Kakayanin!

Pag May Alak, May Balak

Sa kabilang parte naman ng mundo, Jennie had just finished putting on her make up. She didn't really feel like celebrating her own birthday but, as usual, pinangunahan na naman siya ng parents niya and invited a bunch of people. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled as she had the perfect speech to give out tonight.

 

She went out of the room and most of the guests had already arrived. She greeted and made some small talk to them, who were mostly her parents' business friends. She could only count in one hand the ones she really knew.

 

They were called into the dining area where dinner would be served. Once everyone was seated, her father spoke to their guests.

 

"Good evening everyone and thank you all for coming to celebrate our daughter's birthday. As you all know, she has been living away from us as a way for us to teach her independence. And now that she's finally back here, she is more than ready to take on her position at the company."

 

Nagpalakpakan naman ang mga bisita at kahit hindi naman aware talaga si Jennie na she'll be working na in their company, at wala siyang balak, sinakyan niya lang ito at ngumiti.

 

Jennie was sitting on the left side of her mom and on her right is one of her childhood friends, Deb, whom she reconnected with after learning that she was back in the country as well.

 

"Are you sure about this?" her friend whispered.

 

"100%" she responded.

 

Flashback...

 

A few days after they arrived in New Zealand, as she half-heartedly unpacked some of her things, she noticed something inside one of the Chanel bags she last used. It was the bag na binili nila when they won the competition na sinalihan nilang dalawa.

 

The moment she looked at it up close, her whole body started shaking.

 

It was a small black box and she didn't have to guess what was inside.

 

She carefully opened it and a small piece of paper fell. It was a letter with Jisoo's neat small handwriting on it. Even before she started reading the letter, her tears already fell.

 

As I'm writing this letter, my heart is breaking. I always feared the day when you had to leave and I always prayed that it never came. I wish I had more time to be with you, but I understand that maybe, right now, is not our time. I don't know where we will go from here, but what I am sure of is that I will be waiting for you. No matter how long it takes for you to get back to me. I love you and I will always love you. And someday I still wish to marry you.

 

-Jisoo

 

She finished reading the letter and stared at the ring that came with it. It was exactly the one she wanted. She had no idea that Jisoo had bought it and was probably waiting for the right time to give it to her. And that never happened because she left.

 

But that made her come up with the perfect plan to give her answer to Jisoo. A plan she carefully thought of with the help of some people.

 

End of flashback...

 

When everyone finished their food, Mr. Kim called everyone's attention for Jennie to say something to their guests. She stood up and gave one last look at her friend, who gave a thumb's up.

 

"Thank you once again for celebrating this day with me. I would like to take this moment to thank my parents for giving me the opportunity to learn not to depend on them from the time I spent in another country. It really opened my mind to a lot of things. One of which is that love is such a powerful emotion. It makes a person do incredible things for the ones they love and sometimes unreasonable things as well. You learn how to sacrifice and accept that some things don't always go our way. You learn how to compromise even if it's something you're not used to. But if you're with the right person, all of those would be something worthwhile. I've learned that people have different ways of loving someone. There are those who provide you with food, shelter, clothing and money, which for them is enough. That's exactly how my parents showed their love to me, since they're always busy. There are those who are willing to let you go for the sake of someone else's happiness. And then there are those who are willing to wait for you no matter what. I found that person who did those two things for me. Despite the heartbreak it gave that person, this person let me go just because my own parents weren't happy with the one I chose."

 

Jennie could feel the stares her parents were giving her but she didn't care anymore.

 

"This person was the one who helped me become a better person. Taught me a whole lot of things, like learning to save money, cleaning the house, doing my own laundry and even making sure I didn't waste any food. This person even taught me how to plant and make rice. This person knows how to calm me down and always reminds me to control my mood swings. This person never fails to put a smile on my face and makes me cry my heart out with lame jokes. This person would have been the "the one" in my parents' eyes, had this person been born of a different gender. I don't think I reciprocated half the things this person taught and gave me and now it's my turn to do it."

 

Her mom attempted pa to stop her. "Don't you dare Jennie Kim"

 

Nginitian lang niya ito then showed everyone the ring.

 

"I'd like everyone to know that I am now... officially engaged to the woman who showed me what real love is."

 

Jennie was expecting a forced acceptance from the guests, who again are mostly her parents' friends, but the round of applause and cheers she heard made her really happy and gave her even more courage to do what she planned next.

 

******************

"What the hell was that, Jennie? You humiliated us in front of our friends!" galit na galit na sabi ng kanyang ina na sinundan siya sa kwarto niya.

 

"That's what I thought. It's my birthday but this is still about you two, huh? It's always been about you. Well, I'm sorry mother... for telling the truth"

 

Pumasok ng kwarto ang tatay niya at sa lakas ng pwersa nito ay naalog ang pintuan. "What do you think you're playing at kid? You have nowhere else to go. And keep dreaming if you think we'll approve of this engagement"

 

"Technically, you don't have a say in that anymore. For Christ's sake, I'm already 25 years old! Stop treating me like a child who doesn't know what I'm doing."

 

"That's the thing! You don't know what you are doing, so stop this foolishness about getting married to that good for nothing woman!" sagot ng nanay niya and this time, hindi na napigilan ni Jennie ang kamay niya ng magland ito sa pisngi ng nanay niya.

 

Nagulat din siya sa ginawa niya pero hindi niya ito pinagsisihan. Bago pa may nakapagsalita ulit ay lumabas na ulit siya ng kwarto at kinarga na ang dalawang aso niya.

 

"If you take one more step, I swear to god, you won't like what's coming for you, Jennie", banta ng tatay niya as she opened the main door.

 

"You don't believe in god, dad. And besides, I'm all set. You gave me full access and authorization to my money, right?"

 

Nanlaki naman ang mata ng tatay niya when he remembered that he had done just that a day after nilang dumating. Something he realized was a big mistake.

 

"Thanks, by the way. I'd invite you guys to the wedding but I'm pretty sure you'd be busy by then, just like you've always been. I can promise you something though. I promise that I'd be the happiest bride on that day. I love you both and thank you for everything, but this time, I'm going after what I want."

 

With one more look at her parents, Jennie walked out and got inside the car that was waiting for her. She felt so happy to leave the house and go to where her real home is. With Jisoo.

 

"That was really bold of you, Jennie. I'm so proud. Congrats on the engagement, by the way" sabi ni Deb, who offered her assistance to be her get away driver.

 

It didn't take long for them to reach the airport and once she finished checking in, she hugged her friend for giving her the push to really go after what she wanted.

 

"I'd like to get an update on your reunion, okay? And, of course, I hope to meet this person who got you head over hills in love."

 

"Of course. Thank you so much Deb"

 

After waving goodbye, she entered the gate and waited until her flight to be called.

 

******************************

Jennie couldn't sleep all through the flight. She kept imagining the scenario where she surprises Jisoo with the ring on her finger.

 

But it was a long journey back to the Philippines and a few hours later, she found herself dozing off.

 

She woke up when she heard the in flight announcement that they were now landing at Ninoy Aquino International Airport and, just like that, she was energized.

 

It was already half past nine in the evening and she had to drop her luggage off. So as soon as she got her things, she went and hailed a cab.

 

Normally, the team would take their lunch around 1 AM so she has enough time to prepare. The only person she contacted was Wendy, since she knew that she didn't have classes yet and would have more freedom to go outside the production floor.

 

Her condo, unfortunately, was already turned over, so the only place she thought of was Jisoo's apartment, which she had a key to. The cab driver helped her carry her luggage and when she opened the door, Dalgom excitedly greeted her. More so when he saw Kuma and Kai.

 

"We're officially going to be a family, Dalgomie," she said as she patted the dog's head.

 

Of course, the dog wouldn't really respond but the high pitched barking was answer enough for Jennie.

 

She let the three dogs play as she fixed her things inside the bedroom. Six months ago, Jisoo had already asked her to move in with her but she declined due to the fact that her contract for the condo wasn't done yet. Her parents did pay for the penalty when they asked her to leave with them. But she knew that Jisoo had already made some renovations, starting with the cabinet where she already had her own space.

 

She was almost done unpacking (finally) when her phone chimed and a message from Wendy came in.

 

ssw: what time should I pick you up?

jrk: I'll make sure to be done by 1230.

ssw: noted. lemme know when you're done getting ready.

jrk: will do. thanks again.

 

She placed the last few clothing items inside, then took a bath.

 

An hour later, she had just finished combing her hair when she received another message from Wendy.

 

ssw: I'm almost there ha. may mga dala ka bang gamit?

jrk: hmm. wala naman. dito ko na lang sa apartment ibibigay later.

ssw: okie.

 

Dumating na nga si Wendy kaya nagpaalam na rin siya sa tatlong aso and stepped out of the apartment. She saw the familiar car kaya sumakay na din siya.

 

Wendy hugged her. "Thank you for coming back, Jennie."

 

"Hinding hindi na ako aalis", sabi niya, then showed her the ring.

 

"Oh shiiit! Jisoo's gonna freak out. I would definitely have to record that"

 

Nagtuloy na sila sa biyahe papunta ng office. At habang papalapit sila ay excited at kinakabahan si Jennie. Nakarating din sila by 1245 at ang plano nga ay aayain nila si Jisoo na kumaen somewhere. Hindi naman din hihindi yun lalo sa pagkaen.

 

Iniwan muna ni Wendy si Jennie sa restaurant na malapit sa office bago siya umakyat sa production floor.

 

Pagpatak nga ng 1 AM ay nagmessage na si Wendy na honda na nagpunch ng lunch ang tropa. Wala din silang idea pero go lang sila sa kung saan gustong kumaen ng majority.

 

Bawat ganap ay naguupdate si Wendy.

 

ssw: antay lang elevator.

ssw: kakasakay lang

ssw: kakalabas lang

ssw: yosi daw muna saglit

ssw: lalakad na papunta

ssw: papasok na

ssw: enjoy

 

Natawa na lang talaga si Jennie dahil literal namang update ang ginawa ni Wendy pero she really appreciates it.

 

Maya maya lang ay narinig naman niya ang boses ni Lisa na nangingibabaw sa lahat.

 

"Ayos walang tao. Hanap na kayo pwesto"

 

Nakatalikod siya sa lahat at nakaupo sa pinakasulok na table but she can still see them through the reflection sa glass wall.

 

ssw: g na ba? para ihanda ko na yung video

jrk: game time

 

Kumpleto ang team Irene plus Wendy, of course, and lahat busy sa mga pagkaen nila kaya hindi rin nila napansin na may papalapit sa kanilang babae.

 

"Guys binati niyo ba si Jennie kahapon?" tanong ni Wendy.

 

"Oo naman" mabilis nilang sagot.

 

"Gawa tayo video message tapos padala natin" suggestion nito at game naman talaga sila.

 

"O sige, una ka na Jisoo"

 

Tinapat ni Wendy ang camera sa kanya.

 

"Hi Jennie. I already sent a separate video message pero this one is with the team. Ayun, happy birthday. I hope masarap ang mga handa niyo. I'm sure you got lots of branded stuff and I'm sure ikinatuwa mo yun. Uhm. Ano pa ba?..."

 

Habang busy sa pagiwan ng mensahe si Jisoo ay sumenyas si Jennie sa mga nakakita na sa kanya na huwag maingay. Kaya lahat sila napa-silent scream at si Jisoo ay walang kamalay malay sa nangyayare sa likod niya.

 

"...Namimiss na kita. Wish ko lang talaga na sana I get to see you. Kahit gaano pa katagal yan, magaantay ako. Mahal na mahal kita"

 

"Okay na ba yun?" dugtong na tanong niya kay Wendy na inayos na ang focus ng camera at nagbigay ng signal kay Jennie.

 

"Mahal na mahal din kita babe" bulong ni Jennie kay Jisoo na nagulantang at nahulog pa sa kinauupuan niya.

 

Naghiyawan na ang buong tropa at kahit yung mga staff ng restaurant ay nakipalakpak na kahit hindi sila sigurado kung anong ganap.

 

"Is this for real?" sabi ni Jisoo pagkatanggap niya ng kamay ni Jennie na tumulong sa kanyang tumayo.

 

"Yes babe. I'm here and this time... I'm not leaving you anymore."

 

At ayun na nga at pinakita niya ang suot niyang singsing. Hindi na nakapagsalita pa si Jisoo at naiyak na talaga siya.

 

And yes, everything was caught on camera.

 

Pagbalik nila from lunch, ganadong ganado magcalls si Jisoo kahit pa queueing since it's Monday. At hanggang natapos nga ang shift ay hindi na naalis ang ngiti sa mukha niya.

 

The team wanted to celebrate Jennie's return pero siyempre they gave way na for babe time.

 

When they got home sa apartment, sinunggaban kaagad ng halik ni Jisoo si Jennie. Hindi na nga nila napansin yung tatlong aso na nagaabang sa kanila.

 

There wasn't much talking that happened. Well, if you consider sagutan ng moans as talking, then yeah, sure. Pero parehong sabik sa isa't isa kaya pagbigyan natin.

 

After their nth round, umalis na sa pagkapatong si Jisoo kay Jennie at tumabi na lang sa kanya. Parehong pagod pero parehong nakangiti.

 

"That was intense" hingal na sabi ni Jennie.

 

"I know right?" sabi naman ni Jisoo as she held her hand. She mentally tapped her shoulder when she looked at the ring on her now fiancé's finger. Perfect fit kasi.

 

"I kept staring at the ring after wearing it and wondered how on earth you knew my size."

 

"Babe, I've been holding your hand for more than a year now, so I should know it by heart"

 

They kissed one more time bago napatingin sa orasan si Jisoo at nagulat na 2 PM na pala. 6 AM yung out nila kanina.

 

"I don't know if I should prioritize eating or sleeping"

 

"I'm actually full" sabi ni Jisoo pero natawa din siya dahil pareho sila ng naisip ni Jennie.

 

"Light snacks then?"

 

"Okay!"

 

Tumayo na si Jisoo at nagsuot ng damit. She was thankful na she bought a dog food dispenser na sinuggest ni Lisa kaya she didn't have to worry na magutom ang mga doggies.

 

She then checked kung anong pwede niyang iprep na snacks. She saw a few pieces of roti naman so yun na ang ginawa niya.

 

"Ano palang balak mo ngayon babe? I mean, now that you resigned na din"

 

Napaisip si Jennie. She didn't think about that din talaga cause she was more focused on getting herself home.

 

"I was thinking of maybe putting up a business. My childhood friend Deb, the one who helped my 'escape', said I could start investing first, then from there, I could start my own na din"

 

"Siya ba yung palagi mong kasama dun sa mga recent posts mo?" tanong ni Jisoo na may hint ng unting pagiintriga.

 

Tinaasan siya ng kilay ni Jennie. "You have nothing to worry about her, but yes, siya po yun"

 

Nataas naman kaagad ng kamay si Jisoo. "I was just asking babe"

 

"Yeah right."

 

Panandalian silang nagtitigan at sabay ding natawa.

 

******************************

Things were getting better for Jennie and Jisoo. Since madalas din naman na they would stay at each other's place for a few weeks at a time, so there wasn't much of an adjustment to living together.

 

If ever, mas naging homey ang atmosphere. With them, alternating to cook food for each other and sharing responsibility sa paglinis ng bahay, paglaundry ng mga damit and then of course ang paglakad sa mga aso and to do their groceries.

 

They also made a promise to always be honest with each other and no more surprises unless, of course, it's a really good and positive one.

 

"Anything you wanna do today babe?" tanong ni Jisoo nang maupo sila sa couch. Their three dogs were playing by their feet.

 

"Nothing really. Unless may magaya sa kanila. We've kinda been declining their invitations for a few weeks now."

 

"Onga noh. Teka, tanong ko sila"

 

Jisoo fished her phone from her pocket and messaged their group chat.

 

jensoo: wala bang plano today?

michaeng: wala pero kung mag-aaya ka go lang kami

2yeon: free din kami ni nabong

winrina: same with us ni jagiya

chaelisa: no go kami ni rosie. walang maiiwan sa kambal. may lakad na si ate eh

wenrene: may doctor's appt lang kami ni irene after lunch pero pwede kaming sumunod

joygi: try din namin ni ligaya

jinlia: nasa labas na kami so sabihan niyo kung saan magkikita kita

chaerji: kasama namin si yuna. gora din kami

ningselle: whose house or which bar?

satzu: teka anong oras ito?

dahmo: basta may pagkaen

jensoo: bibilis magreply ah. o siya kami na magdedecide. sagot na din namin ang unang round

 

After deciding on where to go and what time, magkikita kita, dahil maaga pa naman, nag-lunch na muna silang dalawa.

 

*****************************

Unang dumating sa napagagreehan na lugar sina Ryujin at Lia na kagagaling lang sa movie date nila. Nakapag-reserve na naman ng room si Jisoo, so after the receptionist confirmed it, pumasok na sila sa loob.

 

jinlia: *photo attachment* here na. order na ba kami?

jensoo: go lang. otw na din kami

wenrene: almost there as well.

winrina: kakaalis lang po ng bahay. sunduin lang din namin sila gi

 

Nagorder na nga ng pagkaen at inumin si Ryujin habang nagpila na ng mga kanta si Lia. After ng dalawang songs ay dumating na sina Jennie at Jisoo and a few minutes later, sina Wendy at Irene.

 

In the next hour, dumating na din ang tropang nag-confirm na makakapunta and ang missing lang ay sina Seulgi, Joy, Rosé and Lisa.

 

"Balak niyo bang mag-kasalang bayan? Halos magkakasunod lang kayong nag-si-engagean eh" tanong ni Jeongyeon after magkakasunod na nag-duet ang ilang tropa.

 

"Honestly, I had no idea din naman na magpopropose din sila" sabi naman ni Tzuyu.

 

"I felt po kasi na it was the right time since Winter and I have been together for many years na" sabi naman ni Karina.

 

"Technically, informal yung pagtatanong ko" comment naman ni Jisoo.

 

"Still, you asked and I'm wearing the ring na babe" sagot naman ni Jennie.

 

"Basta mauuna pa din kami ni Joy ah. May target date na kami. Kukutusan ko kayo isa isa" pabirong banta ni Seulgi.

 

Sakto namang napatingin sila kay Chaeyoung na nakaluhod sa harapan ni Mina at may hawak na maliit na container.

 

"Uy! Ano yan?" excited na tanong ni Nayeon.

 

Sabay tumingin sina Mina at Chaeyoung at parehong naweirduhan sa mga reaksyon nila.

 

"Anong meron?" tanong ni Chaeyoung then she realized kung ano ba pwestuhan niya and kung ano ang naisip ng tropa.

 

"Waittt it's not what it looks like. I mean, it's not yet what you think it is. Nahulog lang yung lagayan ng contact lense ni Mina kaya pinulot ko" pagpaliwanag ni Chaeyoung sabay pinakita ang hawak niya.

 

"Ay nubayan. Akala ko pa naman may isa pang proposal na magaganap" sabi ni Sana.

 

"We're not yet ready for that, right hon?" natatawang sabi ni Mina at tumango ang kausap.

 

Nagtuloy ang kantahan.

 

****************************

"So ayun nga, I saw the ring and naisip ko talaga na, that was the sign I needed to follow what my heart really wanted and to let nobody decide what's going to make me happy" kwento ni Jennie sa team bottom habang lumabas ang team top para sa smoke break.

 

"How did your parents take it? Kasi di ba hindi kayo legal ni Jisoo sa kanila?" tanong ni Nayeon.

 

"Sinabihan na ako nila mommy na we'll be having a party kahit wala talaga ako sa mood to celebrate pero hinayaan ko na since sa isip ko, that'll be the last time na pagbibigyan ko sila. So the days before, lumalabas ako with my childhood friend who's also a proud lesbian. She made me realize na, oo nga naman at I'm of age na and decisions like engagement and marriage are something na I can fully decide on without my parents' approval. Kaya naman I booked a ticket na agad. Then I planned to reveal to everyone that I'm engaged na. Wala silang nagawa that time kasi may mga bisita pa pero pagkaalis ng lahat, galit na galit silang dalawa. As expected. Some words were exchanged, then I walked out of the house. Deb was waiting so we headed straight to the airport" pagkwento ni Jennie.

 

"Baka bigla ka nilang balikan dito ha" concerned na sabi ni Rosé.

 

"I highly doubt that. My dad even gave me full access to my money pagdating namin dun. So really, I'm all set"

 

"TL, pwede pa bang bumalik si Jennie sa office?" tanong naman ni Joy.

 

"That's really up to her, kasi as far as I know, she can naman" sagot ni Irene.

 

****************************

"May official proposal po bang magaganap?" tanong ni Ryujin.

 

"Need pa ba eh suot na niya yung singsing" sagot naman ni Jisoo.

 

"For documentation purposes" comment naman ni Lisa at nagtanguan ang iba.

 

Sabay sabay silang nagkuhaan ng isa pang stick ng yosi. Jisoo just watched her friends and naisip na maswerte talaga siya sa mga kaibigang meron siya. The two weeks na wala si Jennie felt longer sa kanya. For her, when she left, it was as if nawalan na siya ng gana to be functional sa ibang bagay. Pumapasok siya ng trabaho, yes, pero ang nasa isip niya that time is, paano na lang si Dalgom kung hindi siya magtatrabaho. Kakayod siya para hindi magutom ang anak niya kahit siya mismo eh nakakalimutan minsan na pakainin ang sarili. Her friends never failed to check up on her naman and to remind her not to forget herself. When she said na pipiliin niyang isave ang sarili niya, she lied. Not to anyone but to herself.

 

"Guys" panimula ni Jisoo which made the others look at her. "Salamat ha" kumunot naman ang mga noo ng mga kaibigan. "Deh kasi ano... salamat sa pagiging mabuting mga kaibigan sa akin... I reached my lowest not long ago, pero you guys never let me sink further... each and everyone of you held their hands out for me to reach you and kept me afloat... solid talaga itong pagsasamahan natin and I could never thank you enough sa ginawa niyo for me"

 

Hindi naman expected ng tropa ang mga sinabi ni Jisoo. What they did lang naman is what a good friend would do. For them, wala namang kakaiba sa mga ginawa nila. They didn't know na what they did had such an effect on one of their own.

 

****************************

Jennie never heard back again from her parents, even after a month had passed. For her, it was a good thing pero minsan naisip niya, her dad would really follow through with his threat. But he didn't. She did receive a short message after she left saying, na they really are not happy with the choice she made but will try to understand why she did that. For Jennie, it was good enough that they would try. Knowing her parents, hindi magiging madali ito para sa kanila.

 

While Jisoo was working sa gabi, she would be in front of her laptop looking for places to invest gaya nga ng suggestion ng friend niya. Maraming options ang available kaya naman she took time to get to know each business. Then another idea came to mind but, of course, hindi magiging mabilis ang process, so she asked some people for their advise.

 

"You can start by canvassing which product you'd like to focus on. The options are plenty, but you have to make sure that it's something you really are interested in."

 

"I like fashion. Which I know is very general. I think I can start from there."

 

"Hmm. That's an okay choice, but the problem is, there is already a lot of competition. Are you talking about just clothes, shoes, bags or accessories? Aside from that, you have to look for suppliers and, mind you, that's a tricky one as well. I know some people who spent a long time finding the right one."

 

Napaisip si Jennie. Ang dami palang kailangan tignan bago magsimula ng bagong karera.

 

"I guess I'll think about it real hard and ask my fiancé about it."

 

"I understand. But hey, it's great that you're making decisions on your own now and without the fear of your parents' approval."

 

"I know."

*****************************

 

 

 

 

A/N:

We don't know what's going to happen in the future. We can only hope that things will be better. (Wendy to Jisoo, previous chapter)

Something fitting to current events. I wasn't able to vote and it's something I regret. I know that we all deserve a good change in our lives. That it's time for people to wake up to a better tomorrow. And without the fear of history repeating itself.

Kinaya ng mga nauna sa atin ang pagsubok at paghihirap. Kakayanin ulit natin kahit ano pang mangyayari.