the only one

get you the moon (drabbles)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byulyi flinched slightly when the cold gel was spread across her stomach. She laid comfortably on the chair and looked closely at the monitor.

 

"Are you sure you don't want to wait a little more?" Byulyi's OBGYN, Dr Kim, asked, but Byulyi rolled her eyes slightly.

 

"No. Let's proceed." 

 

They proceeded with their first ultrasound and because Byulyi was late at getting one, they could identify the gender of the baby. Byulyi was more than excited to find out if she was having a princess or a prince.

 

"You're having a little princess. Congratulations." Dr Kim said as she wiped off the gel on the younger woman's stomach.

 

"Thank you. Could you print that out?" 

 

"Of course."

 

They waited for a few minutes before Dr Kim handed Byulyi a small photo of the ultrasound. 

 

"I'll see you in a few weeks. And I hope you bring your partner along, okay? It's good to have some support." Dr Kim gave a gentle pat on Byulyi's shoulder.

 

Byulyi only gave a slight smile.

 

While waiting in line for the payment, there was a noise coming from the entrance of the hospital. Byulyi looked up to find Yongsun making her way through the entrance while struggling with a box of what seemed to be leftover paints and brushes. Her arms were covered in paints and traces of dirt were present on her face.

 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I got caught up at an event. How did it go? Did you find out the gender of our baby?" Yongsun was panting, but Byulyi could only roll her eyes and sigh.

 

Byulyi was next in line and Yongsun quickly placed the box on the floor. She fished for her wallet in her bag, "I'll pay for the scan, Byul. How much is it?"

 

"Yeah? With what? Your leftover paints?" Byulyi finally had enough. 

 

First, Yongsun begged for Byulyi to let her accompany her to the ultrasound. 

 

Second, Yongsun promised her that she'll go with her.

 

Third, Yongsun swore she'd be by Byulyi's side from then on.

 

But the older woman managed to break all of her promises in one day.

 

The nurse at the counter looked back and forth at the couple awkwardly, before clearing . "It's eighty dollars for today, ma'am."

 

Yongsun opened her wallet but realised that she made lesser than the cost of the scan from the event. She flashed a charming smile, looking at the nurse, Yongsun carried her box of paints up, "I swear to you, these paints cost a lot more than eighty bucks."

 

The nurse wasn't sure whether she was trying to contain her laughter because of Byulyi's dumbfounded face or the fact that Yongsun was serious at trying to pay with her paints.

 

"Get out of my way, Kim Yongsun." Byulyi shoved Yongsun aside and handed her card to the nurse.

 

---

 

"If you're not serious at all, then don't even come, okay? I was stupid enough to think that you actually wanted to start acting like an adult." Byulyi opened the door to her car and closed it. She rolled down the window just enough to hear Yongsun's voice.

 

"I'm serious about this, Byul! I want to take care of you and our baby. Look, it was a kids' event and I wanted to leave but the kids were asking for me to paint pictures of them so I got caught up." 

 

"And did you get paid for the extra hours?"

 

Byulyi took Yongsun's silence as her answer and was about to drive off but Yongsun stopped her. "Please. I'll come with you for the next appointment. I promise."

 

"Your promises don't mean anything to me anymore, Yongsun. Until you decide to get a real job and stop living your life as a broke freelance artist, I don't want to hear from you or have anything to do with you. If you can't even take care of yourself, don't even think about taking care of me and my baby, okay?"

 

With that, Byulyi drove off. 

 

It wasn't as if Byulyi couldn't take care of herself or provide for her unborn child. Byulyi's family are wealthy and ready to help her financially any time she needs. Byulyi has a stable job working as a senior recording engineer, she could provide for herself pretty well, as well as for her child. But Yongsun is her soulmate. The only one for her. She kept giving Yongsun chances but there's a limit to Byulyi's patience.

 

Yongsun, on the other hand, was always struggling to make ends meet. She is so behind on her rent that if she's late on one more rent, she'd be kicked out of her small shabby apartment. Yongsun always believed that one day, someone would pick up her art and sign a contract with her so she could finally stop worrying about money and just do what she loves.

 

When Yongsun found out Byulyi was pregnant with her baby, she was beyond happy. But things quickly changed when Byulyi told her she needed to get a real job.

 

They had an argument about that, and not wanting to make Byulyi mad, Yongsun promised she'd find a full time job but instead of actually doing it, Yongsun took on more events and parties, hoping that doing more of those would make up for not hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter