seventeen

Letting You Go
Please log in to read the full chapter
17

 

Yeonhee inhales deeply, savouring all the fresh air that she can have. Winter finally ends and here comes Spring, Yeonhee's favourite season.

"Good morning appa" Yeonhee greets her father's tombstone with a smile.

Lately, this is the place she frequently visits, at least once a week. She talks her heart out to her father even though she knew she won't get any response, but talking to her father that way lifts up her spirit and gives her strength to face another new day.

"It's finally spring, appa. Soon the flowers will start blooming. And also, soon is Sehun's birthday!" she chuckles picturing Sehun's smiling face in her mind.

"What should I buy him for his birthday?" Yeonhee asked even though she knows there won't be any response.

"You know what appa, I have been thinking, if it was the other way around, if I were the one who was forced to marry Sehun, if I were told to break off my relationship with my boyfriend, I would be very mad too. I would do the same, I would hate every inch of him, like how he's hating every inch of me. I'm starting to understand why he hates me. He's right after all, I have been so selfish"

She lays down the flowers she brought along on the ground.

"I know you are watching us from heaven and I know you know how he treats me. But please don't hate him okay. He's not a bad person"

"You know appa, last week we went to a party. Well not a party to be exact, it was a formal event celebrating Kim Jongin's family's law firm anniversary. I urmmm... well... I got drunk" Yeonhee said and laugh sheepishly. 

"Can you believe I got drunk over a punch? It's funny right? But I felt guilty to Sehun, he had to take care of me that night and I honestly don't remember anything"

"See. He's not that bad right?" She keeps on talking to her father. Somtimes she laughs a bit telling him funny stories. It's like she's recapping her daily activities to her father. If anyone saw this, they might think Yeonhee is some crazy lady talking to herself.

After spending almost an hour talking to her father, she takes her leave. Yeonhee drives to her workplace feeling happy and content. Everytime after she visits her father, she'll become more energized, despite she's actually getting sicker. Day by day, she is becoming weaker. Her skin is now paler. She tries to hide it with a touch of make up and believes that no one will notice it especially Sehun. She assumes Sehun would never bother himself about her and would never notice her physical changes. 

In the past, Yeonhee would be disappointed not to have the chance to talk to Sehun. But now, she is comfortable this way. Now, she would try to leave for work earlier than Sehun and merely leave a note on the fridge reminding him not to skip breakfast. And at night, since Sehun always comes home late, she would try to have her dinner early and finish it as soon as possible.

It was hard at first distancing herself from Sehun, but she's slowly getting used to it. Her love for Sehun never fades away but as long as she can still see Sehun from afar, as long as she knows he is okay, she's more than satisfied. She no longer feel dejected and frustrated like before. 

 

 

 

Yeonhee is arranging her newly arrived art supplies in the studio when a colleague told her someone is looking for her at the gallery's main entrance.

"Someone's looking for me? Who?" Yeonhee asked.

"I don't know. He's very handsome" her colleague answered excitedly.

"A he? Maybe a tax auditor?" Yeonhee keeps wondering.

"I don't think so. He's too handsome to be an auditor. Besides, they would just call you or send you an email about taxes. They won't come here to your workplace" her colleague said who is totally smitten right now.

Seing Yeonhee slowly dragging her feet, her colleague starts to force her, "Hurry up! He's been waiting for you"

'Who would look for me?' Yeonhee thought to herself.

As she walks to the entrance, she sees the man meant by her colleague. A smile formed on her lips. "Ouh.. Oppa, what are you doing here? Is it your day off today? I thought you are still in Busan" Yeonhee asked the man.

The man doesn't answer. He looks at her with an unfathomable expression.

"Namjoon oppa, what's wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Are you playing dumb with me?" Namjoon asked her with a furious face.

Yeonhee sighs. "I don't know what you're talking about. I think I should get back to work" Yeonhee said and turns to walk back to the studio. 

Namjoon grabs her arm harshly and asked "Why?"

Yeonhee knows very well what he meant. She was supposed to go to her appointment with Dr Song two days ago but she didn't. Namjoon reminded her on the day, a day before, and two days before. It was impossible for Yeonhee to forget about it. Namjoon is very sure she missed her appointment purposely.

"It's none of your business oppa. Whether I went to the appointment or not, it's none of your business. Look, you are a good friend but are you aware you are violating my privacy?"

"I am your doctor Yeonhee"

"No, you're not. Dr Song is"

"Is this because of your husband? Did he tell you not to do the surgery?"

"This has nothing to do with him"

Namjoon looks at her sharply. He knows something is not right. "Does he even know?"

"Like I said, it's none of your business"

"Look Yeonhee. Your condition will get worse. It seems like a small matter now but it will be fatal if you didn't do anything about it"

"You don't have to worry about that. I take my meds diligently"

"The meds won't cure you. They only slow the progress and helps you overcome the pain"

Namjoon is begging her to understand her situation. Unfortunately, Yeonhee is being ridiculously stubborn.

"Oppa, please. I'm not in the mood to talk about this"

"I care about you Yeonhee. I lost my fianceé once, I won't lose my friend next"

Little did they know, Sehun has been observing them from across the road. At first, he saw Yeonhee talking to a man, then he saw the man forcefully grabbed Yeonhee's arm. Sensing that something is not right, he crosses the road, and walks straight to them. 

Both of them aren't aware of Sehun so he fakes a cough as a sign telling both of them he's there as well.

Yeonhee turns her head and gasps, surprised by Sehun's presence out of sudden.

"What are you doing here?" Yeonhee asked.

Sehun doesn't answer her. He swiftly stands in between Yeonhee and Namjoon.

"Who are you?" Namjoon asked furiously. He has no idea the man standing in front of him is Yeonhee's husband.

"I bring you iced Americano" Sehun said to Yeonhee while handing her the cup. Then he looks straight at Namjoon "What business do you have with my wife?"

Both Yeonhee and Namjoon fall silent for a moment. Yeonhee is confused and surprised by her husband presence. 'He never gives a damn about my workplace, let alone brings me a cup of iced Americano. What's with him today?' Yeonhee thought. While for Namjoon, he is surprised as he never expect to finally meet Yeonhee's husband, in this kind of situation.

"

Please log in to read the full chapter