DAHLIA

My Last Grace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Dahlias bring life and beauty to your garden
A token of affection of a lover to his maiden
A gift of the living to the remembered dead
Dahlias feed your soul as body is fed with bread."

- Anonymous 

 

 



 

"Promise me you will take care of your self and omma there. The bank account I gave you last night has enough money for you and omma to start a new life. You understand, Durami-ah?"

 

 

Durami nodded but still gave Sandara a suspicious look. "What are you up to, unnie?" She finally asked this question as she held her luggage closer.

 

 

Sandara sighed as she looked around. They were inside the Incheon International Airport departure area. Her mother and Durami were ready to leave. Bound for North America.

 

 

When she told them they are temporarily gonna leave the country and live in Illinois, USA, her sister and mother were confused but didn't object. Maybe because of the seriousness in her voice.

 

 

But now, maybe because their mother is currently using the restroom before departure, Durami got the chance to ask her 'why'.

 

 

"Do you trust me?" Sandara asked back instead.

 

 

Durami hesitated but nodded. "Yes but I'm wo--"

 

 

Sandara cuts her sister by hugging her. "Trust me with this. And don't worry about me. Just slowly start a new life there with mom. I promise to contact you."

 

 

Durami sighed as she pulled out from the hug. She is looking at Sandara, seriously. "Please don't hurt your self." She could only say.

 

 

Sandara smiled at her caring sister. "I'll be careful, don't worry. You won't reach me with my old number and by email so wait for me to contact you and mom first. Don't come back in South Korea unless I tell you. Arasso?" She reminded her carefully.

 

 

Sandara knows her sister is scared and wanted to ask more questions but Durami's trust to her is bigger than her fear so she let it go for now. Also, their mom is coming back to them now.

 

 

Sandara felt sad looking at the only family she has left now. It would take a while before she can see them again. But not seeing them and not living in the country would be for their own good...and safety.

 

 

Sandara hugged her mom, as well. "Omma, maybe you can start a new life there in America. Who knows people there will like your delicious kimchi dishes and you can start your own restaurant." She said, trying to sound cheerful.

 

 

Her mother hugged her back. A small smile on her lips. "Going there might help us forget and start a new life. You can come with us, if you want too, you know." She said.

 

 

Sandara smiled at this as she kissed her mother on the cheek. "Someday." That was a faint promise.

 

 

Sandara bid her goodbyes to her family as she watches them disappear behind the doors towards the departure area. 

 

 

As they disappeared, so is her smile. 

 

 

She is now alone. 


 

She looked around one more time, feeling a bit sad and melancholic, before sighing as she started to walk towards a specific place she found earlier that day.

 

 

'Hair Spa & Salon'

 

 

The receptionist there greeted her warmly once she entered the salon and guided her to a vacant seat. She told Sandara to wait for the stylist.

 

 

Not long after, a gay stylist came in front of her, he gave her hair a quick look before giving her his biggest smile.

 

 

"What can I do for you, Miss Beautiful?" he asked her in a cheery tone.

 

 

Sandara looked at her reflection on the mirror in front of her as she touched her long dyed-colored locks one more time. She couldn't describe what she's feeling inside as she gave the orders to the stylist.

 

 

"Cut it short, mid-neck length. And color it black, please." She told.

 

 

The stylist looked surprise as he looked at her hair with pity. No one could blame him. She has the perfect long hair fitting for a model. So, cutting it short is like a hair burial for the stylist.

 

 

Instead of saying something against it he just smiled at her as he started to put the nylon cape around her neck and snapped the closure around it. 

 

 

"Pronto." he said and started doing his job.

 

 

Sandara closed her eyes, and tried to relax. And while the stylist is cutting her hair, her mind drifted to when the time she talked to the President of South Korea.

 

 

 

 

President Yang was silently reading the paper Sandara gave him. He has been sitting behind his big mahogany table for a while now.

 

 

They were in the Blue House and as Sandara is a guest of honor for the President, all his schedules were cleared on that day to accommodate Sandara.

 

 

And even with this, Sandara still felt a bit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter