listened. She told me about running away from her sister for five years. She told me she works part time to supply her needs, and that she was fired just yesterday due to unknown reason. (I swear she looked cute when she showed me her grumpy face.) She told me about her school, and I didn’t even realize we were attending the same school and on the same year level.

 

The only difference was: Minjoo is on the star section while I’m on the last.

 

The sky emitted darkness as the sun has fully set, but we still didn’t have any plans to go home.

 

A comfortable silence swallowed us again as an idea came into my mind. If she told me about herself, I might as well tell her mine too.

 

“Minjoo-ya,” I called, reaching out for a coin on my pocket. Minjoo stared back at me in disbelief, “Minjoo-ya? Who told you to speak informally to me, you weirdo?” she asked. I didn’t bother arguing with her with that matter. I lifted the 100 won coin I had and flicked it towards the air. In a swift, the coin froze in the wind. Minjoo reached out for the coin and observed its wholeness.

 

“So it was you,” she said. My brows furrowed at her response. I expected her to be surprised and beat me up based on the reaction she had when I stopped time yesterday, but she was wearing a smile.

 

“You knew?” I asked. “When?” I added. She chuckled and adjusted her seat before nodding.

 

“When we were escaping from Chaewon,” she said. “Isn’t it too obvious? The time stopped literally right after I wished it to, and you were the only one who heard me. I told you I’m on star section, didn’t I? I’m smart enough to figure that out.” I winced at her answer. I didn’t know she’d be this proud of herself. On the brighter side, I felt relieved. At least I won’t receive any beating today.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything? You even called me a jerk for stopping time yesterday.” I replied. She handed the coin back to me and said, “I was thankful.”

 

Minjoo looked towards me while smiling; the Indian dimples on her cheeks waving at me. “You saved me earlier, Yujin. I had no idea Chaewon will still be able to find me here, but I guess I have to move to a different place again,” she sighed. Minjoo stretched her arms and yawned, “Aigoo, I don’t even know why I’m here talking all sorts of things about me to you instead of finding a job. My rent’s due soon, I’ll end up homeless and freeze outside at this point.”

 

I bit my lower lip when a crazy idea came onto my mind. This is insane, and I’ll likely receive a beating from her but I took the courage to say it. If she refuses, then let it be.

 

“Move to our house,” I offered. Minjoo gave me a puzzled look; her eyebrows met each other on the center of her glabella. “Are you crazy? Why would you invite a stranger to your house? Let alone ask me to live with you?”

 

Minjoo continuingly shook her head, “No,” she firmly said.

 

I pressed my lips together and thought of reasons to convince her, my body felt tensed with the glare she’s giving me. This was probably what she felt earlier.

 

“You don’t have job, do you?” I asked. “My parents own a chicken shop. You can work there every weekend! Plus you’re a top student at our school, you can also tutor me every night, mom and dad would actually love that idea. It’s like earning your keep, I’m not going to let you stay at our house for free, stupid.”

 

“I appreciate the concern for me, weirdo, but that’s too much help you’ve given me. I don’t want to inconvenient you and your family every day,” she strongly said.

 

“I’m not concerned for you, I’m concerned for myself.” I answered confidently. “What do you mean?” she asked.

 

“Exams are near. I need a personal mentor to teach me, you know? School isn’t enough. Dad hasn’t found any single effective tutor for me. I just always fail despite those homeschooling. I figured I should try to learn from you because we’re almost the same age, and attends the same school. You will understand me better than the private teachers my dad is hiring.” I explained.

 

“It’s a win-win for everyone, Minjoo. You get a new home, a new job, while I learn from you and boost my grades at school. It’s also a win for my parents too! They’ve always dreamt of me having a passing grade. How’s that?” I added.

 

Minjoo thought about the suggestion I said for a couple of minutes, and I waited for her decision until she was done. Then I just remembered the world was fast asleep. Sleep was the term I always use when I stop the time. It still fascinates me how I stay awake all alone when the world’s in a deep slumber, and now that I know I wasn’t the only one who kept herself awake, I knew this was going to be fun.

 

My thoughts crumbled when I felt Minjoo beside me stand up. I looked up at her with desperation in my gaze, hoping she’d accept my proposal. She extended her hand and flashed big smile on her face, “Deal.”



 

February 5, 2021

 

When she was 8 years old, Yena told me she’ll be the top one student in our class and the smartest kid alive. When the school started and with the words Yena told me still lingering in my mind, I wonder why I believed everything she said when we were young.

 

Nervousness filled my body as I watch Minjoo heave the heaviest sigh. She looked at the papers we passed to her while shaking her head without fail. Yena and I shared glances, the stares we usually share whenever our homeroom teacher calls us for recitation.

 

“What do I do with you two?” Minjoo said; her voice was almost on the state of cracking up after a long, tiring day.

 

“Why? Is it wrong again?” Yena asked with the gentlest voice I’ve ever heard.

 

“You were both fine just last week! You’ve catch up to every lesson I taught you and now you answered all these like it’s our first day? This is a simple algebra!” Minjoo exclaimed. Yena scratched her head with her lips protruding, “Sorry. It’s just that I’ve been quite distracted these days.”

 

I looked at Yena and her duck shaped lips. I tried to suppress my laugh at her reaction but Minjoo must’ve caught me because she slapped my arms. “You think this is funny? Midterm exams are near, stupid!” She then glanced over Yena, “Tell me. What’s bothering you?”

 

That’s unfair. She just hit my arm and now she’s asking Yena what’s bothering her? I sense some favoritism here.

 

“The private teachers we had reward us presents whenever we perform well, I wonder if you could do the same too…” Yena pointed her index finger together.

 

“Ya, what are you? A kid? I have to save up money for school. Don’t try to steal money off from me by asking for presents.” Minjoo retorted as she smacked Yena on her head.

 

I have known Yena for 15 years, we lived in a same block when I was 3 and we’ve been friends since then. People adored our cuteness when we were at kindergarten and middle school, but now people call us the dumb and dumber of Korea when we stepped on our senior year. I, the dumb, and she, the dumber. I know what she thinks, what she likes, or what she hates. Literally just everything. And judging by what she’s spitting now, I knew she wasn’t talking about materialistic things.

 

“It’s not about money, though…” Yena hesitated; her eyes went back and forth from floor to Minjoo’s deadly glares.

 

“What do you want?” Minjoo asked. I remained quiet as I watch them talk, trying to figure out what she wanted. I flicked my tongue when I realized the answer I was looking for, and I was about to tell Minjoo when Yena said— “If you could give me Yuri’s number, then maybe that would motivate me with midterms.”

 

The last thing Yena said made me burst into laughter. Minjoo’s face palmed even more. Yena gave her a puppy eyes—no, scratch that—ducky eyes and lips rather. Yena has been crushing on Yuri since middle school. When she heard the news that Minjoo was staying at our house, she insisted on joining our nightly lesson since then. I could still picture how the ice cream we were eating came out of her nose after I told her about Minjoo.

 

That was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever witnessed.

 

Apparently, Minjoo and Yuri are close friends. They’ve been the top 1 and 2 students of our batch since first year, yet I had no idea about it. Yuri was probably the only student I knew outside our class, because Yena kept on talking about her every day.

 

“I knew it.” Minjoo frowned. She closed the book on the table and rested her chin on her hand. “You’re not gonna give up on Yuri, aren’t you?” she added, to which Yena replied with a firm “Never!”

 

“How about this?” Minjoo started. “If you receive an A for your Algebra quiz on Monday, I’ll give you Yuri’s number. I’ll even introduce you to her,” she added, a wide grin plastered on her face. Yena’s eyes sparkled with excitement until it only lasted a few seconds.

 

Yena and I never got an A.

 

“A is impossible, Minjoo! How about C plus? I got straight C plus last sem.” Yena proudly boasted.

 

“Do you want to die?!” Minjoo shouted, staring fiercely. “That’s a pitiful grade! Yuri never once had a C, even a B! I’m not gonna give my friend to someone who doesn’t even have the courage to try getting herself an A. Yuri deserves more than that,” she added.

 

Yena stood up from her seat after a couple minutes of pouting. She took her coat on Minjoo’s bed and went to the direction where the door was. I asked her where she was going and she answered, “You keep your promise, Kim Minjoo. I’m going home to study my off the whole night, and tomorrow, and even on Sunday!” She blurted as she slammed the door and walked out of the room. Minjoo and I looked at each other and laughed at what just happened.



 

“Aren’t you going back to your room?” Minjoo asked twenty minutes later after Yena walked out, her eyes fixed on her notebook. I stood up and stretched my body before I said bye. I got out of her room and went downstairs, heading straight to the refrigerator to take out the cake I bought beforehand.

 

It’s Minjoo’s birthday today.

 

A thrilled smile formed on my lips. I wonder if she’s going to like this surprise. I have been planning a lot of scenes in my mind for the past few days but none of them lasted. Either the plan was too dull, or it was too conspicuous. I realized Minjoo would like it better if I throw her a simple celebration.

 

I took the cake out of the box to light the candle and carried it all the way outside her room. I knocked with my free hand and Minjoo opened the door just after my fourth knock. “What—” Minjoo’s eyes expanded as soon as she saw me holding a cake. When I say she looks like a frog whenever her eyes widens, I wasn’t kidding. She was literally the personification of a frog.

 

“Happy birthday,” I greeted, slightly lifting the cake up to show it to her as if she hadn’t notice it yet. I pushed myself inside her room as I sing her a happy birthday, Minjoo stared at me blankly. I couldn’t understand what her looks meant, but it didn’t really matter to me. I wanted to make Minjoo feel how it feels to celebrate birthdays with someone.

 

“How did you know?” she asked. I shrugged my shoulders and let out a sneer.

 

“I, uh, sneaked into your homeroom teacher’s office and slightly looked at your school record.” I answered, emphasizing on the word ‘slightly.’

 

“But students are not allowed to even peek at other’s student rec—” Minjoo frowned as she looked at my grinning face and realized how I got her birthday. “You can’t just go around stopping the time and look at my records blatantly, Yujin,” she said.

 

“It’s okay. I only looked at your birthday, I swear!” I lied, I may have gone a little far beyond her birthday. She’s a monster honestly. Straight A plus since middle school? My parents could only dream of that.

 

“Aren’t you going to blow your candles before they all melt? My arms are getting sore, this one’s heavy, you know.” I complained, the small fumes of the candles blowing on my face.

 

Minjoo decided to let it pass this time (thankfully) and blew the candles off as she thanked me. I placed the cake on the table and sat to my seat earlier. Minjoo did the same.

 

“You’re really going to give Yuri’s number?” I asked out of the blue.

 

“If Yena gets an A,” she replied as she arranged the remaining books and papers scattered on the table. “I don’t see any problem with giving her Yuri’s number.” Minjoo added.

 

“She’s getting an A.” I confirmed. I gave her a fork that I brought before coming here and she gladly took it from me. Minjoo turned her head towards me as if waiting for a ‘Nah, I’m just kidding’ response from me but I affirmed still. “Yena does her best when she really wants something. She makes the impossible happen, Minjoo. Sometimes she still surprises me.” I added.

 

“That’s good then. Why don’t you make the impossible happen too? Your parents would be so proud if you at least receive a passing grade.” she chuckled, taking a small bite from the cake. “Tell me.” Minjoo fixed herself to get a comfortable seat and faced me. “What do you want?” she asked.

 

“Why? Are you gonna grant my wish too?” A small laugh escaped my lips.

 

“Of course! I think it would be unfair to my other student if I didn’t. As long as I can give it to you,” she smiled, taking another bite from her birthday cake.

 

If you were wondering what happened during the past few weeks, there’s nothing really important there is to say. Mom and dad warmly welcomed Minjoo in our home. They were even happy when I told them about her. Minjoo worked with me on the shop through weekends. She would take me to Math, English, Science lessons every weekday night with Yena. She excelled in almost everything, and during the past few days, my focus has been on her too.

 

I rested my head on the chair’s backrest and closed my eyes. Fear suddenly ate my soul when I realized that the answer to her question was Minjoo herself. I wanted Minjo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter