MAGNOLIA

My Last Grace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


"The flower that follows the sun does so even in cloudy days."

-Robert L.

 

 

 

 

"Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 89B to Seoul. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes time. Thank you."

 

 

Sandara sighed as she straightened up and pulled her luggage closer. Ready to board the plane home.

 

 

She looked around the Narita International Airport. She's feeling a bit sad doing this. If before, when she's flying, it's either for work or visiting home a bit then she would fly back to Japan few days later. But this time, she won't be coming back so soon. She'll be staying in South Korea longer this time.

 

 

It will take a while before she goes back here or in any country in leisure. Or even be back to her old routine. 

 

 

Sandara has a feeling she won't be back to her old life for a long while.

 

 

Losing someone is losing something inside her too. Also, she has no purpose anymore on working harder to send money to her brother's education.

 

 

'Sanghyun is gone.'

 

 

A tear fell from her eyes.

 

 

She's in this state when a red ball rolled on her shoes. She was startled a bit, stared at it, before picking up the ball.

 

 

She looked up to find the owner of the ball. And just a walking distance away from her, she saw this toddler boy wobbly running towards her while opening his arms to her. He wanted his ball back.

 

 

Sandara smiled a bit at this as she prepared to give the ball back to the boy when a man in tuxedo blocked her.

 

 

"Sorry, Miss. I need the ball." The man said, formally.

 

 

"My ball!!!" The boy screamed as he was now dragged to the boarding line. The men in tuxedos surrounding him seemed like does not want the kid to be closer to other passengers.

 

 

He seemed to be a handful kid too. 'Terrible Twos.' Sandara thought.

 

 

"Here." She gave the ball to the man.

 

 

The man bowed at her in thanks as he walked to the boy.

 

 

"Here, Master Gunhoo." 

 

 

The boy giggled having his ball back as he cooperated in lining now to board the plane.

 

 

Looks like he and Sandara will be having the same flight too.

 

 

In Sandara's surprise the boy waved at her. Must be thanking her.

 

 

Sandara smiled as she waved back at him.

 

 

Suddenly that moment, Sandara was reminded of her brother Sanghyun when he was around that age. Cute and innocent.

 

 

Sandara's smile dropped at the memory of this as she turned her back to the boy. She didn't want him to see her crying.

 

 

Sandara waited a bit more for her turn to board, and when all the small children and vulnerable passengers were now boarded, it's time for the ordinary passengers to board the plane.

 

 

Sandara lined up and showed her ticket and passport.

 

 

"First class passenger, this way." The flight attendant smiled widely at Sandara as she guided her to the special class.

 

 

"Eh?" Sandara was confused. She looked at her ticket again, and indeed, she's in first class.

 

 

Bom must have booked her first class. Probably to make her rest comfortably. Sandara smiled at this. 'Thanks, Bom.'

 

 

Sandara followed the attendant to her assigned seat. First class passengers really do get extra service for everything.

 

 

Sandara put her seatbelt on and settled comfortably on her seat. Days of sleepless nights and tears took a toll on her body that as soon as she leaned her head on the headrest, she fell asleep right away.

 

 

She will deal with grief and other things again later. But for now, she needed to rest for what's ahead.

 

 

 

 

Sandara didn't know how long she was sleeping when she felt something on her leg.

 

 

Sandara slowly opened her eyes, held a yawn, as she looked down. There's the red ball again.

 

 

Sandara picked it up and two tiny hands were already there for her.

 

 

"My ball." The boy said, looking excited to have his ball back.

 

 

Sandara looked around and he saw the man in tuxedo from before on the other aisle looking around. Probably looking for this young boy. They didn't notice her and the boy yet. This boy was probably playing or running in the plane that his caregivers lost sight of him.

 

 

"Here." Sandara smiled and gave the ball to the welcoming hands of the boy. She couldn't help but pat his head gently too. "What's your name?" 

 

 

"Gunhoo." And he showed her his smile with front teeth missing.

 

 

'How adorable.' Sandara still patted his head. "Don't lose your ball again, Gunhoo-ah. Arasso?"

 

 

Gunhoo nodded as he now walked away. Sandara saw how his caretakers who were dressed formally sighed in relief at the sight of him.

 

 

Looks like Gunho is from an important family to have this men in tuxedos protecting or babysitting him. They're flying in first class too.

 

 

Sandara shrugged her shoulders as she went back to sleep.

 

 

"On behalf of Korean Airlines, the flight crew would like to welcome you to Incheon International Airport. We will be arriving at the gate momentarily. Please remain in your seats with your seat belt securely fastened until the aircraft has come to a complete stop at the terminal gate. We hope you had a pleasant flight with Korean Airlines for your travel needs. We are pleased you chose to fly with us today and wish you a good evening.”

 

 

Sandara woke up just in time for the landing announcement. She prepared her things to disembark anytime.

 

 

Sandara closed her eyes and heaved a deep breathe. She's finally home. But her reason coming back here is different this time. She came home to bury her brother.

 

 

Sandara's heart even became heavier at this. She is still mourning at his death. She sighed. She does not know when she will stop feeling like this. Or when would this 'guilt' will go away.

 

 

No one is waiting for her outside the airport, too. She would go straight to the homestead where his brother's funeral service is privately held. Her mother and sister would wait for her there. She specifically asked not to pick her up from the airport. She knew her mother and sister were already tired as it is.

 

 

She is still in this state of mind even after going through the immigration process, and even when she finally picked up her luggages.

 

 

Sandara walked to the special exit for the first class passengers. She went straight to the exit that has taxis waiting from there. She will ride a cab from there. 

 

 

Sandara smelled the air of Incheon. 'Home.' She smiled, bitterly at this. It would've felt different if she came home, happy, and looking forward to meet her family. But not this time, she came home, mourning, and deep in regrets. Reg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter