The Aftermath

She, who finally arrived.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If she could hear the sound of his broken heart, she will stop saying what she have said to him. She would have regretted that she have said it to him. To this one man who knew nothing but just to say out loud what his heart was feeling. His honest confession was met with unforeseen cruel answer of hers. His heart cracked into smaller pieces and though he may not yet feel it but when he finally did, he knew that nothing could save him.

He will once again be left to die in this race of love and destiny. For him, there will never be love nor affection.

He knew not why he kept making the same mistake. The mistake of loving the wrong woman.

They were both silent and the noodle shop surprisingly was lively with the sound of laughter, clatter of spoons and forks and here, around them, the silence loomed around the two of them and it was suffocating too.

He gave himself a sip of water before finally said to her, “Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry Seo Woo shii. I must have killed your appetite. Should I leave now so that we will not get killed by this awkwardness?”.

Seo Woo was still playing her noodles with a fork. She could not look up and see this man in his eyes. She knew how much bravery and honesty that went into that confession and without much thinking, she just killed it with her heartless selfish reply.

“How more selfish could you be, Han Seo Woo? You will regret this decision of not giving him a chance. He’s a good guy and you’re somewhat attracted to him but here you are, rejected him without batting an eye and you will cry a river for this foolish mistake!”

“But how should I know that we will not be ending up like me and Jae Wook oppa?? Jae Wook was a nice man too when I knew him. How could I live if I were to face that kind of fate again?? If that were to happen again, I have no one to blame but myself. How am I supposed to live my life making the same kind of mistake??”

“Life is about making mistakes and correct them too. How will you know if he is the one if you’re not giving yourself this chance of getting to know him??”

“Shut up! This is my life and I have the right to make this decision tonight!”.

“Right, Han Seo Woo. But maybe this decision of yours will be one that you will regret later”.

Her monologue stopped on that last thought and there he was, still patiently waiting for her reply to whether he should leave or not.

He finally gathered his jacket behind his chair and stood up. “ I wish you a good life ahead and I never regret once to have confessed my feeling to you because I really meant what I said earlier” and with that, he left with the darkness of the night and there she was, still wondering if she have made the worst decision ever to reject him and she could have not known until her own heart broke too.

Ha Won left the noodle shop and under the arch of the shop, he turned to see her once again and somehow hoped that he did not cause her any heartache because just looking her like this, his heart pained and he thought to himself that tonight will awfully be a really long one.

When he reached his house in Wokin-dong, he almost stumbled on the front door when his legs finally gave up on him. With a bit of strength left, he heaved himself onto the sofa and laid there for hours and hours and finally when the cracks of dawn finally appeared, his body was still heaving greatly with grief and surely no sleep will come to him in next few days.

But he somehow now had found the strength he was waiting for, after all these years. He knew that it is now or never. This decision will be his alone to make and now he has decided to make it happen.

In her semi-basement room, sleep did not come easily to her too. She may have finally slept a bit for an hour or two before waking up to a headache that was throbbing.

All feelings were surrounding her thoughts. Those feelings felt like a cage, really strong and big to hold a monster or beast. They held her from doing what she was supposed to do.

She was supposed to admit that she felt the same about him but, guilt, shame, remorse and ambivalence, all blended together to come to an answer that she finally came to regret.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter