the birth of the platoon

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

Glancing pitifully at YooA, who is currectly crawling under the net, Exy sighs, «I feel more claustrophobic here than I felt back in the dorms. Hyunjung warned me, and to think that I didn’t listen and asked her about hook-ups instead!..»
Eavesdropping Mimi flinches, «You asked Seola about hook-ups? Here?» — but Kei shoos her to the obstacle course and grumbles bitterly, «You feel claustrophobic, and yet you’ve been here less than a week in total. While we’ve been marinated here for a god damn month».
«3 weeks and 4 days», corrects her Eunbi, watching Bona crawl under the net, following YooA. «One more week, and my own maknaes won’t remember my name».
«Whatever! Feels like a month».
«But, since you, guys, have finished with your promotions…» starts Seunghee.
«Almost», nods Exy.
«When will you be done?» huffs Kei. «We need as many people as possible to defend… our own».
«I know, right? Who does she think she is?» lowering her voice, comments Exy.
«She thinks that if she’s a woman, no one is going to do anything», seethes Seunghee in disdain and leaves: it’s her turn to struggle at the course.
Exy glances at the finish line: Sowon announces YooA’s time and makes her laugh a little, Bona finishes her run and, gently grabbing the dancer’s elbow, leads YooA (still slightly baffled by Sowon’s jokes) into Nayeon and Jisoo’s tight entitled circle.  Exy can hear Nayeon’s humorous wailing: «I lost to Hani sunbaenim! How? I am devastated!» — and the others’ laughter from where she’s standing. 
But what can one do about this situation? Jiyeon seemingly has chosen to physically stick with YooA from now on, but soon they have to go back to Seoul, so Jiyeon’s promise to Hyojung might go unfulfilled. Maybe, she should speak to Sowon?
«Exy, don’t just stand there, get inside the obstacle course», calls out Sowon. «The crew is here, it’s time to show off».

***

«WJSN better finish their promotions quick and drag their asses back here», gloomily mentions Nayeon, once Bona and YooA leave them to watch Exy crawl, run and jump. «We need more backs to hide YooA with».
«She’s such a creep, right?!» heatedly echoes Jisoo.
«Yeah. I feel like an , but I’m glad it isn’t me», admits Nayeon.
«Oh, you’ve had enough of your own headaches», reassures her Jisoo, as any good friend would do.
«You, too, Jichu».
They blankly stare at people prettily cheering for Exy under the camera crew’s scrutiny, both haunted by the creep encounters they have had or heard of. 
Jisoo gathers the strength to break the mood first, «Isn’t that funny? While Bona is a part of our ‘visual’ line, she’s not in our spinster club?»
Nayeon winces, «Jichu, dear, stop calling this club ours… But yeah, she’s dating one of her Chinese co-members. Long-term, long-distance».
Glad that her plan has worked, Jisoo muses aloud, «I have never crossed path with her girlfriend. I just searched the girl on the web the other night, so all I know is that she’s pretty. But, then again, I have yet to see an ugly foreign idol».
True, nods Nayeon and shares, «I know she used to be quite a social butterfly, one true insider of the Chinese idol diaspora. I am aware of her existence through Tzuyu».
«I thought, your maknae is a recluse?» asks Jisoo, tilting her head.
«Not for her Chinese pals. Xuan Yi had broken Tzuyu’s personal barriers long time ago and, if circumstances were slightly different, could have dated my baby Yoda».
«But she picked Bona».
«Or Bona picked her».
Both look at the girl. Strutting back and forth along the obstacle course, Bona is fooling around with YooA, pretending to shoot an advertisement in front of cameras. Her gummy smile reminds Nayeon of Mina: frankly, WJSN’s visual has a lot in common with Twice’s resident hikikomori. First of all, looking like a complete heartless— well, colder than she is on the inside. Second…
«You get it, right?» thoughtfully asks Jisoo, pulling Nayeon out of growing homesickness. «Because I get it. It’s the ‘exotic lady’ trope. You have your four enigmatic foreigners…»
Nayeon snorts, «I have one enigmatic Chinese. The other three are just Hungry, Thirsty and ».
It takes Jisoo a second to decipher who’s who. When it clicks in her head, she laughs and goes on, «Anyway, you get it, and I get it. I understand Bona’s standpoint. I mean, I am the only normal person in my group».
«Jichu, you’re the least normal in Blackpink», counters Nayeon.
«My goody two sh

Please log in to read the full chapter