the rap battle

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

It’s a miracle they’ve pulled it off in just two days.
Well, more like, a day and a half. They announced Eunbi as the MC, the rappers concocted their backing tracks, MNet provided them with the lights and some stuff to decorate the stage with, so it wouldn’t look as miserable and devoid of fun as earlier. The platoon had completely abandoned their military duties, but it paid off. Officers and privates — both idol and regular — are enjoying the show. 
Bona is sitting in the first row, flaunting her privilege as one of the performing rappers’ co-member. Similarly, YooA has taken a seat next to her: Mimi has also decided to participate and challenged Stone Buddha — so Bona is chatting her up. Jooeun of DIA is watching YooA’s back, supported by Kim Nayoung, who is her namesake’s support tonight.
The rest of the idols are surrounding them, so they won’t be left alone.
Eunbi is determining the order of performances in the best way possible.
«Scissors, paper, rock!»
Ki Heehyun loses with her rock; Exy tries hard not to gloat.
«Scissors, paper, rock!»
Im Nayoung loses with her scissors. Exy is riding high on luck, Mimi glances at YooA — the dancer makes a ‘fighting!’ gesture.
«Scissors, paper, rock!»
Exy wins. She’s the first one to perform, so she stays on the stage, posing quite regally. Eunbi sends the losers backstage and makes a tiny spiel about Exy. Surprisingly, it is really flattering.
Armoured in black lipstick, black Vans and a Metallica t-shirt, Exy goes for the uniqueness. Obviously, I’m not just an ordinary idol, states she in her verses. But I’m not an underground nobody, either! I’m synthesising two opposites, I’m more than this, I can’t be measured with your ruler, I am more than your poor imagination gives me credit for. Watch me go and conquer, smearing my casual shoes with the blood of my defeated enemies. Wanna go next? Or will you crown me already?
Bona turns around and scans the crowd’s reaction. Judging by the (overtly) excited cheers, the soldiers loved the references, and they’re digging Exy’s arrogant delivery. 
Behind her, Jisoo hums, «Exy is a strong competitor. Very in tune with the surroundings. But a bit egotistic?» 
Bona counters, «A soldier who doesn’t want to be a general is a bad soldier».
«Must be why she’s your leader», half-laughs Jisoo. «Off to a good start, eh?»
Eunbi announces Mimi in a similar affectionate fashion. Bona feels, rather than hears, YooA’s excited gasp: the fanchants drown it completely. Mimi sweetly waves, then grapples onto the microphone and arches her brow. It’s time to discard the shyness and get down to business. 
Mimi presents her rap like it is her vitality; her nature, even. In the process of becoming an adult, her own person, obtaining a profession, walking the path of her fate — the rap plays the titular role, being Mimi’s main instrument to define herself…
Bona’s phone buzzes. A new message.
«How is my rapper doing?» asks Hyojung. Bona bites her lip, glances at YooA next to her, and types, «She is doing really well. Very befitting of OMG’s stage experience».
«Oof! Really? I’m so relieved», the answer rushes in. «I worked really hard on her backing track about the artistry». 
«Showing off, sunbae?»
«I would prefer ‘impressing’». 
«I guess, I could agree with your wording».
There is a brief pause, and then Hyojung is typing again.
«Not to brag, but, to turn it from simply ‘impressive’ into ‘completely astonishing’…»
«Not to brag???»
«…I helped Mimi to conceptualise the love song, too. Has she performed it yet?»
«No, not yet». 
«Ooooh. You’re in for a surprise! :)~»
«I’m intrigued. I’ll write you as soon as she performs it».
«Yes, please! I’d love some feedback». 
«You got it, sunbae».
Pocketing her phone and zoning back in, Bona realises she has missed the best part of Im Nayoung’s rap; she comes to her senses right on time to catch the moral of the story. Im Nayoung has shed her stoicism in favour of unflappable swag and cranked up the velvety of her voice. She raps about spotlight and its metamorphic properties, presenting her music as magical, transformative force. 
The idols are clapping approvingly; the privates are mesmerised by leader Im’s tone; as soon as the song ends, they start hooting (Bona is almost sure she can hear Kim Nayoung doing the same, using her alluring alto). After this, there is only one rapper to throw herself into the first round of the competition — the original challenger herself. Im Nayoung passes the mic to DIA’s leader and stealthily pats Heehyun’s ; Eunbi announces leader Ki and rushes to the backstage, because she knows something Bona does not.
Heehyun snaps her fingers, «Hit it!» 
Eunbi pushes the play button and turns on the music with a heavy, prevalent bass line. It’s bragging, showy and overbearing, and it sounds very much like a diss track. 
«Oh, I hope it’s what I think it is», eagerly gasps Jisoo right in Bona’s ear and crosses her fingers.
Heehyun doesn’t disappoint and starts her rap with a spiteful cry, «Motherers!» The audience audibly inhales. Jooeun giggles; YooA smirks, and Kim Nayoung whoops loudly. Heehyun throws them a wink and proceeds to set the stage on fire. Cursing non-stop throughout the whole rap, Heehyun mocks both idol and underground rappers’ snobbery, disses lookism, damns ism, castigates sleazy, predatory seniors, flips the agencies off, denounces greed, rips nepotism into pieces and, in conclusion, stresses that she’s very angry. 
As if the audience hasn’t gotten the hunch already, thinks Bona, shaking her head. She heard that Heehyun is very opinionated, and she has already gotten to know firsthand the attitude of DIA’s leader, but she feels shocked nevertheless. She’s happier when they start the second round, with Nayoung and Exy tied at the first place.
Exy’s love track is a prolonged version of her original rap from their latest b-side «You Got», and Bona isn’t really listening; she is way too familiar with it, and her attention is focused on her phone instead. She’s pulled back to the surroundings around her, only when YooA pulls her own p

Please log in to read the full chapter